Stfd. deputy police chief to retire

Full story: Connecticut Post

Deputy Police Chief Joseph LoSchiavo, the town's second-highest ranking police official and a 28-year department veteran of the department, surprised town officials and officers by announcing this week he will ...
Comments
2,381 - 2,400 of 2,420 Comments Last updated Tuesday Jul 8
Master Sgt

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2014

Littleman wrote:
Hey I just read that a Seymour police commissioner resigned because he was getting his way! Is that true?
He should forget. Being Chief there. Maybe come work at Mr. Appliance. The only negative to working in the appliance field is that you spend quite a lot of time on your knees FIXING things...... Oh, but as I recall he was good at that!
. The plan gives pay raises to individuals by way of job title changes without a commensurate change of duties. Additionally, these ‘promotions’ come without a legitimate testing process, a probationary period or a performance-based contract. Even more troubling is that the restructuring did absolutely nothing to address the department’s two major problems, which are the number of officers absent from police duties and overtime expense issues.
FratReer

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2014

Judged:

Whats going on...talk about azz kissers, how did he find his way to the FBI Academy?

Yes I remember Popik was in charge of the detective bureau where he let his own detectives drive around a stolen car, Great Supervisor, Thank God for his 27 years of service
Fat hip

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2014

Judged:

FratReer wrote:
Whats going on...talk about azz kissers, how did he find his way to the FBI Academy?
Yes I remember Popik was in charge of the detective bureau where he let his own detectives drive around a stolen car, Great Supervisor, Thank God for his 27 years of service
Actually since he is so smart and well educated does he realize that he was the first CAPTAIN ever to be thrown OUT of the detective bureau on his azz. Every other Captain of the D electives either retired from there or got promoted. Nope not Johnny boy jr......... He got thrown out and hidden away in a closet. He actually IS an overblown SGT.!!!!!!!!!
Haters

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2014

Judged:

Fat hip wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually since he is so smart and well educated does he realize that he was the first CAPTAIN ever to be thrown OUT of the detective bureau on his azz. Every other Captain of the D electives either retired from there or got promoted. Nope not Johnny boy jr......... He got thrown out and hidden away in a closet. He actually IS an overblown SGT.!!!!!!!!!
I find your hate filled comments appalling the John Popik I know is am a graduate of the University of New Haven and the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy in Quantico, VA.

He has over 27 years experience in a 108-officer municipal police department, of which he has risen through the ranks from patrol officer, corporal, sergeant, lieutenant, to his current rank of captain.

All of John's promotions have been achieved via competitive testing including a comprehensive skills assessment center.

John has either supervised or commanded every major division within my department, and he is currently assigned as Administrative Captain.

Some of his duties include aspects of the development and administration of budgets, the planning and development of operations and programs, emergency operations planning, policy writing, and internal affairs investigations 1 hour coffee breaks in the morning ,waddle around the building until 2 hour lunches at mom's.
TRUTH

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

Fat hip wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it true that Captain Popik was passed over for the Stratford Police Deputy chief's position and the position went to a much junior captain? That is surprising with all his training and credentials that they would pass him over with his experience, no?
Perhaps they knew him better than the people in Seymour do.
Littleman

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

Oh....I think the people of seymour have figured him out!
NOBALLS

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

A Captain from one police dept talking about another pd and its Chief, wow that will go over really well.

Wasn't this the same Captain who gave a statement to have his own guys arrested at the PD, but then redacted that statement saying I never said that, so trustworthy.
KeeWee

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

I remember the good old days at the PD where there were still pay phones downstairs next to EMS, I remember those sweet calls from your voice during your 4-12 shift. God I miss those days, I still play back the recording just to your voice again
WTF

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

Haters wrote:
<quoted text>
I find your hate filled comments appalling the John Popik I know is am a graduate of the University of New Haven and the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy in Quantico, VA.
He has over 27 years experience in a 108-officer municipal police department, of which he has risen through the ranks from patrol officer, corporal, sergeant, lieutenant, to his current rank of captain.
All of John's promotions have been achieved via competitive testing including a comprehensive skills assessment center.
John has either supervised or commanded every major division within my department, and he is currently assigned as Administrative Captain.
Some of his duties include aspects of the development and administration of budgets, the planning and development of operations and programs, emergency operations planning, policy writing, and internal affairs investigations 1 hour coffee breaks in the morning ,waddle around the building until 2 hour lunches at mom's.
It's appalling that some commissioner who spends an hour a month at a meeting thinks he is better qualified to say what needs to be done at the police department than the people who actually work there. That's really appalling. Especially coming from a person who had a very unremarkable and lackluster career. What are his accomplishments besides going to schools?
BPT

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

NOBALLS wrote:
A Captain from one police dept talking about another pd and its Chief, wow that will go over really well.
Wasn't this the same Captain who gave a statement to have his own guys arrested at the PD, but then redacted that statement saying I never said that, so trustworthy.
"This restructuring was the deciding factor for my resignation,” said Popik, who was elected to the Board of Police Commissioners in November 2011.“Over the last couple of years, I have viewed what I perceive as mismanagement due to decisions being made based on personal agendas, political favors and vendettas, affecting crucial components of police operations including discipline and promotions. I feel it is not ethical for me to be part of this process.”
Just like it would not be ethical to let detectives ride around in a stolen car or go to Seymour on duty for a back wax?

John would be an expert on this type of thing since that is what he and his buddies the Buturla boys and Miron did in Stratford. Why was it ethical for him to be a part of it in Stratford?
But Popik disagrees.
“In short, the chief’s plan of restructuring is appalling,” Popik said.“The plan gives pay raises to individuals by way of job title changes without a commensurate change of duties. Additionally, these ‘promotions’ come without a legitimate testing process, a probationary period or a performance-based contract. Even more troubling is that the restructuring did absolutely nothing to address the department’s two major problems, which are the number of officers absent from police duties and overtime expense issues.”

Why does the Union support it as a win-win? I guess Popik knows more than everyone.
I dont see

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

BPT wrote:
<quoted text> Perhaps..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
line by line

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2014

Judged:

Haters wrote:
<quoted text>
It's appalling that some commissioner who spends an hour a month at a meeting thinks he is better qualified to say what needs to be done at the police department than the people who actually work there. That's really appalling.
Especially coming from a person who had a very unremarkable and lackluster career.
What are his accomplishments besides going to schools?
He was in charge of almost every PD division - and what are the highlights of his improvements?
Where or how did he help his department to become more efficient?
Make officers more accountable?
Save money?
Cut overtime?
Reduce sick time?
OK - how about extending coffee breaks?
bushwhacker

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

When Stratford needed to go after a rogue WWII veteran who was cutting his neighbors hedges - They knew Popik was the one for the job. He took the bad guy down.
Popadick

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

KeeWee wrote:
I remember the good old days at the PD where there were still pay phones downstairs next to EMS, I remember those sweet calls from your voice during your 4-12 shift. God I miss those days, I still play back the recording just to your voice again
Ex-Commissioner Popik asked;
"As part of the restructuring, why weren’t civilian dispatching or information technology support systems examined?"
Does he have a firm grasp on handling civilian dispatching
Watching

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Excessive breaks like mentioned here will be brought to the attention of the mayor!
Captain Weeble

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

This guy is always trying to screw cops! First stratford guys, now seymour guys!
Joey

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2014

It means a lot that this site continues..........years after I retired people still remember what a hard worker I was!
BPT

Bethel, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

Judged:

Joey wrote:
It means a lot that this site continues..........years after I retired people still remember what a filthy nigger I was!

Reinstate slavery. The colored are violent savages!
True.
Buckhorn

Fletcher, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

line by line wrote:
<quoted text>
It's appalling that some commissioner who spends an hour a month at a meeting thinks he is better qualified to say what needs to be done at the police department than the people who actually work there. That's really appalling.
Especially coming from a person who had a very unremarkable and lackluster career.
What are his accomplishments besides going to schools?
He was in charge of almost every PD division - and what are the highlights of his improvements?
Where or how did he help his department to become more efficient?
Make officers more accountable?
Save money?
Cut overtime?
Reduce sick time?
OK - how about extending coffee breaks?
Some do more with less, some do less with more.
Giacobbe

Stratford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Judged:

I was wondering if this Pastor Bob character was related to the treasurer of the PBA who stole all the money at the Stratford Police?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Trumbull News Video

•••
•••

Trumbull Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Trumbull People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE