Bridgeport only movie theater is closing

Posted in the Trumbull Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ctnews

Bridgeport, CT

#1 Jul 6, 2014
BRIDGEPORT -- This could be the last July 4th weekend that the explosions, gunfire and screams synonymous with summer movie blockbusters rock the walls in the Showcase Cinemas on Canfield Avenue.

After two decades, the owner of the old Black Rock neighborhood movie house -- National Amusements -- announced it would put the multiplex on the market, further reducing film fanatics' options in Greater Bridgeport.

In December Regal Stratford Stadium announced that it would close and be replaced by L. A. Fitness.

The shuttered Showcase Cinema on Milford's Boston Post Road is expected to become a new Shop Rite in coming years.

But the Bridgeport closing was a shock to nearly a dozen moviegoers leaving a recent showing.

"I was unaware of this," said Tara Collins, president of the Black Rock Business Council. Collins, who owns Black Rock Physical Therapy had just left a late afternoon performance of Maleficent, with her partner, Laura Pennock, who owns Black Rock Pilates, their 7-year-old daughter, Sophie Pennock-Collins, and others.

"We come here a lot but apparently not often enough," said Pennock. "It's a real shame Bridgeport is losing another movie theater."

Rachel Lulay, a spokesman for the Massachusetts-based National, said there are too many theaters in the area for the local market to handle. National Amusements also owns Fairfield Cinemas at Bullard Square, which is just around the block from Showcase on the Fairfield line.

"We currently operate 21 screens in the Bridgeport/Fairfield area and will be able to efficiently satisfy existing demand with the 9 screens at ... Bullard Square," Lulay said in a statement.

"We have no plans to discontinue operating Showcase Cinemas in Bridgeport prior to sale," she emphasized.

While Bullard Square may just be around the corner, Showcase moviegoers are partial to their theater.

"I like this one better," said Keisha Baker, who lives just a few blocks away on Orland Street. "The seats are better. The customer service is great. I've been coming here for years and I feel like I know everyone who works here."

David Toth, who lives five minutes away, said he would miss the Showcase.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Fans-lame...
stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#2 Jul 9, 2014
I remember looking forward to going to the Merritt Theater as a kid. Goes to show you how long I've been away from Bridgeport!!!
Nulli Secundus

Monroe, CT

#3 Jul 9, 2014
ctnews wrote:
BRIDGEPORT -- This could be the last July 4th weekend that the explosions, gunfire and screams synonymous with summer movie blockbusters rock the walls in the Showcase Cinemas on Canfield Avenue.
Maybe not so many explosions, but the REST of Bri'po' has got PLENTY of gunfire and screams the REST of the year.
BPT

Bristol, CT

#4 Jul 10, 2014
Nulli Secundus wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe not so many explosions, but the REST of Bri'po' has got PLENTY of gunfire and screams the REST of the year.
said the man from woodbury........such antiquated thinking, not even close to the truth.
BPT

Bristol, CT

#5 Jul 10, 2014
stephanie wrote:
I remember looking forward to going to the Merritt Theater as a kid. Goes to show you how long I've been away from Bridgeport!!!
yes, what memories, there is the cvs strip mall there now.
i remember seeing the getaway, and the exorsist, kelly heros, so many other films there as a kid
stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#6 Jul 10, 2014
BPT wrote:
<quoted text>yes, what memories, there is the cvs strip mall there now.
i remember seeing the getaway, and the exorsist, kelly heros, so many other films there as a kid
I remember walking there with my mom (rest her soul) to see The Entertainer and The Pink Panther. Those are freshest in my mind, at the moment! There were many more outings. Ahhh, the good old days!!!
brandy

Naugatuck, CT

#7 Jul 10, 2014
Nulli Secundus wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe not so many explosions, but the REST of Bri'po' has got PLENTY of gunfire and screams the REST of the year.
How bad does this sh it have to get before you obamahole fans wake up?
stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#8 Jul 10, 2014
Forgive me for straying from the topic, but I also remember going to Frosinone's and Anne's Bakery on Main Street. We'd walk there, too. And I would walk home from school and stop at Crown Budget Market and Schein"s Pharmacy on Madison Ave. My mom didn't drive, and my dad worked a lot, so she'd give me a grocery list & I'd pick up stuff on my way home from school.
BPT

Bridgeport, CT

#9 Jul 10, 2014
stephanie wrote:
Forgive me for straying from the topic, but I also remember going to Frosinone's and Anne's Bakery on Main Street. We'd walk there, too. And I would walk home from school and stop at Crown Budget Market and Schein"s Pharmacy on Madison Ave. My mom didn't drive, and my dad worked a lot, so she'd give me a grocery list & I'd pick up stuff on my way home from school.
and who could forget
pacelli's bakery with the hot rolls on sunday morning after church
jennies pizza
sunshine market on madison ave also
the pix drive in near the river. we used to park on a side street on a hill and watch the movie for free. we did not know what they were saying but we still had a good time.the crystal ballroom downtown for pinball..........maraczi's burgers, i could go on forever.
some people will always look down at bridgeport, what they won't ever understand is that for many of us it's home.
stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#10 Jul 10, 2014
BPT wrote:
<quoted text>and who could forget
jennies pizza
the pix drive in near the river. we used to park on a side street on a hill and watch the movie for free. we did not know what they were saying but we still had a good time.the crystal ballroom downtown for pinball..........maraczi's burgers, i could go on forever.
some people will always look down at bridgeport, what they won't ever understand is that for many of us it's home.
Maraczi's!!! How could I forget Maraczi"s?!!! My parents were professional ballroom dancers waaaay back before us kids were thought of & used to perform at the Ritz. My dad also used to do photography and worked for a time at Len's Camera Shop. And I remember a small penny candy store on Ruth Street between Madison and Park that my mom & I used to walk to, but I can't remember the name of the place. I moved away a long time ago, but still have fond memories. Thank you for helping me remember some of the things that slipped my mind!
stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#11 Jul 10, 2014
I also remember my dad (rest his soul) taking us to the drive-in to see Planet of the Apes. I had nightmares, for some reason, for quite a while afterwards!!!

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#12 Jul 11, 2014
BPT wrote:
<quoted text>and who could forget
jennies pizza
Hey, you have not been online for quite a while- welcome back.

Since: Jun 14

Stratford, CT

#13 Jul 11, 2014
I believe that there is a movie theater on Fairfield Ave. near Main Street.
BPT

Bridgeport, CT

#14 Jul 11, 2014
Citizen44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, you have not been online for quite a while- welcome back.
i've always been here brother poster. i just did not have anything to say or add to the mix.
like i've said to friend and adversary alike..........i'm not going anywhere.
BPT

Bridgeport, CT

#15 Jul 11, 2014
Sir Samuel wrote:
I believe that there is a movie theater on Fairfield Ave. near Main Street.
no sam that one is long gone. it was in the building where two boots now is

Stratford, CT

#16 Jul 11, 2014
Thanks.
stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#17 Jul 11, 2014
What is "two boots"?

Stratford, CT

#18 Jul 11, 2014
Where ladies dance with no clothes on.
stephanie

Willimantic, CT

#19 Jul 11, 2014
Oh! I'm assuming "boots" is all they wear?!...

Stratford, CT

#20 Jul 12, 2014
Yes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I don't like black people. 1 hr jiggyjiggy 2
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Pot calling Kettle 790
Officials Working To Determine Impact Bridgepor... 7 hr Tippy Faulker 2
What happened to Sam only using the stupid name... (Sep '10) 7 hr Tippy Faulker 101
How do you feel about 1 week without Connecti... (Apr '08) 7 hr Tippy Faulker 12
Ex-bank manager admits stealing $516,000 from e... (Apr '09) 8 hr Sir Samuel 336
tv channel eight 20 hr Citizen44 3
•••

Trumbull News Video

•••
Trumbull Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Trumbull Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••