Stratford pastor accused of bilking p...

Stratford pastor accused of bilking parishioners

There are 58 comments on the WTNH story from Mar 19, 2014, titled Stratford pastor accused of bilking parishioners. In it, WTNH reports that:

A Stratford pastor has been charged with stealing more than $170,000 from an elderly church member, while police are investigating similar allegations involving other older parishioners.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTNH.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hercules

Stratford, CT

#47 Mar 30, 2014
Miron 2017 wrote:
Bring back Jim
I would actually take Jim back! Harkins is the biggest disappointment ever. Raise taxes again? What a joke
Darnell

Aptos, CA

#48 Mar 30, 2014
Let us PREY for salvation.

especially with those cute little Altar boys!!!!

Moohoohahahaaaaaaa!!!!!!
Dummy

Stratford, CT

#49 Mar 31, 2014
Hercules wrote:
<quoted text>
I would actually take Jim back! Harkins is the biggest disappointment ever. Raise taxes again? What a joke
People are idiots in stratford AND Connecticut? They continue to vote for idiots. That's why more people are leaving Ct than any other state! Stratford is one of the highest taxed cities in the highest taxed state . So out tell me Harkins is doing a good job raising taxes! Stratford sucks and more and more people will be leaving over the next five years.
Update

Bridgeport, CT

#50 Mar 31, 2014
The felony case against the Rev Robert Genevicz pastor of the Stratford Baptist Church was transferred to the Main Street courthouse where more serious charges are prosecuted.
Genevicz is accused of fleecing $170,000 from an elderly parishioner.
He will appear in Part A on April 22.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#51 Apr 1, 2014
Update wrote:
The felony case against the Rev Robert Genevicz pastor of the Stratford Baptist Church was transferred to the Main Street courthouse where more serious charges are prosecuted.
Genevicz is accused of fleecing $170,000 from an elderly parishioner.
He will appear in Part A on April 22.
There is a lot of news this morning concerning this maggot of a priest. There is no way his actions were a mistake or a misunderstanding- he was simply robbing a timid old lady.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#52 Apr 1, 2014
Our modern society has gotten so sick and lost that even a priest or a pastor can lose his way. I think most of the modern concept of right and wrong is soooo wrong- there is just so much wrong with our society. Most people now reject the old time-tested concepts of right and wrong.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#53 Apr 1, 2014
there was the drunken priest in milford, the meth-smoking priest in Bridgeport, etc. etc. etc.

It must somehow be even worse for priests than it is for the rest of us to follow a christen concept of right and wrong.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#54 Apr 1, 2014
Let priests, nuns, and brothers get marry.
Catholics

Bridgeport, CT

#55 Apr 1, 2014
Reuters)- The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Atlanta has apologized for building a $2.2 million mansion to use as his home, a move that made him the object of derision and complaint, and said he may sell it.

Archbishop Wilton Gregory said he took his "eye off the ball" after the archdiocese received a $15 million donation from the estate of Joseph Mitchell, a nephew "Gone With The Wind" author, Margaret Mitchell.

Pope Francis has been urging Roman Catholic officials to live simpler lives and has renounced the papal apartments in the Vatican palace for modest quarters in a Church guest house.

The Vatican removed a German bishop - dubbed the "bishop of bling" - last month from his job because he spent 31 million euros ($43 million) on a residence where fittings included a bath that cost 15,000 euros and 2.9-million-euro private chapel.

In Monday's edition of The Georgia Bulletin, the newspaper for the Atlanta archdiocese, Gregory wrote: "While my advisors and I were able to justify this project fiscally, logistically and practically, I personally failed to project the cost in terms of my own integrity and pastoral credibility with the people of God of north and central Georgia."

He also said in the newspaper column that the archdiocese would begin the process of selling the mansion "if it is the will" of Church and other advisers.

A Vatican spokesman said he had no comment

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#56 Apr 1, 2014
Catholics wrote:
Reuters)- The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Atlanta has apologized for building a $2.2 million mansion to use as his home, a move that made him the object of derision and complaint, and said he may sell it.
Archbishop Wilton Gregory said he took his "eye off the ball" after the archdiocese received a $15 million donation from the estate of Joseph Mitchell, a nephew "Gone With The Wind" author, Margaret Mitchell.
Pope Francis has been urging Roman Catholic officials to live simpler lives and has renounced the papal apartments in the Vatican palace for modest quarters in a Church guest house.
The Vatican removed a German bishop - dubbed the "bishop of bling" - last month from his job because he spent 31 million euros ($43 million) on a residence where fittings included a bath that cost 15,000 euros and 2.9-million-euro private chapel.
In Monday's edition of The Georgia Bulletin, the newspaper for the Atlanta archdiocese, Gregory wrote: "While my advisors and I were able to justify this project fiscally, logistically and practically, I personally failed to project the cost in terms of my own integrity and pastoral credibility with the people of God of north and central Georgia."
He also said in the newspaper column that the archdiocese would begin the process of selling the mansion "if it is the will" of Church and other advisers.
A Vatican spokesman said he had no comment
Who thinks like these priests?!'oh good, we got a 15 million $ donation so I can build a mansion for myself' That is such a total perversion of priesthood 101. Yet when societies across the world exist in a sea of temptations, when we scorn the concept of right and wrong, and when we are surrounded by sycophants (like priests and politicians) this is what will inevitably follow.
Stranger

Stratford, CT

#57 Apr 1, 2014
Pastor Bob wasn't catholic

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#58 Apr 2, 2014
Stranger wrote:
Pastor Bob wasn't catholic
I know that. I was broadening the discussion because 'men of the cloth' seem to have lose their way. It's happening everywhere.
Pastor Bunko

Greenville, SC

#59 Apr 4, 2014
Here in the south - being a man of the cloth means you can accept a nice hot huckleberry pie from an elderly parishoner.

But you never reach into a lady's cookie jar - or her bank account.

Pastoral greed reflects poorly on all honest Christians.

Why do men do the devil's work?

Do they enjoy it?

How do they sleep at night?
B Money Prevails

United States

#61 Apr 9, 2014
Redistributing wealth is what we do. Just like the government.
We take from anyone who has it and then dole it out as we see fit.
Of course since we are a non-profit we need to take our expenses off the top.
And what's left we can share with the loyal followers.
There's nothing wrong with a mountain retreat to get closer to the lord.
Even better if you can get others to buy it for you.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#62 Apr 10, 2014
B Money Prevails wrote:
Redistributing wealth is what we do. Just like the government.
We take from anyone who has it and then dole it out as we see fit.
Of course since we are a non-profit we need to take our expenses off the top.
And what's left we can share with the loyal followers.
There's nothing wrong with a mountain retreat to get closer to the lord.
Even better if you can get others to buy it for you.
This pastor helped himself to a Mercedes and a Hummer... and who besides 14 year olds think Hummers are good cars?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#63 Apr 10, 2014
I agree with #62.
America Gentleman Samuel

Sherman, CT

#64 Apr 10, 2014
He would never get money out of me, I never carry any cash.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#65 Apr 10, 2014
America Gentleman Samuel wrote:
I agree with #62.
Then I disagree with # 62. Just kidding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Get ready for our next heat wave 18 hr BPT 1
News Police: Staffer Finds Men Using Cocaine In Fair... 23 hr BPT 1
News Senator Marilyn Moore, D- Bridgeport, in Senate... 23 hr BPT 1
News Stamford police may hire consultant on complaints (Sep '09) Wed WorkAvoider 57
News Balloons adorn the front of Crescent Crossing, ... Wed WorkAvoider 3
News Comings, goings at Bridgeport's Steel Point Wed WorkAvoider 3
News Police dog rescues special-needs child Tue America Gentleman... 1

Trumbull Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages