Deputies shoot, kill hammer-wielding ...

Deputies shoot, kill hammer-wielding woman

There are 2367 comments on the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution story from Dec 17, 2010, titled Deputies shoot, kill hammer-wielding woman. In it, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that:

A woman was shot and killed by law enforcement in Bartow County Thursday night after she attacked a deputy with a hammer, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

First Prev
of 119
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Atlanta, GA

#1 Dec 17, 2010
Could this and stories like it become required reading at the jail? Maybe even in high school. It's pretty simple to avoid being shot by the police.
Doc Holliday

Ellenwood, GA

#2 Dec 17, 2010
Hmmm...2 cops and 1 woman???? Why did they have to kill her? That just shows you how Bartow's finest work around here. They have a gun and fire it at any given chance because they wear a badge! Could the 2 of them not take control of this 1 woman, or just taser her?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bottomlineis

Elgin, OK

#3 Dec 17, 2010
Owl 1234 wrote:
Could this and stories like it become required reading at the jail? Maybe even in high school. It's pretty simple to avoid being shot by the police.
Good idea Owl, But I worked for the State years ago, and from the number increase of people in jail since back in my day and time it seems that some people are just untrainable. LOL!

Atlanta, GA

#4 Dec 17, 2010
That's true, they are untrainable or they wouldn't be there in the first place. Oh well, nothing like starting with the people who need it most. As for Doc, you should really put some thought into the idea of getting hit with a hammer before you post stuff like that. I can't think of a single place on my body I'd let someone hit me with one. Tasers aren't intended to control armed people who are attacking you, that's what your gun is for. But, I'm wasting my breath. You have no need to know this information and that said, I have no need to teach you.
Jake_S

Lawrenceville, GA

#6 Dec 17, 2010
You should always remember that many cops have seen military action and have probably killed women AND children while overseas.
black14

United States

#7 Dec 17, 2010
Ability opportunity jeopardy. That person knew what could happen if they attacked. They chose the outcome and forced the officer to do what had to be done. I pray the officers come to terms with what happened and know they did the right thing so they could go home to their family in the same way they left. You have ppl behind you and supporting you no matter what other ppl may say.
Elmer da Fuddy Duddy

Rochester, NY

#8 Dec 17, 2010
how big was this woman? was she like Chyna Doll of the WWE? I guess a punch to the face or a taser wouldn't have subdued her. But then again, if you kill a suspect, they can't sue you for police burtality.
The cop had injuries to his hand? Hell, look at cops, most have band-aids from bite marks on their fingers after eating at Donut shops
Elmer da Fuddy Duddy

Rochester, NY

#9 Dec 17, 2010
just how big was this woman, like Chyna Doll of the WWE? or Precious size?
Couldnt they have just punched her in the face or tasered her to subdue her? I guess just killing them helps eliminate any police brutality charges.
Cop was wounded in the hand? Look at cops, many have band-aids on their fingers from bite marks after eating at Donut shops.
BottomLineReally Is

Cartersville, GA

#10 Dec 17, 2010
Deputies do not carry tasers. And the deputy that got hit in the hand had just returned back to wok after recovering from reconstructive surgery to the same hand she hit with the hammer.

Bottom line really is.. NONE OF YOU were there and therefore have no room to judge or make ignorant decisions on what you think happened. Put yourself in their boots for a change.

Atlanta, GA

#11 Dec 17, 2010
Cops have gotten in trouble for punching people in the face, tazing them, spraying them, being rude. They just can't win unless they're at the doughnut shop getting made fun of it sounds like. In this case, from just the info that's out, they did the right thing and they'd be criticized by some no matter what. If they hadn't shot her, you'd criticize the partner if one got killed. If they tazed her, you'd assume she was a 92lb sorority girl pulling a prank and she didn't need to be tazed. Enjoy this conversation without me because it seems there's an endless number of uninformed people with opinions that start once the dust settles.
GameChanger

Buford, GA

#12 Dec 17, 2010
The fact that the defendant (or subject) as female should have no effect on anything. The case should be treated no different than if it had been a male doing the same exact thing.

That said, if I was a police officer and I told the suspect to drop the weapon and place your hands up, and the suspect did not comply, I would probably have done the same thing, shoot. That is what a police officer is trained to do.

Size, strength, and especially gender DO NOT MATTER.

If a suspect is brandishing a weapon towards you, you have no choice than to disarm the suspect. If they refuse to cooperate, you have no choice than to use force.

Unless you are willing to let them kill or harm you insead. I'm not. Are you?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
plumber

Kennesaw, GA

#13 Dec 17, 2010
little bitch probably needed killed anyway good job too bad they didn't kill her piece of shit armed robbery suspect bf
Defense

Cartersville, GA

#14 Dec 17, 2010
She charged him and was not in plain view. Easy to judge when you weren't either of the 3 people there living out those 15 seconds in slow motion. There was a known ARMED wanted man there and they were proceeding as such when someone attacked. Bottom line. It is a sad situation for all involved.
FAT BOY

Ellenwood, GA

#15 Dec 17, 2010
BOTTOMLINE THEY DO CARRY TASERS AND TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH....AND I HAVE A LITTLE MORE KNOWLEDGE OF THIS INCIDENT THAN READING IT IN THE PAPER OR HEARING RUMORS, AND THATS ALL IM GONNA SAY.
Doc Holliday

Ellenwood, GA

#16 Dec 17, 2010
Owl 1234 wrote:
That's true, they are untrainable or they wouldn't be there in the first place. Oh well, nothing like starting with the people who need it most. As for Doc, you should really put some thought into the idea of getting hit with a hammer before you post stuff like that. I can't think of a single place on my body I'd let someone hit me with one. Tasers aren't intended to control armed people who are attacking you, that's what your gun is for. But, I'm wasting my breath. You have no need to know this information and that said, I have no need to teach you.
You do not need to teach me anything...and yes I would defend my self if I were being attacked by a hammer-wielding women, but with 2 of them there they could have handled it a different way...and not in front of her 3 kids...maybe I should have used a taser on the cop that I caught sleeping in his patrol car at the pool in my subdivision the other night...I thought he was dead because he was slumped over against the window...you know who you are!!! I wish I could sleep on the job....
Carrie

Cartersville, GA

#17 Dec 17, 2010
plumber wrote:
little bitch probably needed killed anyway good job too bad they didn't kill her piece of shit armed robbery suspect bf
How rude is that she was mentally unstable and I knew her personally. She has a previous charge for the same kinda thing. they should have done her homework before they entered her home. That was not her boyfriend and I am sure she was not even aware of what they did. You need to have respect for people. And do not degrade women!!! That makes you a piece of shit !!!!!!
Andy Taylor

United States

#18 Dec 17, 2010
Blast her ass take a swing at me and thats what I would do.
chocolate fudgesickle

Gainesville, GA

#19 Dec 17, 2010
I bet them cops be lying!!! They likes to plant evidents! Never trust dem cops!
carriesdad

United States

#20 Dec 17, 2010
carrie stfu you wh ore
nickel

Marietta, GA

#21 Dec 17, 2010
Hmmmm, they did so maybe because she attacked them with a weapon and INJURED one? Ya think? You don't think you would use some kind of force to PROTECT yourself? And how do you think they are supposed to "take control" of a crazy woman attacking them with a hammer?! Probably ask her nicely to back up and put the hammer down?! BTW, tasers cause injury and death also......
Doc Holliday wrote:
Hmmm...2 cops and 1 woman???? Why did they have to kill her? That just shows you how Bartow's finest work around here. They have a gun and fire it at any given chance because they wear a badge! Could the 2 of them not take control of this 1 woman, or just taser her?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 119
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tucker Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bait Car In Atlanta (Nov '11) 25 min Go Blue Forever 45
News Police address mix-up leaves man, officer wound... 26 min Go Blue Forever 1
Why do white people HATE Barack Obama??? (Jun '10) 35 min Go Blue Forever 1,257
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr I hate taggers 20,108
Debate: Obama Economy - Stone Mountain, GA (Feb '12) 7 hr Mary 12
The South Continues to Betray its own History f... 8 hr wjabbe 29
News Pop-up soccer coming to Downtown, Buckhead, Old... 14 hr Chip Long 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tucker Mortgages