Daponte: Stratford Attorney Should Be...

Daponte: Stratford Attorney Should Be Audited Following Arrest

There are 19 comments on the Patch.com story from Aug 8, 2013, titled Daponte: Stratford Attorney Should Be Audited Following Arrest. In it, Patch.com reports that:

By Beth Daponte The citizens of Stratford have every right to expect attorneys who represent the town to have as much integrity as lawyers they would hire for their personal business.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

Opportunist

AOL

#1 Aug 8, 2013
What an opportunist. Unfortunate that the guy got arrested. Even more unfortunate that this candidate would attempt to spin it into a political issue.

Utterly classless.
Vote Paul

Bridgeport, CT

#2 Aug 9, 2013
The banking career of Daponte’s Democratic opponent, Joe Paul, who has submitted signatures to have a primary against Daponte to determine who will be on the ballot against Harkins in November, has been an issue for supporters of Daponte.
“The public should be informed about people’s records,” Daponte said, and how an opponent has done in his job “is a valid question.”
People close to Daponte point to Paul being terminated after three years in sales. Paul points to the previous 36 years of promotions to senior vice president in operations. Daponte acknowledged that the last years of a long career do not have to define a career, and that if a person’s career ends on a bad note that does not necessarily negate any previous successes.

Presently she owns Social Science Consultants in Stratford, which specializes in evaluating systems utilized by nonprofit organizations.

And now she works for herself because she could not hold a position?

Seems like she skips from one position to another.
Who does she represent?

Who are her clients?
TRUTH

Bridgeport, CT

#3 Aug 9, 2013
Beth Daponte, by virtue of her academic and working backgrounds, is a proven leader with highly developed analytic, evaluation, and organizational skills.

She holds a doctorate from the University of Chicago and has worked as a demographer for the U.S. Census Bureau. She has held a faculty position at Yale University, and worked at the United Nations as a Chief in the Office of Internal Oversight Services.

Beth serves the Stratford community as a Sterling House volunteer, as vice chair of the Democratic Town Committee and as an active member of Christ Episcopal Church.

Beth will open the doors of City Hall to all citizens, set a new and positive direction to broaden Stratford's business base and bring improved efficiency for the delivery of public services.
mudder

Bridgeport, CT

#4 Aug 9, 2013
"Beth Daponte, by virtue of her academic and working backgrounds, is a proven leader with highly developed analytic, evaluation, and organizational skills.
She holds a doctorate from the University of Chicago and has worked as a demographer for the U.S. Census Bureau. She has held a faculty position at Yale University, and worked at the United Nations as a Chief in the Office of Internal Oversight Services.
Presently she owns Social Science Consultants in Stratford, which specializes in evaluating systems utilized by nonprofit organizations."

Was at the US Census, WAS at Yale, WAS at the United Nations.
Seems to me by virtue of academic and working backgrounds, and multiple past jobs - was not a proven leader.
Doesn't it seem she just proved she can get a job - just not keep a job.

How quick she throws stones at a person only charged with a crime.
I guess the American Justice premise of "presumption of innocence" does not apply- when she can use the arrest for her own political gain.
I refuse to support someone who ignores basic American rights.
Carpetbagger

Bridgeport, CT

#5 Aug 11, 2013
“Ten years ago our mill rate was the same as Milford’s is today. My goal is to achieve Milford’s (current) mill rate of $26."
“I am not sure how achievable that is, because I am on the outside, but that is my goal,” Dapondi said.“We have to look at reducing spending and figure out how to be more competitive.”
Gee - she is not sure if she can lower taxes? What a surprise. Why didn't she buy in Milford?
I have not yet heard about any of her accomplishments in previous positions or money saving innovations like Mr Paul provided.

Being the analytical researcher and evaluator that she is by training and experience, Daponte has been talking to an often well-regarded source of local information — residential real estate agents.
She has heard that homes often sell in the $200,000 to $300,000 range, but those who can afford more than $300,000 are often choosing other towns.“Stratford is not at the top of their list, and that didn’t use to be the case,” Daponte said.

So when she bought her house in 2003 for $500,000.00 she chose Stratford. What source steered her here and how much did she analyze then?
analyze this

Bridgeport, CT

#6 Aug 12, 2013
“Ten years ago our mill rate was the same as Milford’s is today. My goal is to achieve Milford’s (current) mill rate of $26."
“I am not sure how achievable that is, because I am on the outside, but that is my goal,” Daponte said.“We have to look at reducing spending and figure out how to be more competitive.”

Beth - "being the analytical researcher and evaluator that she is by training and experience," - why not shoot for Shelton's rate of 21.85 mills?

"Being the analytical researcher and evaluator that she is by training and experience," Daponte should have looked at the town budgets 10 years ago before buying her house in Stratford and saw that Stratford's pension fund was woefully underfunded because the town failed to make their planned contributions. And Milford's pension plan is FULLY funded with a SURPLUS that allows them to give retirees COST OF LIVING increases to help keep up with inflation - due to their proper FULL funding of their pension plan.
Patty knows

Danielson, CT

#7 Aug 14, 2013
This is not the only issue I have with Beth Daponte, but it just reinforces my belief that she is not the right person for the job. All I see is another Miron-like regime. We don’t need over-educated, civil rights do-gooders running the Town either. While not an issue here, I was taken aback when, a few years ago, Wooster Middle School initiated a discipline program - which, in my opinion is needed in all schools - Ms. Daponte pulled her son out and put him in a private school because she felt it was disruptive to their learning experience. What about the disruption caused by the mis-behaved students (from A-students to F-students). I don't want to get off-track, but if that, along with this "audit" request is any indication - oh, boy, we're in for a rollercoaster ride for another four years!
Trantolaw

Shelton, CT

#8 Aug 18, 2013
Then vote Joe Paul you idiot...or better yet bring back JIM!!!
Bardster

Danielson, CT

#9 Aug 18, 2013
A judge Wednesday refused to cut the probation time for former Stratford political leader Richard Miron, convicted in 2010 of stealing thousands of dollars from elderly widows and dozens of other people who had paid him for headstones for loved ones.
Miron, the former owner of Lake-view Monument Co., is a former Stratford Democratic registrar of voters and the father of former Stratford Mayor James Miron. In 2010, he pleaded guilty to stealing $78,098.28 from 72 people who had contracted with him to purchase headstones, and was sentenced to a suspended 10-year term, followed by five years probation.

Well Lady Beth - what say ye on this?
Any analyzing done on this?
Thyne peasants thirst for the truth.
iknow

United States

#10 Aug 19, 2013
Hey Bardster, that's all you have? Keep dragging up Miron's name? Newsflash- John Harkins has to run on his own record now, which is not good. Beating up on Miron got him elected once, not this time, however. The people have been paying attention and we want a mayor who can engage the community and champion our town. Harkins is unable to do that, he can't even get out from under his desk long enough to talk to people. Restore pride? Bringing people together? What a joke! Just ask the Dog Park people or Shakespeare volunteers how that worked out. This guy is an embarrassment and if the voters of Stratford re-elect him than they deserve exactly what they get. Higher taxes, less services. Great job Mr. Mayor.
i low

Danielson, CT

#11 Aug 19, 2013
Once again jealousy rears it's ugly head.
If you are such a star- step up & run for mayor.
If you had some real verifiable facts you would have already gone to the local news rags.
Or spoke up at a council meeting.
But you choose to throw your mud where you don't have to show your face.
Typical whiner - need cheese?
iknow

Stratford, CT

#12 Aug 19, 2013
Jealousy!? You have no idea what you're talking about. Higher Taxes, less services. Fact.
Hey Beth

Bridgeport, CT

#13 Sep 7, 2013
The citizens of Stratford have every right to expect the treasurer who represents Daponte campaign to have as much integrity as lawyers they would hire for their personal business

Beth will there be an audit of all Barry Davis's work he has done for you??????????

http://www.stratfordstar.com/11916/daponte-ca...
Wow

AOL

#14 Sep 7, 2013
Interesting article... and position by this candidate.

Threw her treasurer under the bus.

In a heartbeat.

Speaks volumes as to character.
Vote

Bridgeport, CT

#16 Sep 8, 2013
Joe Paul has my vote
Darn Fed Up

Stratford, CT

#17 Oct 13, 2013
Tim Bishop should be in jail for life.
DDS

United States

#18 Oct 21, 2013
Well done
smtoth

Bridgeport, CT

#19 Oct 17, 2015
Opportunist wrote:
What an opportunist. Unfortunate that the guy got arrested. Even more unfortunate that this candidate would attempt to spin it into a political issue.
Utterly classless.
Opportunist? You mean it's unfortunate the guy got caught. If you believe a criminal should be the Town Attorney you should go to Bridgeport and enroll to help in the Joe Ganim for Mayor Campaign.
Political issue? It goes to the man's character and integrity.
smtoth

Bridgeport, CT

#20 Oct 17, 2015
Patty knows wrote:
This is not the only issue I have with Beth Daponte, but it just reinforces my belief that she is not the right person for the job. All I see is another Miron-like regime. We don’t need over-educated, civil rights do-gooders running the Town either. While not an issue here, I was taken aback when, a few years ago, Wooster Middle School initiated a discipline program - which, in my opinion is needed in all schools - Ms. Daponte pulled her son out and put him in a private school because she felt it was disruptive to their learning experience. What about the disruption caused by the mis-behaved students (from A-students to F-students). I don't want to get off-track, but if that, along with this "audit" request is any indication - oh, boy, we're in for a rollercoaster ride for another four years!
Dayville CT? Another WTF Republican!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Undocumented immigrant arrested after double st... 2 hr tomin cali 1
News Rep. Jim Himes faces softball questions at Brid... 4 hr America Gentleman... 5
News Amber Alert Fatal Stabbing Suspect Is Illegal I... 4 hr America Gentleman... 1
News After fatal stabbing, alert for missing Bridgep... 4 hr America Gentleman... 1
News Fairfield fill pile testing for contaminants co... 6 hr Johnny 1
News Bridgeport Attorney Pleads Guilty To Scheme To ... 15 hr BPT 1
News Exterior of St. Vincent's Medical Center, in Br... 15 hr BPT 3

Trumbull Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages