Saving Van Horn

Full story: The Isle Camera

Grosse Ile Township officials are ready to jump in the ring over the proposed closing of Van Horn Road.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Kevin

Taylor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2006

They should close down Van Horn so that vital jobs can be brought this immediate area and the City Of Trenton can also get the added tax base. The fact that it inconvenient some is not nearly as important. Let me get this straight...the people of Grosse Ile are angry because it would be inconvenient...HEY, YOU LIVE ON AN ISLAND! It is going to be inconvient. The people of Grosse Ile weren't talking about convenience when they wanted the new bridge to come through Grosse Ile. Hey, that would have been very convenient.
John

Roseland, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2006

Ask yourself this question....
If the county decided to block off one end of your street and you now had to drive 2 miles further to get to the same location, would you be mad? The reason (excuse) is "It's for the economony"... oh, 11,000 other folks on your street will be taking the same path that you now have to use.
Two miles may sound like a small trivial number, but don't forget to add stop lights, stop signs, and very busy trains tracks and addition traffic congestion to your commute. Oh yeah, and all the routes that you now have to take are only two lane, not a four lane road.
The traffic on and off the island that traverses Van Horn road is about 16,000 vehicles a day, given the last traffic study. This isn't a little two track path, it is well traveled route that is used daily.
Please take a second and go to http://maps.google.com/ and look up zip 48183 to see the big picture and surrounding area.
Kevin

Taylor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2006

Hey nobody told them to go and live on an island. When they full well know there is only 2 ways on/off the island. But when a plan was presented to them that would create another, via American/Canadian bridge they cried a river and stomped their feet and did not want it. Now that one of the access/egress points may be changed they are crying and stomping their feet again. The residents of Grosse Ile want all the benefits of living on the ďIslandĒ but when they are faced with the down side of living on the ďIslandĒ they cry. Letís not forget the numerous times Grosse Ile tried to take the toll bridge from a family and cloak it in eminent domain (hence, what's best for the economy/people of Grosse Ile!). Here is an idea, have the residents of Grosse Ile chip in and pay for their own bridge so this isnít a problem anymore.
Greg Marx

Taylor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2006

I am currently in the process of starting a coalition to make sure that Van Horn does get shut down...Details will follow.
John

Roseland, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2006

This really is sounding like a done deal. The county stated that in these economic times it would be in poor judgment to stop this expansion because of the new economic benefits gained for Trenton, Wayne County, and the State of Michigan.

It appears that hindsight now shows that it is was a good thing that the International Bridge was defeated. The only 4 lane road between the express way and Grosse Ile is being closed because of future Daimler-Chrylser plant expansion. Imagine, coming to America and being greeted with a bunch of two lane roads, stop lights, stops signs, etc. Why? Well, we had to close the only road (infrastructure) that was large enough to provide adequate traffic flow to accommodate Daimler-Chrylser. I would have LOVED not having to drive to Detroit to head to Canada. It is just possible that there could be more people that share that thought....

Come on now, it really isnít out of the ordinary to ask for an equal value or better for a replacement. The residents of Grosse Ile are asking ONLY to provide what they currently have today. Unfortunately, it looks like that the county and local municipalities are hitching a ride on the coat tails of economic growth with the excuse of urban sprawl being the main excuse. This is whole scenario is like taking your Town and Country minivan to the dealership for service and receiving a Neon to use...

If the state can waste, I mean spend tax payerís money on projects like the Zilwaukee Bridge, then this sounds like a drop in the bucket. Provide the same access to Grosse Ile that is available today without making it a burden on Daimler-Chrysler with additional costs and souring the whole future for expansion in Trenton. Itís not rocket science people, play nice or go home.
mike

Wyandotte, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2006

why you flat landers talking about van horn on houghton lake message board
Timothy Foote

Adrian, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2006

Hey, I think I missed something! I read all of the posts but "What section of Van Horn Road are we talking about"?
Kyle Anderson

Taylor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2006

I have been a Grosse Ile resident for 16 years now. And since this issue has come up I have spoke with numerous other Grosse Ile residents. And we all agree that closing Van Horn would be the right thing to do. We as Grosse Ile residents have no right to tell other communities or private business what thay can or can't do. We need to just stay out of this and move on.
Timothy Foote

Adrian, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2006

Keven,

I just spoke with a laid off employee of the Trenton Engine plant. He said he was hired and put in 91 days and they laid him off. Nice! Anyway we were discussing the proposed closing of Van Horn to make way for the expansion of the Trenton Engine Plant and the possibilities of working on Vreeland Road as an alternate. I mentioned that I was encouraged that there were going to be 600 + jobs available with the expansion. I was informed that Damilier-Chrysler will be building a new plant on the proposed property and taking down the present building. Recently the Trenton Engine Plant had 3400 employees, now they have 1200 after layoffs. When the new plant was built in Dundee, many of the workers went who were laid off went to Dundee to work. By the time the new plant is built in Trenton, another 600 will have been laid off since the new plant will have many new labor saving improvements.
Kevin wrote:
They should close down Van Horn so that vital jobs can be brought this immediate area and the City Of Trenton can also get the added tax base. The fact that it inconvenient some is not nearly as important. Let me get this straight...the people of Grosse Ile are angry because it would be inconvenient...HEY, YOU LIVE ON AN ISLAND! It is going to be inconvient. The people of Grosse Ile weren't talking about convenience when they wanted the new bridge to come through Grosse Ile. Hey, that would have been very convenient.
Jim Sanders

Taylor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2006

I have personal contact with some of the top people that will make this decision. I have been told this will happen. There has also been talk of permanently closing the free bridge and canceling the repair project.
gijoe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2006

Jim Sanders wrote:
I have personal contact with some of the top people that will make this decision. I have been told this will happen. There has also been talk of permanently closing the free bridge and canceling the repair project.
yea right....
Downriver Resident

Trenton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2006

Kevin wrote:
These 700 good paying DaimlerChrysler jobs will be very important to the area and to the City of Trenton. However, there are many other residents who are employed by commercial and retail companies along Van Horn. The loss of Van Horn will result in many of these employers closing and the employees losing their jobs. Some estimates are that the closing of Van Horn will result in the gain of 700 DaimlerChrysler jobs and the loss of 700 other jobs.

The argument against closure of Van Horn is not opposition to the new plant. It is a demand that the State of Michigan and the US Government have a plan to minimize negative consequences such as closure of other employers.
Downriver Resident

Trenton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2006

Timothy Foote wrote:
Hey, I think I missed something! I read all of the posts but "What section of Van Horn Road are we talking about"?
The section to be closed is between Fort Streen and West Jefferson.
Jeff

Trenton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2006

The elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about is the 2,200 cars at shift change converging on the service drive by the lamp shop... (corner of West and Fort) Factor in a rail road crossing underneith the viaduct (at the entrance to the new proposed employee parking lot) and you begin to realize how dumb this plan really is.
Downriver Resident II

Bloomfield Hills, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2006

Another aspect that no one has talked about is the proposed $12 million train bridge project scheduled for Allen and Van Horn roads. If Van Horn is closed for the new plant, the traffic would be diverted from the intersection of Van Horn and Allen, thereby eliminating the congestion at that intersection and the need for the train bridge, and resulting in a waste of everyone's tax dollars (9.5 of the 12 million is supposedly coming from the federal government).
Also, there's no guaranteed quid pro quo here. DiamlerChrylser isn't guaranteeing the "600" jobs will be there for any length of time, and they're failing to mention that when the existing plant winds down and closes that there will be more than 600 jobs lost. The end result will be far fewer jobs at that location in the end. The only real winner will be the City of Trenton keeping 50-60% of it's tax base.
Lastly, back in April the UAW local for that plant was forced to agree to a drastic change in their work rules in order for DiamlerChrylser to consider it as a possible location for the new plant. Here's a link to an article on the changes, which makes you wonder whether the "600" jobs are really worth it.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp...
mike

Hamburg, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2006

Kevin wrote:
I concure
Jose

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2007

Convenient for who? Coorperations who can save money by sending drivers on routes to canada? i mean I hardly think the purpose of that bridge was to be for people's convenience. But yeah, some failing chrysler company that is laying off tons of people everywhere should be able to come close up an extremly important street to the only wealthy community in the area? yes i see a problem there. The factory is totally unnesessary and would only provide some blue collar rif raf for temporary jobs before they decide to lay off a thousand or so people there. Trenton, please do something better with your time than obsessing on how to inconvenience Grosse Ile people. Hate in your heart will consume you!
Bela sarkett

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2007

FOR THE BENIFET OF ALL, VAN HORN MUST BE CLOSED TO HELP ECONOMICALY. THE LITTLE INCOVVIENENCE IS PART OF LIFE AND IN THIS CASE, A GREAT BENIFIT TO THE DOWNRIVER
Derelict Neighbor

Bloomfield Hills, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2007

Does DC own the property to the south of Van Horn? What impact will the closing have on ABC paving and the landscaping company on Van Horn? If DC does not own the land adjacent to the south then how will the gain of approx 100-150 feet help them?

I'm all for economic growth for the downriver area, but closing a road for a company with such an unclear future is ludicris. I realize this thread is 7 months old, but I have recently heard the "rumor" or "fact" of Van Horn closing again. I hope that the powers that be take another look at this proposal.
Kevin

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2007

I am all for closing the free bridge. No need for the blue collar rif raf to pay for this free amenity when a perfectly good toll bridge is available to the affluent people of Grosse Ile. I see what that all there college edumication done got you people when you tried to steal the toll bridge from the Smoke family. Oh thatís right, a whole lot of costs with nothing to show for it. Good thing those blue collar peeps werenít involved or the costs could have been higher. Save it Jose...Out!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Trenton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Trenton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••