Devens solar plant to shutter - Sentinel & Enterprise

Evergreen Solar Inc. -- one of the region's largest employers -- announced Tuesday that it will close its manufacturing plant in Devens after a year of shifting its manufacturing to China. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
help me

United States

#1 Jan 12, 2011
shocking...
Fool me once

Groton, MA

#2 Jan 12, 2011
So our tax dollars effectively subsidized their expansion in China. Do these people have allegiance to anything other than money? The state needs to hold the CEO of Evergreen accountable for this.

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#3 Jan 12, 2011
Way to go Patrick and the legislature. Try and get the $58 million back. You can't get blood from a stone.

What's next in store ?
Karen

Leominster, MA

#4 Jan 12, 2011
Massachusetts takes it in the shorts again. Not only will the Commonwealth get their money back but hundreds of jobs have been lost. Awful! Someone needs to be held accountable.
Karen

Leominster, MA

#5 Jan 12, 2011
Sorry, meant Commonwealth will not get their money back.
Stop outsourcing our jobs

United States

#6 Jan 12, 2011
The gorverment needs to start taxing these large corporate when they want to sell a product in a US which is not made in the US. No wonder we are out of work in this country. 1 trillion dollar to stimulate the economy will not help when we are moving our plant to China.
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Jan 12, 2011
If our politicians had used the millions to reduce the cost of living and doing business in Massachusetts it might have helped, instead they used it to fill peoples pockets for a return you can be sure.

Is this surprise, should'nt be, people are leaving Mass in groves, and our elected leaders still do not get it.

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#8 Jan 12, 2011
Hey it could have been worse, Patrick offered $78 million to Evergreen, they settled for $58 million.

And the CEO got a bonus also! Wonder what our local senators and state reps have to say about this ?
American Taypayer

Worcester, MA

#9 Jan 12, 2011
There is ONLY one solution to leveling the playing field with China, Tariffs for ALL goods. We are NEVER going to be able to manufacture and compete again with them as our standard of living cannot return to 1950 standards.
Let's be honest with ourselves, there isn't a single American, no matter whether they call themselves Democrat or Republican, who has any desire to go backwards and accept a lower wage or standard of living in this country anymore.
So the only solution is to TAX the hell out of those who are dumping product well below cost. Think about it, can China afford to stop selling all their cheaply made products to us? Who else is going to continue to fill all these box stores around the country with cheap electronics, toys and household goods. If you combine all the other countries in the world, we still purchase more from them. They currently need our dollars and our economy to continue to move forward for their expansion. If the money stops there will be unrest in their streets as they have to keep a billion people occupied and they can't afford to place them all in military uniform either. Their younger generation is also softer and has already gotten use to western gadgets and our way of life. It's time for both parties in congress to take a hard line and place tariffs on all Chinese made goods. Only then will you see American jobs return when it's no longer an advantage for the greedy American CEO's and Boards among us to profit by outsourcing our jobs!
DickB

Sterling, MA

#10 Jan 12, 2011
These green power sources cannot stand alone. They need to be heavily subsidized for years to come.

The country needs to transition to natural gas and off of oil until solar, wind ,batteries etc can be made for the competitive market @ 20 years or so.

Hybrids.... Where do you think you get the power when you plug it into an outlet in your house? More than likely a coal or oil fired power source.

People try to do the right thing but sometimes do not follow the money to the end of the road.
Lunenburg

Hudson, MA

#11 Jan 12, 2011
Bill Clinton got this outsourcing ball rolling but I blame the GOP just as much as they fully support shipping jobs overseas!
WoW

Athol, MA

#12 Jan 12, 2011
Sorry for all affected
DM Lyddy

Worcester, MA

#13 Jan 12, 2011
American Taxpayer - I'm with you for the tarif on Chinese goods. I am also for lowering ALL wages of the entire company's personnel so that cost per unit is lowered (company makes not as much profit) and those manufacturering jobs stay in my backyard.

My idea would require that middle & upper management salaries would take more of a reduction and the big cheeses would take a higher reduction than all levels of management.

The goal must be to keep the manufacturering jobs in the Commonwealth!
DM Lyddy

Worcester, MA

#14 Jan 12, 2011
Lunenburg,

The pols are going to allow anything to happen as they kowtow to multi-national global corporations.

But, we, the consumers, are the addicts feeding them all with our money. As long as we want to buy the cheapest dollars goods, we are part of the self-inflicted problem.

We are also the best part of a solution.
DM Lyddy

Worcester, MA

#15 Jan 12, 2011
Luther,
Like anyone that buys a lottery ticket or shoots dice at the tables, its a roll of the dice. You would take those chances too, especially with all the legal protections and conditions built into the contract.
OUR representatives with the concurrence of the majority elected executive branch took a shot. I am pretty sure that the 800 that have jobs for the last X years and their families, are grateful for that shot.
Now, we need to get OUR reps and the Executive Branch motivated to bring their magical skills of wheelin'-an-a-dealin' to bear and as the movie actor said, "Make [Evergreen] and offer they cannot refuse."
KEEP THE JOBS IN MY BACK YARD!
Kinda sings, don't it.
Rico

Leominster, MA

#16 Jan 12, 2011
It's no surprise, with 30 panels on your roof and 8 batteries in the basement you might be able to power a 40 watt light bulb. It's a sham and all about $. Now lets spend millions on windmills, oh sorry not windy today so no power.
Regional

Lunenburg, MA

#17 Jan 12, 2011
I read about this happening months ago, why are people so surprised now?
BeanCounter

Worcester, MA

#18 Jan 12, 2011
I was surprised when they announced building their plant in Devens, producing what was becoming a commodity product in MA with our high cost of doing business seemed to be ill-conceived from the get-go. It is hard for $16/hr to compete with $6/day. Well, it did serve to employ hundreds of people building the facility for a while and help our own mini-Obama tout bringing green jobs to the area. They faced a fierce battle from the beginning, and if silicon were as scarce as it were in 2008, they might have had a better cost advantage.

One poster mentioned putting tariffs on all imported goods. There is something more powerful and effective than that, and doesn't require the Govt to get involved. Vote with YOUR pocketbook. Never underestimate the collective power of the American consumer. Look at labels before you buy. If product A is made in China and costs $5 and product B costs $7 but is made in USA (or Canada or Europe where people are paid living wages and have high standards of safety and pollution control) make the 'investment' in the American made good. It it tough to find products NOT made in China in many instances, but they do exist. If 50M people shifted even $200/yr from China made junk to US products the impact would be $10 Billion of US production which would mean 1000's of jobs.

One thing the Govt could do is to rewrite the tax credits. They should make a provision that is USA made panels are used, the tax credit is the 30%, but for non-USA the tax credit is 20%. That 10% would not been seen as protectioist but give an extra bit of help to domestic producers
Here We Go Again

Gardner, MA

#19 Jan 12, 2011
This country has always been the leader in technology, science, etc. We can continue to be a leader as long as we look out for ourselves. I'm for buying made in USA. The trouble is that some people have to make a salary that is way beyond what an individual requires to love a good life. I see some of the executives and others makiing millions where the average American makes far less. American is becoming the land of the rich and the less fortunate. We never question the salaries of individuals makinig millions and that includes sports players. Try to take your family to a game and the tickets are expensive. Everybody wants big money. I'm saying to go back to the 1950s but when does all of it stop?
America and Americans need to change the attitude and way of thinking. It's not about how much money you make, what or what expensive things you do. Life is not a competitive race. Life is a human(e) race. A fair race inwhich all are equal condenders and the rules are fair for all. Time to get back to our values and what America truly stands for.
Unreal

Concord, CA

#20 Jan 12, 2011
Every dollar the taxpayers gavce these clowns should be returned, 800- hard working people screwed again

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Townsend Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jtn gets a sex change 57 min Jtn 4
Neighborhood menace - Sentinel & Enterprise (May '09) 6 hr watchdog 6
A skidding Saturday as snow hits heavier than e... (Jan '14) 12 hr Jon G 2
Jtn or lynch 12 hr Jtn 4
I love you JTn 13 hr Kim 3
New police chief announcement 13 hr Kim 3
Ebola cure 13 hr Ken 5
•••

Townsend News Video

•••