Some gay-rights foes claim they now are bullied

Jun 11, 2011 Full story: Contra Costa Times 12,364

In this Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2009 file picture, New York state Sen. Ruben Diaz, D-Bronx, right, speaks during a debate over same-sex marriage in the New York state Senate at the Capitol in Albany, N.Y. Diaz complained in May 2011 that he's received death threats because he opposes legislation to legalize same-sex marriage.

Full Story
Mother of Anne

Pompano Beach, FL

#13085 Feb 12, 2013
Anne Ominous wrote:
<quoted text>
morons with no argument scream "bigot"
Now Anne, what were you told about your screaming again?
Mother of Anne

Pompano Beach, FL

#13086 Feb 12, 2013
Anne Ominous wrote:
<quoted text>
Your feeble minded butthurt is showing again :)
Now Anne, what did we say about your filthy mouth already?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#13087 Feb 12, 2013
Uve wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, Oh but I am a Lesbian, just as much as you are...you are so consumerist and ignorant, I regret even communicating with you...
You can't stop talking now, I'm in the middle of writing a book,'The Taming of the Lesbian Shrew'.

Smirk smile.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#13088 Feb 12, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't stop talking now, I'm in the middle of writing a book,'The Taming of the Lesbian Shrew'.
Smirk smile.
great 600 pages of fruits and nuts, trees twigs and berries
BigNutsMcGee

Albany, NY

#13089 Feb 12, 2013
Anne Ominous wrote:
<quoted text>
Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind trying to express itself forcefully
:)
Bigotry is the effort of a feeble mind trying to allay irrational fears.

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#13090 Feb 12, 2013
Anne Ominous wrote:
<quoted text>
Your feeble minded butthurt is showing again :)
And you called my responses lame..LOL How do you know it hurts?

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#13092 Feb 17, 2013
Each individual is free to conceptualize marriage for themselves, any way they choose.

But legally, marriage it is a fundamental right of the individual.

The only eligibility requirement for fundamental rights is being human.

Reasonable restrictions may be made only when a compelling and legitimate governmental interest can withstand judicial scrutiny. Most can agree with the courts that reasonable restrictions include age, ability to demonstrate informed consent, and not being closely related or currently married. Within those limits, gay people qualify.

While churches may place any restrictions they choose on their own ceremonies, the government can only restrict fundamental rights when a compelling and legitimate justification can be demonstrated.

Procreation ability has never been a requirement for marriage, and therefore fails as a legitimate qualification. Yet even that irrational excuse for discrimination ignores the fact that gay people can and do reproduce, and are raising children either biologically related or adopted. Denial of equal treatment under the law provides nothing to opposite sex couple families. It only harms same sex couple families needlessly.

Gay couples are seeking to be treated equally under the laws currently in effect, in the remaining states that do not yet recognize their marriages, and by the federal government.

Neither tradition nor gender provides a legitimate governmental interest sufficient for denial of this fundamental right.

As Justice Kennedy wrote about the founding fathers: "They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress."

Laws that treat gay people less than equal to straight people are laws that only serve to oppress. It is time to overcome the prejudices we were taught as children and stop harming our neighbors and family members by passing laws that dehumanize and harm gay citizens through denial of the legal equality promised in the founding documents and required by the 5th and 14th amendments to the constitution.

Location hidden

#13095 Feb 18, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Each individual is free to conceptualize marriage for themselves, any way they choose.
I don't think your really thought about that assertion...

Most importantly, it makes the word marriage meaningless.

Second, it is not even legally true.

Third, you set your own prejudicial parameters without legitimate cause.

Location hidden

#13096 Feb 18, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Reasonable restrictions may be made only when a compelling and legitimate governmental interest can withstand judicial scrutiny. Most can agree with the courts that reasonable restrictions include age, ability to demonstrate informed consent, and not being closely related or currently married. Within those limits, gay people qualify.
While churches may place any restrictions they choose on their own ceremonies, the government can only restrict fundamental rights when a compelling and legitimate justification can be demonstrated.
Procreation ability has never been a requirement for marriage, and therefore fails as a legitimate qualification. Yet even that irrational excuse for discrimination ignores the fact that gay people can and do reproduce, and are raising children either biologically related or adopted. Denial of equal treatment under the law provides nothing to opposite sex couple families. It only harms same sex couple families needlessly.
Gay couples are seeking to be treated equally under the laws currently in effect, in the remaining states that do not yet recognize their marriages, and by the federal government.
Neither tradition nor gender provides a legitimate governmental interest sufficient for denial of this fundamental right.
As Justice Kennedy wrote about the founding fathers: "They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress."
Laws that treat gay people less than equal to straight people are laws that only serve to oppress. It is time to overcome the prejudices we were taught as children and stop harming our neighbors and family members by passing laws that dehumanize and harm gay citizens through denial of the legal equality promised in the founding documents and required by the 5th and 14th amendments to the constitution.
As to the rest of your post;

SCOTUS has disagreed numerous times, not on a moral basis ever.

The differences between marriage with/without kids and gay couples;
A apple tree bearing fruit.
A apple tree not bearing fruit for some reason.
A walnut tree who never bears any fruit wanting to be a apple tree.
A walnut tree hanging apples on it's branches pretending to be a apple tree.

The claim that if the government doesn't 'require' apple trees to bear fruit, then it is discrimination not to call walnut trees apple trees too is simply silly.

Marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.

Gay couples do not just fail in the primary essence of marriage, out of all relationships, they are the oxymoron of marriage.

Moreover, if you remove the element of procreation, you dumb down marriage to just a friendship. Hardly a cause for government interest, let alone selective discrimination.

Smile.
I Concur

Pompano Beach, FL

#13097 Feb 18, 2013
vincent andrew wrote:
Men belong with women and women belong with men..
End of story...
Are you the newly revamped unregistered zeldo whose entertaining but controversial comments disappeared from the forum for months?
Anne Ominous

Sayre, PA

#13098 Feb 18, 2013
BigNutsMcGee wrote:
<quoted text>
Bigotry is the effort
Anne Ominous

Sayre, PA

#13099 Feb 18, 2013
Not Done Babbling wrote:
marriage it is a fundamental right<snip>
Marriage is not a right, as I have proven again and again Babs.
Anne Ominous

Sayre, PA

#13100 Feb 18, 2013
Indeed, the right to controlling marriage lies in the hands of the States as per the Tenth Amendment.
Mother of Anne

Pompano Beach, FL

#13102 Feb 18, 2013
Anne Ominous wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Anne, you know what your psychiatrist said about your screaming.
Mother of Anne

Pompano Beach, FL

#13103 Feb 18, 2013
Anne Ominous wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is not a right, as I have proven again and again Babs.
Now Anne, you know what your lesbian lover told you about her rights.
Mother of Anne

Pompano Beach, FL

#13104 Feb 18, 2013
Anne Ominous wrote:
Indeed, the right to controlling marriage lies in the hands of the States as per the Tenth Amendment.
Now Anne, you know what your drag king said about your tenth drink.
Mother of Anne

Pompano Beach, FL

#13105 Feb 18, 2013
Anne Ominous wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, would you let your child "sleep over" in a home controlled by a pair of queers?
Now Anne, you know that your psychiatrist said about your not playing with a full deck, let alone a pair.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#13106 Feb 18, 2013
"Fourteen times the Supreme Court has stated that marriage is a fundamental right of all individuals."
(Constitutional attorneys Theodore B. Olson and David Boies)

The court has never required procreation for marriage, and has specifically ruled neither procreation nor the abiliy to even have sex is required for marriage to remain a fundamental right.(Turner v Salley)
Mother of Anne

Pompano Beach, FL

#13109 Feb 18, 2013
vincent andrew wrote:
<quoted text>
She must be a rainbow lezzy...
I have no problems with gays what two people do in the privacy of their own room is their business...
As long as they don't try to get with me then we're fine and i have no problem with them...
You people have your beliefs and i have mine..
I was raised to respect women and not hit them..
I was also raised by a mother and a father and that's what a family is supposed to consist of....
A MOTHER AND A FATHER!
Does that mean you're ready to do me?
CaptainWhizBang

Albany, NY

#13111 Feb 18, 2013
vincent andrew wrote:
LOL.
I'm married..
A lot of women find it hard to resist my italian body....
o

Which part do they find the most attractive: the thick hair that covers you like a black shag rug, the garlic breath, the enormous honker, or the amazing sartorial splendor of a wife-beater, clear socks, pinky ring and open shirt with gold chains?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Troy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Football pool 33 min Craig 1
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 52 min Bently 19,467
Man's body found along Hudson River outside Albany 20 hr RacistFireCrotchB... 1
Review: Labella Pizza (Nov '08) 22 hr Brian 5
Super meds 22 hr Help out 1
Exalgo (Jul '10) 23 hr mama d 144
Racist taunts earn suspensions at Albany High Fri Klaus666 1
Troy Dating
Find my Match

Troy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Troy News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Troy

Personal Finance