North Middlesex student charged in harassment

There are 30 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Dec 23, 2010, titled North Middlesex student charged in harassment. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

An 18-year-old North Middlesex Regional High School student is facing civil-rights charges after he allegedly made anti-Semitic remarks to a Jewish classmate and drew a swastika on her locker.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HEIL

Lowell, MA

#1 Dec 23, 2010
DAS IST JUDEN!!
local observer

Dracut, MA

#2 Dec 23, 2010
welcome muslims and merry christmas!
disappointed

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Dec 23, 2010
October 27th this occurred and this is just being taken care of now? This school system is ridiculous. Maureen Marshall should leave before she does more damage.
response

Haverhill, MA

#4 Dec 23, 2010
The kids in this school need to start using their cell phones to video these incidents.

I question why there is so much sympathy for person who was arraigned and not for the victim?
Sue Mack

Worcester, MA

#5 Dec 23, 2010
To the guy who wrote the first comment I would love to meet you in person and give you a Hebrew lesson you son of a bitch.
How is it that a wonderful town like Townsend would have Nazi in it.
I hope that Maureen Marshall finds her way back to the rock she crawled out from under.
I prey that the Jewish girl and her family can some how overcome this hateful event, and know that the rest of Townsend is behind you and supports
all races and choices of religion.
Outraged Citizen

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Dec 23, 2010
The superintendent of schools clearly does not understand the gravity of this situation. The following quote from Maureen Marshall is ignorant and bizarre: "It's a sad time for some students in our school as a result of this," Superintendent Maureen Marshall said Wednesday afternoon. "I'm sure it's a difficult time for the student who was arraigned." The student who was arraigned drew a swastika on another person's locker and pleaded NOT guilty for having done it. Maureen Marshall needs to get her priorities straight and handle this potentially, soon to be highly publicized event in a responsible manner. Siding with a neo-Nazi will do nothing for her career or for the children she is responsible for.
Kris Oser

Milford, CT

#7 Dec 23, 2010
I am Falisha Oser's aunt. She knows she is ethnically Jewish because my family worships as Jews and identify ourselves as Jews. I was raised Christian but converted to Judaism. When our family emigrated to Boston from England in the late 1800s, they pretended not to be Jews because of anti-Semitism. It took two generations, but I have righted that wrong. My niece and my children, Amalia and Katya, are proud of who they are. We refuse to be ashamed. But how much has really changed from my great-grandfather's day?
I support Mr. Heins' right to hate whomever he wishes. It's a free country. But he is not allowed to break the law. I hope that this experience will cause him in future to keep his hateful and violent feelings private.
I am grateful for Ms. Mack's comment and know that the good people of Townsend will continue to follow her expression of tolerance.
I plead with you Superintendant Marshall that you and the school administrators and board members use this event as a teachable moment. Who among us cannot learn something more about tolerance, racism, anti-Semitism and all the isms that diminish the greatness of our fine nation? There are wonderful speakers from B'Nai B'rith, the Southern Poverty Law Center and other organizations, which exist to encourage tolerance, who would be delighted to speak at your school and help all the young people to learn from this experience. Demonstrate with your words and your actions, Ms. Marshall that hatred and violence in all forms should not be tolerated, that all children are equal under the law, and the victim as well as the alleged attacker are deserving of empathy.
The children look to us adults to see what is right, as your teachers, administrators and board members look to you. Please set an example of righteousness and tolerance.
Alan Koller

Norwalk, CT

#8 Dec 23, 2010
To all those who hate. You do so at your peril. There is something distinct about each of us. Imagine being hated simply because of a single point of distinction. Your skin has a certain color. Your family prays according to a certain religion. Your ancestors come from a different country. Your parents don't make very much money and you are lower on the socio-economic ladder than some of your peers. Do you worry that you could be hated simply for one of these reasons? Do you lash out at others so that you will not be singled out? Hatred cannot be so easily controlled. The way you hate others can come back around to you. Is that something you would be comfortable with? Think about it.
Agreed

Chelmsford, MA

#9 Dec 23, 2010
I agree with you completely. I was disturbed by the quotes from school staff members also.
Outraged Citizen wrote:
The superintendent of schools clearly does not understand the gravity of this situation. The following quote from Maureen Marshall is ignorant and bizarre: "It's a sad time for some students in our school as a result of this," Superintendent Maureen Marshall said Wednesday afternoon. "I'm sure it's a difficult time for the student who was arraigned." The student who was arraigned drew a swastika on another person's locker and pleaded NOT guilty for having done it. Maureen Marshall needs to get her priorities straight and handle this potentially, soon to be highly publicized event in a responsible manner. Siding with a neo-Nazi will do nothing for her career or for the children she is responsible for.
Agreed

Chelmsford, MA

#10 Dec 23, 2010
I'm so happy this student has a supportive family behind her. I'm also pleased that they are no longer willing to allow the bully to continue to bother her. They definitely needed to get the police involved.
Alan Koller

Norwalk, CT

#11 Dec 23, 2010
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

All that is necessary for our children to learn to hate other human beings is for them to see us do the same.

What are you teaching your children?
Wow

Groton, MA

#12 Dec 23, 2010
Wow. Remember innocent until proven guilty still applies in the US. The interesting thing in this case is that the student's parents are never mentioned. The accused probably comes from a family where values are not taught. It's not about a religion, that is an excuse. It is one who is trying to degrade another individual. Very really do you find someone that hates a religion in this type of case. This is probably a kid with very low self confidence and limited adult direction, that was typing to show off in front of his pairs.

Then everyone will start saying that they have a Jewish hate group at the school. This will only promote copycat reactions from students looking for attention.

Beavis and Butthead

Pepperell, MA

#13 Dec 23, 2010
Outraged Citizen wrote:
Dude, like uh you don't get it. School board chairman Arnie thinks Dr. Marshall is brilliant.
boy needs help

Pepperell, MA

#14 Dec 23, 2010
Jimmy heins is a very disturbed kid. He needs serious help. If he continues to follow the beliefs of his family and act out in this manner, he will end up in jail. It is so unfortunate that a young Jewish woman has to be victim to his ignorance and twisted beliefs. I hope he gets the help or punishment he needs and that she has the support she needs so that she can move on from this.
Nothing Changes

Gardner, MA

#15 Dec 24, 2010
North Middlesex has a long, long history of tolerating this type of behavior and of treating the victim like the perpetrator. Parents who complain are often told they have to produce proof of their child's complaint (and these types of situations rarely leave "hard" proof, something the school administrators know all too well.) And in the meantime the other student's are kept informed step by step of what is going on, so they can let the victim know they're aware and at least give the impression that the admin is not with the kid. The administrators know this, after years of practice, and usually the problem "goes away" or "resolves itself."
The VAST majority of NM kids are great, but the moral cowardice of the district administrators shown over the years winds up tarnishing all of them.
As for the idiot racist fool at the top of this column, go back to school and learn both some history and actual German. It's just sad when someone can't speak in complete sentences in two languages or know the history of who they admire and who they hate.
Dito

Pepperell, MA

#16 Dec 25, 2010
Agreed wrote:
I agree with you completely. I was disturbed by the quotes from school staff members also. <quoted text>
Dito! This harassment has been going on for 2 years. Hopefully this will be over for this young lady. I would like to know if this was reported to anyone in the school prior to this latest incident.
Two sides

Pepperell, MA

#17 Dec 26, 2010
I am betting that Dr. Marshall said something about her sympathy for the girl that the reporter chose not to print. The only reason the supt feels sad for the boy is that he is a special ed student with some serious issues. But school isnt allowed to say that for confidentiality.

Look there is no excuse for terrorizing this poor girl, and they should have handled it better. But it would have only taken a quick check or 2 seconds with Jimmy and it is not a secret that Jimmy is a different kind of kid. That makes a difference in the story and really should have been reported.
wow

Groton, MA

#18 Dec 26, 2010
Like I said, I think I hit the nail on the head. I do not know anyone involved, I just know there are very few high school students that are racist to act out. This child probably would have attack an overweight, socially off child or anyone that does not seem main stream. Liberals and other people want to say there are a bunch of Nazi's at the school. Wake up America. Focus on the bigger problems.
Who are you

Chelmsford, MA

#19 Dec 26, 2010
Who are you to break the confidentiality you speak of. It is easy enough to track who left these posts. His family could come after you for what you have posted here. It doesn't matter how you feel about what should have been reported.
Two sides wrote:
I am betting that Dr. Marshall said something about her sympathy for the girl that the reporter chose not to print. The only reason the supt feels sad for the boy is that he is a special ed student with some serious issues. But school isnt allowed to say that for confidentiality.
Look there is no excuse for terrorizing this poor girl, and they should have handled it better. But it would have only taken a quick check or 2 seconds with Jimmy and it is not a secret that Jimmy is a different kind of kid. That makes a difference in the story and really should have been reported.
Needs Help Really

Pepperell, MA

#20 Dec 26, 2010
boy needs help wrote:
Jimmy heins is a very disturbed kid. He needs serious help. If he continues to follow the beliefs of his family and act out in this manner, he will end up in jail. It is so unfortunate that a young Jewish woman has to be victim to his ignorance and twisted beliefs. I hope he gets the help or punishment he needs and that she has the support she needs so that she can move on from this.
You should not be breaching confidential information. I'm not sure the extent of this young man's disability, but he is 18 years old and as far as we know has not been found incompetent, so he needs to be responsible for his own actions. There are plenty of educationally challenged people who are not hateful and know right from wrong.If Jimmy is disturbed maybe he should be getting the help he needs somewhere else. I thought integrating students was best for everyone???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Townsend Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lapidus will make $235G as FSU head 12 hr sally 2
Poll Where is Kevin Lynch? (Nov '14) Sat Hey dum dum 65
Lynch Fest 2015 Sat Civil Servant Sup... 15
Review: Fitchburg Tattoo Co (Apr '10) Fri insider 29
News At Fitchburg State, a dream with every diploma May 20 Tammy 2
News Here to report on the good and the bad May 20 Devils Advocate 2
Tsarnaev verdict May 18 Jim 4
More from around the web

Townsend People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE