Growing up in Glasgow Village
twins of glasgow 1970

Saint Louis, MO

#21 Feb 20, 2010
loved it there, had many good times with friends at st.pius X, we lived right behidn school. remember sledding down those hills, did everyone creek walk??? many good times. would like to get in touch with some old friends. you can contact me at [email protected]
I grew up playing soccer in the circle, still play soccer and are actually looking for team players. girls 25+, in granite city, soccer for fun
take care all, and nver foget the memories!
RVIEW

United States

#22 Feb 22, 2010
I grew up in Bellfountain Neighbors, but like most kids adventured all over the area! My mom grew up 3 blocks away from where we lived, and I graduated in 99' but I always heard about what the area was like when she was a child. Even as I was growing up it wasnt as bad as it is now!It makes me sad to see how things have changed!! We used to frequent Northland Shopping center, River Roads and of course Jamestown(exspecially to stop and have a malt from WAG's) I remember leaving campus in HS to go have lunch at a resturant in the Spring Garden shopping center that had the BEST burgers and fries, and the bowling alley on bellefountain and st. cyr. as a teenager we used to hang out at the parking lot on R-view dr. or at what we called teardrop. I have soo many good memories growing up there that I will forever hold on to and I'm glad that even though it might have been a diffent time many others remember like it use to be! Whether you agree or not that the area has gotten bad. We should all agree that it's not at all what it used to be! Keep sharing your memories I love reading them!
vicki

Bruner, MO

#23 Apr 20, 2010
does anyone know the site to glasgow village friends? also devo must have been my neighbor, i was at 175. glasgow village was a wonderful place to grow up i miss it terribly
tina glosick

Haubstadt, IN

#24 Jul 17, 2010
I lived at 112 Dundee cir from 1976 til 1981, I went to highand, and riverview east.It was a great place then.My parents turned us out for Halloween and we trick or treated safely until 1am or so,its an awesome memory,I dont even let my kids trick or treat on their own.My dad was transferred with Corvette GM to bowling green,ky.(where I still reside)I have such fond memories, of the streets,bicycling,holoween,dee p snows,my above ground swimming pool,friends and neighbors,look out point,old chain of rocks,the shopping center and cusamanos pizza..mmm been years but I still remember it as the best pizza I ever ate!i went back a few years ago, and was disappointed at how run down everthing was,but my house still looked ok-it still had the striped door.lol.Its so sad to see things change when you go back,good or bad,I wonder if anyone I knew is still living there!Seems like we knew everyone back then,what a great memory it has turned out to be, if you all know me... I miss ya! and would love to hear from ya. [email protected] or facebook is better at this time.lol.. love to recapture some of those old memories.......trying to remember teachers names, ms dietrich, ms neal?? would love to know who still is and is not...
kimatha shelton

United States

#25 Jul 24, 2010
i moved in the glasgow area 7 years ago and over the years i have watch the glasgow village shopping center slowly deteriate and become an eye sore to the community. does anyone have any suggestion as what can be done beside tearing it down. or who can i complain to to make whoever owns it start revonating.
ljb

United States

#26 Feb 2, 2011
What a great site! I grew up (1975-1995) on Lookaway and have great memories of riding my bike to school at St. Pius and going to Cusamano's and the Little Sandwich Shop with my friends. St. Pius's school picnics used to be at the Chain of Rocks park, but I think it closed in the 70's sometime. We used to ride bikes and walk just about everywhere and loved it. We would go sledding on Scott's Hill on Lookaway. I still drive up along Lookaway and down Shepley sometimes, but I don't know anyone living there anymore. My mom still lives there, but she's looking to switch to an apartment soon.
vicki

Plattsburg, MO

#27 Nov 9, 2011
i take offense to you saying that houses werent maintained, and that the shopping center was going down in the 60's, you know not of what you speak, everyone took pride in their homes and their village. in the 60's, most of the homes in glasgow village were less than 10 years old! our house on brigadoon was built in november of 1955, i was born a few weeks after we moved in, so mom always joked that she bought a house for me when i was born. remember the g.v.i.a.???(glasgow village improvement association??? remember the picnics and the the glasgow village king and queen? what about the parades? from school to chain of rocks, dont get me wrong, when i grew up there, there were a few bullies, just that, bullies... no guns, shoot i remember a few times when people got into fist fights, it was a big deal to take a few punches! forgot about violence and guns, to the person named joyce, do you have a sister named janet? if so i believe i remember skinny-dipping with her and kathy harden at the country-club, but ssssshhhh dont tell anyone its a secret!
Once upon a time

Bethel, AK

#28 Mar 4, 2012
I too attended Glasgow Elementary and have fond memories of some of my teachers there. Mrs. Durbin, Ms. Perry, Mrs. Lang, Ms. O'Neal, etc. Mr. Stugeous was the Principal. I lived on Shepley Dr. across from RHS and walked to school every day. I was not allowed to walk alone most of the time and there was crime then as I remember my mom sleeping with a gun under her pillow. My siblings worked at Chain O'Rocks Park and I remember our school (Glasgow Elementary) hikes there every year on the last day of school. My friends attended St. Pious the X church school and our GS Troop Christmas caroled in front of the store at Glasgow Village for Unicef every year. I attended East Jr. High and all the neighbors on Toelle Rd. seemed to look out for us. Change is always difficult-the last I was there the area had grown since the 70's when I left- and it is amazing how many homes are for sale.
molly

United States

#29 Mar 9, 2012
Im 19 but i lived in glasgow village from when i was born till i was seven(1992-1999). We moved cause it got so bad. I used to be able to walk to school (st.catherine) ride my bike down the big hill to the candy shop and everyone knew everyone. I used to go to the candy shpp then go over to the firehouse and talk to the fireman. We had a fort built at the end of our court(valley dr). I miss it
mikey

Saint Peters, MO

#30 Apr 6, 2012
Glasgowite wrote:
Yes it was the best of times, I grew up on Lanark in the 50s and 60s. Glasgow was a wonderful, idylic and SAFE place for a kid, we left the house on our bikes in the morning and came home for dinner. Played in the New Park and the Old Park, rode to the store, played kickball outside in the street, chased the ice cream man and got many a scrape from falling out of trees and off of our homemade hot rods! Where's my skate key???
i grew up on lanark from 83-97 my address was 413 jus courious what your address was?
Bassattacker2112

Athens, GA

#31 May 2, 2012
I lived in Glasgow from 1958 to 1980 when I entered the service.Attended Highland Elementary school,was in Boy Scout Troop 470,and my Father owned the True Value Hardware in Glasgow Village Shopping Center.......... Do You Know Me?
Denise

Lawrenceville, GA

#32 Oct 13, 2012
I also grew up in Glasgow on Prestwick. My older brother and I talk about it often. It was a magical place to grow up and have many memories. There was never a lack of kids to play with. We lived on the cul de sac and just had to walk outside to play wiffle ball, kickball or hopscotch. Evening were spent paying it or catching lightening bugs to take to Chain of Rocks amusement park to exchange them for tickets for rides. Spent a lot of time at that park. I went back a couple of years ago and was reduced to tears witnessing the homes growing old, St. Pius being closed and the park had disappeared.
Diane

Los Angeles, CA

#33 Dec 9, 2012
Stumbled onto this forum. Took me down memory lane- catching crawdads- yeah! Our family lived at 341 Midlothian. Diane and David (we are 60 and 61 now). My fondest childhood memories at Glasgow Village! I still have lots of photos of our home. Remember decorating our bikes on Memorial Day and riding in a parade to Chain of Rocks Park?
One of my fantasies is to win the lottery big - then buy back all the properties in Glasgow; then build me a mansion at our original address. Put up a fortress, complete with security 24/7.
I rode through there about 16 years ago. So sad!
Considering Glasgow

United States

#34 Jan 5, 2013
Hi,

Anymore current residents of Glasgow? How it's the area now?
prc

Madison, TN

#35 Jan 7, 2013
This is amazing-if you provide facts; you are considered nuts; the problem is--no-one wants to accept the truth or actual facts that support statements.
prc

Madison, TN

#36 Jan 7, 2013
Considering Glasgow wrote:
Hi,
Anymore current residents of Glasgow? How it's the area now?
Yes, I do; housing is very reasonable; police are handling issues very well; same incidents occurring in multiple communities; can purchase a home for $15,000.00 and less; well built homes.
Cornholer

Festus, MO

#37 Jan 7, 2013
I am the badest of the badest who ever walked the streets of the Village. A five time state wrestling champion at Riverview Gardens. I was the Pope of Glasgow Village, Rosary, SLUH, McBride, and all those candy cris cross boys feared me.

Bix? You hear me? I'm after you still, Fisher boys, Votaws, I'm still here.....

I could ride my motorcycle to Granite City from Sheply and Lilac and never have a cop catch me....

I taught the Paulsen family how to wrestle

A guy named CAVEMAN tried to be a fullback in HS, I took him out with my first tackle.....

Bob Dotson, Gary Schnurger, Pelley, thought they were fast runners. I beat them all running backwards to their forward....

Yep, I am the badest their ever was in Glasgow....

Castle Point boys even bowed to me ..... while Glasgow boys peed their panties...
Cornholer

Festus, MO

#38 Jan 7, 2013
Sherman Homes built good?

What planet are you from? Those homes were pre-fabed and without insulation, 1/4 drywall inside, cheap shoddy siding outside, cracker box homes. Even the concrete foundations were poured before codes and mixed with saw dust and other unknown materials. The floor joist are split and not continous. The roofs were laid with 3/8 ply.

They cost $11,000 brand new in 1960 at the last stages completed, Lilac area.

The only thing ever built cheaper was one of those mobile homes built in St. Charles by Bropff's
Lilacbruser

East Saint Louis, IL

#39 Jan 27, 2013
Hahahhahhahhaa
Cornholer wrote:
I am the badest of the badest who ever walked the streets of the Village. A five time state wrestling champion at Riverview Gardens. I was the Pope of Glasgow Village, Rosary, SLUH, McBride, and all those candy cris cross boys feared me.
Bix? You hear me? I'm after you still, Fisher boys, Votaws, I'm still here.....
I could ride my motorcycle to Granite City from Sheply and Lilac and never have a cop catch me....
I taught the Paulsen family how to wrestle
A guy named CAVEMAN tried to be a fullback in HS, I took him out with my first tackle.....
Bob Dotson, Gary Schnurger, Pelley, thought they were fast runners. I beat them all running backwards to their forward....
Yep, I am the badest their ever was in Glasgow....
Castle Point boys even bowed to me ..... while Glasgow boys peed their panties...
Back to the Village

United States

#40 Feb 12, 2013
Spring Garden was the street I was on when shot at you dumb f**k.....
jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
I live on spring garden and have for years its very hard to beleive
your car was shot at its not like that the people that got the easy loans on their houses are gone my street is fine stop painting the wrong picture and yes gun shots are not common you
dont live their their are still some people that like to live
their yes i am white their are not people with guns on the corner
people like you fucked up glasgow

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tower Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Black Lives Matter* (Oct '15) 23 hr hmmmm 2,062
YES Man Seminar at Peabody Sat Terrance 10
News Ferguson still struggling with racial bias Sat White Chick 13
Affordable Lawn Care Chris H Fri Guest 51
News Minority contractors group sues Metro (Apr '10) Apr '10 NiteClerk 1
News Review Preview: Phuc Loi (Jan '10) Jan '10 Tracy7_s 1

Tower Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tower Grove Mortgages