United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

So today we started our Christmas Shopping. Seven hours later, we spent not quite $1200. All that money spent at

Target, Sam's and Michaels in Wentzville.

Charming Charlies and Old Navy in LkStL.

Multiple shops and stores at Mid Rivers Mall.

At an avg sales tax of $.08 per dollar, we generated about $96. That is revenue that was not generated in Lin Co and lost to other communities.

Now imagine 100 people doing the very same thing. That would be $9600 in lost tax revenue to other communities .that is 8% of $120K.
Sad

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

No Mo Money wrote:
So today we started our Christmas Shopping. Seven hours later, we spent not quite $1200. All that money spent at
At an avg sales tax of $.08 per dollar, we generated about $96. That is revenue that was not generated in Lin Co and lost to other communities.
Now imagine 100 people doing the very same thing. That would be $9600 in lost tax revenue to other communities .that is 8% of $120K.
Every single time I look at the posts in this forum, regardless of the subject, someone is bashing Lincoln County for numerous things. I'm pretty sure it's only a handful of residents since there are only 30-50 users on here at any given time. Though I shop in Lincoln County and also in St. Charles and St. Louis county, I prefer to shop locally to help my community stay viable. I also enjoy being with my fellow residents, regardless of their income or stature in life. It's so sad that the small minority of posters on this site cannot do the same.
As has been stated so many times, if you don't like it - LEAVE! No need to remind everyone that it's you who are solely supporting this County.
Me Too

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Last night, after dining in Wentzville,$70, we went Christmas shopping at Kohl's, Target, Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Total bill for the evening , about $970. Not one dime spent in Linco. By the way, the people next to us at the restaurant were from Troy too...the TBHS shirts they wore were dead give aways.
Contrary to what some folks say, more and more people are spending their money outside of Lincoln County because of the superior selection, better prices, convenience, cleanliness and just plain better experience.

I'll continue to live here, but I won't spend my money here. Troy has nothing to offer that I can't get cheaper, better somewhere else. And I could give a rats ass if the locals suffer....
Oh yeah

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Let's see......next time I need a new hog trough for the formal living room of my $200k house, I'll just run in to Orcheln or MFA or Tractor Supply. Oh wait, out of 54,000 residents, only 630 are farmers. So where do the other 53,000 shop? Well, a third of them are kids, so they don't have income. That leaves 26,500. And half of those are below the median income, so take away those folks. So about 13,000 income earners are making at least $56k a year or better....and they are spending there money somewhere else, not Lincoln County..

Folks, you better wake up and realize that you about out of time. You need new schools, police, fire, ambulance and infrastructure to survive....and tax revenue to pay for it. You need to have a compelling reason to spend money here and you don't have....only a desperate plea.
Total Denial

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Me Too wrote:
Last night, after dining in Wentzville,$70, we went Christmas shopping at Kohl's, Target, Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Total bill for the evening , about $970. Not one dime spent in Linco. By the way, the people next to us at the restaurant were from Troy too...the TBHS shirts they wore were dead give aways.
Contrary to what some folks say, more and more people are spending their money outside of Lincoln County because of the superior selection, better prices, convenience, cleanliness and just plain better experience.
I'll continue to live here, but I won't spend my money here. Troy has nothing to offer that I can't get cheaper, better somewhere else. And I could give a rats ass if the locals suffer....
Someone disagreed with this post. I would like to know exactly what are you disagreeing about?
That more and people are spending their discretionary money outside on Lincoln County?
That the selection etc. is better somewhere else?
That Troy has anything to offer that can't be purchased somewhere else cheaper?

Like has been demonstrated time and again, the locals are in denial...and soon will be faced with a magistrate that really doesn't care about your preferences.
Facts

Foristell, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

It should be obvious what the OP was saying.

First, Lincoln County does not have the choice of stores for a "modern" family. Wally World, Dollar General and Hechler's just do not cut it. The county HAD the chance to have some stores like those in Wentzville, see Troy TDD, but that opportunity has long since passed.

Since the retail choices do not exist, the county loses, let me repeat that for the slow learners in the group LOSES, large amounts of taxable sales. This means the county and its municipalities lose desparately needed revenue.

2013 is another reassessment year and baring ANY miracle, the county's assessed value will continue to slide backwards.
Funny Things

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

What would you expect to happen in a county that elects and re-elects social misfits, drug addicts, thieves, immoral and incompetent attorneys, judges that violate basic rights, and unethical people to office?

When you put white trash in charge, well what did you expect?
Imagine

Wentzville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Now imagine all those stores in Troy with "Out Of Business" signs on the doors because the local demographics do not yet point to the sustainability of a major retail development like along Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Hwy K, or Pearce Blvd.

And while we're on the subject of Pearce Blvd lets go back just 10 years and ask ourselves where were the residents of Wentzville shopping?(hint: Hwy K).
No Mo Money wrote:
Two Words

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Imagine wrote:
Now imagine all those stores in Troy with "Out Of Business" signs on the doors because the local demographics do not yet point to the sustainability of a major retail development like along Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Hwy K, or Pearce Blvd.
And while we're on the subject of Pearce Blvd lets go back just 10 years and ask ourselves where were the residents of Wentzville shopping?(hint: Hwy K).
<quoted text>
Two simple words here sum it up........

Troy TIF

Sorry! Better luck next time. Next contestant please!
Imagine

Wentzville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Two Words wrote:
<quoted text>
Two simple words here sum it up........
Troy TIF
Sorry! Better luck next time. Next contestant please!
Is your ascertion that if the Troy TIF been implemented then Hwy 47 would have a retail development sector that would rival Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Hwy K, or Pearce Blvd today even without the demographics to support it?

Do you or anyone else want to have a meaningful discussion on the topic, or will it simply be more ignorant comments like yours above?
Taco Town Tom

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

TIF sucks, it's corporate welfare and the government selects who gets it. They should outlaw TIF everywhere, let the company make the gamble not the taxpayer.
Tall Boy

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

No Mo Money wrote:
The state gets most of the tax. The local tax is A lot less.
Short Woman

Troy, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Tall Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
The state gets most of the tax. The local tax is A lot less.
That may be true,,but even less is better than nothing,,i buy basics and staples in Troy,, but there are many things Troy just not have and will not find here.
Two Words

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Imagine wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your ascertion that if the Troy TIF been implemented then Hwy 47 would have a retail development sector that would rival Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Hwy K, or Pearce Blvd today even without the demographics to support it?
Do you or anyone else want to have a meaningful discussion on the topic, or will it simply be more ignorant comments like yours above?
Would you rather have 50% of something from a TIF or a 100% of nothing as we do now?

How much sales tax revenue is currently being generated by the empty land behind SuperSuper 8?

What has happened to this county's assessed valuation?

Have you viewed the sales tax figures from the state DOR for this area from 2006-2011?

The county's budget had a $661K deficit this past year. You can see that on their website.

You do know that the TIF statute is the law in Missouri, right? As long as it remains in place, Lincoln County will continue to get its azz kicked by other communities.

All of the questions from above have their origins from this community's lack of commercial and retail development. This community is sliding backwards economically and all I see here is excuses.
Ironic Ads

Foristell, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Why is it that the LCJ advertises for ALL the major "big box" stores in Wentzville? Every week there is at least one or two inserts from Lowe's, Dierbergs or Michaels. In my mailbox I get fliers from Schnucks and restaurants like Steak-N-Shake.

All of these merchants are using the local newspaper to take business and revenue AWAY from our area. Why has no one called out the LCJ about this? Could it be that this advertising is partly to blame for what is happening?
Ignorance Is

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Imagine wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what's ignorant?

A community that fails to provide for its kids.

A community that elects drug addicts and uneducated individuals to public office.

A community that has NO problem solving ability.

A community that fails to prepare or plan for the future.

Most ignorant of all? A community in denial about its current situation and the challenges it faces.
Jounalistic Courage

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Ironic Ads wrote:
Why is it that the LCJ advertises for ALL the major "big box" stores in Wentzville? Every week there is at least one or two inserts from Lowe's, Dierbergs or Michaels. In my mailbox I get fliers from Schnucks and restaurants like Steak-N-Shake.
All of these merchants are using the local newspaper to take business and revenue AWAY from our area. Why has no one called out the LCJ about this? Could it be that this advertising is partly to blame for what is happening?
So, the LCJ won't run a story about trailer trash parks driving down valuation but will be happy to distribute advertising flyers to encourage spending outside of Lincoln County. Another poster brought this up on another thread before....and now you can see it is true. Why are you people so damn stupid?
Still Waiting

Foristell, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Imagine wrote:
<quoted text>

Still waiting for.you to answer the.qustions posed. Don't worry. They will appear, and not so nicely I might add, during the 2014 election cycle.
Imagine

Wentzville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Still Waiting wrote:
<quoted text>
Still waiting for.you to answer the.qustions posed. Don't worry. They will appear, and not so nicely I might add, during the 2014 election cycle.
Umm ok I'll answer you directly as well as summarize my response to all those above who want to know if I agree that increased tax revenue and higher paying jobs are desirable, and that investment in the community is good.

My answer is YES it is desirable and good. What a dumb question though. Who would not agree with that?

Anyway back on topic. I find it perplexing that nobody wants to answer my question directly. Oh there have been LOTS of paragraph long responses accusing me of various things I never said or asking me to agree with things that I never disagreed with to begin with.

I asked if you and the rest believe Hwy 47 would be able to sustain a retail & commercial sector such as that along Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Hwy K, or Pearc Blvd as you all seem to like to compare Troy to all the time.

So, I have given up on waiting for your answer, and I'm done with this topic as well. Enjoy slapping each other on the back and giving each other virtual high five's because all you'll do is dance around the question and never answer it anyway.

So enjoy getting in the last word.
Imagine

Wentzville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Judged:

Oh and of course I forgot to mention the ignorant immature comments that are directed toward anyone attempting to have a meaningful conversation here. Par for the course I suppose, and not surprising.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Troy Forum right now

Search the Troy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
No on the Farm Amendment 28 min Jennifer 8
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 52 min Muslim in the White House 95,815
Pietzman Proves Lincoln County Stereotype 56 min Well 4
marred politicians 7 hr Yikes 10
Auditor's Letter Stands 8 hr numbnuts 24
Cancer rates in Bodine workers 22 hr Maybe 7
Lincoln County Commission Wed fugly 91
•••
•••
•••
•••

Troy Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000