Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Feb 5, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bpthoodnews

Garfield, NJ

#1 Sep 20, 2012
BRIDGEPORT, Conn.(WTNH)-- A new report sheds a grim light on the economic situation some kids in Connecticut face.

Out of the nearly 28,000 residents in the state living below the poverty line last year, a large number of them are children, many of them in Bridgeport.

In Bridgeport the percentage of children living in poverty jumped to 40 percent last year, that means about one in three kids in the city is living in poverty.

"I wasn't surprised by the amount of poverty," said Kristin duBay Horton, Director of Health and Social Services for Bridgeport. "What I was surprised by was sort of the number of children being born into it."

2010/2011 Poverty Report

To put it in perspective, 39.9 percent of children in Bridgeport are living in poverty, while in Danbury that number is 17.9 percent and in Stamford 17.5 percent. News 8 asked Horton what she thought was responsible for making the number so high in the city.

"I think we have a lot of kids having kids, a lot of folks who can only afford to raise their families here because they can't afford to live anywhere else," she said. "And I think largely the kids who are coming into the system don't have the supportive services or necessarily the family structure that they need to break the cycle."

Horton and the city's goal is stopping the cycle. She sites programs like the Bridgeport Alliance for Young Children and a new home visiting program as examples of what the city is doing to provide kids living in poverty with the services and support they need. She says it's all about making sure the kids' needs are being met right from the time they're born so they have the best chance of starting a new life.

"Thinking about how we over the long term," Horton said, "because it's not going to be over in 2012, but in 15 or 16 years I hope that my legacy as the health director here is that those kids have other opportunities and other choices."

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/fairfield_cty/po...
bpthoodnews

Garfield, NJ

#2 Sep 20, 2012
what u think of it

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#3 Sep 20, 2012
More bad news for the poor people living in large cities in our run down country. Good bless my family. Good Night Everybody.
CTM

Sandy Hook, CT

#4 Sep 21, 2012
this should explain where the money went..http://www.freerepublic. c om/focus/f-news/737662/posts

Location hidden

#5 Sep 21, 2012
CTM

Have you notice that many of the 400 richest people in our country live in Connecticut and yet our state have many poor people including mothers with too many kids on state welfare. God bless you.
CTM

Sandy Hook, CT

#8 Sep 22, 2012
American Gentleman Samuel wrote:
CTM
Have you notice that many of the 400 richest people in our country live in Connecticut and yet our state have many poor people including mothers with too many kids on state welfare. God bless you.
Just 400? I thought there were more people than that in Greenwich.http://www.freerepub lic.com/focus/f-news/737662/po sts

Location hidden

#10 Sep 22, 2012
Yes, but they are not in the 400 richest people in our country group. I it is always good to hear from CTM.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#12 Sep 23, 2012
bpthoodnews wrote:
what u think of it
I have heard that places like hartford and waterbury are cheaper to live in.... you wouldn't ever catch me in either of those places though, especially waterbury. What a depressing shithole, especially in the winter.
Jose

Newtown, CT

#13 Sep 23, 2012
If all the Illegals leave we can cut the number in half..if we check everyone on welfare by fingerprint nationwide we can cut that number in half...if we drug test the remainder we have a very small resonal=ble plan;Problem is the Dem's would lose too many votes in the cities.They would start to lose elections so don't hold your breath on reform..Just get ready to pay more for the priveledge of supporting them..
Cherly Boston

Bethel, CT

#14 Sep 23, 2012
Jose wrote:
If all the dirty niggers leave we can cut the number in half..if we check everyone on welfare by fingerprint nationwide we can cut that number in half...if we drug test the remainder of the fucking stinkapes we have a very small resonal=\ble plan. Problem is the dirty Dem's would lose too many chimp votes in the cities. They would start to lose elections so don't hold your breath on reform. Just get ready to pay more for the priveledge of supporting lazy but violent subhuman primates.
Well said.
CTM

Sandy Hook, CT

#17 Sep 23, 2012
Looks like anon "SVEN" is one of the punk-a$$ crooks writing on here. Hey, get your mother away from that goat, the goat doesn't like it.
CTM

Sandy Hook, CT

#18 Sep 23, 2012
Gee SVEN, looks like you've heard that before!!

Location hidden

#19 Sep 24, 2012
My family agree with CTM.
CTM

Sandy Hook, CT

#20 Sep 24, 2012
Looks like the inbreds that monitor Topix now took down the "SVEN" posting that made up something insulting I did not say. I do call them as I see them, based on their actions. Like the crooked inbred Topix monitor that removed 100 is it? Posts I put up that told the truth about what a crook Blumenthal is, and how he did it!!

Location hidden

#21 Sep 24, 2012
As I stated befored, Blumenthal belongs in jail and not in Congress, now.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#23 Feb 1, 2013
Poverty is one reason that large cities have so many crimes.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#24 Feb 2, 2013
America Gentleman Samuel wrote:
Poverty is one reason that large cities have so many crimes.
I've been poor most of my life. You are poor. We don't commit crimes.

Crimes in a place like Bridgeport are due to poor values.
BPT

United States

#25 Feb 2, 2013
Citizen44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard that places like hartford and waterbury are cheaper to live in.... you wouldn't ever catch me in either of those places though, especially waterbury. What a depressing shithole, especially in the winter.
Lifestyles in Waterbury no longer sells that fake weed, so there is no reason for anyone to stop by that disgusting city again.
BPT

United States

#26 Feb 2, 2013
Cherly Boston wrote:
<quoted text>Well said.
Well played! There`s only a handful of people cool enough on Topix to change quoted text when losers get all political and stuff.
BPT

United States

#27 Feb 2, 2013
Citizen44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been poor most of my life. You are poor. We don't commit crimes.
Crimes in a place like Bridgeport are due to poor values.
You don`t work. You take Ambien. You don`t wake up before noon.`Nuff said.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge cuts drug kingpin's sentence (Apr '09) 1 hr Sir Samuel 12
Connecticut's religiously intolerant history, P... (Nov '13) 7 hr RevKen 5
Santa Ayala: Should she stay or should she go? (Oct '13) 12 hr Sir Samuel 20
Patriots finish seson at 16-0 (Dec '07) 15 hr Soon 2B Fartin Fred 38
Derby couple with pizza-making past open new jo... 16 hr Tom 5
2 couples, 2 paths (Jan '11) Thu Sir Samuel 66
Minister admits sending explicit e-mails (Jan '09) Thu Citizen44 32
•••

Trumbull News Video

•••