Devens solar plant to shutter - Sentinel & Enterprise

Evergreen Solar Inc. -- one of the region's largest employers -- announced Tuesday that it will close its manufacturing plant in Devens after a year of shifting its manufacturing to China. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Devens

Leominster, MA

#61 Jan 12, 2011
The Insider wrote:
It was still a good deal. They didn't actually get $58 Million. They got $58 million in tax breaks over 4.5 years so they could keep 700 and more people employed. They only had to keep the 700 employed for only 3 years under the tax break aid terms so they fullfilled their psrt. They put themselves out of business trying to cheap out on a lesser quality product because the tax break aid was coming to an end. There was no money lost from the state just the tax revenue but that made the jobs possible that would have not been there. Many high tech companies still let go of workers before their 5 year period anniversary date anyways. So most people working in these fields know the routine.
You dont think that price of the land was was extremely low? Dont forget that Evergreen was pretty much given that property No money lost? You are so wrong, They were given a check for 58 million, dumb*ss Noooooooo money lost"??????? What are you smoking?
Lynch for Mayor

South Lancaster, MA

#62 Jan 12, 2011
Scott Brown voted against a democrat proposed bill in September that would of blocked this move to China as well as others. I would like to hear Scott Browns explanation in reference to this move to China?

Republicans have obstructed every Democratic bill for the last two years! So as all American jobs go to China and India; the US is forced to borrow Billions from China in order to stimulate American consumer spending!

This is becomming the rule of the Republicans! If these COWARDS do not pass pro-American jobs bills yesterday then America is doomed! All the F-ing Republicans can think about is repealing Healthcare for all Americans! When is this F-ing foolishness going to end??

Hope,Change and anything pro-American is out the window!! Our leaders are ALL on CHINA and INDIAS payroll! I am convinced!!!! Next step is all out war with China!!! Obama is Chinas puppet as was Bush and Clinton! They have all shown allegiance to CHINA!!!!!
Stephen Wall

Plano, TX

#63 Jan 12, 2011
This is a joke at best and fraud at worst. Evergreen should be required to pay back every penny to Massachusetts. If they choose to do otherwise then the Attorney General for Worcester County should arrest the CEO and the Board of directors for fraud.
Peanut Gallery

Fitchburg, MA

#65 Jan 13, 2011
A friend of mine runs a company and is trying to make a product here in MA. it costs 5X more to make it in MA than China. An earlier poster said that if there was a product for $5 made in China and one for $7 made in the USA he'd buy the latter.

Would you pay $25 for the exact same thing?

I'm not sure what our local legislators can do to to prevent the flight of manufacturing based jobs.
We can try to put better hooks into the deals we craft, but the US is the technology incubator and China is the manufacturer.
Sonny

Gardner, MA

#66 Jan 13, 2011
This was a REPUBLISCAM!!!

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#67 Jan 13, 2011
Free international trade is not the most important issue to be considered. The problem with our trade imbalance would partially solve itself were the United States more business-friendly. American business is overburdened with taxes, regulations, and mandates. Aggressive trial lawyers raise operating costs and pose a constant existential threat. Reduction of corporate income taxes to (just for the sake of argument) 12.5% would have an immediate impact on jobs - more employees created and more returned from overseas. Tort reform would reduce by billions of dollars the wasteful overhead of excessive liability insurance.

We are attempting to compete with China with our hands tied behind our backs. Chinese workers have no rights, are paid low wages, belong to no unions that aren't government-controlled, and work in unsafe conditions. Environmental laws do not exist. Trial lawyers? Are you kidding me? Health insurance? OSHA? EEOC? I could go on and on.

The Chinese government has pulled out all of the stops to advance its economy. Meanwhile, Obama and his Progressive Apparatchiks are busy poisoning the business atmosphere in the U. S. The focus of the Republican Party should be the restoration of American domestic business, by whatever rational means necessary.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#68 Jan 13, 2011
Obama and the Dummycrats DID create 3 Million Jobs -- in China!

Instead of tackling the main problem of the economy and the high unemployment rate of more than 9%, Obama and the Demoncrats "while having total control" wasted all their power pursuing a chimera called National Health Care. They followed that up by wasting months and months of additional time and money creating a new giant bureaucracy to regulate the banking industry.
If, instead, they had balanced trade, the U.S. would have gained enough jobs to produce an additional $49.9 billion worth of goods per month. With each U.S. manufacturing worker producing approximately $10,000 worth of product each month, this production would have employed about 5 million more manufacturing workers, not to mention additional jobs from workers constructing the new factories, and not to mention the jobs providing services to the newly employed manufacturing workers.

In the meantime, Obama and his Demon-cratic Congress has been passing one new stimulus plan after another -- unpaid-for unemployment compensation, unpaid-for aid to the states, etc., etc.-- all in the vain of hope that did nothing nut stimulate global demand more effectively than domestic demand.
Stamos Mom

Gardner, MA

#69 Jan 13, 2011
I told you, he's the best. I'm as proud as punch!
Deval in Details

Las Vegas, NV

#70 Jan 13, 2011
Ahhh, clean energy. Intelligent people saw this for the scam it was when this dea was announced.

Fast forward to Cape Wind. Deval's pet project. People will be paying a premium for energy created by Cape Wind, more than what they're paying now. Cape Wind is having trouble finding buyers. Why would anyone pay more for the electricity flowing to their house just because it was generated from a windmill.
HumBug

Littleton, MA

#71 Jan 13, 2011
Peanut Gallery wrote:
A friend of mine runs a company and is trying to make a product here in MA. it costs 5X more to make it in MA than China. An earlier poster said that if there was a product for $5 made in China and one for $7 made in the USA he'd buy the latter.
Would you pay $25 for the exact same thing?
I'm not sure what our local legislators can do to to prevent the flight of manufacturing based jobs.
We can try to put better hooks into the deals we craft, but the US is the technology incubator and China is the manufacturer.
There are items that China should have a considerable cost advantage in - things like Hand-woven Rugs or Hand-carved statues that require signficant labor per unit to produce relative to the cost of the materials used. China has lots of human resources available that will work at lower wages - its a demand/supply thing.
A lot of Higher tech items, like solar panels and computer chips are really capital intensive, more so than labor intensive and the difference in costs between China and US would not be 5X the difference.
China does have an artifically low currency which distorts their cost advantage, but that will come to roost soon and will shift the cost advantage more towards the US.
JMF

Framingham, MA

#72 Jan 13, 2011
Lynch for Mayor wrote:
Scott Brown voted against a democrat proposed bill in September that would of blocked this move to China as well as others. I would like to hear Scott Browns explanation in reference to this move to China?
Republicans have obstructed every Democratic bill for the last two years! So as all American jobs go to China and India; the US is forced to borrow Billions from China in order to stimulate American consumer spending!
This is becomming the rule of the Republicans! If these COWARDS do not pass pro-American jobs bills yesterday then America is doomed! All the F-ing Republicans can think about is repealing Healthcare for all Americans! When is this F-ing foolishness going to end??
Hope,Change and anything pro-American is out the window!! Our leaders are ALL on CHINA and INDIAS payroll! I am convinced!!!! Next step is all out war with China!!! Obama is Chinas puppet as was Bush and Clinton! They have all shown allegiance to CHINA!!!!!
Obstructed? There were not enough Republicans in the house or senate to obstruct anything. That said... No party no government money should go to subsidise any business. The whole system is corrupt! Get a clue!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Townsend Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man hospitalized in Fitchburg stabbing 1 hr Tammy 2
Storm bad, but it could've been worse 5 hr BillyBob 20
New Chief of Police 23 hr Sam Snead 26
Cities, towns savoring fuel savings Jan 28 Tammy 9
Oh Kevin for where art thou? Jan 27 Jtn 5
At least 6-7 inches of snow in Fitchburg by noon Jan 26 Jtn 1
Lynch for Mayor Jan 25 BillyBob 6

Winter Storm Warning for Middlesex County was issued at January 31 at 3:23PM EST

Townsend News Video

Townsend Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Townsend People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:19 pm PST