Common Core, education's front-end alignment

Posted in the Trumbull Forum

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Oct 7, 2013
bpthoodnews

Bridgeport, CT

#1 Oct 6, 2013
By now, most people have heard of the Common Core curriculum. But for such a sweeping change, many do not know exactly what it is. The name indicates all children will be taught the same things, but that's not it -- at least not exactly.

Common Core is the first major reform initiative to deal with the front end of education -- the substance of what actually is being taught in the classroom, instead of focusing solely on student performance on standardized tests (although testing is a big part of it as well).

It is also the first reform that sets one set of standards for all. For the first time in the history of the United States, kids in Alabama and California are expected to acquire the same skills, at the same grade level, as kids in Connecticut and New York.

In the Milford schools, math supervisor Lisa Swanson said the emphasis in the new curriculum is on the journey, not the destination.

"It's not only about getting the right answer, but getting to the answer," she said of math problems. Solving them also becomes a job for teams of students, not individuals.

In language arts, there is much more focus on nonfiction, short novels and tough-to-read prose.

"This is not to say that narrative reading or narrative writing are going away," said Jennifer Sinal, an English supervisor in Milford. But the focus is on engaging in active reading strategies across content areas.

This year, Connecticut joins 44 other states that have adopted the reform. Released in their final form in June 2010, Common Core's English/language-arts and math standards do not mandate what schools must teach. Instead, they outline the body of skills and knowledge that students are expected to develop each year in kindergarten through 12th grade, with the ultimate goal of ensuring they are ready to succeed in college and eventually the workforce aftet

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Common-Co...
JOOSE

Newtown, CT

#2 Oct 7, 2013
Translation: Obama and the Feds say what you will be tested on for $$$ there fore THEY say what you study..And you thought education was local...hehhehehhahahahaha.Whe n the Emporer gives rewards maybe you be ignored..Long Live OBAMA I Emeror of Amerika......
sunny day

Naugatuck, CT

#3 Oct 7, 2013
Thanks to our SHitty public education ,I have no doubt a lot of people like the government running their lives, I no not.

Sol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#4 Oct 7, 2013
"It's not only about getting the right answer, but getting to the answer," she said of math problems. Solving them also becomes a job for teams of students, not individuals.
How many employers hire TEAMS that are interdependent and how many hire INDIVIDUALS who are self-sufficient?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Santa Ayala: Should she stay or should she go? (Oct '13) 4 hr Sir Samuel 18
2 couples, 2 paths (Jan '11) 4 hr Sir Samuel 66
Patriots finish seson at 16-0 (Dec '07) 7 hr Robert 35
Minister admits sending explicit e-mails (Jan '09) 10 hr Citizen44 32
77 Yale Ave underage drinking parties. (Apr '10) 11 hr haha 4
Not Listening To Milford Cop Leads to Motorcycl... 12 hr BPT 1
'Dick' Blumenthal: what price reputation? (May '10) 20 hr Sir Samuel 8
•••

Trumbull News Video

•••