Mayor Finch: Bass Pro will be built this year

Posted in the Trumbull Forum

bptnews

Bridgeport, CT

#1 Mar 15, 2014
While skeptics continue to question whether Bass Pro Shops will truly open its promised new store at Bridgeport’s Steel Point site, it seems very hard to believe they’d back out considering all of the fanfare and the heap of state cash they’re getting.
But it’s true that the schedule to build and open the tourist-magnet off of I-95 by Bridgeport’s harbor has been continually pushed back.
First it would be open by Christmas, 2013. Then it was supposed to open by the middle of this year. Then the date was moved to 2015.
Mayor Bill Finch in this week’s state-of-the-city address didn’t make the same mistake he made in the 2013 address when he said Bass Pro would break ground that year. He just didn’t bring it up.
But Thursday night, during a Democratic Town Committee meeting, Finch in a brief address to the party faithful said,“We’ve got Steel Point coming back with a vengeance, Bass Pro being built this summer.”
BPT

Bridgeport, CT

#2 Mar 15, 2014
they will build it..........but will the locals and the public come?
remember
history repeats itself. this is the same story that we have heard in Bridgeport before with jai alai, the dog-track.
the arena seems to be working. the bluefish, well they are the bluefish!
but a sporting goods store?
BPT

Bethel, CT

#3 Mar 15, 2014
they need a lower level pro basketball arena..........
will they build it..........
Hmmmmm...... I WANT to see that
What do you think
BPTguy

Jersey City, NJ

#4 Mar 15, 2014
BPT wrote:
they need a lower level pro basketball arena..........
will they build it..........
Hmmmmm...... I WANT to see that
What do you think
Its called the Webster Bank Arena, it was built about....12 years ago ?????

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#5 Mar 15, 2014
BPT wrote:
they will build it..........but will the locals and the public come?
remember
history repeats itself. this is the same story that we have heard in Bridgeport before with jai alai, the dog-track.
the arena seems to be working. the bluefish, well they are the bluefish!
but a sporting goods store?
Since the Bass Pro stores are huge, and like Cabela's, they are a major destination, maybe the suburbanites will visit the Bridgeport location when they are in town for an event at the arena or the ball park. Same kinda demographic segment too; younger, well-heeled guy who likes sports and buys sporting equipment.
BPT

Bridgeport, CT

#7 Mar 16, 2014
Citizen44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the Bass Pro stores are huge, and like Cabela's, they are a major destination, maybe the suburbanites will visit the Bridgeport location when they are in town for an event at the arena or the ball park. Same kinda demographic segment too; younger, well-heeled guy who likes sports and buys sporting equipment.
but for any tourist destination to work it must have the support of the locals.

Sol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#8 Mar 24, 2014
Citizen44 wrote:
If they don't stock glow-in-the-dark size 15 B-Ball shooze then you're NOT gonna see a lot of local kids in there...
…maybe the suburbanites will visit the Bridgeport location when they are in town for an event at the arena or the ball park
NOT once those suburb-dwellers (and I can't really believe that if they've been living around here long enough they wouldn't already know it) realize what part of the city it is in, how far they're going to have to drive (through those kinds of areas) to get to safety, and the fact that "daylight is falling fast!".

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#9 Mar 25, 2014
Sol wrote:
<quoted text>If they don't stock glow-in-the-dark size 15 B-Ball shooze then you're NOT gonna see a lot of local kids in there...
<quoted text>NOT once those suburb-dwellers (and I can't really believe that if they've been living around here long enough they wouldn't already know it) realize what part of the city it is in, how far they're going to have to drive (through those kinds of areas) to get to safety, and the fact that "daylight is falling fast!".
While I agree completely with your logic, and surely it will keep some people away, the same logic would apply to the arena and the baseball stadium, yet people go there. And driving thru those areas is even worse. Keep in mind that for the new store, you would use the seaview ave exit, which flows a lot more freely than the other exits which access downtown.

If I were running that store, I would fire anyone who dared to stock glow in the dark stoopid shoes, because that will bring in the thugs- which is exactly what killed the sears mall downtown 20 years ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man charged in rental flap (Nov '08) 6 hr Citizen44 53
News Stratford Police Arrests Include Drug, Assault,... 7 hr American Gentlema... 1
Diocese Of Bridgeport Celebrates Health-Care Wo... 12 hr American Gentlema... 4
Mail theft ringleader sentenced 12 hr MrMr 1
Bridgeport agency sets out to promote downtown 15 hr American Gentlema... 2
News State Sen. Gomes among Speakers At Multicultura... 15 hr American Gentlema... 15
News Trumbull cop pleads guilty to sexually assaulti... Tue best mom ever 6
More from around the web

Trumbull People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]