Storm leaves 4,700 in dark

Storm leaves 4,700 in dark

There are 1 comment on the GreenvilleOnline.com story from Mar 5, 2008, titled Storm leaves 4,700 in dark. In it, GreenvilleOnline.com reports that:

“It was just windy. It wasn't real, real bad like a tornado or anything like that.”

More than 4,700 Duke Energy customers in the Upstate were without power Tuesday night as storms swiftly moved through the area. via GreenvilleOnline.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GreenvilleOnline.com.

Mike McGee

Greenville, SC

#1 Mar 5, 2008
Over the last several months we have heard rhetoric from Duke Power about their commitment to making Greenville a desirable place to live and burying the power lines when it makes sense. Yet along Old Spartanburg, Hammitt Bridge, and S. Batesville Roads when it would be most opportune to bury the power lines Duke is putting in telephone poles, cutting down trees, and stringing above ground lines to service subdivisions with underground power. The only power lines above ground are those along S. Batesville, Hammitt Bridge and Old Spartanburg Roads.

S. Batesville Road between The Parkway and Enoree Road is a great road decorated with a carnival of leaning and bending telephone poles with sagging lines strung between them. And, now Duke is doing it again.

I think it is long past time when the County Government needs to step up and tell the utility how we want the community to look as well as reduce our rates by burying the lines once and eliminate:

The inefficient and costly practice of pruning trees annually;
Having periodic power outages from downed power lines; and,
Paying the high cost of repairing downed power lines after storms.

It only takes a 15 minute ride to understand how foolish and wasteful Duke Power is being in this area. And to think that in a few years when they wake up; they will tear up the new roads to bury their lines.

I believe that Duke should be required to bury all lines along new and upgrade road projects. Especially, when 90% of the lines have already been buried by the developers and homeowners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Travelers Rest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greenville sc or Chattanooga? Apr 23 Perplexed 3
Airsoft Team in Greenville, SC (Jan '10) Mar '17 Anonymous 22
why don't white males date black women (Jul '12) Mar '17 Mikayla 61
GREENVILLE-ASHEVILLE CULT: DEEKSHA ONENESS "BLE... (May '16) Mar '17 Cynthia Crosby 5
Walter Cleveland - anyone know him in Greenville? (Apr '16) Mar '17 Singlemom08 3
scarfo construction (May '10) Mar '17 JUST SURFING 17
Baldor Mar '17 Frankenberry 1

Travelers Rest Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Travelers Rest Mortgages