Next Last
chap

Fairfield, TX

#164 Mar 23, 2013
2000 dollars MUD tax alone
Retiring soon

Pasadena, TX

#165 May 17, 2013
This is from the opinion of the appellate judge: WE reverse the judgment of the trial court and remand the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion.

I agree with the Court's disposition, and its reticence to rewrite the homeowners' contracts or create a new fiduciary duty to accommodate them.   But because of the potential abuse in the type of development plan used in this case, I would leave some room to address these questions further in the future, and decide this case on another ground.

The homeowners here are being taxed without representation.   The privately-owned corporation that manages the golf club has the right to assess any maintenance charge it chooses, and payment is secured by a vendor's lien on each home that may be foreclosed if the charge is not paid.   The homeowners never agreed to this;  the developer made the arrangement on behalf of the association while he still controlled it.   Perhaps the homeowners might have foreseen the possibility from the deed restrictions, but only if they were lawyers trained to assume that every contractual clause would be taken to its most logically horrible conclusion.
t ruled against he POA:
Living in peace

Houston, TX

#166 May 21, 2013
STEVE wrote:
what is the PROBLEMS with living in westwood shores, have looked at homes there, and there certainly are LOTS of them for sale. there has to be some problems for that many to be for sale. tell me about living in westwood shores, either good or bad.
I have lived in Westwood Shores for 3 years now, and I love it. There are no issues in living there. If you are a toothless hilbilly that wants to have livestock in your yard, then it is not for you. It is a retirement community, so it is mostly older white people and it is VERY VERY VERY quiet. Fishing is great on the neighborhood lakes and of course Livingston is good fishing. Yes there are fees, but they cover the cost of all the golf you can play. The trail fee is a little out of hand, but it can't all be perfect. Yes there are some restrictions... But who wants to live in a neighborhood with a bunch of trashy people who bring thr property value down? I was born and raised in Harris County, and it is no more or less expensive than that. 3 words people? Location location location. It very much reminds of a neighborhood from the 70's where you can let your kids go and have fun without worry! There is Zero crime. I could leave my wallet laying in the driveway for a month with money fanning out of it. It is like any country town, some of the things you have in the big city are a little further down the road, but I thought that was the awesome part of living in the country? There are a lot of houses for sale because the housing market crashed, the economy got bad and people started selling there weekend homes and retirement homes. No hidden cost or troubles, just peace and quiet. For the people yakking about real freedom, stay where you are with your garbage in your yard...
What

Crockett, TX

#167 May 21, 2013
You really don't know what you're talking about. The problems in WWS have been going on a lot longer than 3 years and have nothing to do with the housing market crash. Go ahead and leave that wallet full of money outside, though - too, too funny!
Kathy

United States

#168 Jun 19, 2013
Best place I have ever lived
Homeowners own the golf course now
And things are really shaping up
Low Golf prices
Security gate keeps others out
Previous owners leaving due to health
So lots of nice places here
Most condos renovated
The BEST PEOPLE EVER
Great camping, pools, tennis courts
You get what you pay for
Lots of bang for the buck
Lots of activities
Retiring soon

Pasadena, TX

#169 Jul 6, 2013
Kathy wrote:
Best place I have ever lived
Homeowners own the golf course now
And things are really shaping up
Low Golf prices
Security gate keeps others out
Previous owners leaving due to health
So lots of nice places here
Most condos renovated
The BEST PEOPLE EVER
Great camping, pools, tennis courts
You get what you pay for
Lots of bang for the buck
Lots of activities
You say POA owns country club now. Can you tell me anything about how that works? Do homeowners have a vote on rate increases or any input into decisions about operating issues? We have been planning to retire there for years but now that we are serious about purchasing a home there I have read some troubling things about WWS. 60 % homeowners in default etc.
guen

Dawsonville, GA

#170 Jul 23, 2013
we own property in westwood and the only reason we havent moved is beause no one wants to buy, there is little to no privacy, you live rite on top of your neighbor, the guard shack documents every visitor you have, if your grass is over 4 inches tall the maintance men cut it and charge you 100.00 +, you pay for everything, and the ones that dont pay use the facilities and run them to shit.
its just rediculous. i hate it here wish we would have never bought property.
??

United States

#171 Jul 23, 2013
guen wrote:
we own property in westwood and the only reason we havent moved is beause no one wants to buy, there is little to no privacy, you live rite on top of your neighbor, the guard shack documents every visitor you have, if your grass is over 4 inches tall the maintance men cut it and charge you 100.00 +, you pay for everything, and the ones that dont pay use the facilities and run them to shit.
its just rediculous. i hate it here wish we would have never bought property.
I wish you wouldn't have either!'
dale

Houston, TX

#172 Nov 13, 2013
my parents died about 1 year ago. Prior to that they stopped paying the HOA and Taxes and wanted the HOA or County to take back the lot as collateral. No such luck. They continue to pile on fees and taxe and penalties. We are willing to pay off the debt owed now, but do not want any part of the property after that. Is their anyone that would want a lot free after debt brought current?
Holly

United States

#173 Nov 29, 2013
dale wrote:
my parents died about 1 year ago. Prior to that they stopped paying the HOA and Taxes and wanted the HOA or County to take back the lot as collateral. No such luck. They continue to pile on fees and taxe and penalties. We are willing to pay off the debt owed now, but do not want any part of the property after that. Is their anyone that would want a lot free after debt brought current?
Dale, which lot? If it is the empty lot next to ours we will take it. My husband would probably be willing to help with fees. You can email me at colormeholly(at) hotmail.com
Candie girl

Fairfield, TX

#174 Dec 4, 2013
Beemer wrote:
<quoted text>
Can it get any more complicated? We looked at property out there several years ago, so I know where you're talking about. On my tax statement it clearly indicates which is property taxes, school taxes, hospital. I assume you've checked all this out... It just doesn't seem right that you would be paying PROPERTY taxes to Trinity county when you're property is in Walker county. Has to be that what you are paying in Trinity county is the SCHOOL taxes - unless someone has made a mistake?
I too, have had property on barneswitch and I had to pay both trinity & walker county, the reason being is the kids go to trinity schools, but if u have to call 911, u have to wait all the way until an ambulance comes from walker county, this is how my aunt died because she stopped breathing and it took the ambulance between 30-40 min to arrive, also the police have to come from walker county it's rediculous... So if u want to live, u shouldn't live that far our because an ambulance or police won't make it in time!

I now live in WWS, and love it, but my taxes on barneswitch for an entire year went from 178.00 to 998.00 in WWS kinda steep and I'm in a mobile home with one lot! Barneswitch I had 3/4 acre
jrg112

Brooklyn, NY

#175 Jan 12, 2015
Somebody want my lot> They can have it and I will make sure all payments up to date. Just pay transfer fee.
Thanks for looking
former Houstonian

Crockett, TX

#176 Feb 20, 2015
red dawn wrote:
thanks for the information, defintly WILL NOT be moving to westwood.-- we want to get out of the houston area, liked the town of trinity, and the short drive to huntsville. BUT after reading the forum about the police department, city government, and drug heads there, its not much different than a little houston.--- drove thru the older parts of trinity, saw some decent homes for sale. but looking at what was surrounding them, wanted no part of them.-- is there anywhere in the area to get away from the dope heads, and city government.
Look at Harbor Point on Hwy 356. It is gated, reasonable deed restrictions that are enforced, no mud taxes, lower HOA fees, and a swimming pool, lighted fishing dock, private boat ramp and newly remodeled club house. Friendly folks live there too.
Gypsy

Birmingham, AL

#177 Jun 23, 2015
STEVE wrote:
what is the PROBLEMS with living in westwood shores, have looked at homes there, and there certainly are LOTS of them for sale. there has to be some problems for that many to be for sale. tell me about living in westwood shores, either good or bad.
We looked and found an awesome house in Westwood Shores, but the maintenance fees were 142.00 per month. Decided we would rather put that kind of money toward a house note. Lovely area though. You might try Govenors Point in between Livingston and Huntsville on 190 hwy
justwondering

Fairfield, TX

#178 Oct 27, 2015
STEVE wrote:
folks lets hear it--- whats the pros and cons about westwood shores.
Westwood Shores has a MUD tax and both Maintenance(for general upkeep and access control) and Recreational (for the Golf course, Country Club and pool and tennis courts areas). The POA purchased the Country Club from the previous owner almost three years ago and since then there has bee alot of great improvements to the property. The fees may seem high to some but if you want to live in a safe and nice community in Trinity County Westwood is the place.
Kathy Finn

Austin, TX

#179 Dec 7, 2015
This is a great community here at Westwood Shores yes you need to be aware of property owner fees and recreation and the taxes
you will not find any nicer people in the world
The property owners acquired the golf course in 2012 it has had major improvements and the country club house is all newly renovated
The posts on here from 2009
are very outdated
I love having the gated community,
golf, and swimming pools
At Marina Village you can launch your boat
And enjoy the lovely lakeside RV park.
Don't buy a lot here there are too
many nice homes here for sale
It is a mostly retired community so homes do come available for sale
12/7/2015
Kathy Finn
Therese

Livingston, TX

#181 Jan 23, 2016
I am considering property in WWS. Can you elaborate on the fees required? Say 1 lot unimproved? Are there more fees than the HOA fees? I was told about 1722.00 a yr?? Is this correct and all inclusive?
Kathy Finn wrote:
This is a great community here at Westwood Shores yes you need to be aware of property owner fees and recreation and the taxes
you will not find any nicer people in the world
The property owners acquired the golf course in 2012 it has had major improvements and the country club house is all newly renovated
The posts on here from 2009
are very outdated
I love having the gated community,
golf, and swimming pools
At Marina Village you can launch your boat
And enjoy the lovely lakeside RV park.
Don't buy a lot here there are too
many nice homes here for sale
It is a mostly retired community so homes do come available for sale
12/7/2015
Kathy Finn
Josie

Cypress, TX

#182 Feb 10, 2016
Monthly fees are now up to $153 a month. No one got to vote on it but the board of koo koos just put the new fees into place. Where does all the money go? The pavilion is ancient and in desperate need of repair. The marina is so dilapidated that it is unsafe to walk on the docks. There are more rules than living in North Korea. Again......WHERE DOES ALL THE MONEY GO!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trinity Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steve conley ( town thug) 1 hr Trinity resident 27
Calling ONLY current & former Brookshire's empl... (Nov '07) Jun 26 Anonymous 160
Trinity Plantation? (Jul '09) Jun 24 Seller L 76
My name is Steve conley Jun 23 Steve conley 3
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun 13 robert 994
Review: A & J Automotive (Mar '15) Jun 13 XXXGGGG 5
onalska PD has quota or there just a lot of cr... (Oct '14) Jun 4 otis 4

Trinity Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trinity Mortgages