Obama: Slavery was a terrible part of...

Obama: Slavery was a terrible part of U.S. history

There are 121 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Jul 12, 2009, titled Obama: Slavery was a terrible part of U.S. history. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

President Barack Obama says slavery is a terrible part of the United States' history and should be taught in a meaningful way.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

Dingo

Elk Grove, CA

#121 Oct 16, 2011
You can't deport me; I'm invisible
Don't worry we sending in the special unit from Homeland Security, the invisible Immigration officers, pack your bags.
:-)
Getflushed wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Though the Eastern US was especially fragrant and productive because of the Iroquois genocides from Maine to South Carolina... against other Indian tribes.
You can't deport me; I'm invisible.
America Gentleman Samuel

United States

#122 Oct 16, 2011
Idaho is a black BA$TARD from HELL who harass Sam.
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#124 Oct 16, 2011
Why you were given kudos is beyond me.

Once those slaves were purchased, the legacy became a part of OUR history. And this monument and our president is president of OUR country.

We could have bought them, and then freed them. Or at the very least made a biblical or reasonable accomodation for that. Whether it be indentured servitude or some other arrangement.

Africans didn't pass laws in the US that made 90% of the slaves in America slaves in perpetuity. Africans didn't rape the black women and force the children into slavery in America. Africans didn't use Christianity to justify it. Africans didn't enforce brutal slave laws in the USA to the point that one's appearance and ancestry became the centerpiece of some social racist legacy.

So no, he didn't mention Africans because they are not responsible for what we did HERE in AMERICA.
donkeyman wrote:
strange how he failed to mention that africans rounded up and sold the slaves to the traders.of course that will never be taught "in a meaningful way"
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#125 Oct 16, 2011
Dude bullcrap.

You sound like Hitler.

Seriously. What went on in those places was not this big thing you speak of. And you don't know crap about the Iroquois. Furthermore, you don't know crap about what was going on in Africa. Your European manipulators would pay off a small tribe with guns and whatever else to invade a larger tribe and force them into slavery to come to the coast.

The legacy of slavery in Africa was ballooned by the Slave Trade across the atlantic. Although they are liable for that initial sale, we are liable for all the crap afterwards. We forced their descendents for 300 years to remain enslaved. No African had anything to do with that.

And as far as Native Americans go. You have no right to justify the actions of European murderers based on your very incorrect view of what the Iroquois were doing or not doing at some period of time. You don't get to pass of your legacy of hate on entire races of people based on some acts of a group within that race (or two groups or five or whatever). You are far worse and insufficient to judge.
Getflushed wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Though the Eastern US was especially fragrant and productive because of the Iroquois genocides from Maine to South Carolina... against other Indian tribes.
You can't deport me; I'm invisible.
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#127 Oct 16, 2011
You must hate white people an awful lot to want to insult them and reinstitute slavery against them.

Are you part of an anti-white faction or something?

Muah!
THE GENUlNEPHYLLlS wrote:
<quoted text>
true, but they stink like shit and really shouldn't be considered human. reinstate slavery xox
Bacigalupe

White Plains, NY

#128 Oct 16, 2011
Daniel wrote:
WHITES STINK
<quoted text>
CORRECT
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#129 Oct 16, 2011
Incorrect. I never said that whites stink.
Bacigalupe wrote:
<quoted text>CORRECT

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#131 Oct 16, 2011
<quoted text>
ya got that right buddy xoxo
#122 is not me, but the Gay Crazy Imposter.
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#132 Oct 16, 2011
OH I see, so you are like some kind of anarchist or troll...
<quoted text>
I enjoy fabricating quotes, making it look like someone else said them. And I just assume the readers are too stupid to check to see if my reply with the quote inside actually came from a post. For instance, I cheated on my husband, then wrote bad checks in his name. But I signed it with his name. Thus he went to jail. Hilarious.
So it's easy to just post anything in the reply between the brackets. Make it look like the person said something they didn't say.
And for the record. Yes I do hate white people. Sorry Daniel for misquoting you twice on that. Got carried away. xoxo
Daniel

Adrian, MI

#133 Oct 16, 2011
LOL I guess you are pretty cool after all. I never thought of it that way.
<quoted text>
I do admit though, the idea that Obama was born in Kenya came 100% from a lot of racist types. I mean the idea his mother would go there, while pregnant is hilarious. It was the late 60s and seriously there weren't any cell phones. She wasn't going to go to Kenya to have a birthday. They probably didn't have roads and she wouldn't have taken the chance on the plane. Besides where would she draw up all the money for that in such short notice. xox.
BPWW

Manchester, CT

#134 Oct 18, 2012
<quoted text>
Just because you don't like Idaho is no reason to throw around horrible insults like "bastard" and "black". Lighten up, Sam xox.
i happen to be from stratford if i ever find out who you are i'll bust your F8cking a** you f*cking cracker b*tch.
BPT

United States

#135 Oct 18, 2012
140 yrs later wrote:
Yeah,slavery was bad.But did we need Obama to tell us something so obvious?
Slavery needs to be reinstated. Think of all the lives that would be saved if blacks were not allowed to roam the streets with guns.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#137 Mar 18, 2014
BPT wrote:
<quoted text>Think of all the lives that would be saved if blacks were not allowed to roam the streets with guns.
Oops, did i miss zimmieboy being black as he seems the recent poster boy of roaming the streets with a gun.
Nulli Secundus

Woodbury, CT

#139 Mar 19, 2014
Obama: Slavery was a terrible part of U.S. history
NS: obie's regime is turning out to be a MORE-terrible part of U.S.History.
foster

Ashburn, VA

#140 Mar 19, 2014
donkeyman wrote:
strange how he failed to mention that africans rounded up and sold the slaves to the traders.of course that will never be taught "in a meaningful way"
Up til 1629 all the exiles from English domains came as slaves and servants.
foster

Ashburn, VA

#141 Mar 19, 2014
donkeyman wrote:
Then explain the Irish and European slaves and indentured servants in English settlements
foster

Ashburn, VA

#142 Mar 19, 2014
Common citizens in England were servants and slaves so were Europeans where England had concured. England exiled those hard cases to the wilderness which was America rather than chance insurrection.
foster

Ashburn, VA

#143 Mar 19, 2014
pwilson wrote:
<quoted text>I have brought this fact up many times, only to have it be ignored.
People, take the blinders off, and let it go.
it is bogus. the portuguse began kidnapping and selling africans in the 14th century.
foster

Ashburn, VA

#144 Mar 19, 2014
American History is incomplete without World History as the precursor
foster

Ashburn, VA

#146 Mar 20, 2014
BPT wrote:
<quoted text>That's hilarious because the Portuguese aren't exactly 100% human either, so you technically have a case of animals enslaving/selling animals.
England considered the Portugue and most Europeans uncivilized savages. The diaspora just dumped the undesireables in America

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News EPA overrules GE on Housatonic PCBs cleanup (Oct '16) 10 hr Gavone 15
News Monkey - high-fives' with children at Bridgepor... 13 hr BPT 3
News Way Back When ... 1891 Tue gavone 5
News Passersby recall a Bridgeport teen who - liked ... Oct 16 BPT 4
News Bridgeport Police ID Teen Shot Dead In Apparent... Oct 14 America Gentleman... 1
News Police: 'Does Not Look Good' For Man Shot At Br... Oct 14 America Gentleman... 1
News Former corrections officer sentenced for beatin... Oct 14 America Gentleman... 1

Trumbull Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages