Schools in Trenton
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
PoonSlayer

Apo, AE

#1 Jan 22, 2010
I'm planning on moving back to Trenton after an 18 year absence. How are the schools these days? I'm considering sending my High School age to either JCS or USJ...thoughts?
PoonSlayer

Apo, AE

#2 Jan 22, 2010
Sorry, I have a high school age son.
SIS

Memphis, TN

#3 Jan 22, 2010
They both are wonderful private schools!
Trenton Native

Dyersburg, TN

#4 Jan 22, 2010
The School System in Trenton is great. I do not have kids in the high school but would send mine to TSSD if i did.

Arlington, TN

#5 Jan 22, 2010
As long as he is in high school and not in TES it is a great school system I have 2 in the high school and it is a wonderful school.

United States

#6 Jan 22, 2010
PoonSlayer wrote:
I'm planning on moving back to Trenton after an 18 year absence. How are the schools these days? I'm considering sending my High School age to either JCS or USJ...thoughts?
If you can afford it private school is always a better option. Teaching is like any profession, the best and brightest go where the money is, and that's private school. You would be giving your son an automatic advantage over publicly educated children.
teacher

Benton, KY

#7 Jan 22, 2010
guest wrote:
<quoted text>If you can afford it private school is always a better option. Teaching is like any profession, the best and brightest go where the money is, and that's private school. You would be giving your son an automatic advantage over publicly educated children.
Teachers in private schools get paid way less than teachers in public schools!
teacher

Benton, KY

#8 Jan 22, 2010
And Gibson County Schools have some of the top assessment scores in the state!
lsj

Humboldt, TN

#9 Jan 22, 2010
Guest wrote:
As long as he is in high school and not in TES it is a great school system I have 2 in the high school and it is a wonderful school.
What is wrong with TES?

Arlington, TN

#10 Jan 22, 2010
There is a LOT of favoritism with the children and don't even get me started about the clothing "Nazi". The dress code was shoved down out throats and they can't even get it together between the schools. What is perfectly acceptable at TRMS and PHS is not at TES. All I heard was how bad TRMS was when I moved here.My kids loved it and I was happy when I was finished with TES.
lucip

Memphis, TN

#11 Jan 23, 2010
Trenton School System is GREAT! All 3 of my children goes to school here now, I have a son in High School and 2 in the Middle School.....favoritism? Get off of it every child gets an education here if their is something that YOU don't like take to the School Board and let them know your concerns....the Nazi clothing....if YOu have not notice and I take it that you have not their are less fights in our High School and less gang activity....the dress code has been a succes for our school system and other school system around us....Private schools are good too because they have a one-on-one learnig if your child need it. "Guest" look at Trenton graduation rate and dropout rates, then look at the money and success that these students get for going to college....last year the graduating class has over 1.4 million dollars in scholarship money.....it is obvious that something good is happening with TRENTON SCHOOL SYSTEM!
Jungle Jim

Miami, FL

#12 Jan 23, 2010
They Suck
lucip

Memphis, TN

#13 Jan 23, 2010
Jungle Jim wrote:
They Suck
Well that is your opinion and you are entitle to that....

Arlington, TN

#14 Jan 23, 2010
lucip wrote:
Trenton School System is GREAT! All 3 of my children goes to school here now, I have a son in High School and 2 in the Middle School.....favoritism? Get off of it every child gets an education here if their is something that YOU don't like take to the School Board and let them know your concerns....the Nazi clothing....if YOu have not notice and I take it that you have not their are less fights in our High School and less gang activity....the dress code has been a succes for our school system and other school system around us....Private schools are good too because they have a one-on-one learnig if your child need it. "Guest" look at Trenton graduation rate and dropout rates, then look at the money and success that these students get for going to college....last year the graduating class has over 1.4 million dollars in scholarship money.....it is obvious that something good is happening with TRENTON SCHOOL SYSTEM!
I did not say that our children did not receive an good education. I said there was a lot of favoritism in TES and there is. Elementary school is suppose to be about learning and having fun. At TES they are suppose to walk around like little robots and heaven forbid trying to talk in the lunchroom. My children were very glad to get out of there and get to the middle school and I was happy for them to get out of there as well.
There may not be as much gang activity in the high school but there are just as many fights. Alternative school is full and a few weeks a student was taken away in a ambulance after a fight. Not counting the fights that start at school but are finished after school in fields or at the park.
I agree PHS graduates do get a large amount of scholarship money but a lot of that is due to the amount of time and effort that Mrs.Nunley devotes to the students.
concerned citizen

United States

#15 Jan 24, 2010
no matter what, someone is always going to have problems with the issues. you can not make everybody happy, people are going to complain and whine about it anyway. just think about what you are doing and put it in gods hands and pray about it instead of complaining about it.
ms teapot

Shreveport, LA

#16 Jan 25, 2010

I graduated from PHS in 1984. I am proud to say I am a Peabody Graduate and my child will go to school there also. TSSD has its problems just as every other school district around. Do I get frustrated sometimes at the schools, school board and teachers? Sure I do, but I LOVE PEABODY! I would not want my child to go anywhere else! ROLL TIDE!
myopinion

United States

#17 Jan 26, 2010
The only thing that I would change about TSSD is the fact that the 5th grade is in the middle school. Most (not all) teachers expect these 10 and 11 yr. olds to have the maturity level of the 12-14 yr. olds. As for the favoritizm that's just life. But if our teachers would step out and find that child that may have a hard time fitting in or that child that may be acting out, imagine the possibilities through possitive reinforcement.
PoonSlayer

Flöha, Germany

#18 Jan 26, 2010
I really don't think I'd like school uniforms. The only public schools that wear uniforms are either a Catholic school or Nazi Germany. We are neither of those....
AMA

Humboldt, TN

#19 Jan 26, 2010
go private if you can afford it :)
Teacher at TES

Jackson, TN

#20 Jan 31, 2010
I think that most of us at TES go above and beyond our job requirements. I do believe that we reach out to the kids that need it. We collect clothing, school supplies, food, etc. to try to ensure that children have what they need.
I agree about the lunchroom....they should be able to talk! I think the reason that they turn the lights off when they get loud is because they want them to be quiet so they will eat their lunch.
I truly love the students in my class and work hard to ensure that they get a quality education. The state standards have gotten harder and therefore, as a teacher we are required to teach all of these and school has gotten much harder than it was when we were in school. But, we try hard to get them all to a proficient or above status while maintaining a loving and nurturing environment.
Mr. Jonathan does a wonderful job! He works hard and wants the best for all of our students. That is why we have so many interventions to help get our nonproficient students get on target. I wish that some of you could walk in my class at any given time and see the way that I interact with my kids and the love that I show each of them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trenton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Penny Richardson 2 hr Guest 5
jennifer sims 6 hr For real 17
Jennifer johnson 9 hr OldSpice 39
Homeless 23 hr Sam 33
Jd doss (Jan '14) Fri ReallyReally 10
Senator Stephen Sweeney is addicted to Alcoholic Mar 23 Joey 2
Murphy should NOT support Sweeney, he's a BAD C... Mar 22 Sweeneys Corrupt 1

Trenton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance