City Council Approves Solar Project

City Council Approves Solar Project

Posted in the Trumbull Forum

bptnews

Matawan, NJ

#1 Mar 18, 2014
n a 15 to 5 vote, the Bridgeport City Council Tuesday night approved Mayor Bill Finch’s proposal for construction of a solar energy project on the former municipal dump in the west end of Seaside Park. The 20-year agreement with United Illuminating calls for 9,000 solar panels that city officials say will power thousands of homes through zero emissions energy production.

The project will also generate a projected $7 million in revenue over 20 years. Black Rock City Councilman Rick Torres had led the opposition to the proposal saying it was not a fit for a city park, didn’t provide enough revenues and will create a public eyesore along the harbor. The Parks Commission had initially rejected the plan but approved it at the urging of the mayor.

Statement from Finch:

“I want to thank the Bridgeport City Council for voting in favor of this landmark project. We’re turning a sin of our past into a shining example of our city’s future. This project is a green economic engine that will fuel job creation, generate millions of dollars in revenue for the city, and power thousands of homes through the use of clean energy.”

http://onlyinbridgeport.com/wordpress/city-co...

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#2 Mar 19, 2014
The reality is that a couple of permanent jobs will be created. You don't need to do much to solar panels besides guard them and wipe them clean.
What about 3 or so wind turbines on top of the landfill as well? Seems like it would be a good location.
As long as trees are planted at the base of the landfill, I don't think solar panels there would ruin the park.
BPT

Naugatuck, CT

#3 Mar 19, 2014
agree with c44.
this land is just going to sit there and not be used anyway. why not take advantage of a situation that is win win. the city gets some revenue and clean energy.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#4 Mar 19, 2014
I do like Torres, and I think he has some valid points here. It depends on how ugly those panels are. Would we just see a series of dark glass-like panels on the hill?(hard to notice) or would we see bright colors, supporting frames, other structures? These are the things the public needs to know. And I agree, 7 million over 25 years aint much money.
I am looking forward to the warm weather, strolling down to the lighthouse, walking on the beach at low tide, the tan Hispanic bikini girls laying on the beach, and the easy-going mode there. It's wonderful.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#5 Mar 19, 2014
It really would be good if there was a way to walk between captain's cove and the park. Too bad.
BPT

Naugatuck, CT

#6 Mar 19, 2014
Citizen44 wrote:
I do like Torres, and I think he has some valid points here. It depends on how ugly those panels are. Would we just see a series of dark glass-like panels on the hill?(hard to notice) or would we see bright colors, supporting frames, other structures? These are the things the public needs to know. And I agree, 7 million over 25 years aint much money.
I am looking forward to the warm weather, strolling down to the lighthouse, walking on the beach at low tide, the tan Hispanic bikini girls laying on the beach, and the easy-going mode there. It's wonderful.
c44
you should have been there in the 70's, what a party every night..........
America Gentleman Samuel

Durham, CT

#7 Mar 19, 2014
Ah yes, they steal the window frames from the housing complex apartments, now they have something new.
Nulli Secundus

Woodbury, CT

#8 Mar 19, 2014
Citizen44 wrote:
You don't need to do much to solar panels besides guard them and wipe them clean.
Huh. You just wait 'til some highschool-aged 'ook-ooks' discover http://www.catapults.info/ and get the range sighted-in on that HUUUGE field of fragile panels...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Newton's campaign-finance case to head to Supre... 1 hr BPT 2
News Bridgeport Housing Authority subject of lawsuit... 2 hr Gavone 2
Freemasons scum slandering and threatening Thu Jesse Rishel 1
Freemasons= Evil Cannibalistic Cabal Thu Jesse Rishel 1
News Election aftermath: recounts in Stratford, Derb... Nov 15 Gavone 2
Ask Superman. Want my opinion? Ask away. I have... (Apr '08) Nov 15 superman casoria 262
News Lifestyle writer parting with Black Rock colonial Nov 14 America Gentleman... 4

Trumbull Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages