Obama: Slavery was a terrible part of...

Obama: Slavery was a terrible part of U.S. history

There are 121 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Jul 12, 2009, titled Obama: Slavery was a terrible part of U.S. history. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

President Barack Obama says slavery is a terrible part of the United States' history and should be taught in a meaningful way.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
140 yrs later

Dover, NJ

#1 Jul 12, 2009
Yeah,slavery was bad.But did we need Obama to tell us something so obvious?
A Nnoyed

Freehold, NJ

#2 Jul 12, 2009
Bush neglected to mention that. Bad Bush, it's all your fault. Lucky me I saw Roots and knew this already but you other 300 million people would have never known. Thanks Barack.
Nick College Student

Independence, OR

#3 Jul 12, 2009
-and AFRICAN history as well.
donkeyman

Midland, OR

#4 Jul 12, 2009
strange how he failed to mention that africans rounded up and sold the slaves to the traders.of course that will never be taught "in a meaningful way"
pwilson

Trumbull, CT

#5 Jul 12, 2009
For a President who's always saying "time to move foward", Why bring up the past?
Let it go.
Aretha

Orland Park, IL

#6 Jul 12, 2009
140 yrs later wrote:
Yeah,slavery was bad.But did we need Obama to tell us something so obvious?
Might be news to him. Perhaps US History isn't taught in a more meaningful way in Hawaii. What a pompous man.
pwilson

Trumbull, CT

#7 Jul 12, 2009
donkeyman wrote:
strange how he failed to mention that africans rounded up and sold the slaves to the traders.of course that will never be taught "in a meaningful way"
I have brought this fact up many times, only to have it be ignored.

People, take the blinders off, and let it go.
Nick College Student

Independence, OR

#10 Jul 12, 2009
donkeyman wrote:
-funny, I often think the same thing...

bob

“Ron Paul is my president.”

Since: Jun 07

Trenton, N.J.

#11 Jul 12, 2009
Aretha wrote:
<quoted text>
Might be news to him. Perhaps US History isn't taught in a more meaningful way in Hawaii. What a pompous man.
don't you mean indonesia?
lifeisshort

Brewster, NY

#12 Jul 12, 2009
donkeyman wrote:
It's also strange that Rev. Sharpton never mentions that either! Hmmmm. He probably would if whites were rounding them up.
lifeisshort

Brewster, NY

#13 Jul 12, 2009
When Obama said "taught in a meaningful way", was he also refering to the number of children's books that were banned in school due to them allegedly being too sensitive to blacks? Give me a break! We all know who to blame for that.
mumbly peg

United States

#14 Jul 12, 2009
How happy they were, sitting around the campfires at night singing duda duda.they were all employed, had a roof over their heads, paid no taxes, and just picked a bale of cotton.
L Jay

Bridgeport, CT

#15 Jul 12, 2009
How did President Obama's history recognition turn into a bashing the blacks session, AGAIN. What's wrong with you people???
tlc

United States

#16 Jul 13, 2009
The key word here is HISTORY. Let it go and move on already.
lifeisshort

Brewster, NY

#17 Jul 13, 2009
mumbly peg wrote:
How happy they were, sitting around the campfires at night singing duda duda.they were all employed, had a roof over their heads, paid no taxes, and just picked a bale of cotton.
Yeah boss. They were freed and now.....well only half of what you said is still true!! Should have stayed on the plantation.
lifeisshort

Brewster, NY

#18 Jul 13, 2009
Has anyone seen the First Lady's new hairstyle?? What the heck is that?? Before, she looked human. Now she looks like sh_t!! She has less hair than her husband. Please, someone tell me she has a wig to cover up that abomination of a hairdo. Is this how the First Lady from my country presents herself to an African leader in trying to look like them? Outrageous behavior. I have no respect for her for lowering herself like that. What's next?
Glasnos

Apopka, FL

#19 Jul 13, 2009
The civil war was no picnic either... 700,000 dead, and a lot of property destroyed. Lincoln suspended habeas corpus, threw his political opposition in jail for several years, and defied the supreme court. How about reperations for the illegal invasion and killings?

bob

“Ron Paul is my president.”

Since: Jun 07

Trenton, N.J.

#20 Jul 13, 2009
Glasnos wrote:
The civil war was no picnic either... 700,000 dead, and a lot of property destroyed. Lincoln suspended habeas corpus, threw his political opposition in jail for several years, and defied the supreme court. How about reperations for the illegal invasion and killings?
odd that our current potus chose the bible of this country's first dictator to take his oath.
lifeisshort

Brewster, NY

#22 Jul 14, 2009
bob wrote:
<quoted text>
odd that our current potus chose the bible of this country's first dictator to take his oath.
It sort of makes you wonder what's on his true agenda doesn't it? Watch you back.
Semper Fi
L Jay

Bridgeport, CT

#23 Sep 3, 2009
For all you ignorant ppl, understand President Obama brings up different history moments, and that he rarely does on the slavery issue. Maybe we should stop talking about anything in the past...lets just take away all history classes of any kind, how about that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trumbull Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ganim, unions in concessions stare-down 1 hr America Gentleman... 1
News Bridgeport ranked 2nd richest U.S. city (Nov '15) 1 hr Will 3
News New bridges now open on SB Route 8/25 19 hr America Gentleman... 1
News Barnum Festival going out with a bang 19 hr America Gentleman... 7
News Pleasure Beach in Bridgeport 19 hr America Gentleman... 1
News Photos: Workers put last pieces on new Route 8/... Jun 20 Samuels Furnace Man 3
News Naked teens charged with having sex on McLevy H... (Aug '09) Jun 16 ffctguitar 173
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trumbull Mortgages