2 Fire Dept. cadets have felony pasts

2 Fire Dept. cadets have felony pasts

There are 165 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Dec 26, 2007, titled 2 Fire Dept. cadets have felony pasts. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Two of 29 cadets training to become city firefighters have felony convictions, but the city is prohibited from excluding them under Civil Service Commission policies.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Why

Stevenson, CT

#1 Dec 27, 2007
Just what I want? Scum like this in my house.
Let it burn
Mr Justice

Greenfield, MA

#2 Dec 27, 2007
Aaron, Aaron, Aaron are you ever going to stop being Rooneys' douche bag. Your both beating a dead horse with your felon stories. You all need to get over it!!!

Lets see Bulerin, Jr. was 18 yrs. old in 1996 and 21 in 1999, and Valderrama was 19 yrs. old in 1986.

How about a story on the BFD current drunks (3/4's) would be a good place to start. Your starting to write like an angry Caucasian want-to-be firefighter Aaron.

Before Rooney opposes any City of Bridgeport resident (s) hiring, he should become a tax paying resident himself. Then maybe he would be concerned with the closing of a fire house in the middle of the Winter, nationally and satistiaclly the worst time for incidents of fire. Clueless!!!

Aaron, how about an FOI request to see how many request-for-repairs were filed by Officers at 7/11's to have the problematic issues fixed during Rooney's 7/8 year tenure as Provisional Deputy Fire Chief of Operations. As far as the 7/11's RFR the BFD better not even think of destroying them.

Hey, Mike Giannotti what are you doing in a BFD Captain's position?

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." Abraham Lincoln
Tambora

Katy, TX

#3 Dec 27, 2007
What a Joke, The department couldn't find a few good man. I used to have respect for them. They just killed it.
dino 9096

Saint James, NY

#4 Dec 27, 2007
This is an absolute embarassment fot the city. Do yourself a favor and drop these bums now. You can't tell me that there are not more qualified candidates for the job. Give me a break, one of these guys is 40 years old!!!
JONE

East Glastonbury, CT

#5 Dec 27, 2007
the title felony is not as bad as it sounds...my husband has a felony conviction from when he was in his late teens...for stealing ...a lot of stuff... him and his friends were crazy reckless boys...and got caught...they did not hurt anyone...but themselves...my husband and I live in a nice middle class neighborhood...and have two great children...he has done alot of good since he was young...so what I am trying to say is people do dumb things and it can stay with you forever...so just because someone has a felony charge they could still be a goog person...
Bridgeport

Bridgeport, CT

#6 Dec 27, 2007
Mr. Justice if you know about drinking on the job why did you wait until you were suspended to bring it to this forum, I have asked you on several ocassions if you were a Fire Marshal that is suspended/ Are you the Fire Marshal that writes very few reports on fires that are investigated? As of today you have not responded to these questions.
Hiring ex Felons for the job is wrong. People that have fires are at their weakest moment. Firefighters have free run of their homes and their lives while fighting the fire and cleaning up afterwards. Would I want an ex felon walking aroubd my house after a fire/ The answer is NO.
Hiring rookie firefighters at age 40 is wrong and is not necessary. Federal Law allows for a maximum age for entry level firefighters and cops. Thus you can have a cut off when it comes to age. Civil service is made up of a bunch of no nothing political appointees that are afraid of their own shadow, This commission is hurting both the Fire Dept and police Dept.
Ned Phillips

Port Chester, NY

#7 Dec 27, 2007
The Supreme Court of the United States ruled that Firefighters are the only group of people that may enter a home or business without a search warrant (Michigan vs. Clifford).

Why would a Civil Service Commission have such a stupid rule that will undermine the people's trust in the fire department?
sick and tired

AOL

#8 Dec 27, 2007
GREAT.... WHAT IS NEXT? CHILD MOLESTERS FOR TEACHERS? WAKE UP BRIDGEPORT! HIRE THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST. YOU PAY ENOUGH IN TAXES TO DEMAND THAT!
DOING 4 YEARS TIME IN PRISON DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE BEST OR BRIGHTEST. FIREMAN USED TO BE ROLE MOELS FOR YOUNG KIDS..... NOT ANYMORE!
sickofit

Naugatuck, CT

#9 Dec 27, 2007
"The oldest candidate is 29 and the youngest is 24, Giannotti said." WRONG.

the oldest candidate is 40 according to the article. felons should not be allowed to serve, especially ones who dealt drugs and are now 40 yrs old. something stinks here. the state law governing this says felons are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. who did the evaluation here? if bpt wants to really put an end to this, it should pass the appropriate ordinance.
chip

Middletown, CT

#10 Dec 27, 2007
gee, i guess a big city like bpt cant have a rule that you you cant be part of the fire dept if you have a felony convection.... But the little old voulnteer fire dept that I am a part of does. We have had sex offenders try to join,thiefs,all kinds of scum to say the least. and they have gotten NO WHERE ! denided ! so it is funny how people say voulnteer depts are " un proffesional" When in this case it seems we care more about making sure you do not put convicted felons in to public service jobs more then the great all mighty Bridgeport FD.

Oh and as far as there not being anyone more qualified. Someone asked that, There is, was and still will be. I have serveral friends that where looked over that have years of fd training,certs hell one of them is a asst chief with a local volly dept, some of thes guys have over 20 years in a fd. But they where looked over because and I will say this out right, they do not fit into the chiefs and mayor personaly agneda. If you get my drift
low lifes rule

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Dec 27, 2007
Tambora wrote:
What a Joke, The department couldn't find a few good man. I used to have respect for them. They just killed it.
Understand one thing Tambora, these idiots have virtually no future what so ever outside of municipal employment. The civil service system was designed to give them a place to work and allow them to mainstream into middle class all at taxpayers expense. I would bey my very last dollar these losers can barely read or write so they are guaranteed to fail any written exam unless the test results are 'curved' to compensate for lack of brains and race.
low lifes rule

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Dec 27, 2007
sick and tired wrote:
GREAT.... WHAT IS NEXT? CHILD MOLESTERS FOR TEACHERS? WAKE UP BRIDGEPORT! HIRE THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST. YOU PAY ENOUGH IN TAXES TO DEMAND THAT!
DOING 4 YEARS TIME IN PRISON DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE BEST OR BRIGHTEST. FIREMAN USED TO BE ROLE MOELS FOR YOUNG KIDS..... NOT ANYMORE!
Who payes taxes in Bridgeport? The suburbs like Stratford, Trumbull and Fairfield foot the bill. If it were not for the income tax politicos stiffed us with Bridgeport would be a even emptier shell than it is now.
COOL JUSTICE

South Windham, CT

#14 Dec 27, 2007
I can commit drug dealing and larceny and get City benefits? I love this Country!!!

If I molest little boys, do I get a Pulitzer?

I know if a smoke pot, but don't inhale, I can be President. And thereafter, I can commit adultry and conniligeus in my office, while in the course of my duties serving the good citizens and getting paid by those same taxpayers.

But what if I decide RAPE a minor while teaching at a High School? I become Superintendent, right?

I really want to beat the crap out of my wife, then can I apply police department so that I can beat her some more with my baton?

Nah....its not that appealing, I'd rather expose myself in public, then I can become a successful actor in Hollywood.
Confused in Ct

Southington, CT

#15 Dec 27, 2007
Bridgeport (and the rest of the State, for that matter) is being driven into the ground by do-good liberals that are afraid to take a stand and do the right thing.... Don't we have morals anymore? Does INTEGRITY mean anything? Down the road, real or imagined incidents will focus on these individuals, which will result in costly hearings, time lost from work, etc...It just amazes me that the people we entrust to do the hiring of personnel in order to keep our cities safe are afraid of of frivilous lawsuits. GROW A SET!!!
Bridgeport

Bridgeport, CT

#17 Dec 27, 2007
To low lifes rule. Just where in hell do you get your information from. In both of your posts you are 100% wrong.
first civil service was instituted to keep politician from appointing their friends and relatives from being appointed to city 9ervice jobs.In the old days when politician got elected they replaced all of the city servie employees with their buddies & relatives thus a constant turnover in police 7 Fire Departments. If you did not get replaced it is because you paid to keep your job.
Second since when did Fairfield, Trumbull & Stratford pay the Bridgeport taxes. The only thing we get from the suburbs are their drug addicted kids, their drunks and their abused children and wives. Get your facts straight AH
the Moses of my people

Clifton, NJ

#18 Dec 27, 2007
"Who payes taxes in Bridgeport", low lifes rule?

Ise payes taxes in Bridgeport, and a few other property owners. An astonishing premium to live in a city where unremarkable ignorant snobs from the suburbs cast off their untouchables for social services, the city's biggest industry.

I and the other Bridgeport homeowner suckers pay the income tax as well as property tax. You're getting off light, white trash.

Learn to spell.
pwilson

Newtown, CT

#19 Dec 27, 2007
The story says that "the oldest candidate is 29 and the youngest is 24" in the latest class. But Mr.Valderrama is 40. Can't the post get anything right?
pwilson

Newtown, CT

#20 Dec 27, 2007
the Moses of my people wrote:
"Who payes taxes in Bridgeport", low lifes rule?
Ise payes taxes in Bridgeport, and a few other property owners. An astonishing premium to live in a city where unremarkable ignorant snobs from the suburbs cast off their untouchables for social services, the city's biggest industry.
I and the other Bridgeport homeowner suckers pay the income tax as well as property tax. You're getting off light, white trash.
Learn to spell.
Moses was white.
Nikki

Farmington, CT

#21 Dec 27, 2007
These guys committed these crimes years ago....and may I add they were non-violent crimes. Who cares.....if these men have shown that they are trying to turn their life around give them a chance. It just seems like society wants throw people away regardless of what the circumstances are. People shouldn't be so quick to punish people for something that they did in their youth. You mean to tell me that a person who was caught selling drugs as an 18 yr old should be subject to serve his time in prison and then not be allowed to get a decent job. How is that fair. Of course we shouldn't be hiring ex-murderers, pedophiles and such as our service men but who cares is someone slang a little crack back in the day but has since grown up.
Bridgeport

Bridgeport, CT

#22 Dec 27, 2007
How do you know moses was white?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Last Living Witness - Memory & Deceit 5 hr American Gentlema... 1
News Finale For The Fourth: Fireworks Planned In Row... 9 hr American Gentlema... 1
News Courthouse gets rehabilitated 13 hr BPT 2
Happy Fourth of July 13 hr BPT 2
News N.J. dairy outbids Wade's for school milk contract 15 hr American Gentlema... 1
News Bridgeport school arrests, suspensions down 16 hr BPT 1
News Blumenthal Introduces Bill, Vows To Crack Down ... 18 hr Citizen44 2
More from around the web

Trumbull People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages