Town Enforces Curfew to Fight Vandalism

Full story: WPVI-TV Philadelphia

Nighttime has become the enemy of residents living in the community of Folcroft.
Comments
1 - 20 of 112 Comments Last updated Oct 31, 2013
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Delco Resident

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2006

I drive through Folcroft every day to and from work, and noticed the curfew sign this morning. I have no specific comment other than to say I'm not surprised.
UpSet

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2006

Judged:

I feel like if the Folcroft Police would do their jobs we wouldn't have this problem.
Shady

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2006

Judged:

Maybe if parents would take responsibility for their kids and teach them right for wrong, perhaps they wouldn't be so terrible.
Just a Voice

Norristown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2006

Judged:

UpSet in Philly, Maybe if you controlled your children, and supplied them with values and morals, we wouldnt have to have a curfew in the first place.
Kevin H88

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2006

Judged:

Shady wrote:
Maybe if parents would take responsibility for their kids and teach them right for wrong, perhaps they wouldn't be so terrible.
Well you can teach kids from right and wrong.. You can do all you want.

But it's up to the kids whether they follow it or not.
marco

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2006

Judged:

Kevin H88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you can teach kids from right and wrong.. You can do all you want.
But it's up to the kids whether they follow it or not.
It is no longer an issue of good or bad parenting; it is a community issue where everyone needs to collaborate to find other means of entertainment for them. This would create a relationship with the individuals and an opportunity to meet faces.
McMoe

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2006

Judged:

"Nighttime has become the enemy of residents living in the community of Folcroft."

i live in folcroft. and, surprisingly, nighttime is not infact my enemy. every bike i have ever owned was stolen from me from my yard, whether it was locked up or not... and usually, it wasn't, not due to carelessness, but because it was mid day, and i neglected it for a few minutes while going inside to retrieve something, or use the john. also, i've been witness to criminals driving around the neighborhood in midday, in a truck, stealing ladders from yards. mid day. what has become the enemy of folcroft is section 8 housing. people with no morals, values or ethics being allowed to live in the neighborhood are what happened. they have nothing to contribute, and their kids are being shown the example to leache off of society, and to never try to better themselves. yeah, whoever thought that would be good is quite stupid. gotta love democrats.
upperdarbyboi

Forked River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2007

Judged:

FOLCROFT IS CORNY...JUST A BUNCH OF SUBURBAN KIDS WIT NUTTIN TO DO BUT SMASH CAR WINDOWS N SHOOT BB GUNZ...UPPER DARBY ALL DAY EVERYDAY...YOUS BETTER KEEP THEM FOLCROFT KIDS IN FOLCROFT BEFOR THEY GET HURT
Concerned Citizen

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2007

If the residents' children stayed to keep Folcroft in the family, the town would not have changed.
McMoe wrote:
"Nighttime has become the enemy of residents living in the community of Folcroft."
i live in folcroft. and, surprisingly, nighttime is not infact my enemy. every bike i have ever owned was stolen from me from my yard, whether it was locked up or not... and usually, it wasn't, not due to carelessness, but because it was mid day, and i neglected it for a few minutes while going inside to retrieve something, or use the john. also, i've been witness to criminals driving around the neighborhood in midday, in a truck, stealing ladders from yards. mid day. what has become the enemy of folcroft is section 8 housing. people with no morals, values or ethics being allowed to live in the neighborhood are what happened. they have nothing to contribute, and their kids are being shown the example to leache off of society, and to never try to better themselves. yeah, whoever thought that would be good is quite stupid. gotta love democrats.
Concerned in Folcroft

Nashua, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2007

Let's face it. Folcroft used to be middle class hard working families. The homes were taken care of and kept up. Then the section 8 happened and what follows, always follows. The white trash and the blacks ruin everything good. They are the reason Folcroft is not safe and the housing has not increased in value. The are the plague and the cause of the problems. Good for the curfew. Keep them locked up and off the streets. They make it unsafe for the older community and for the good kids. The best thing to do in Folcroft is to run them out of the town like used to happen 20 years ago.
McMoe wrote:

“DON'T FIX ME I'M NOT BROKEN!!!”

Since: Jun 07

RIDLEY....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2007

I live in eddystone and we do have a Curfew and it works well, the fire alarm gos off at 945 in the summer and 845 in the fall and winter. The kids around here are not that bad its the neiborhood next to us that come in and steal our kidds bike, hang out at the park after ahours and trash the place, break into cars and so on.. Are kidds know if you see two kids on one bike riding around here, there shopping for a new bike, I would like to see are police riding around on there bikes more.

Since: Jul 07

upper darby pa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

upperdarbyboi wrote:
FOLCROFT IS CORNY...JUST A BUNCH OF SUBURBAN KIDS WIT NUTTIN TO DO BUT SMASH CAR WINDOWS N SHOOT BB GUNZ...UPPER DARBY ALL DAY EVERYDAY...YOUS BETTER KEEP THEM FOLCROFT KIDS IN FOLCROFT BEFOR THEY GET HURT
i so agree
Mysterious One

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

LyndaAnneS wrote:
I live in eddystone and we do have a Curfew and it works well, the fire alarm gos off at 945 in the summer and 845 in the fall and winter. The kids around here are not that bad its the neiborhood next to us that come in and steal our kidds bike, hang out at the park after ahours and trash the place, break into cars and so on.. Are kidds know if you see two kids on one bike riding around here, there shopping for a new bike, I would like to see are police riding around on there bikes more.
Last summer I saw police round up a few guys and overheard they were from west Philadelphia,came here to make trouble.Police stayed till they got on the bus back to Philly.So yes kids.teens and young adults come from outside of town,but we don't know where they live(like they are going to tell us,right?)so everyone is at a disadvantage to curfew,It's a shame for good kids to be denied a nice summers night because of it.Too great a task to individually weed out the ones out for trouble and the ones enjoying their youth.So curfew has to apply to all under 18.I wish these kids could spend one night in the past to see how great it was at night when kids weren't so rowdy.That was FREEDOM!Anyone could walk at night with no fear of harm or vandalism,noise.I was awakened at 5am a few days ago by an ignoromous blasting music.You don't even need to hear it.One could be totally deaf and feel the vibrations of some of these nincompoops.10pm at night years ago you could hear a pin drop.Now your lucky if you can hear a siren at 3am!Car alrams sound off by the passing vibrations from these people.3 nights ago,one of these "kids" out past curfew,tried to break in my basement door.I know who it is.He'll be sorry if he gains entry.I know how to kill a person without a weapon.My brother showed me how from when he was in the Navy.Its why I'm so much for curfew.I'm told by some of these kids that they are not all bad,which I never say,but the ones that are out mostly are wanting to do something like trying to break in my home.I was waiting for him.As soon as anyone breaks in,I push 1 buttton on the phone for 911 and wait in the dark to give a just reward.And these kids say they do nothing wrong.I'm watching YOU.
Love the Burbs

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2007

I hate to bring this up, but in Phila, it started the same way. One, then two, then 3,4,5 and more. The area's gone downhill. Now, Folcroft, Lansdowne (E & W), Sharon Hill, Folsom, Clifton Heights, Drexel Hill and the dominoes just keep falling. Where can you go? The only good thing aabout Delco, is the cops and curfew. It was the same in Phila., UNTL????
LyndaAnneS wrote:
Mysterious One

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2007

Love the Burbs wrote:
I hate to bring this up, but in Phila, it started the same way. One, then two, then 3,4,5 and more. The area's gone downhill. Now, Folcroft, Lansdowne (E & W), Sharon Hill, Folsom, Clifton Heights, Drexel Hill and the dominoes just keep falling. Where can you go? The only good thing aabout Delco, is the cops and curfew. It was the same in Phila., UNTL????
<quoted text>
You're right.I had many relatives in S.W. Philly.No more.It was safe to be out at any hour.When I was 12,my grandmother had me and my brother for the weekends,and she walked us 10 blocks to 58th.st. at 8:30pm-10:30pm,to go to her freinds place of work-a small bar&eatery.So here is a senior woman with 2 kids,and we were safe to be out and coming back home at 10:30pm!Now I see the same signs here.
Mysterious One

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2007

A town in Delco has put back the curfew to 9pm.I think its Eddystone.Its still 12am here.Our council/mayor needs to realize the same is needed here.I'm sure that if teens can EARN to stay out later,the curfew will ease up.I feel for teens that have earned that respect,to suffer for the actions of some.Just like in school.
Concerned Citizen

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2007

Eddystone Resident: Now for the bad news. Get used to it. The neighborhood is changing. Hopefully, you'll get good people, but it's too close to Chester City, for that to happen. Bring back, Iraddy.
LyndaAnneS wrote:
Mysterious One

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

Todays paper,there is a list of towns in Delco that have curfew time.28 towns have 11pm or less for teens to be off the streets.18 have12am or non.Lot of people have had it from noisy,vandalizing teens.When is Upper Darby going to curtail the curfew time?We need it.
once that kid

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2007

Concerned in Folcroft wrote:
Let's face it. Folcroft used to be middle class hard working families. The homes were taken care of and kept up. Then the section 8 happened and what follows, always follows. The white trash and the blacks ruin everything good. They are the reason Folcroft is not safe and the housing has not increased in value. The are the plague and the cause of the problems. Good for the curfew. Keep them locked up and off the streets. They make it unsafe for the older community and for the good kids. The best thing to do in Folcroft is to run them out of the town like used to happen 20 years ago.
<quoted text>
u cannot blaim the problem only on the section 8 people. i think it is especially wrong for some people to say that they are leching off them an its not the kids fault that they were raised that way an how dare u say and blacks like all black people are living off section 8 an desturbing the peace u racist son of a bitch
in favor of a curfew

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2007

Judged:

Curfews are good for every town. So the law is able to back the parents up. Parents who want to but, are unsucessful. I mean come who hasn't went out after there parents were asleep. It not only puts the child at risk for getting them self hurt, but, also they are more likely to get in trouble if there parents aren't up waiting for them. hurray for the curfew. Protect those kids from getting there selfs hurt or in trouble.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trainer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 3 hr bacon hater 51,299
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 6 hr Knows he lost 3,921
Chester Bottom Dollar Foods CLOSING 15th & Edge... Aug 19 shopper 2
West Goshen needs to be up-front about use of p... (Nov '08) Aug 3 Ricky 5
McCaffery Village Reunion (Mar '07) Jul '14 Mike Willis 39
Review: Mckinney Apparel Group Jul '14 Debbie 1
4 Dead In Chester Home (Mar '08) Jun '14 help me 26
•••
•••
•••

Trainer Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••