Best & Co. shuts its doors - Greenwic...

Best & Co. shuts its doors - Greenwich Time

There are 67 comments on the Greenwich Time story from Jun 29, 2009, titled Best & Co. shuts its doors - Greenwich Time. In it, Greenwich Time reports that:

Greenwich Avenue children's furnishing store, Best & Co., has shut down and filed for bankruptcy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Greenwich Time.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ritz

Bellmore, NY

#1 Jun 30, 2009
As a lifelong resident of Greenwich, I know not ONE person who has EVER shopped there.

Was for the Uberclass, the uberich.

Good ridance.
Aaron

Norwalk, CA

#2 Jun 30, 2009
Read the well anthologized short story "The Lesson" by Toni Cade Bambara and you'll see the absurdity of buying overpriced toys (from F.A.O. Shwartz)--for the parents, not the kids. Kids(who grow fast) can't tell a $278 dress from from a Target or thrift store jumper or a thrift store blanket from a $350 cashmere one. The ghetto heroine of the story becomes angry at the "well educated" black guide's attempts to get her charges to aim to be able to buy a $3K toy sailboat when a bit of wood, rag, and string would sail just as well and be just as fun. This store's closing may be an indication that some townies are seeing the absurdity of assuaging the parent's self worth on the backs of their children creates a pernicious poverty of the soul.
jacks medulla oblongata

Norwalk, CT

#3 Jun 30, 2009
Ritz wrote:
As a lifelong resident of Greenwich, I know not ONE person who has EVER shopped there.
Good ridance.
Why is it good riddance? Because you couldn't/didn't want to buy anything in that store? There are many markets that you and your friends are not apart of, doesn't mean that it is 'good riddance' when the market shifts and the doors close. I'm sure the newly unemployed workers of Best & Co. do not share your sentiment.
Cliff

Jericho, NY

#4 Jun 30, 2009
Ritz wrote:
Good ridance.
Envy is eternal and eternally damaging. I never shopped at Best & Co., but received their catalogs. They had beautiful things - what's so terrible about that.
Dana

Norwalk, CA

#5 Jun 30, 2009
Cliff wrote:
<quoted text>
Envy is eternal and eternally damaging. I never shopped at Best & Co., but received their catalogs. They had beautiful things - what's so terrible about that.
Nothing wrong with "beautiful"--depends on what you mean by the word. Is a poor mom's hand-knit sweater (with holes) for her baby or a sister's hand-pasted baby photo album or a sister-crafted rag doll any less "beautiful" than the items in that store? Which definiton of "beauty" do we want kids to focus on through life? Children who grow up focusing only on price of toys and superficial appearaance of clothing (poor Suri Cruise!) end up adopting their parents' values and are poor in many ways. As for the store's laid off employees--we could say the same about the employees of Pier One, Caldor's, Greenwich Drug, Whitman's Bakery, Woolworth's, Cuff's, etc. etc. Unless a bank is already slated to go in that slot, a store should go there that projects open-ness, inclusiveness, community, affordability, and the priceless camaraderie of the Greenwich of old.
marian

United States

#6 Jun 30, 2009
Thank goodness for the kindness of boaters. We hope Jack is fully recovered.
byram boy

Ringwood, NJ

#7 Jun 30, 2009
good, now if we can get saks fifth ave out next
Good Riddance

United States

#8 Jun 30, 2009
Now get Saks out of there and BRING BACK WOOLWORTH'S!
Dana

Oceanside, CA

#9 Jun 30, 2009
Good Riddance wrote:
Now get Saks out of there and BRING BACK WOOLWORTH'S!
Woolworth's was not only the place I bought Angel Face makeup and Beatles 45's, but a very friendly lunch counter. I think the Avenue could use at least one friendly, community-type, modestly priced store where all can shop. In this economy, putting another store with comically over-priced goods will likely fail.
Greenwich resident

Clifton, NJ

#10 Jul 1, 2009
Ms Morrison needs to drive around our down town area and count the empty store fronts - not the store fronts that have been remodeled by owners but the emtpty store fronts because they couldn't make it. I heard 6 months ago that come January another store will be leaving when the lease if up. I imagine she must say this about every space for lease based on 1 or 2 great selling points. "Based on recent history, demand for the former Best & Co. space, in a prime location on Greenwich Avenue at the corner of Bruce Place, will be high, Morrison said."

Is this why we have close to 20 empty stores and plenty of parking on the Ave., I wouldn't want to hang off a ledge by my finger nails waiting for rescue based on her next line - "Even with the recession, downtown we've seen people coming in and snapping up space," she said. "You can't do much better than the Best & Co. space. It's right in the middle of Greenwich Avenue, and the visibility can't be any better."
Greenwich resident

Clifton, NJ

#11 Jul 1, 2009
Dana wrote:
<quoted text>
Woolworth's was not only the place I bought Angel Face makeup and Beatles 45's, but a very friendly lunch counter. I think the Avenue could use at least one friendly, community-type, modestly priced store where all can shop. In this economy, putting another store with comically over-priced goods will likely fail.
Woolworth was our anchor store - if any one at any age needed something it was almost always found in Woolworths. Once on the Ave. then you went elsewhere to pick-up something. Even with Woolworths on the Ave. we still had over moderate and high end stores - thats what made the Ave. work...something for everyone, based on shoppping at Woolworths to simply run in and pick-up a few basics and goldfish food or more goldfish.
Even they knew years ago - give the kid on opening day a free goldfish and Mom will have to come back to the store for a goldfish bowl, neon stone for the bottom, fish food and once that goldfish jumped out the bowl, had its burial at sea (via the toilet bowl)-the cycle to go back to Woolworths continued.
Stamford Resident

Stamford, CT

#12 Jul 1, 2009
How dare that they may want nice material things! How dare they not share the same perfect family values as I!
Dana wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing wrong with "beautiful"--depends on what you mean by the word. Is a poor mom's hand-knit sweater (with holes) for her baby or a sister's hand-pasted baby photo album or a sister-crafted rag doll any less "beautiful" than the items in that store? Which definiton of "beauty" do we want kids to focus on through life? Children who grow up focusing only on price of toys and superficial appearaance of clothing (poor Suri Cruise!) end up adopting their parents' values and are poor in many ways. As for the store's laid off employees--we could say the same about the employees of Pier One, Caldor's, Greenwich Drug, Whitman's Bakery, Woolworth's, Cuff's, etc. etc. Unless a bank is already slated to go in that slot, a store should go there that projects open-ness, inclusiveness, community, affordability, and the priceless camaraderie of the Greenwich of old.
Orion

Cattaraugus, NY

#13 Jul 1, 2009
Greenwich resident wrote:
Ms Morrison needs to drive around our down town area and count the empty store fronts - not the store fronts that have been remodeled by owners but the emtpty store fronts because they couldn't make it. I heard 6 months ago that come January another store will be leaving when the lease if up. I imagine she must say this about every space for lease based on 1 or 2 great selling points. "Based on recent history, demand for the former Best & Co. space, in a prime location on Greenwich Avenue at the corner of Bruce Place, will be high, Morrison said."
Is this why we have close to 20 empty stores and plenty of parking on the Ave., I wouldn't want to hang off a ledge by my finger nails waiting for rescue based on her next line - "Even with the recession, downtown we've seen people coming in and snapping up space," she said. "You can't do much better than the Best & Co. space. It's right in the middle of Greenwich Avenue, and the visibility can't be any better."
Then I can see how a store like Woolworth's, which could restore some custormers and overall life to the Avenue would really out of place; empty, dead, storefronts promising only the "finest" material goods fit right in with the Avenue's motif. I say, put another bank in that space.

Since: Jul 08

Murrells Inlet, SC

#14 Jul 1, 2009
Stamford Resident wrote:
How dare that they may want nice material things! How dare they not share the same perfect family values as I!
<quoted text>
You're right. Apparently, some readers miss the 60's a bit too much - you know, flower children and all ;)

Murrells Inlet, SC

#15 Jul 1, 2009
Dana wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all very nice Dana, but is that why you apparently now live in CA rather than CT?
Dana

Norwalk, CA

#16 Jul 1, 2009
Ret-PD wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all very nice Dana, but is that why you apparently now live in CA rather than CT?
Yes, and so....? But the store DID close, right? Many have closed, and more are slated to close, right? There have been a few "Greenwich of old" nostalgia threads on this forum (and I seem to recall you were a regular poster), many lamenting the closing of the Pickwick Arms and more ancient institutions. So I'm thinking that more folks--still in town--want a friendly-vendored Avenue, in which people of all incomes can socialize and appreciate the value in community as well as shop. I suppose it will take the closing of most the the puffery stores now on the Avenue for the powers that make such decisons to finally get the point. Ah, for the days when we hippies sang folks songs in Binney Park....

Murrells Inlet, SC

#17 Jul 1, 2009
Like it or not Greenwich changed drastically in the 80's and 90's. Whether it was for the good is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder.

The reality is that everything changes at some point and all we can do is make the best of it. Hey, with these stores starting to close, maybe soon you'll be saying everything old is new again.

Anyway, seems like you folks in California have enough problems these days. I hope you're also telling the powers that be in that fair state how they're doing.
former res

Norristown, PA

#18 Jul 1, 2009
Ret-PD wrote:
Like it or not Greenwich changed drastically in the 80's and 90's. Whether it was for the good is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder.
The reality is that everything changes at some point and all we can do is make the best of it. Hey, with these stores starting to close, maybe soon you'll be saying everything old is new again.
Anyway, seems like you folks in California have enough problems these days. I hope you're also telling the powers that be in that fair state how they're doing.
You're all heart - and of course an endless supply of empty platitudes, as usual.

Topped off by a dismissive comment.

If you're not interested in a subject, why engage?

Murrells Inlet, SC

#19 Jul 2, 2009
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
You're all heart - and of course an endless supply of empty platitudes, as usual.
Topped off by a dismissive comment.
If you're not interested in a subject, why engage?
Let's see...dismissive comment and why engage...hmmm. Maybe you should look in the mirror, jackass.

If you were more interested in making a point rather than being so sarcastic maybe you'd see what some of us are saying. You don't have to agree just to understand.
former res

Norristown, PA

#20 Jul 2, 2009
Scintillating points made by Ret-PD in Post #17:

* Greenwich has changed.

* Some may like the change, some may not.

* Everything changes.

* Californians shouldn't comment on Greenwich.

This is deep shxt. I think he should write a book! NOW I'm being sarcastic!(Armchair philosophy might not sell too well.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Raid On Bridgeport Bar Yields 85 Underage Drink... 17 hr America Gentleman... 9
News 3 Charged With Stealing $300K In Money Orders F... 17 hr America Gentleman... 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Bill Finch as Mayor? Sat BPT 3
Stop A Real Problem, Cutting MIddle Class Retir... Sat BPT 4
News Women Discuss Careers at Housatonic Community C... Sat BPT 6
News Property owners sue Bridgeport over perfume fac... Fri America Gentleman... 1
News No Magic Wand For Budget Woes, Malloy Tells Bri... Apr 28 America Gentleman... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages