Newton Considers Run For City Council

Newton Considers Run For City Council

Posted in the Trumbull Forum

bpthoodnews

Lodi, NJ

#1 Jun 25, 2013
Former State Senator Ernie Newton, the self-proclaimed Moses of his peeps, says he’s considering a run for the East End City Council seat he once occupied that catapulted him to the presidency of the city’s legislative body 30 years ago. Running a close second last year in a Democratic State Senate primary won by Andres Ayala, Newton is weighing his options that would place him back in play as an elected official.

Newton’s considering a run for office as he defends state charges of violating campaign finance laws stemming from his senate run in 2012. In weighing a race for council, Newton says he’s being encouraged to run in an area of the city that serves as his political base where he has a history of running up large numbers. In last year’s senate primary, he carried the two precincts that represent the East End council district.

Andre Baker and James Holloway currently represent the city’s 139th District. Baker is considering a citywide run for Board of Education. Holloway, with more than 20 years, is the longest-serving member of the City Council at a time some political activists are encouraging new blood, or in Newton’s case new old blood.

Holloway is one of five City Council members who’s also a city employee in violation of the City Charter but allowed to serve through a loophole in state law cited by City Attorney Mark Anastasi. State Representative Jack Hennessy sponsored legislation this year to close that loophole, but it never came to a vote despite support for its passage in the State House. Opponents to city employees serving on the City Council say taxpayers are burdened by conflicts of interests such as councilors approving their own wages and benefits while also serving at the pleasure of the mayor.

Newton, for one, opposes city employees serving on the City Council.“You can’t serve two masters,” he says.

A Newton run for City Council creates a dilemma for Mayor Bill Finch. Once politically close, the mayor and Newton are no longer the best of buds.

Irrespective of his past and current legal troubles, Newton is a popular figure in the East End, and it would be difficult to deny his election if he chooses to run. Finch operatives successfully backed Ayala for a State Senate seat that covers roughly two-thirds of the city, an effort to block Newton’s comeback to the position he was forced to give up following federal corruption charges eight years ago. The East End, however, features a highly concentrated area of Newton supporters including District Leader Ralph Ford.

Newton emerged on the political scene in 1981 winning a council seat from the East End. Republican Mayor Lenny Paoletta, governing with a Democratic majority on the City Council, delivered enough Republican council votes to hand the council presidency to Newton in the hope of a decent working relationship. In the long run Newton and Paoletta did not hit it off.

Newton leveraged his council platform to election to the State House and then the State Senate. Rejoining the city’s legislative body would provide Newton another platform to both be a nuisance to Finch and perhaps regain higher office, depending on what happens with the pending state charges.

“The city needs stronger leadership in the East End,” says Newton.“We’re not getting that from City Hall.”

Will he run for City Council?“I’ll make my decision in a few weeks.”

Party officials will endorse candidates for City Council next month. Party primaries will take place in September. The general election is in November.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2 Jun 25, 2013
I though that he was in jail. He should be ran out of Bridgeport.
BPT

Naugatuck, CT

#3 Jun 27, 2013
if people ever voted and elected this guy, I don't know if I would bother voting again!
wiener is leading the dem nominations in nyc, what is that city thinking? he has questionable ethics and morals also.
America Gentleman Samuel

Bristol, CT

#5 Jun 27, 2013
Here I go again, just waiting to ramble on and make a statement and not knowing what I'm talking about. Tippy, talk to me, what should I say?
Jake

Bridgeport, CT

#6 Jun 27, 2013
Newton being reelected as a councilman would make a huge statement. That most of the voters in his district are as crocked as he is. mayor Berry ring a bell?
AVA-AVA-AVA

Spartanburg, SC

#7 Jun 27, 2013
Jake wrote:
Newton being reelected as a councilman would make a huge statement. That most of the voters in his district are as crocked as he is. mayor Berry ring a bell?
The "Moses of his people" if elected will line his pockets with anything he can get his hands on.

Location hidden

#8 Jun 27, 2013
I really be in shock if he does not win.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#9 Jun 27, 2013
AVA-AVA-AVA wrote:
<quoted text>The "Moses of his people" if elected will line his pockets with anything he can get his hands on.
AVA-AVA-AVa=blah-blah-blah.lol

Location hidden

#10 Jun 27, 2013
Maybe if we are luck, Newton can move in with Ava in South Carolina and pick her pockets and spent money on crack for them and her very old husband.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Bridgeport Rep Rejects Plea Deal In Frau... 9 hr American Gentlema... 1
News Bridge work to cause I-95 lane closures 9 hr BPT 4
News Fairfield woman clowned with Wavy Gravy 22 hr BPT 2
Where O Where is Citizen 44 Wed BPT 11
News Ex-bank manager admits stealing $516,000 from e... (Apr '09) Wed Crazy 356
News Bridgeport Courthouse Reopens After Suspicious ... Wed American Gentlema... 1
News Gathering of the Vibes makes splash at Bridgepo... Wed American Gentlema... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages