Best & Co. shuts its doors - Greenwic...

Best & Co. shuts its doors - Greenwich Time

There are 67 comments on the Greenwich Time story from Jun 29, 2009, titled Best & Co. shuts its doors - Greenwich Time. In it, Greenwich Time reports that:

Greenwich Avenue children's furnishing store, Best & Co., has shut down and filed for bankruptcy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Greenwich Time.

Aaron

Waterford, OH

#41 Jul 14, 2009
Adieu Best and Co wrote:
Target has some great stuff if you haven't been there lately check out the home furnishings by Todd Oldham and Philippe Starck. The clothing lines has some funky designers like Mossimo Giannulli, Marc Ecko, Stephen Sprouse, Cynthia Rowley and Mizrahi, cosmetics by makeup artist Sonia Kashuk and camping equipment by Eddie Bauer. My favorite is Daisy Fuentes! Wall-Mart has Norma Kamali, Simmons' American Classics and rumor has it that they are doing a deal with Tommy Hilfiger. What these stores have in common is that they are AFFORDABLE to the average Joe and offer DESIGNER clothing lines. You can't survive an ecomonic downturn by selling overpriced chichy frou-frou clothing to silverhaired Round Hill backcountry mavens to give to their bratty grandkids. Adieu Best & Co!
These "names" are affordable because even "premium" fashion, furniture, and almost every other big name have their goods manufactured in countries with cheap labor. American workders need to be paid more to afford to live here and to buy all the goodies and toys advertising says we need to feel self-worth. The hand-crafted quallity of the olden days happened when fewer material goodies were demanded (Great-grandma did not need a plasma TV, a new computer every six months, etc.) With the American leaning towards having lots of OK quality than a very few high quality goods, very durable goods stores will need more than a small, local, wealthy customer base to stay alive. It would seem the Avenue needs to attract more big spenders from the surrounding region, even other countries, if it wants to sustain its "frou-frou" personna. Problem is, this town doesn't seem to like many outsiders; something will have to give.
jacks medulla oblongata

Norwalk, CT

#42 Jul 14, 2009
Again, just like the 1st comment on this thread, I dont understand the glee for a business that failed because it was targeted to high income clientele? I need to look back and see if the same 'adieu' and 'good riddance' was written about the Gap, Al Franklins, and Da Vincis that closed over the years.
Adieu Best and Co wrote:
Target has some great stuff if you haven't been there lately check out the home furnishings by Todd Oldham and Philippe Starck. The clothing lines has some funky designers like Mossimo Giannulli, Marc Ecko, Stephen Sprouse, Cynthia Rowley and Mizrahi, cosmetics by makeup artist Sonia Kashuk and camping equipment by Eddie Bauer. My favorite is Daisy Fuentes! Wall-Mart has Norma Kamali, Simmons' American Classics and rumor has it that they are doing a deal with Tommy Hilfiger. What these stores have in common is that they are AFFORDABLE to the average Joe and offer DESIGNER clothing lines. You can't survive an ecomonic downturn by selling overpriced chichy frou-frou clothing to silverhaired Round Hill backcountry mavens to give to their bratty grandkids. Adieu Best & Co!
jackies bone marrow

Jericho, NY

#43 Jul 14, 2009
jacks medulla oblongata wrote:
Again, just like the 1st comment on this thread, I dont understand the glee for a business that failed because it was targeted to high income clientele? I need to look back and see if the same 'adieu' and 'good riddance' was written about the Gap, Al Franklins, and Da Vincis that closed over the years.
<quoted text>
The Gap closed because everyone was shopping at the Gap at the Stamford Mall instead. Baby Gap is still there. The Gap is being replaced by Polo Ralph Lauren (which was before where Tiffany's is now located) but they closed years ago then came back with Rugby Ralph Lauren and now they're building just a regular Polo store. Al Franklin's - the music store? We have Greenwich Music but I miss Sam Goody's. Davinci's had crappy disgusting food - no big loss there although we didn't need another bank!
FYI

Jericho, NY

#44 Jul 14, 2009
Aaron wrote:
<quoted text>
Problem is, this town doesn't seem to like many outsiders; something will have to give.
Whatever gave you that impression? We welcome them with open arms as long as the spend money and not mooch off our services like they do sometimes at the ferries and beaches.
Aaron

Waterford, OH

#45 Jul 14, 2009
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever gave you that impression? We welcome them with open arms as long as the spend money and not mooch off our services like they do sometimes at the ferries and beaches.
But do the "outsiders" who "mooch" off town services also spend more in town? Coastal tourist places such as Nantucket, Cape Cod, and Martha's Vinyard depend upon the beach lure to attract tourists and get them spending in town. All the "free" or low cost tourist attractions in NYC, where cruise ships dock, and most places get outisders to spend in town. As for the "open arms" --wasn't there a big flap a few years ago about Powerball lottery players from New York taking up too many parking spaces on the Avenue with non-Lexus or Mercedeses? I'll let others comment on how "friendly" this town seems to potential spenders. But if the outsiders are not spending enough, the town needs to do more to be warm and frindly to big spenders from outside.
FYI

Jericho, NY

#46 Jul 14, 2009
Aaron wrote:
<quoted text>
But do the "outsiders" who "mooch" off town services also spend more in town? Coastal tourist places such as Nantucket, Cape Cod, and Martha's Vinyard depend upon the beach lure to attract tourists and get them spending in town. All the "free" or low cost tourist attractions in NYC, where cruise ships dock, and most places get outisders to spend in town. As for the "open arms" --wasn't there a big flap a few years ago about Powerball lottery players from New York taking up too many parking spaces on the Avenue with non-Lexus or Mercedeses? I'll let others comment on how "friendly" this town seems to potential spenders. But if the outsiders are not spending enough, the town needs to do more to be warm and frindly to big spenders from outside.
The masses that crowd the ferries are not big spenders - they don't even buy anything at the concession stand at Island Beach, but they do not forget to bring their 50 cousins, crab nets, boom boxes, lawn chairs and grilling equipment. Not to mention coolers filled to the brim with cheap beer. They take the first ferry in and stay on the island the entire day and hog all the picnic tables so if you happen to miss the first ferry and take the second one, your picnic table is gone and you have to walk around hundreds of bodies plunked on the ground. So much for a fun day at the beach. Most locals do not even bother to go there anymore. I agree we need more Nantucket, Vineyard and Cape Cod vacationers here but we can't compete with the beaches in MA. The problem with Powerball was that the hoards of people from New York were inundating I95 and there would be massive traffic jams. So if you lived in Westchester and worked in Greenwich it took 2 hours to get to work. That stopped when NY got its MegaMillions Lotto. Now NYers just buy those tickets in NY and do not come in huge numbers when the powerball jackpot gets near 200Mil. I think when the economy improves, we will not be seeing as many closings on the Ave. The landlords are not charging the stratospheric rents anymore so maybe things will see normalcy again. You're welcome to visit anytime Aaron and bring some of that California sunshine with you (don't forget your wallet).
hana

Saddle River, NJ

#47 Jul 14, 2009
i loved your store, i loved the atmosphere such nice and warm people working in your place. it was a pleasure!!!!!!!!!
ggg

Glendora, CA

#48 Jul 14, 2009
OMG
Ken

Brooklyn, NY

#49 Aug 18, 2009
It is real scary to read some of these posts. In particular the poster who drank the "kool aid" and seems to love Target.
The so called designer brands at Target, are still junk and will last one season, if that. The revival of Best & Co., attempted to bring back a civil level of shopping, with an air of class, and gentility. I guess asuuming Greenwich could appreciate this was a huge fauxpas. I remember when Best & Co., did a trunk show 5 summers ago in Southampton, and she wrote orders galore. Perhaps had she set up shop here, the store would be prospering today. In Southampton Village we have Saks, Brooks Brothers, etc. but we also still have our local hardware store, shoe store and jewelers. The belnd works and we know that the high end stores bring in valuable tax revenue that keeps the village running. As for Woolworth's, there are gone for good, but here on the east end, we still have a 5 & 10 in Sag Harbor, and one in Greenport, and we patronize them.
Perhaps Greenwich deserves a Dollar Tree, where Best and Co., was.

Ken
Greenwich Old Timer

Jericho, NY

#50 Aug 18, 2009
Ken, This is soooooo Schizoid at best! Praising Best & Co and then saying we need a Dollar Store in its place? Go figure! The Target Store poster hit the nail right on the head! Hamptons you say? Go post that on another board that cares.
Ken wrote:
It is real scary to read some of these posts. In particular the poster who drank the "kool aid" and seems to love Target.
The so called designer brands at Target, are still junk and will last one season, if that. The revival of Best & Co., attempted to bring back a civil level of shopping, with an air of class, and gentility. I guess asuuming Greenwich could appreciate this was a huge fauxpas. I remember when Best & Co., did a trunk show 5 summers ago in Southampton, and she wrote orders galore. Perhaps had she set up shop here, the store would be prospering today. In Southampton Village we have Saks, Brooks Brothers, etc. but we also still have our local hardware store, shoe store and jewelers. The belnd works and we know that the high end stores bring in valuable tax revenue that keeps the village running. As for Woolworth's, there are gone for good, but here on the east end, we still have a 5 & 10 in Sag Harbor, and one in Greenport, and we patronize them.
Ken
Dana

Oceanside, CA

#51 Aug 18, 2009
Ken wrote:
Ken
There's room on the Avenue for both high end and affordable goods stores (I loved Pier One when it existed). The error is confusing one's quality as a human being with the costly goods--here, the public has rejected this high end store. In the Woolworth's days it was not so much the affordable goods, but the overall friendliness of the people to shopped the Avenue. I imagine many high end shoppers now go to Stamford Town Center because of the attractive mix of high and "low end" stores and yes, maybe interactions with lively human beings. Here in the LA area, small Rodeo Drive blends in seamlessly with Target, Rite Aid, and little "ethnic" clothing shops. Community and camaraderie are goals more priceless than "quality" overpriced goods.
I told you so

New York, NY

#52 Aug 4, 2014
The Best and Co. that we patronized until 1971 was never seen by Susan Hilfiger. If you are a "baby boomer" your sturdy clothes came from Arnold Constable, your dress clothes came from Best and Co., and your staples came from Ben's. Two of these stores closed their doors because they refused to let teamsters in; the "new" Best and Co. did not approach the original but rather attempted to compete with the over-priced Bergdorf Goodman. Greenwich is an Episcopal Town! In these parts it is understood that we are just not Bergdorf customers "so to speak".
M Huber

New York, NY

#53 Sep 2, 2014
Oh, how we all miss Woolworth's! What did we buy there? Everything! Gift boxes, sewing needles, thread, zippers, piece goods, Simplicity patterns, yarn, knitting needles and crochet hooks, Breck shampoo, mum, stockings, sanitary napkins, silly putty, yoyo's, a paddle with an elastic-attached ball, training pants, baseball cards, At-A-Glance agendas. I could continue but I get tear-filled eyes when I recall the innocence of days gone by; retailers worked for their customers in those days (we boycotted the advertisers that worked for their shareholders). I had to boycott Best & Co., in Greenwich because the owner, Susan Hilfiger, had opened a store named Beauchamp Place on West Putnum Avenue in 1987 which was abandoned in 1990. Rumors with respect to a sticky-fingered partner, unpaid bills, a search for a new owner/manager, etc. began to circulate after her son, Richard, was born. One true story followed the abandonment----Beauchamp Place had a "no-refund; store credit only" policy. Those of us who had store credits were not reimbursed! In plain English I DO NOT do business with anyone who charges me to walk past them!
brandy

Naugatuck, CT

#54 Sep 4, 2014
The US has the highest corp income tax. The tax is a business expense that is past down to the customer. When your products are not competitive you go out of business or cut costs. Moving jobs was  the first thing to do. Now with high taxes you move the company offshore for lower taxes. I would do the same thing. If we cut corp taxes the jobs and tax money would come back.
We have a government headed by corrupt SH!tsticks that only care about getting reelected. They use our money to gain favor with voting "groups" and take our money to do it.

Since: Jun 14

Stratford, CT

#55 Sep 4, 2014
Welcome back brandy.
smother5555

New York, NY

#56 Sep 6, 2014
Sir Samuel wrote:
Welcome back brandy.
This thread is hot!
smother5555

New York, NY

#57 Sep 6, 2014
Does anyone look for a "Made in U.S.A." label when they shop? How about calling Dun and Bradstreet for a triple A credit rated store before we open our wallets!
mad813

New York, NY

#58 Sep 7, 2014
Two old Greenwich Avenue theme songs from my youth. 1) When it's raining, and you're bored, and have nothing to do, then go to Gourmet Galley, and admire the view, of an Invisable Man, Mr. Oliver Who--he's the filthy huxster of Greenwich Avenue. Say "Hello" to Mr. Epstein; "How do you do? It always is a pleasure doing business with you!" See, Epstein's got one register; Who's got two--'cause he's laundering money on Greenwich Avenue! Who can toss a decimal point; Who can throw it TWO!'Cause he got a real discount just for you. 2) Checks and Charges This Way; Cash Only to the Mattress! What does it cost us just to walk past this? If we pay to walk past it; please don't walk in it! With all the conversation with respect to the good, the bad, and the ugly I have to bring up the subject of Oliver's-- one of the original disgraces on The Avenue. An old English Huxster, complete with the "filthy face", selling other people's mistakes in an English speaking town!(The number in red was always higher than full retail.) It was disgraceful, and yet at the same time, amusing. Oliver's, if I'm not mistaken, was effectively shut down by the closing of Bloomingdale's warehouse on Main St. in New Rochelle--a chief supplier. And speaking of Oliver's, and dear Mr. Epstein at Gourmet Galley, The Greenwich Drug Store, which had a triple A credit rating and only carried products that were pure thus fit for human consumption, is the store I miss most! My maiden voyage into CVS, late 1980's, was my last! Nyquil, Comtrex, Teflon, Nylon -oy! If Arnold Diez walked down Greenwich Avenue what would he find? Perhaps we should invite him! Is it possible that we have confused The Chamber of Commerce with The Better Business Bureau? Thanks for listening!
mad813

New York, NY

#59 Sep 7, 2014
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>FYI Susie Hilfiger sold Best & Co to FAO Schwartz in 2007 and made out pretty well indeed. I say bring back Woolworths. Off to the lunch counter, CIAO.
Yes, Susie made out well, when she sold to FAO Schwarz (no "t"), we all paid when FAO Schwarz chose bankruptcy over repeating her mistake.

Since: Jun 14

Stratford, CT

#60 Sep 7, 2014
I feel sorry for the employees. I wish them the best of luck and I hope that they find jobs real soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Diversity missing from Bridgeport mayoral race 1 hr BPT 1
News 1 shot, 1 stabbed in Bridgeport 1 hr BPT 1
News Two Charged In Deadly Shooting Ambush At Bridge... 1 hr BPT 1
News Bridgeport mayoral candidates come out swinging 2 hr jabs 10
News Ex-bank manager admits stealing $516,000 from e... (Apr '09) 14 hr Crazy 362
News Bridgeport Mayoral candidates to debate education 17 hr American Insane Sam 4
News PD: Woman Arrested in Home Depot Checkout Scheme 17 hr American Insane Sam 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages