Liquor industry has hope - Sentinel &...

Liquor industry has hope - Sentinel & Enterprise

There are 22 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jan 9, 2011, titled Liquor industry has hope - Sentinel & Enterprise. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Located a mere 4.7 miles -- about a seven-minute drive -- away from a New Hampshire State Liquor & Wine Outlet, the Townsend Package Store received a crippling blow to sales when state officials imposed a 6.25 percent sales tax on alcohol sold in liquor stores in 2009.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mass Resident

Worcester, MA

#1 Jan 9, 2011
People have gone to NH for years thinking they save money. The cost of gas and the time taken to go there cancels all savings unless they are spending a lot of money. Most will do it on principle, spending in NH rather than pay taxes to MA. In the long run, they save nothing.
Dave

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Jan 9, 2011
Mass Resident wrote:
People have gone to NH for years thinking they save money. The cost of gas and the time taken to go there cancels all savings unless they are spending a lot of money. Most will do it on principle, spending in NH rather than pay taxes to MA. In the long run, they save nothing.
You're kidding, right? Taxes and the bottle bill, stock up, the savings is substantial. And yes , some do it on principle. It grosses me out to see Patricks smiling face on the tube bragging about how much they collected and spent. Yuk.
South of the Border

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Jan 9, 2011
Mass Resident wrote:
We live about 3 miles from NH store, go there regularly and the savings add up fast.
UMASSOLE

Lowell, MA

#4 Jan 9, 2011
what I save on lower prices and NO bottle deposit TAX pays for twice the amount of gas I use getting there (17 miles round trip). Every beer + liquor run I make pays for itself AND the next trip as well.
Mass Resident wrote:
Home Brew

Worcester, MA

#5 Jan 9, 2011
I make my own so I save some. I don't tip the bottle that much so most of my savings are from not drinking.I live too far from the border so I would have to spend about $250.00 to even start saving. It's just not worth the trip.
Jabberwocky1969

Leominster, MA

#6 Jan 9, 2011
it'd take me about a gallon gas to get to a NH shopping mall. So round trip I'd have to save about $6.00 .

So anything over $100 makes it worth it and then there's the time involved.

But I'm definitely motivated to inflict as much damage to the Massachusetts economy as possible. I always gas up in NH even if it more expensive.
Dave

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Jan 9, 2011
It makes no sense to go for a bottle of wine but when they run the 15% off sale it pays big to go to NH. Now they are talking about expanding the bottle bill to include water wine ect. Another tax to kill business in Mass. They just push people over the border
Deep Thinker

Fitchburg, MA

#8 Jan 9, 2011
Dave wrote:
It makes no sense to go for a bottle of wine but when they run the 15% off sale it pays big to go to NH. Now they are talking about expanding the bottle bill to include water wine ect. Another tax to kill business in Mass. They just push people over the border
Have people really gotten so lazy that they can't return bottles and cans for the deposit? I'm not that old, but I was around when returnable bottles were the norm.

Then there's the trash issued. It's surprising to see so many bottles and cans along the side of the road. I'm guessing that the number would increase greatly were there no deposit.

Has it occurred to you that it's not a "tax" (your term) if you return your empties?
NH Beer

Saint Johnsbury, VT

#9 Jan 10, 2011
You're right, people aren't running up to NH for a six pack, but I'll break down the potential savings for you. I drink Coors Light. With the 6.25% tax and deposit in MA, I was paying about $24 for a 30 pack. In NH, I pay $19. I'm saving $5 per 30 pack and I can throw my cans in the recycle bin. So if I stock up and buy six 30 packs, I save $30. I live about 15 miles from the border, so figure a gallon of gas at $3 and about half an hour of my time and I have a net savings of $27. I don't drink the stuff, but it's my understanding that the savings are even greater on hard liquor.
Mass Resident wrote:
MaMa Monkey

Charlestown, MA

#10 Jan 10, 2011
coors light sucks no matter where you buy it.
Riley Martin

United States

#11 Jan 10, 2011
Jabberwocky1969 wrote:
it'd take me about a gallon gas to get to a NH shopping mall. So round trip I'd have to save about $6.00 .
So anything over $100 makes it worth it and then there's the time involved.
But I'm definitely motivated to inflict as much damage to the Massachusetts economy as possible. I always gas up in NH even if it more expensive.
Plus gas is cheaper in NH while your there fill up your tank.
NH Beer

Saint Johnsbury, VT

#12 Jan 10, 2011
That one hurt, as I take personal pride in my beer of choice.
MaMa Monkey wrote:
coors light sucks no matter where you buy it.
MA Beer

Fitchburg, MA

#13 Jan 10, 2011
NH Beer wrote:
That one hurt, as I take personal pride in my beer of choice.
<quoted text>
Then choose a real beer, not Diet Beer. The water in some towns is stronger. Light Beer is for people that like spending a lot of time in the lavatory. I suppose you avoid a DUI drinking that watered down DIET BEER. Coors Light, I'll take water.
Flat Stanley

Claremont, NH

#14 Jan 10, 2011
Coors Light rocks!!( and only 5.99 a six pack up here in New Hampsha!)
Mike

Framingham, MA

#15 Jan 10, 2011
Deep Thinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Have people really gotten so lazy that they can't return bottles and cans for the deposit? I'm not that old, but I was around when returnable bottles were the norm.
Then there's the trash issued. It's surprising to see so many bottles and cans along the side of the road. I'm guessing that the number would increase greatly were there no deposit.
Has it occurred to you that it's not a "tax" (your term) if you return your empties?
Not a laziness issue as much as a time issue. The stores don't have enough return machines, don't empty them frequently enough, and don't keep them up to date on what brands they sell. Even if the machines are maintained properly, it's a lot of time spent for a small amount of money - to say nothing of storing the empties until you take them back. It's simpler to toss them in the recycle bin, so it's effectively a tax on many of us.
AJP

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Jan 10, 2011
My glass of merlot tastes much better tonight now that it's sales tax free!
HAH

Fitchburg, MA

#17 Jan 10, 2011
AJP wrote:
You drink merlot?
Gay Blade

Gardner, MA

#18 Jan 10, 2011
AJP wrote:
I just adore Merlot!
Gay Blade

Gardner, MA

#19 Jan 10, 2011
I also adore Marty!
Deep Thinker

Fitchburg, MA

#20 Jan 11, 2011
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a laziness issue as much as a time issue. The stores don't have enough return machines, don't empty them frequently enough, and don't keep them up to date on what brands they sell. Even if the machines are maintained properly, it's a lot of time spent for a small amount of money - to say nothing of storing the empties until you take them back. It's simpler to toss them in the recycle bin, so it's effectively a tax on many of us.
So you choose to lose the deposit because it's simpler to toss than recycle. Well, you're imposing the "tax" on yourself.

That's your choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Townsend Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kevin Lynch, Cop Hater, Liar and Nut 1 hr Tommy O 7
News Fitchburg police: Officer fired shots after sus... Wed Tell the Truth Kevin 10
Pathetic Troll Life May 24 Lolajack 67
Calling all Kevin Lynch stalkers May 24 Speak Kevin 12
News Using alternative energy to heat and cool city'... (Feb '08) May 22 Jtn 11
fbi, ethics commission release report on kevin... (Aug '13) May 22 Jerry 12
News Angry seniors lash out at mayor - Sentinel & En... (May '09) May 21 Shovel ready 169
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Townsend Mortgages