Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2013

Judged:

BRIDGEPORT -- It is difficult these days for Bridgeport Bluefish general manager Ken Shepard not to get frustrated. He will admit that it does not happen often, but it does indeed happen.

Shepard was hired late last season by team owner Frank Boulton to resuscitate a franchise that many perceive to be in its final hour in the city. The numbers at the turnstiles are again generally unflattering. The ballpark still has leaks associated with Superstorm Sandy in October and Winter Storm Nemo in February.

Shepard knew this would not be a quick fix. And with the 16th season in team history working toward its completion, he is optimistically digging in and looking to push the Bluefish toward profitable times in the years to come.

"I see this market and I know that it's the wealthiest county in the United States of America," Shepard said. "I see a ballpark, which, for a ballpark that's 16 years old, has a lot to offer people, that people speak well of. The question I have is how do we get more people out here more often? I believe that it's going to take a management team with me at the front of it because the buck stops here."

The Bluefish, who have not averaged 3,000 fans annually since 2005 (3,036), will finish last in the eight-team Atlantic League in attendance for the third straight season. Through Friday's game against the Lancaster Barnstormers, they had drawn 131,256 in 56 openings (2,344 average) and were on pace for 157,040 this season.

Paul Timpanelli, the president and chief executive officer of the Bridgeport Regional Business Council, said he has attempted to host a couple of events at the ballpark in the last couple of months. But they never got off the ground due to a lack of interest.

It now appears that this will be the first time that the BRBC will not have an event at Harbor Yard.

"The trend from where they were at their peak to where they are today is obviously not the trend you want," Timpanelli said. "I don't think the park is a problem, the concessions aren't a problem, parking isn't a problem, safety isn't a problem. I think it's good baseball for independent. But it's just the luster (is gone)."

Shepard believes he has to regain the trust of the community and again bring relevance to what the Bluefish are doing on a day-to-day basis. The Bluefish are his sixth stop in pro ball, and his strong background includes working for Boulton at Prince William, Wilmington and Atlantic City.

"He is a guy that can make everything better," Boulton said. "But nobody has a magic wand and it takes some time to get your program in place. And that's what Ken has been working toward. I would think that Ken and the way he goes about it, it'll click for him."

Shepard understands that group sales is a significant catalyst for filling the ballpark as well as creating a network of fans that could, in turn, continue to usher in other fans on future dates through word of mouth. The number of group sales is not where Shepard wants it to be right now. And he is accepting blame. However, while the attendance figures are not particularly impressive on paper, they do demonstrate progress as the projected final numbers would represent the highest single-season total/average since 2010, when the Bluefish drew 160,653 in 65 dates (2,471).

The Bluefish, who have an advertising budget that approaches $30,000, drew a franchise-low 132,139 in 65 dates (2,033) last season.

"You just want it to be relevant," said a source who has worked in the city for a number of years. "You just want it to be important. Certainly as a business because I think it's important, but it really is more than a baseball team.

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Bluefish...
Most Interesting Man

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

I Don't Own Go To Baseball Games,
But If I Did, It Wouldn't Be A Blowfish Game!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2013

Judged:

I'm more concerned about sagging breasts.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2013

I am more concern about getting hit by baseballs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Trumbull News Video

•••
Trumbull Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Trumbull Jobs

•••
•••
•••