Anti-Unitil group to rally in Fitchburg - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

The group called Get Rid of Unitil is scheduled to stage a rally outside Unitil's office on John Fitch Highway Sunday at noon, on the second anniversary of the Dec.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of27
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Shaking My Head

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Judged:

I still haven't forgotten what I went through after not having electricity for 2 weeks.
Lunenburg

Chelmsford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Where is Rep. Jen Benson?

I thought she going to walk into the Governor's office and get this done.

Isn't that what she continues to tell us?
Cathy

Clinton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

The municipal choice legislation will benefit not just the Unitil region but numerous towns that are currently served by Unitil.
This legislation last session had 35 co-sponsors and had moved to the final step of making it it the Ways &Means just before the session ended.
Further it is interesting that Mr.O'Meara states Unitil has "not taken a stance on that" given that
On behalf of Unitil, O'Neill & Associates, spent $2,250 (Matthew Irish) to oppose 9 bills including the muni bill (sec.state.ma.us/LobbyistPubli cSearch/CompleteDisclosure.asp x?PeriodId=20101&RefId=901 ).
Old Townie

Sudbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Judged:

If you drive around Fitchburg, you will notice that hardly NOTHING has been upgraded since the ice storm. Many of the poles and wires placed in the '20's and '30's are still in place and waiting for the NEXT ice storm. So much for their massive infrastucture upgrades promised after the last debacle. And they are looking for rate increases? They could have at least, as a good will gesture, keep ALL the streetlights in the city lit for nothing for a couple of years in payment for the massive inconveniences and losses to the ratepayers in the city. They are completely ignorant of the feelings of MANY of their ratepayers, or more likely too ARROGANT to even care.
Lynch for Mayor

Framingham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Cathy wrote:
The municipal choice legislation will benefit not just the Unitil region but numerous towns that are currently served by Unitil.
This legislation last session had 35 co-sponsors and had moved to the final step of making it it the Ways &Means just before the session ended.
Further it is interesting that Mr.O'Meara states Unitil has "not taken a stance on that" given that
On behalf of Unitil, O'Neill & Associates, spent $2,250 (Matthew Irish) to oppose 9 bills including the muni bill (sec.state.ma.us/LobbyistPubli cSearch/CompleteDisclosure.asp x?PeriodId=20101&RefId=901 ).
Kepp plugging away Cathy! Thank you! I hope to make it to the protest! The Governor and the LT.Gov ernor will be at the seafood restaurant in Worcestor on Sunday. I hope to make the protest in Fitchburg!

I wish that you would run for office as you really seem to be a committed person! Here in Fitchburg these politicians take half stances and never follow through with things! Half measures avail nothing! The businesses in Fitch burg have been struggling with high Unitil bills making it tough for them to survive and the leases are high here also which makes it even tougher for businesses to survive!
J_in_Ward_1

Ayer, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Would be nice gesture on the streetlights, Old Townie, but not only is Unitil not paying for them (too busy funding those lobbyists and other PR folks), but they're dragging their feet on letting us buy the lights so we can operate them affordably as noted in yesterday's Sentinel. The bill this rally is in support of would help cities and towns with things like buying their streetlights as well as bigger projects like setting up their own utilities.
Argentina

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Wah Wah Wah my power was out for 2 weeks 2 years ago....Unitil sucks!

Why should Unitil sell the city the street lights they make money from them? And the city has been stupid enought to pay them all these years.

If the city wants lights then install them and tell Unitil to pound sand. It would create some jobs and leave Unitil with a useless asset (really stick it to em). I bet the cost of those lights would drop in a hurry!
Excallaber

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Ill state this one more time all we half to do is get everyone stop paying the bill through the winter and itll runn them into the ground now that they pissed everyone off any way should be easy to do amongst the towns keep the workers put in a new regime.
but we need the right people to do this Cival Action
J_in_Ward_1

Ayer, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Argentina, it's not just the storm 2 years ago - it's the fact that our local economy is suffering because we pay the highest rates around for the worst service around. I really wouldn't care about their excessive rates, excessive profits, and excessive executive compensation if I could go elsewhere for service, but I can't. The state has guaranteed Unitil a monopoly. That's why we need to change the law. I guarantee you Unitil as it operates today would not survive as a company if it had competition.
Runkachenko

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

J_in_Ward_1 wrote:
Would be nice gesture on the streetlights, Old Townie, but not only is Unitil not paying for them (too busy funding those lobbyists and other PR folks), but they're dragging their feet on letting us buy the lights so we can operate them affordably as noted in yesterday's Sentinel. The bill this rally is in support of would help cities and towns with things like buying their streetlights as well as bigger projects like setting up their own utilities.
I have a few questions, if Unitil did sell the street lights to the City of Fitchburg who would maintain them? Does the city of Fitchburg have that ablity? Is the city going to hire an outside vendor to keep the lights in working order? How is the city which can not afford to have the lights lit going to be able to purchase them? I like J's idea of generosity for the street lights, while were at it maybe we can get Market Basket to donate all of our food requirements for the Christmas holiday.
Blogenburgian

Clinton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Why does Fitchburg want to buy more outdated Unitil Lights. They should contract out the purchase of solar powered LED streetlights.
J_in_Ward_1

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Fitchburg can service their lights in house or subcontract the work out. Worcester and other cities do it and save money compared to renting the lights from the utility company. And if Worcester which has National Grid makes out on the deal by doing it themselves, how much better off will we be since Unitil's rates are much higher than National Grid's? As to donating streetlight services, it would impress me a lot more than Unitil running ads (in newspapers, Johnny Appleseed visitor's guide, etc.) saying how wonderful they are. Market Basket does give back to the community in many ways, not least of which is providing many local jobs in two different stores in the area, unlike Unitil which turned the John Fitch building into basically a shell when the bought FG&E and moved most of their functions up to NH.
J_in_Ward_1

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

That's two different stores in Fitchburg alone, as well as others in the area.
Lynch for Mayor

Framingham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

The idea of purchasing new poles and LED lights is worth looking into!

I am surprised that Unitil hasn't made a gesture toawrds all their customers in Fitchburg by covering the cost of all the city lights for Fitchburg for the next two years!

Has the Mayor even suggested such a good natured gesture from Unitil? The business owners need a huge break in this area as their cost are extremely high!

Unitil needs to fix the bent poles before they fall and kill someone! There is one on Cedar street that is ready to fall! I agree that Unitil has left the building on John Fitch empty!

Our leaders need to stand tall! All these half measures avail us nothing, we must follow through with things that we have started! Why Fitchburg doesn't look into it's own utility is beyond me?

Unitil does operate as a Monopoly! This is why the rate has to be ok'd by the DPU. Why they are the highest in the state is beyond me as this is the main focus of the Monopoly law and that is to protect the consumer against such high rates!
nomame

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

what good is protest on sunday no one will be there
Shaking My Head

Fitchburg, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Argentina wrote:
Wah Wah Wah my power was out for 2 weeks 2 years ago....Unitil sucks!
Why should Unitil sell the city the street lights they make money from them? And the city has been stupid enought to pay them all these years.
If the city wants lights then install them and tell Unitil to pound sand. It would create some jobs and leave Unitil with a useless asset (really stick it to em). I bet the cost of those lights would drop in a hurry!
You're an idiot, plan and simple.
Marie in the Burg

Stockbridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Lynch for Mayor wrote:
I am surprised that Unitil hasn't made a gesture toawrds all their customers in Fitchburg by covering the cost of all the city lights for Fitchburg for the next two years!

Why they are the highest in the state is beyond me as this is the main focus of the Monopoly law and that is to protect the consumer against such high rates!
First, Unitil is only concerned about lining their pockets. They have proven time and time again that they don't care about their customers needs, so I don't ever see any good will gestures coming from them.
And, not only
Marie in the Burg

Stockbridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

oops... the rest of that post should read:
And, not only do they have the highest rates in the state, but some of the highest rates in the entire country. As many have already stated, as long as they are permitted to operate a monopoly we are stuck with them raking us over the coals unless we all get our own generators and/or wind turbines.
MSA

Reading, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

To everyone who shows up at this Unitil protest this coming Sunday: Make note of what politicians show up (if any show up at all) to support the cause. It looks as though Rep Dinitale will probably show, as he represents Fitchburg. The question is how about Rep Benson and Sen Flanagan?? Remember: Former Sen Antonioni is a friend of Flanagan's and also a friend of FSU Pres Antonuuci. Antonioni babbled his gums for years about Unitil and did nothing about it, the area is still stuck with them. Antonioni and Flanagan both live in Leominster which is fortunate NOT to be stuck with Unitil and their high rates/poor service.
Blogenburgian

Clinton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Rep Benson, Sen Flanagan, Former Sen Antonioni and FSU Pres Antonuuci are Unitil. Antonioni is on their Board of Directors and gets a healthy salary for it, Flanagan and Antonioni are on Unitils Lobbiest receipts and Benson is still manuvering for a check following the Eldridge handbook.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of27
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Townsend Discussions

Search the Townsend Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Border line ttruth 56 min IDK 3
Kids get advice on handling bullies - Sentinel ... (Oct '09) 15 hr yow 6
Lincoln street=Jtn 15 hr Karen 1
I love you JTn 16 hr Karen 1
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Sun Wared Out 1,146
Will Jtn ever post an Intelligent comment in th... Sat The True Story 27
Solicitor: FSU bid to convert arena no good Sat Karen 2
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Middlesex County was issued at July 14 at 11:04AM EDT

•••
•••

Townsend News Video

•••
•••

Townsend Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000