westwood shores
Wile E Peyote

Centerville, TX

#41 Aug 10, 2010
red dawn wrote:
thanks for the information, defintly WILL NOT be moving to westwood.-- we want to get out of the houston area, liked the town of trinity, and the short drive to huntsville. BUT after reading the forum about the police department, city government, and drug heads there, its not much different than a little houston.--- drove thru the older parts of trinity, saw some decent homes for sale. but looking at what was surrounding them, wanted no part of them.-- is there anywhere in the area to get away from the dope heads, and city government.
heh...THAT'S funny...'defintly' funny.
Beemer

Whitney, TX

#42 Aug 10, 2010
Yeah, that is really funny - wonder what changed his mind.
Old Hippy Gal

Fairfield, TX

#43 Aug 11, 2010
Good morning y'all. The question about the sub-division of Westwood shores is good one. We lived in Trinity Cove when I was a teen. Parents bought there instead of Westwood because Westwood was brand new at the time and not many houses were there. My mom became a widow many years ago and we moved her from her place in Trinity Cove to Westwood because she was afraid by herself at night. As an older widow that was fair, she had been married and with company all her life. She has a maintenance fee each year and the country club fees also. The highest thing is the MUD taxes. They are about 7 or 8 percent and are due at the time of the property taxes. And yes, as long as you own property wherever there taxes are due and payable. As are the fees. She loves Westwood, she feels very safe and alot of older people retired there. There is a real sense of community for her with the card and domino groups which she loves, plus she belongs to garden and civic stuff and they have coffees weekly she attends. Lots of older people mean lots of property sales for estates being settled. I would say if you could afford it you would like it, she does. It is outside the city of Trinity and she cant vote in their elections, but she couldnt in Trinity Cove either.
bduares

Fairfield, TX

#44 Aug 11, 2010
Old Hippy Gal wrote:
It is outside the city of Trinity and she cant vote in their elections, but she couldnt in Trinity Cove either.
That's one thing I never could stomach. My property is outside Trinity, back into Walker County, but it is in Trinity City School District. So I pay thousands of $ each year to Trinity in property taxes, which end up being even higher than the taxes I already pay to Walker County, since there's some sort of limit on regular property tax vs. there being no real limit on what a county can charge in "school district" property tax.

But I can't vote on any City of Trinity issues? Not only taxation without representation, but unable to even cast a vote to change my own "tax" situation, which is forced on me by a city and county that I don't even live in.
Pragmatistic

Centerville, TX

#45 Aug 11, 2010
Mephisto wrote:
Many will disagree but......
Lake L offers acres not lots.
It's cheap.( when bought privately )
It's quiet and unregulated.
....and how 'bout those great dirt roads?
Only good for the more "independent" types.
...still most 'subdivisions' prevent large animals and real freedom.
There are more new homes built each year in WWS than all other trinity subdivisions combined.

Lake L is a big parasite! They don't maintain their own private roads so the county has to, in order to protect the children on school buses, and emergency vehicles.

They don't pay a fair share of taxes, even the fat cat elected officials, yet the place requires far more services (police,fire,welfare,ambulance ,food stamps))than WWS which pays 10 times the taxes.
WWS has a lot of homes for sale because it is the "last home" for many older couples.

Let's not mistake your free ride on the backs of your neighbore for any freedom that you have earned
BobJ

AOL

#46 Aug 11, 2010
STEVE wrote:
what is the PROBLEMS with living in westwood shores, have looked at homes there, and there certainly are LOTS of them for sale. there has to be some problems for that many to be for sale. tell me about living in westwood shores, either good or bad.
some of the homes in WWS are for sale because of real health problems, there is no serious medical care available in Trinity, when something seriouis happens you move closer to the hospitals. Then there is the country club..... There have been numerous law suites with the current country club owner and the issue is still far from settled. I think the remainder of the homes are for sale because of the HO association. About 60% of the home owners are behind in their dues and the association is quick to sue any and everybody who crosses them. My advice stay away....

“Gone Bananas!”

Since: Feb 10

State of Trinity

#47 Aug 11, 2010
Wile E Peyote wrote:
<quoted text>
heh...THAT'S funny...'defintly' funny.
...thought you already said earlier you lived in WWS?
red dawn

Crosby, TX

#48 Aug 11, 2010
I DO LIVE IN WWS--- found a CASH deal on a house on 3 lots-- was such a deal for cash sale, could not pass it up. the deal on WWS is if you have the income, to not let the fees and taxes bother you, it is a great place. if the fees and tax is a bind on the budget look elsewhere.
red dawn

Crosby, TX

#49 Aug 11, 2010
ok the fees are high-- I do not care-- I will happily pay them to be away from most of the crimminals, vermin, and down right trash, that plagues a lot of the surrounding areas.-- if you use the facilities, such as play golf , fish the lakes a lot, use the marina, and fish livingston, that to me is well worth the fees.
Pragmatistic

Centerville, TX

#50 Aug 12, 2010
bduares wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one thing I never could stomach. My property is outside Trinity, back into Walker County, but it is in Trinity City School District. So I pay thousands of $ each year to Trinity in property taxes, which end up being even higher than the taxes I already pay to Walker County, since there's some sort of limit on regular property tax vs. there being no real limit on what a county can charge in "school district" property tax.
But I can't vote on any City of Trinity issues? Not only taxation without representation, but unable to even cast a vote to change my own "tax" situation, which is forced on me by a city and county that I don't even live in.
If you're so rich and smart and educated, how come you don't know the basics:

The city doesn't set or collect your taxes 'cause you dont live in the city, therefore you can't vote in the city elections.

If you live in Walker county,then you pay tax in Walker county and get to vote in county elections there. They don't set or collect school taxes, anywhere.

If you are in the Trinity ISD, you pay tax to them and you can vote in their elections.

Walmart will be by later to repossess your voter registration.
Whaaatt

Iola, TX

#51 Aug 12, 2010
WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT WWS ANYWAY, JUST A BUNCH OF POMPASS ASS RESIDENTS THAT THINK WHEN THEY SHIT IT DONT STINK. SO MANY PEOPLE ARE STRETCHED IN BUDGET TO AFFORD THE PLACE AND WANT TO LIVE IN THE POSH SURROUNDINGS TO SAY "I LIVE HERE" - BTW, RESIDENT HERE TOO BUT I KNOW SOMETIMES MINE STINKS.
What Is A Low Keel

Canada

#52 Aug 12, 2010
bduares wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you fail Texas Government class?

You do realize that Trinity ISD is not part of the City of Trinity. That is what the "independent" in "independent school district" stands for. No city in Texas (except for Stafford) has control over its schools. That's why you take yout school grievances to the elected School Board, not the City Council or Commisioners' Court.
Beemer

Texarkana, TX

#53 Aug 12, 2010
bduares wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you paying PROPERTY taxes to both Walker and Trinity counties?
I have heard people who live at Deep River and back behind Barnes Switch are right on the dividing line.
red dawn

Crosby, TX

#54 Aug 12, 2010
WHAAAAAT-- so you are the one making all the meadow muffins on the golf course, lay off the beans.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#55 Aug 13, 2010
As far as westwood .... If you leave something at the pool is does not go into lost and found, Maintenance takes it home with them. They also go through the dumpsters and take old computers and stuff home and try to fix them. Don't forget the drunks that come down to the pool with a bunch of friends they are family of maintenance. They have a pool where they live but there are to many rules.
red dawn

Crosby, TX

#56 Aug 13, 2010
thinitylady do YOU actually live in WWS
wave maker

Trinity, TX

#57 Aug 13, 2010
Ok I have seen some good stuff and bad, who can tell me bout these rent a popos? They have started stuff with my family, and they do not realize who they are jurking off. What gives with them?
bduares

Buffalo, TX

#58 Aug 14, 2010
Beemer wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you paying PROPERTY taxes to both Walker and Trinity counties?
I have heard people who live at Deep River and back behind Barnes Switch are right on the dividing line.
All of my property is in Walker County, in the Barnes Switch area. A short distance away on both sides lies Trinity County on one side and Houston County on the other. It is the very "tip" of Walker County.
I pay property tax on both property and buildings to Walker County. Additionally, as the property is located in the Trinity School District, I again pay property taxes on both property and buildings to Trinity County out of the Tax Assessors office in Groveton. While this may be for the ISD, the tax forms themselves state "Property Tax" on them.
While a resident of Walker County and able to vote on Walker County issues, and often in court in Huntsville for property concerns, like road upkeep etc, I am not a resident of Trinity County, to which I also pay taxes on my property, and as a non-Trinity County resident I have no voting rights in that county, even though many services here are Trinity County services - fire department from Trinity, for example, takes care of this area, water is from Trinity Rural Water Supply Company, if I had any kids in school (I don't) they would be required to be either home schooled or go to public school in Trinity, etc, while other services here, such as electricity, come from Houston County.
While I understand (basically) that there are both general "property" taxes to the county in which you live, and "school district" taxes to the county in which your school district is located, it is a bit of a problem when you can not have any voting rights in an area in which you are paying "taxes", regardless of what "type" of taxes they are. It is made worse by the fact that while there are strict caps on place as far a general county property taxes, there are far less restrictions on the amount of taxes a school district may charge at will. While I am sure there is some sort of procedure where residents may vote on taxation amounts, you would have to be a county resident in order to vote on issues for that county.
Beemer

Texarkana, TX

#59 Aug 14, 2010
bduares wrote:
<quoted text>
All of my property is in Walker County, in the Barnes Switch area. A short distance away on both sides lies Trinity County on one side and Houston County on the other. It is the very "tip" of Walker County.
I pay property tax on both property and buildings to Walker County. Additionally, as the property is located in the Trinity School District, I again pay property taxes on both property and buildings to Trinity County out of the Tax Assessors office in Groveton. While this may be for the ISD, the tax forms themselves state "Property Tax" on them.
While a resident of Walker County and able to vote on Walker County issues, and often in court in Huntsville for property concerns, like road upkeep etc, I am not a resident of Trinity County, to which I also pay taxes on my property, and as a non-Trinity County resident I have no voting rights in that county, even though many services here are Trinity County services - fire department from Trinity, for example, takes care of this area, water is from Trinity Rural Water Supply Company, if I had any kids in school (I don't) they would be required to be either home schooled or go to public school in Trinity, etc, while other services here, such as electricity, come from Houston County.
While I understand (basically) that there are both general "property" taxes to the county in which you live, and "school district" taxes to the county in which your school district is located, it is a bit of a problem when you can not have any voting rights in an area in which you are paying "taxes", regardless of what "type" of taxes they are. It is made worse by the fact that while there are strict caps on place as far a general county property taxes, there are far less restrictions on the amount of taxes a school district may charge at will. While I am sure there is some sort of procedure where residents may vote on taxation amounts, you would have to be a county resident in order to vote on issues for that county.
Can it get any more complicated? We looked at property out there several years ago, so I know where you're talking about. On my tax statement it clearly indicates which is property taxes, school taxes, hospital. I assume you've checked all this out... It just doesn't seem right that you would be paying PROPERTY taxes to Trinity county when you're property is in Walker county. Has to be that what you are paying in Trinity county is the SCHOOL taxes - unless someone has made a mistake?
Wile E Peyote

Centerville, TX

#60 Aug 14, 2010
bduares wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the property taxes you pay in Trinity County are strictly for school district taxes because you are in TISD? I believe the school board sets the tax rates. Are you really not allowed to vote in the TISD school board elections? That would be a little upsetting. Certainly you can vote for the board of directors at TRWSC, no?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trinity Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vickers sentenced to 17 years for murder (Nov '09) 15 hr Friend 23
Meth Heads in local stores Aug 26 cokehead 4
groveton Aug 25 Bob 3
moving to onalaska tx Aug 25 katie13173 2
Meth and local business owners Aug 21 Joe w 2
Steve Conley ... Piece of crap (Jan '15) Aug 20 Town homo 40
Wreck Aug 17 Jordan 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Trinity Mortgages