La Plata, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2009

Judged:

Is anyone else unhappy with LCSD? I have two school-age children that attend there and have not been happy for quite sometime with how things are coordinated (or not so) there.
The amount of homework is unGodly! I didn't have the amount of homework they do until I was a sophmore in highschool, and neither are in HS. I spend plenty of money assuring that my children have everything on their 'supply list' at the start of the year yet I continually receive letters home asking for more; more supplies, money for an assignment book, a shop fee, a class tshirt, & so on & so on! Last year, I was surprised to find out that in grade school, the childrens supplies are collected on day 1 and placed in a 'community' bucket for all the students to share?? Why? Why can't my son have the pencils I purchased for him - & then I get a letter a month later bc the class is short on pencils? I'm sorry - why should I supply little Bobby with pencils when I have already supplied the ones I was asked to, which should have been enough to last my child through college, but I digress.
Why have I received calls from school regarding my son's behavior (which doesn't happen often, but has happened, only to find out that the parent(s) of the other child, also involved in whatever the incident may be, have not and will not be contacted. When did School Districts stop allowing these children to be children? I understand that teachers need to maintain order over a room full of 30- 12 year olds, but is it realistic to think that none of them are ever going to talk to one another or pass a note?? We did, and at most the teacher would take & read our note allowed.
Has anyone else noticed the amount of paperwork they send home at the first of the year, you know - tucked in between all the school nurse forms and address change information, there's that novel of subject matter that we, as parents, are supposed to review, learn & study with our children? What the HE** are they doing at school for 8 hours?
I won't even get into their transportation department!!
I could go on all day, & I'm sure I'll think of more as the posts continue!

Let me clarify first that my child is a normally developed(ing) 13 year old boy.
I appreciate our teachers & their choice to dedicate their lives to educating our children, but something in this district is 'a miss'!!
...& if I could afford to move, I likely would,(or at least opt for a private education)- so please don't go there:)-Thanks in advance.
I am sure that I am not the only parent that is disappointed, upset, a little angry - that this district handles things in the manner in which it does.
Any ideas?
frogluvrofmen

Troy, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2009

Judged:

I happen to know that there is an elementary age child who is also a proven sexual offender in the school district and the district has done NOTHING about it. What the hell?
BFastChica

La Plata, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2009

Judged:

Just for the record, the calls regarding his behavior that were aforementioned were due to; 'excessive talking in class' & sommersaults in the bathroom stall - he wasn't slangin' dope, cyber bullying, carrying a weapon, fighting, or anything else of that nature!!
BFastChica

La Plata, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2009

Judged:

frogluvrofmen wrote:
I happen to know that there is an elementary age child who is also a proven sexual offender in the school district and the district has done NOTHING about it. What the hell?
That truly does not surprise me!
Shouldn't it be the parent's right to determine whether or not their child be subject to come into contact with another child - with THAT nature of a problem??- or at LEAST for the district to allow awareness of such? Not their first display of poor judgement & sadly, I'm sure, not their last either.
New to Troy

Harrison, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

I attended the last School Board Meeting. As a taxpayer and a voter that wants to stay informed, I wanted the Minutes of the School Board Meeting posted on their website. I can tell you that some members of the current Board do not like having a citizen question them in any way shape or form. The Board President fled from the meeting. What was more shocking was some of the comments from Board Members. Like - The written minutes are so vague that no one will be able to understand what we're doing. They seemed to like that fact. When I stated that they should be more detailed, they didn't like that.

It doesn't surprise me that many things are ignored by this adminstration. But I do know, if you attend a meeting and turn up the heat they will do whats right. They do not like being put under a mircoscope or infront of a spot light. As with all elected officials they need to be reminded from time to time, who they work for.

Attend a meeting every chance you get. The School Adminstrators DO - I think they are required too.
karen

Troy, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

A couple of weeks ago, Obama proposed that children go to school an extra 3 hours a day plus opening schools on Saturday[as a safe haven], and only getting 1 month a year off for vacation. If you think the cost of education is high now, imagine the cost of running a school for 11 months, 6 days a week.
BFastChica

Bonnots Mill, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

karen wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, Obama proposed that children go to school an extra 3 hours a day plus opening schools on Saturday[as a safe haven], and only getting 1 month a year off for vacation. If you think the cost of education is high now, imagine the cost of running a school for 11 months, 6 days a week.
The one & only time I have fully supported a decision by this district was when they opted out of airing Obama's speech to our children; however, it is my understanding that they only did so because they didn't, or couldn't, facilitate a means of providing it to all the district's students as it aired live?!
The Dawg

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

The amount of homework is ungodly? I hardly have any homework, in fact that may mean we don't give enough homework. As for the school board, vote them off in the next election if your dissatisfied. Do you have proof of this sex offender in our school forgluvrofmen? I would like to hear it before the accusation.
OPINION

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

In response to bfastchica, which by the way...your name pretty much sums it up.

It's parents like you who make me sick and almost ashamed to reside in the same district as you. You are never happy with anything...God forbid you have to pay for something for your child's school, God forbid you have to discipline your child. All your damn whining could obviously be put to better use.
You know what I hate about the Lincoln County School District? The parents! They bitch and whine about anything and everything. They don't participate as they should with their child's education, their child's school activities...it is just unreal. These parents make it extremely hard for the Teacher's by being unwilling participants in their own children's education and you should be ashamed of yourselves. People wonder what is wrong with today's youth...Dear God just take a look at the parent's of today's youth and you will find the answer. I have two kids in grade school within the Lincoln County School District. I can honestly say that I LOVE each and every Teacher that my children have been blessed to have. How is that you and so many other Parent's in Lincoln County can have such a different opinion than I? Maybe it's because I am involved to the fullest extent in my children's education, maybe it's because I discipline my children and therefore they do know the difference between right and wrong. Maybe it's because I give them expectations and they strive to be their best because I care enough to want them to. And the problem here is that too many of the parent's in this district do not. So you keep blaming the school district for your problems. You will solve nothing and it's a damn shame because your children will be the only one's suffering.
OPINION

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

BFastChica wrote:
<quoted text>
The one & only time I have fully supported a decision by this district was when they opted out of airing Obama's speech to our children; however, it is my understanding that they only did so because they didn't, or couldn't, facilitate a means of providing it to all the district's students as it aired live?!
and there you have it. wow. you are pure stupid.
someoneinvolved

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

What kind of proof do you need? And why do you think you need the proof?
OPINION

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

BFastChica wrote:
Just for the record, the calls regarding his behavior that were aforementioned were due to; 'excessive talking in class' & sommersaults in the bathroom stall - he wasn't slangin' dope, cyber bullying, carrying a weapon, fighting, or anything else of that nature!!
wow you just keep confirming your stupidity. Your child was disrupting the class, he was doing something inappropriate in the bathroom. Even my 4th and 1st grader would know that is wrong. But since he was not doing something "extreme"...you don't have a problem with it????? Because kids need to be kids???? Get a clue woman and be a Mother. When parents like you give your children the impression that their "small" actions don't matter...you give them the impression that they can get by with more. And you just don't get it.
Only Work 9 Months

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

karen wrote:
Well, teachers only work 9 months a year for their 12 month salary. So, if they have to work 2 extra months their labor will be free. The extra 3 hours per day and Saturday could be avoided if the teachers don't take so many teacher-meeting every school year. Our educational system needs to catch up to modern times and needs. A private company cannot afford to pay their employees for 12 months and only work them for 9 months. Todays teachers need to be faster, better, and cheaper. That is exactly what is required from the rest of us in our employment....more work with less pay.
Outdoor

Troy, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

Only Work 9 Months, you HAVE to be kidding me!!! The Teacher's Union will NEVER allow that to happen!! Guarantee it!!! If the president gets his way...just sit back and watch your school taxes go through the roof!!! Teachers can't be expected to work THAT long without compensation. That would be a whole YEAR of work!!!!
Bummer

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

Teachers do 12 months worth of work in 9 months!!!! You apparently don't have a clue what it takes to be a teacher and what is truly involved. My wife is a teacher and she spends 2 to 3 hours every night grading papers and preparing for upcoming lessons. Each and every year the state puts more and more requirements on the various things teachers have to do. Teaching is not just standing in the classroom every day teaching your children. I would venture to say that those of you who complain about teachers wouldn't last a day in their shoes.

If you wanted your summers off, you should have become a teacher as well I guess. Until you understand what teaching truly involves, you really should keep your mouth shut!
OPINION

Cuba, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

Bummer wrote:
Teachers do 12 months worth of work in 9 months!!!! You apparently don't have a clue what it takes to be a teacher and what is truly involved. My wife is a teacher and she spends 2 to 3 hours every night grading papers and preparing for upcoming lessons. Each and every year the state puts more and more requirements on the various things teachers have to do. Teaching is not just standing in the classroom every day teaching your children. I would venture to say that those of you who complain about teachers wouldn't last a day in their shoes.
If you wanted your summers off, you should have become a teacher as well I guess. Until you understand what teaching truly involves, you really should keep your mouth shut!
I could not agree with you more.
amazed

Lake Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

bummer I agree with you. what idiot would think our teachers are being paid on a scale for 12 months thats just crap. Especially having to put up with parents that don't want to take the time to teach their own children morals and how to respect others.
BFastChica

Bonnots Mill, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

OPINION wrote:
It's parents like you who make me sick and almost ashamed to reside in the same district as you. You are never happy with anything...God forbid you have to pay for something for your child's school, God forbid you have to discipline your child. All your damn whining could obviously be put to better use.
You know what I hate about the Lincoln County School District? The parents! They bitch and whine about anything and everything. They don't participate as they should with their child's education, their child's school activities...it is just unreal. These parents make it extremely hard for the Teacher's by being unwilling participants in their own children's education and you should be ashamed of yourselves. People wonder what is wrong with today's youth...Dear God just take a look at the parent's of today's youth and you will find the answer. I have two kids in grade school within the Lincoln County School District. I can honestly say that I LOVE each and every Teacher that my children have been blessed to have. How is that you and so many other Parent's in Lincoln County can have such a different opinion than I? Maybe it's because I am involved to the fullest extent in my children's education, maybe it's because I discipline my children and therefore they do know the difference between right and wrong. Maybe it's because I give them expectations and they strive to be their best because I care enough to want them to. And the problem here is that too many of the parent's in this district do not. So you keep blaming the school district for your problems. You will solve nothing and it's a damn shame because your children will be the only one's suffering.
I am very happy as to the way other districts perform & manage!!
You know what makes me sick? People who are as off base as you are! First of all, I actually agree with your comment with regards to parents being a huge problem in relation to their children & their behavior - that said, you don't know me, you have no idea what kind of parent I am, how involved I may be, or how (which I most certainly do) I discipline my children. Let me clarify a few things for you as you you're very obviously not getting it:
1. I have no problem with paying for the things my child needs for class. I do have a problem with supplying other children's supplies! Why are 'school tshirts' a requirement? I don't remember having to have one? I feel that some of the things they request go above and beyond those things necessary for teaching and/or learning. Why can't my child use one of the 20 notebooks I purchased for his use as his assignment book; why do I have to purchase a seperate,'school issued' assignment book?? All this, & I haven't mentioned that my tax dollars do go to fund other school programs - Obviously I am paying for my child's education but at what point to we as parents or as a community say enough is enough?
2. I do participate in my child's education! Aside from helping him with the overbearing load of homework he has on a daily basis, I have voluteered as a room parent, sent in additional monies & treats for their parties, I contact my children's teacher's on a regular basis (aside from the PTC) just to see how they are doing, they have participated in afterschool recreational & educational programs which support both the district and my child's education. If you wish to place a label on some parents as neglecting their child's education, you may do so & in several cases I'd probably have to agree - but do NOT point your finger at me as you have NO idea what extra steps I take to ensure that I am a part of & supporting of their education, whether I care for the district or not.
BFastChica

Bonnots Mill, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

OPINION wrote:
3. I do discipline my children! Moreso than most parents I know!! My children know that for every action there is most certainly a reaction; For every rule you break - there is a fair punishment. I teach them to be responsible for themselves! If they choose to act poorly then they had better be prepared to face the consequences! They lose privelages, they lose allowances, they lose use of those things they enjoy most - not to mention I'm not a 'time out' parent so if the behavior is extreme enough, they will get a good swat on the rear!(I have a feeling you're against that too??!) Again, while I am well aware that there are parents that do not discipline their children- please do not saddle me in with that lot of people as I take every effort to ensure my children know that rules exist for a reason!
I appreciate your opinion and I am glad that you are happy with LCSD, but I am not.
I will say that you have displayed very poor judgement by posting such rude remarks to and about a fellow parent that you do not even know!!
I teach my children that you do not judge people, that is not your job. I teach them that everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of whether or not everyone agrees, and they are taught how to respectfully address other people!- Perhaps you could take a lesson from them!
BFastChica

Bonnots Mill, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2009

Judged:

The Dawg wrote:
The amount of homework is ungodly? I hardly have any homework, in fact that may mean we don't give enough homework. As for the school board, vote them off in the next election if your dissatisfied. Do you have proof of this sex offender in our school forgluvrofmen? I would like to hear it before the accusation.
Okay; You 'hardly have any homework'- & that may mean that 'we' don't give enough homework??
Are you a student or an educator?
And congratulations to you for 'harldy having any homework', as I am 100% positive that my children are not the only children with what seems like 'never-ending' stacks of it!
As for the school board, I intend to look into it:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Troy Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Troy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Troy News, Events & Info