AColetta

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2010

There is an organized crime novel out called The Fall of South Bridge that is based on Troy. The author doesn't come out and say it, but you can tell by the places, streets, etc. that it is our city. Really awesome book too. I got it off amazon and found the authors sight on line, jimmybadavino.com
MikeB

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2010

I read this too. Very, very good book. Tells about some of Troy's history, the GI bridge collapse and ties in a mafia family running the streets of the city as well as an interesting family story too. There's a few great reviews on amazon about it. I would guess it is partially inspired by little italy and all of the stuff that happened in the late 80's early 90's. A friend of mine said he heard it is going to be a movie.
DanielC

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

I'm surprised we haven't seen more about this in the local media, esp. the record. Usually something like this peeks their interest. I have talked to a couple of people that read this and really liked it. I've been looking in Market Block and other stores but haven't seen it yet. I hear there is a lot of local scenery with albany, troy, vermont, etc. The main hub of the novel, south bridge, sounds to be south troy.
Lilo

Mechanicsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

DanielC wrote:
I'm surprised we haven't seen more about this in the local media, esp. the record. Usually something like this peeks their interest. I have talked to a couple of people that read this and really liked it. I've been looking in Market Block and other stores but haven't seen it yet. I hear there is a lot of local scenery with albany, troy, vermont, etc. The main hub of the novel, south bridge, sounds to be south troy.
Wow
Rob A

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

I bought this book at a book signing event the author was doing, great guy. He is writing another one about a grocery chain that is run by the mob, partially inspired by the old Grand Union. The South Bridge novel is so cool to read, especially if you're from Troy. Even though he changed the names of some of the streets or places, you can definitely picture where he is talking about. I remember seeing the crews of guys hanging out along Congress and Fourth when I was younger and wondered if they were part of some Family or Gang. The cool thing about the story is that it gets you thinking that downtown was more fun, and safe, when these guys were out watching the streets. Also, I think the city thrived more back then in part to their presence. Either way, it's cool to see Troy as the back drop to a really awesome novel. Rob Archuletta
JohnM

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2010

I read about this in the Times Union in November. It's like Godfather meets Goodfellas. It's pretty raw as far as language and a couple of murders, but overall the story and characters are really awesome. After a while you start trying to figure out who they are based on because I'm sure all of us have/had that relative or friend that was downtown involved in one thing or another. The story tells about a DEA take down so my guess would be that it is a reference to that whole pizza ring thing that happened in 89 or 90?
Tom S

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2010

This is really cool. I ordered a copy of this today off of the author's web site, jimmybadavino.com . There is a brief description of the book and a link to the store you can buy it from. I am very intrigued already as the story overview sounds extremely interesting. In the preview, the site states that it is inspired by events in Troy, NY. Anybody else read this or know anything about it?
Tom S

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2010

I ordered a copy of this today off of the author's web site, jimmybadavino.com . On there he says that it is inspired by events in Troy, NY, so right off the bat I am intrigued. The book description sounds really interesting too. Anybody else heard about this or read the book?
Tom S

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2010

Tom S wrote:
I ordered a copy of this today off of the author's web site, jimmybadavino.com . On there he says that it is inspired by events in Troy, NY, so right off the bat I am intrigued. The book description sounds really interesting too. Anybody else heard about this or read the book?
oops, I didn't realize the first one had posted.
Matt W

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2010

I just got done reading this and it is so awesome. When you read it you feel like you're riding along the city of Troy or watching it on the big screen. I really liked how the author let the story unfold too because it's not like most mob movies or stories you know of. The foreshadowing leads down unexpected paths and what you think is going to happen doesn't. I am also amazed that this novel isn't more publicized because it is that good! Matt W
Jason R

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Hey, I've been waiting for something like this since the sopranos ended. Nothing will compare to that show, but hopefully this book will fill the current mafia vacuum. Might even put Troy on the map again. If it ends up being a movie, I hope they film it right here, we could use the revenue.
JoshW

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2010

I saw this in Market Block bookstore the other day. It looked really good from the description and the pages I flipped through. I plan on getting it when I go back this weekend. My aunt has it and said it was quite the story!!!
DanC

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2010

DanielC wrote:
Alright, I did find this in Market Block and I just got done reading it. It was awesome too. Besides the local stuff that anybody that is from the area can pick out, its a great story. The writing is really good too. Just when you think someone is going to get knocked off, they don't, and when you don't think someone will, they do. They ending was just fantastic because the author takes what seems to be small things mentioned earlier in the novel and ties them into the grand finale to tie up the story. It's not like any other mafia story, but I hope they make it into a movie an film it in Troy. It would be as great as Goodfellas or The Godfather!!
Jeremy

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2010

I saw an article in the five questions part of The Troy Record on thursday about this. The interview with the author was pretty neat. I can't wait to read this book. I hope the next one out is based on this area too. Besides Obama coming, Troy gets little props. As far as The Fall of South Bridge, there's six reviews on Amazon that are all really good. I haven't gotten into anything good since Sopranos ended, so i'm really looking forward to this one.
AColetta

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2010

AColetta wrote:
There is an organized crime novel out called The Fall of South Bridge that is based on Troy. The author doesn't come out and say it, but you can tell by the places, streets, etc. that it is our city. Really awesome book too. I got it off amazon and found the authors sight on line, jimmybadavino.com
I heard that the author is doig a book signing for this on July 30th at Market Block in Troy. I'm bringing my copy to get it signed!!!
Tom H

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2010

This book rules. I think I can pick out who some of the people are he is talking about, but not sure. I was figuring I'd ask him at the book signing event, but he's probably sworn to secrecy or something. With a name like that and the details of the book, I bet he was in the mafia at one time. All kiddig aside, it is a great book and I am psyched that Troy is on the map. If it is a movie, I'll be first in line.
AColetta

Schuylerville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2010

Whew, I'm not sure I would go there with that, but I am anxious to meet him. I think I went to Troy High with him. I will be there for Troy night out on the 30th to get my book signed!!!!
john p

Wynantskill, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Yes, The story is based on the Pizza ring. All names have been changed. jimmy has interviewed the good guys in the Pizza Ring, But so much was changed in the book.
Rick D

Cohoes, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2013

I heard recently the author Jimmy wrote the screenplay for this and Execs at Universal are looking at it right now. Either them or Pervinco Studios or combo will be making this one!!! Can't wait. Anxious for a good flick with all of these remakes Hollywood is dumping on us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Rensselaer County was issued at July 23 at 2:20PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Troy Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Troy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••