Hiring of African-Americans lags in D...

Hiring of African-Americans lags in Danbury police, fire depart...

There are 138 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Jul 24, 2009, titled Hiring of African-Americans lags in Danbury police, fire depart.... In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

Ask George Johnson the date he was promoted to sergeant in the Danbury Police Department, and he'll answer the question almost before you can finish asking it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
curious

New Haven, CT

#1 Jul 24, 2009
let's kidnap some minorities, force them to take the tests and hire them on the spot. not to worry about scores, ability, determination or interest. problem solved. why didn't they think of that?
whatajoke

Hamden, CT

#2 Jul 25, 2009
All the minorities have to do in prder to land one of these jobs is be just somewhat intelligent enough to pass a test. Obviosly that's NOT the
case therfore they don't get the jobs.
The Obvious

Chicopee, MA

#3 Jul 25, 2009
Maybe the minorities should pay attention in school a little more and stop Blaming the White Man for their problems.Or maybe they are just Dumba$$e$ and don't want to try!
falconetti

Stuart, FL

#4 Jul 25, 2009
Many years ago, Danbury was in such a "hurry" to have a black person on the FD, they offered the job to a black man to just sign the application. He said no, he wanted to earn the job. True story.

To reflect the community, will they hire illegals?
simplyamazed

Hudson, NH

#5 Jul 25, 2009
...oh boy, here we go...
UMM

New York, NY

#6 Jul 25, 2009
falconetti wrote:
Many years ago, Danbury was in such a "hurry" to have a black person on the FD, they offered the job to a black man to just sign the application. He said no, he wanted to earn the job. True story.
They also fired a black man because he couldn't show up to work on time... Guess things will never change
Ca mu na t Disorganizer

Trumbull, CT

#7 Jul 25, 2009
falconetti wrote:
A few years ago Danbury was so desperate to hire a black school superintendant, they hired Eddie Davis; what a disaster!
Danbury Teacher

Gloucester, MA

#8 Jul 25, 2009
Ca mu na t Disorganizer wrote:
<quoted text>
A few years ago Danbury was so desperate to hire a black school superintendant, they hired Eddie Davis; what a disaster!
Actually Mr. Davis was a nice man who had great ideas for Danbury. What he did not have was the support of the Board of Ed. Hmmmmmmmmmm........ Wonder Why??
Danbury Resident

United States

#9 Jul 25, 2009
The overall breakdown of races in Danbury is one thing, but what is the breakdown of college graduates (or even high school graduates) among races? Maybe there are more whites on the police force because there are more educated white people than non-white. I don't care what the race or gender of a police officer is, but I do want them to be educated and most qualified to do their job...if the minorities (or whites) can't pass the test, they don't get the job.
yikes67

Middletown, CT

#10 Jul 25, 2009
If black people aren't applying how is that the city's fault?
havint to deal with all the illegals and drunk drivers..i wouldnt want to work in danbury either.
Get Real62

Powder Springs, GA

#11 Jul 25, 2009
somethings never change!!!!!!!!
Hey Now

Salem, CT

#12 Jul 25, 2009
Maybe African Americans just realized that it sucks to be a cop; and have not applied because they do not want to work long hours, weekends, holidays, etc. While some people criticize you for doing your job and others criticize you for not doing your job.

Just ask Sgt. Crowley from Cambridge Mass
wtf

United States

#13 Jul 25, 2009
I don't get it. Did we not learn from the New Haven firefighter law suit? Lets start messing with the rules because we dont have enough minorities on the job.. Great! What now, because we have a black president we need to have black public service people? Here's an idea. How about hiring people based on ability rather than ethnic status? What the heck happened to this country. Everything is so skewed away from common sense these days. Leave it up to this piece of [email protected] paper to write a story like this. Amazing...
Yeah Ok

Chicopee, MA

#14 Jul 25, 2009
yikes67 wrote:
If **** aren't applying how is that the city's fault?
havint to deal with all the illegals and drunk drivers..i wouldnt want to work in danbury either.
I agree, if there are no applicants how can you beat up the PD. I think the newstimes is looking for a story that is not there because of the ruckus that is going on with FDNY. There is no story, move on newstimes look else where.
absolutely

United States

#15 Jul 25, 2009
falconetti wrote:
I know all about this story as well and it really gets me mad. This town has repeatedly ignored the rules to suit themselves. They pass over all the people that actually work hard, get certifications and do things the right way. I was pretty low on the list for the citys fire department. Made it through the written and the orals. I got passed over because I didn't have my CPAT cert yet (which wasn't required to get until you got the call). I got a letter from The City stating I needed to get it because they were going to hire from the list in the fall. This was in April that year. So that day I made my appointment to take the test. I get a call a week later from HR asking if I had it. Told them I got their letter, scheduled to take it on such and such a date, they said sorry that's to late..click! There went my dream. But yet they hired "relatives" of existing men on the dept who didn't have it or were expired! Well done Danbury! Now your getting sued by some of the people you screwed over and they will win.. and this town will have to pay for it.

Politic as usual..
eql opprtnty emplyr

Exeter, NH

#16 Jul 25, 2009
The danbury p.d. would have had a higher percentage of minorities but rev. pitt's son left the force a few years ago
Ca mu na t Disorganizer

Trumbull, CT

#17 Jul 25, 2009
Danbury Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Mr. Davis was a nice man who had great ideas for Danbury. What he did not have was the support of the Board of Ed. Hmmmmmmmmmm........ Wonder Why??
Maybe because he was clueless and lazy.
Tyy

New York, NY

#18 Jul 25, 2009
absolutely wrote:
<quoted text>
I know all about this story as well and it really gets me mad. This town has repeatedly ignored the rules to suit themselves. They pass over all the people that actually work hard, get certifications and do things the right way. I was pretty low on the list for the citys fire department. Made it through the written and the orals. I got passed over because I didn't have my CPAT cert yet (which wasn't required to get until you got the call). I got a letter from The City stating I needed to get it because they were going to hire from the list in the fall. This was in April that year. So that day I made my appointment to take the test. I get a call a week later from HR asking if I had it. Told them I got their letter, scheduled to take it on such and such a date, they said sorry that's to late..click! There went my dream. But yet they hired "relatives" of existing men on the dept who didn't have it or were expired! Well done Danbury! Now your getting sued by some of the people you screwed over and they will win.. and this town will have to pay for it.
Politic as usual..
I took the same test, if you read the packet they gave you at the time you applied you would have know you needed the cpat and you would have taken it. Athough you probally wouldn't have passed and you probally would have sued the state casue the test was to hard
Yeah Right

New Haven, CT

#19 Jul 25, 2009
whatajoke wrote:
All the minorities have to do in prder to land one of these jobs is be just somewhat intelligent enough to pass a test. Obviosly that's NOT the
case therfore they don't get the jobs.
Learn to spell before you make a comment on something !!!
absolutely

United States

#21 Jul 25, 2009
Tyy wrote:
<quoted text>I took the same test, if you read the packet they gave you at the time you applied you would have know you needed the cpat and you would have taken it. Athough you probally wouldn't have passed and you probally would have sued the state casue the test was to hard
I knew we had to take the test so if you read what I wrote you would have seen that. I didnt sign up for it until I heard from them. Why pay for it if Im not going to get on. And just so you know, i did take it and I did pass and I dont sue people. What makes it ok for the town to do that. They were wrong. Not me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Council wants more say in downtown development ... 11 hr BPT 2
News Restaurant Road Trip: Brewport a " Pizza Hot Of... 12 hr America Gentleman... 2
News Man, woman arrested twice in same day 12 hr America Gentleman... 2
News Where was your first job in southwestern Connec... 13 hr BPT 2
News Search Resumes Saturday For Bridgeport Man Swep... 13 hr BPT 2
News Downtown property owners stick by meters Sat America Gentleman... 1
News Connecticut girl mauled by pit bull A 10-year-o... Sat America Gentleman... 1

Trumbull Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages