Her courage and activism helped end racial discrimination

Dec 31, 2010 Full story: www.ctpost.com 21

Loyse Gilliam Tisdale had two strikes against her in the 1950s. She was female and she was black, neither of which Tisdale used as a crutch in her pursuit for personal excellence in her nearly eight decades on earth.

The Bridgeport native, who later lived in Stratford and Trumbull, was also a Korean War-era veteran, and later in life she became a travel agent and consultant.

She was a great role model because she accomplished so much in her lifetime. A second mother to ...Loyce was involved with Youthbridge, a theatrical arts workshop co-founded by actress June Havoc and Tisdale, who served as the program's director and manager for 13 years. Last week was the first Christmas Eve without Tisdale, who passed away on Oct. 23, but not before leaving an indelible mark on her community and the many people whose lives she enriched. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Stratford, CT

#1 Dec 31, 2010
Truer words were never spoken. I had the privilege to call Ms. Tisdale my "second mom" as that's who she was to me during a great part of my youth. I grew to love her as I was a member of Youthbridge, Theatrical Arts. She furthered my families teaching of balance, racial equality, to always strive to be your best and so much more!

She was a compassionate, loving, brilliant woman, a wonderful mother who had impacted my life in a most positive way...

My heart goes out to Maisa(Lynnie) and Preston for the earthly loss of their mom.

I shall always keep her in my heart, until we meet again..
Equity Trader

Waterbury, CT

#2 Dec 31, 2010
She was a great lady who is in peace, now.
knows better than you

Woodbury, CT

#3 Jan 1, 2011
Tisdale (n) "TIZZ-dale"; an naacp rabble-rouser, racist, always looking out for itself - no matter what the sex or age (i.e. all of them). Frequently praised to all hell when one dies, infrequently having a school named after it for @$$ki$$ing reasons known only to other racists that march in the streets and hoot'n'holler with megaphones in front of ghetto god-houses until they gets they own way. Occasionally gets rave front-page eulogy two months after 'biting it'.

Stratford, CT

#6 Jan 1, 2011
knows better than you wrote:
Tisdale (n) "TIZZ-dale"; an naacp rabble-rouser, racist, always looking out for itself - no matter what the sex or age (i.e. all of them). Frequently praised to all hell when one dies, infrequently having a school named after it for @$$ki$$ing reasons known only to other racists that march in the streets and hoot'n'holler with megaphones in front of ghetto god-houses until they gets they own way. Occasionally gets rave front-page eulogy two months after 'biting it'.
She was NOT affilliated with that party you mentioned...She married into that family and was not a part of that. You are way off base and haven't a clue as to the wonderful person she was.

I am 3/4Italian and 1/4 (Spain) Spanish. There were kids and teens from BPT in youthbridge from every race color creed...Loyce treated all of us equally..like her own children. With love, kindness, rules..like that of a proper parent.

How dare you disparage a person you know NOTHING about. A person no doubt you certainly have and never will measure up to..SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

Stratford, CT

#7 Jan 1, 2011
knows better than you wrote:
You are disgraceful and a FOS racist..You and your kind need to wash those stinky filthy robes you don...What is it you've done for humanity?
My guess would be nothing but destruction and evil..God Help Your pitiful, life and soul! I will pray for you.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#8 Jan 1, 2011
Good Afternoon Phyllis. How are you? Happy New Year.
OH jes Poppy

Waccabuc, NY

#13 Jan 1, 2011
Flippper wrote:
<quoted text>Pat Maulsen. Cob Brinic.My family. Resemble PLANET OF THE APES Now google those names.For my family history on my poppy's side. momy is a fithy spic WE ALL Dance LIKE MONKEY THE ZULU dance.I AM NOTHING BUT A BIG BLACK Parasiteni gger blogger.A PENCILPRIK Nothing.
OH Jess Poppy you take after you poppy. stop call me s word you are black and puerto ricano shame you are. get off poppy computer he beat your culo up

Stratford, CT

#15 Jan 1, 2011
Flippper aka Pete wrote:
<quoted text>I am a transparent parasite. I am not a liberalni gger lover I am ani gger. I will say this and you better listen. GET ME OUT OF MY MISERY HAVE SOMEONE DO ME IN. I AM SUCH A POS LOSER
Do the world a favor..drop off the face of the earth you lille pissant..YOUR COUNTRY?..you probably never paid a squat dime of tax in your waste of a life. Bet you never worked a day in your life either priviliged POS.. Your Mummy and Daddy are probably the enablers that made you the insignificant piece of crp that you are..Surely the apple did not fall far from the poisoned tree. Go change your crappy diaper Jr. ya stink to the high heavens. PU the stench of YOUR KIND IS OVERPOWERING

Stratford, CT

#16 Jan 1, 2011
OH jes Poppy wrote:
<quoted text>OH Jess Poppy you take after you poppy. stop call me s word you are black and puerto ricano shame you are. get off poppy computer he beat your culo up
Oh that's the problem...these asses are playing. What a shame your kid is embarrassed about his black/Spanish heritage...I feel sorry or you lady. Forget poppy beating his culo. If he were my kid it wouldn't be just his culo beaten. He wouldn't have gotten this far..My condolences to you.
The Real Santa Claus

Old Saybrook, CT

#17 Jan 1, 2011
I am still on vacation with the wife in Hawaii. And to all, a good Night.
Y DONTCHU BLO ME

Waccabuc, NY

#18 Jan 1, 2011
[QUOTE who="Flippper the Parasiteni gger blogger."]<quoted text>Pat Maulsen. Cob Brinic. Now google those names. Dance monkey dance. Parasiteni gger blogger. Nothing.[/QUOTE] This time my turn
Y DONTCHU BLO ME

Waccabuc, NY

#19 Jan 1, 2011
Flippper the Parasiteni gger blogger wrote:
<quoted text>Pat Maulsen. Cob Brinic. Now google those names. Dance monkey dance. Parasiteni gger blogger. Nothing.
Y Doncha blo me. It`s my turn buttfcuck
America Gentleman Samuel

Hartford, CT

#20 Jan 1, 2011
It is past my bedtime, good night tippy and the fish and Santa. I will be up at noon tomorrow to let everyone know how we are doing and to sent all thugs to jail.
Kent

Alexandria, VA

#23 May 14, 2014
THE GENUINEPHYLLIS wrote:
Truer words were never spoken. I had the privilege to call Ms. Tisdale my "second mom" as that's who she was to me during a great part of my youth. I grew to love her as I was a member of Youthbridge, Theatrical Arts. She furthered my families teaching of balance, racial equality, to always strive to be your best and so much more!
She was a compassionate, loving, brilliant woman, a wonderful mother who had impacted my life in a most positive way...
My heart goes out to Maisa(Lynnie) and Preston for the earthly loss of their mom.
I shall always keep her in my heart, until we meet again..
No doubt..I'm Kent the little boy who used to play the congo's at Youthbridge when they first started ...I love Ms. Tisdale, my mom worked at Urban Coalition with her ..Ms. Tisdale thank you and Ms. Havoc for YB! I love ya'll RIP...
Kent

Alexandria, VA

#24 May 14, 2014
<quoted text>She was NOT affilliated with that party you mentioned...She married into that family and was not a part of that. You are way off base and haven't a clue as to the wonderful person she was.
I am 3/4Italian and 1/4 (Spain) Spanish. There were kids and teens from BPT in youthbridge from every race color creed...Loyce treated all of us equally..like her own children. With love, kindness, rules..like that of a proper parent.
How dare you disparage a person you know NOTHING about. A person no doubt you certainly have and never will measure up to..SHAME ON YOU!!!!!
Sorry troller she's african american so there, she is not a racist ...
Kent

Alexandria, VA

#25 May 14, 2014
need newspaper articles from youthbridge if anyone has them I was in a photo with Paul Newman and June Havoc at Youthbridge
Nulli Secundus

Monroe, CT

#26 May 15, 2014
You are disgraceful and a FOS racist..You and your kind need to wash those stinky filthy robes you don...What is it you've done for humanity?
My guess would be nothing but destruction and evil..God Help Your pitiful, life and soul! I will pray for you.
Is she dead yet?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#27 May 15, 2014
May she rest in Peace.
Nulli Secundus

Monroe, CT

#28 May 17, 2014
Her courage and activism helped end racial discrimination
By WHAT definition of the word "end" that apparently isn't commonly known on this planet?
Nulli Secundus

Monroe, CT

#29 May 18, 2014
No, not the colored one - I meant phyllis.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is TD Owen (Nov '10) 1 hr American Gentlema... 139
Schools audit has Bridgeport working out its pr... 4 hr American Gentlema... 1
A 'certified' Italian pizza joint comes to Fair... 4 hr American Gentlema... 1
Happy Thanksgiving To All (Nov '13) 4 hr American Gentlema... 14
Ferguson citizens just don't get it. 4 hr But of course 5
Bridgeport fires employee accused of swiping co... 8 hr Citizen44 5
Cops nab suspect in bank robberies (Mar '08) 11 hr Booo 60

Winter Storm Warning for Fairfield County was issued at November 25 at 9:35PM EST

Trumbull News Video

Trumbull Dating
Find my Match

Trumbull People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Trumbull News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Trumbull

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:13 pm PST

NBC Sports 4:13PM
New York City FC rolls out jet black road jersey; How'd they do?
NBC Sports 4:41 PM
Another ugly Jets loss in already ugly season - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 5:41 PM
How Ayers Jr. Can Help Giants' Pass Rush
Bleacher Report 7:50 PM
Beckham Jr. Has Skill Set to Build Around for Giants
Bleacher Report 8:30 PM
Report: Rex Knows Jets Plan to Fire Him