ONE question for the new Sheriff

Posted in the Troy Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Granger

Saint Peters, MO

#1 Jan 21, 2013
According to the Constitution of the United States, the sheriff of any given county is THE chief law enforcer within that jurisdiction. Technically if the President of the United States were to come into any given county, the sheriff of that county could order the president to leave, or do whatever he/she deemed necessary. The Sheriff is sworn by oath to uphold the Constitution and laws of the State he/she is presiding in.

Question: Will you uphold any order/rule from Washington-federal source IF it goes contrary to the second amendment of the Constitution?

If anyone knows the new sheriff and can ask him this question or one of his deputies knows his stance, I'd appreciate knowing his take on this question. Thank you.
Wrong

Wentzville, MO

#2 Jan 21, 2013
Granger wrote:
According to the Constitution of the United States, the sheriff of any given county is THE chief law enforcer within that jurisdiction. Technically if the President of the United States were to come into any given county, the sheriff of that county could order the president to leave, or do whatever he/she deemed necessary. The Sheriff is sworn by oath to uphold the Constitution and laws of the State he/she is presiding in.
Question: Will you uphold any order/rule from Washington-federal source IF it goes contrary to the second amendment of the Constitution?
If anyone knows the new sheriff and can ask him this question or one of his deputies knows his stance, I'd appreciate knowing his take on this question. Thank you.
The Constitution does not say that. The County Sheriff is responsible for enforcing the laws as defined by the state and county to which they are elected or appointed. The Presidents Executive Orders, pertain only to Federal Laws. If the Federal law is in conflict with state law, the sheriff, by the state constitution, is required to uphold state law.
There is nothing in the US Constitution that gives the County Sheriff the jurisdiction or authority you state.
If you think that any Sheriff would be stupid enough to give orders to a Federal Authority that are not specifically defined by State Constitution, then you are drinking your own kool aid.
nowyouask

Saint Peters, MO

#3 Jan 21, 2013
Granger wrote:
You should have asked him this before he got elected. Where were you during the forums?
Citation please

Wentzville, MO

#4 Jan 21, 2013
Granger wrote:
Please cite the specific article of the constitution that supports your statement.
Granger

Saint Peters, MO

#5 Jan 21, 2013
I don't claim to be a constitutional scholar...so i'll send you to this site which is full of multiple references , rulings and lawspeak. The Constitutional Law Enforcement Association has literally dozens of case law/Constitutional cases which demonstrate the power of a sheriff within their jurisdiction. They cite multiple examples of sheriff's that have actually threatened jailing of EPA official's for trying to seize cattle, property within their county. They cite the Federalist paper 39 as the explanation of the sheriff's power. This was of course written by James Madison, the author of the Constitution, that was trying to point out that the sheriff is the only elected law enforcer within a given county, and as such as the highest power. I still want a plain answer to the question.
No scholar needed

Wentzville, MO

#6 Jan 22, 2013
Granger wrote:
I don't claim to be a constitutional scholar...so i'll send you to this site which is full of multiple references , rulings and lawspeak. The Constitutional Law Enforcement Association has literally dozens of case law/Constitutional cases which demonstrate the power of a sheriff within their jurisdiction. They cite multiple examples of sheriff's that have actually threatened jailing of EPA official's for trying to seize cattle, property within their county. They cite the Federalist paper 39 as the explanation of the sheriff's power. This was of course written by James Madison, the author of the Constitution, that was trying to point out that the sheriff is the only elected law enforcer within a given county, and as such as the highest power. I still want a plain answer to the question.
I reviewed the site that you speak of and have also read the U.S. Constitution cover to cover. The is no article or statute within the Constitution that specifically and expressly gives a County Sheriff authority over Federal Law. A County Sheriff is sworn to execute and uphold the laws of the state/county they are elected. If those laws are in conflict with Federal Law, the Sheriff is obligated to execute the State/County law and let the Courts decide who is right.
Federalist Paper 39, and the Federalist Papers in total is not a legal binding document. It was and is to this day, a political editorial, written by James Madison as you correctly described. It has no legal bearing or authority and is not legally binding in any way.
You may wish to validate/amend the statements made in your original post as there is no legal citation or proof that the assumption is correct.
Captain Reality

Saint Peters, MO

#7 Jan 22, 2013
Wow , You fellers' shure sound smart, hope that works out for ya! The Constitution dont mean didley to this sheriff or any other sheriff!
When patriotic America finally stands up to this corrupt government, a lot of law enforcement personel will chuk their badges in exchange for their lives as they are outnumbered 730ish to 1 nationwide ,and yes that includes the military personel.
Lets do this people.

Oh , and I'm not some nutbag doomsday freak, just a common everyday redneck ,one of the 730 afomentioned patriots.,and by the way -I dont give a shit about spelling or punctuation so dont waste yer time pissin about that.
Citation please

Wentzville, MO

#8 Jan 22, 2013
Captain Reality wrote:
Wow , You fellers' shure sound smart, hope that works out for ya! The Constitution dont mean didley to this sheriff or any other sheriff!
When patriotic America finally stands up to this corrupt government, a lot of law enforcement personel will chuk their badges in exchange for their lives as they are outnumbered 730ish to 1 nationwide ,and yes that includes the military personel.
Lets do this people.
Oh , and I'm not some nutbag doomsday freak, just a common everyday redneck ,one of the 730 afomentioned patriots.,and by the way -I dont give a shit about spelling or punctuation so dont waste yer time pissin about that.
Have some more moonshine Fred, rest assured that no one will bother you out of choice or necessity.
Granger

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#9 Jan 23, 2013
I still would like a law enforcement officer associated with this new sheriff to come forward and answer the original question. No one is saying that he is going to violate any federal power. All we want to know is if he would honor his oath to the Constitution and State law if it CONTRADICTS some new federal ruling that is in opposition to those.
Captain Reality

Saint Peters, MO

#10 Jan 23, 2013
Still a good question ,guess their afrad to answer --typical grunt mentality---sheeple sheriff
Home Town Chick

United States

#11 Jan 23, 2013

If this is such an important question that you want to ask Sheriff Cottle, why dont you contact him by calling him or emailing him on the Lincoln County Sheriffs dept website?
I would think that as a citizen of Lincoln County that you would want the sheriff busy doing the job he was elected to do instead of wasting his time on this site.

Lets give the guy a break-Afterall its only been three weeks I'm sure there is alot to clean up and hopefully his focus is on getting more patrolmen on the road and less drugs on the streets! The best of luck to Sheriff Cottle!
Captain Reality

Saint Peters, MO

#12 Jan 24, 2013
Ohyeah! just what we need MORE patrolmen,for what!
Horatio

Saint Peters, MO

#13 Feb 5, 2013
Front page of today's Post Dispatch had a large article about how sheriffs across the country are sworn by oath to protect the Constitution and are not going to honor any 'executive' order which violates the tenets of the second amendment. The Sheriff's that hold to this line of thought have become wildly popular in rural areas. Those that are more 'federally inclined' are in danger of upsetting large groups in their voting districts.
does anyone know

Saint Peters, MO

#14 Feb 5, 2013
does anyone know about a detective mauzy (not sure if this is the correct spelling)in lincoln county?
Give me a break

Troy, MO

#15 Feb 5, 2013
does anyone know wrote:
does anyone know about a detective mauzy (not sure if this is the correct spelling)in lincoln county?
Yes he is very dirty, along with his buddy Ryan McCarrick.
does anyone know

Saint Peters, MO

#16 Feb 5, 2013
Give me a break wrote:
<quoted text>Yes he is very dirty, along with his buddy Ryan McCarrick.
Thank you for the reply. Just wondering, why do you think he hasnt been mentioned on different threads like the other crooks? Is there any documented info on this det. that you are aware of? I never heard of the other name mentioned.
Give me a break

Troy, MO

#17 Feb 6, 2013
does anyone know wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for the reply. Just wondering, why do you think he hasnt been mentioned on different threads like the other crooks? Is there any documented info on this det. that you are aware of? I never heard of the other name mentioned.
I dont know of any documented info but I do infact no that both are dirty cops. Hopefully someone will expose them and they will get what they deserve.
yep

Saint Peters, MO

#18 Feb 6, 2013
does anyone know wrote:
I've heard that name before
does anyone know

Saint Peters, MO

#19 Feb 6, 2013
I cannot understand how there can be so much corruption in one county on a continuing basis. Who do you turn to in times of need for those whom you are supposed to be able to count on if you cannot depend on them? I have some info. on this det. but not sure what to think because i dont know who he is so i am gonna do some of my own detective work...
just do it

United States

#20 Feb 6, 2013
Is it true we have over 25 deputies on the road at all times? We as citizens of this county all know everything about the law, I say we take care of all the counties problems ourselves. It has been proven Lincoln County has some of the smartest people in the nation on Criminal Investigation

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Troy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
County Commissioner Matt Bass (Jan '10) 3 hr Answer Please 227
Commission Ethics 10 hr Ding dong ding 32
Russ Faria Case Remanded Back to Lincoln County Sat Bring it 8
Hwy U Business (Jun '10) Fri cricket 10 10
Secret Fri wanna no 1
Presiding Circuit Judge Wesley Dalton Mar 27 Harry 4
Misconduct by the Prosecuting Attorney Mar 27 One more time 102
Troy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web