Conn. weighs apology for slavery

Conn. weighs apology for slavery

There are 113 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Mar 23, 2009, titled Conn. weighs apology for slavery. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Connecticut legislators are considering making their state the first in New England to apologize for slavery and other racist policies of old.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
CBILLYGO

Niantic, CT

#1 Mar 23, 2009
millions of dollars in debt and Connecticut legislators are spending time trying to decide on weather to apologize to people that have been dead for two hundred years.
QWERTY

Baldwin, NY

#2 Mar 23, 2009
If we are moving forward, why dwell on the past?! Slavery in that time was legal, today it is not. What does apologizing for it now do to the past or the present? Nothing.

Why doesn't the government apologize for all the other things that were once illegal and are now legal?
Shelton Gael

United States

#3 Mar 23, 2009
It's great to see that the State of Ct is running so smoothly and is fincially stable that the legislators can turn their heads to more imporatnt topics like apologizing to the slaves for something that was done hundreds of years ago.
Great job guys.....when the elections????
Apology accepted

Torrington, CT

#4 Mar 23, 2009
No harm done.
paul

Newington, CT

#5 Mar 23, 2009
CBILLYGO wrote:
millions of dollars in debt and Connecticut legislators are spending time trying to decide on weather to apologize to people that have been dead for two hundred years.
Grandstanding liberal guilt. Liberals are so self indulgent. Sickening.
QWERTY

Baldwin, NY

#6 Mar 23, 2009
An apology just adds more evidence to those receiving the apology when they file a class-action lawsuit against the state/ country for reparations!
Nikki

Palm Harbor, FL

#7 Mar 23, 2009
What a joke... If CT is going to apologize to any group it should be to the Indians they murdered when they burnt out their villages and stole their land. I am sick and tired of hearing black people this and black people that...stop whining and get your rear ends back to work or there won't be a CT to worry about - Commi Chinese will own it all - and we'll all be slaves.
Bridgeport Resident

Cheshire, CT

#8 Mar 23, 2009
How can we apologize when we were not around? Today, there are over 40% Independent registered voters here in Connecticut. Most democrats here are minorities.
I think we need new leaders in the Democrat party who truly serve Connecticut. We have too many Democrats who are serving Washinton, DC. Dodd and Leiberman must go among others. The Democrats are rediculous.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#9 Mar 23, 2009
paul wrote:
<quoted text>
Grandstanding liberal guilt. Liberals are so self indulgent. Sickening.
I'm a liberal and I'm not for it!
BILL OF SALE

United States

#10 Mar 23, 2009
WTF...
H Tuttle

New York, NY

#11 Mar 23, 2009
Ah, the hand-wringers and their ilk are at it again. Don't they have some real work to do, like the BUDGET?

But if they want to apologize for something when are they going to apologize to us for running the future of our state into the ground?[insert crickets chirping]
pwilson

Trumbull, CT

#12 Mar 23, 2009
How about apologizing for our high taxes and out of control spending and debt first.
The people responsible for those things are STILL AROUND to hold accountable.
Stop the madness

United States

#13 Mar 23, 2009
I agree with the person who said why aren't we apologizing to the indians. That was genocide. That said the state is in debt and thousands of CT residents, white, black and all other races are out of work or at least facing financial disaster and this is what they are occupying their time with. These are the same idiots who voted to deregulate electric rates which worsened the finances of all state residents and sent businesses fleeing this state at breakneck speed. These idiots should be thrown out of office!
Resident

Corbin, KY

#14 Mar 23, 2009
Are they so bored in Hartford that they have nothing else to do? What about balancing the budget?
John C

AOL

#15 Mar 23, 2009
For once I agree with most of the posters. Apologizing for slavery is a sick joke! Many blacks and minoritires are still "economic" slaves - but again, it is legal just as in the 18th century - and nobody is apologing for it "as it is happening".
Jack

Bolton, CT

#16 Mar 23, 2009
CBILLYGO wrote:
The fact that they've have been dead for centuries was not an impediment to conducting this hearing. I have it on good authority that the legislators hired a consulting firm who recommended a nationally known, and certified (licensed) medium, who, as we speak, is conducting a seance at the State Capitol in the hearing room and who is asking the departed, who are under oath, for their views on this legislation. This is also a ground breaking event in other respects since the medium asked the legislators to all hold hands together as the seance began, and they actually touched one another regardless of party affiliation (film at 11).
Norwalk_is_my_ho me

Purchase, NY

#17 Mar 23, 2009
I thought we apologized already when we sent Union troops into the south and freed the slaves.I guess tearing a nation in half for 4 years is not good enough now it must be done in writing...244 years later.
Should we apologize to the English too?
We kicked them out only 225+ years ago.
Stop living in the past,the perpetrators and the victims have both been dead for a long long time.

Looks like the boys and girls up in Hartford have nothing better to do these days.Hopefully the voters will take notice and vote them all out.
QWERTY

Baldwin, NY

#18 Mar 23, 2009
How about apologizing to England for turning our backs on them? This country was founded by those who broke English law. Where's their apology?
dtrane

Beverly, MA

#19 Mar 23, 2009
Considering that everyone involved in this is DEAD does this make any sense, except to open the door to pay reperations.

This Sucks and Our Government Officials Suck!
oh boy

Higganum, CT

#20 Mar 23, 2009
I agree, the apology is not necessary however, how can you move forward when people, such as the posters here, continue to be racially divided. You continuously comment on articles and because the offender is black, you automatically tear them apart. The behavior of the people today is just a little more subtle than it was over 300 years ago. We are all slaves, bound by the actions of our forefathers. If you are white, you automatically hate black people but you really don't know why except it's what your father and their fathers did. If you are black, you feed into the hate of the white man and you retaliate or show them the same. No, you personally are not responsible for what happened in Slavery 300 years ago but you carry the torch and until people stop behaving this way, I guess some will always feel guilty about the past.
So on behalf of all the racially charged posters, white and black, I apologize, not because I am responsible for their actions but because they are too stubborn to do it themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bridgeport City Council President not to seek r... 12 hr America Gentleman... 1
News Council wants more say in downtown development ... Sun BPT 2
News Restaurant Road Trip: Brewport a " Pizza Hot Of... Sun America Gentleman... 2
News Man, woman arrested twice in same day Sun America Gentleman... 2
News Where was your first job in southwestern Connec... Sun BPT 2
News Search Resumes Saturday For Bridgeport Man Swep... Sun BPT 2
News Downtown property owners stick by meters Sat America Gentleman... 1

Trumbull Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages