Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2008

Judged:

My parents have photos of our home on Prestwick Drive being built ... around 1953 or '54 ... my mom and my sister and I standing on the porch of our newly finished, yet to be sodded "estate."

Growing up in Glasgow Village was wonderful! A safe place to play with scores of children ... school grounds and playgrounds galore!... little automobile traffic made bicycling the safe and best way to get around ... I attended Glasgow Elementary School and then Riverview East Junior High School before our family moved ... I have the fondest memories growing up there ... the Ben Franklin and Tom Boy stores ... the Rexall Drug store at the corner of the shopping center ... Halloween netted the largest haul of candy you ever saw!... only wish my children would have had a similar area to experience the delights of childhood.
ohitcouldbe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2008

Judged:

ohhhhhhhhhh sure isn't like that now, you wouldn't wanna be anywhere near there.
Iwuzthere

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2008

Judged:

Everything changes with time. Sometimes for better, but not always. I grew up in Glasgow Village. Moved into our home in 1951 or 52. We were happy there. In retrospect I realize it was a magical, unique place in time. I lived there until I left for college. It has changed, but for those who grew up during the fifties and sixties, we will always have it the way it was, in our memories.
Glasgowite

Fenton, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

Judged:

Yes it was the best of times, I grew up on Lanark in the 50s and 60s. Glasgow was a wonderful, idylic and SAFE place for a kid, we left the house on our bikes in the morning and came home for dinner. Played in the New Park and the Old Park, rode to the store, played kickball outside in the street, chased the ice cream man and got many a scrape from falling out of trees and off of our homemade hot rods! Where's my skate key???
Backagain

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2008

Judged:

Our family moved into our brand new home on Glen Garry in May of 1955. My brother left in the late 60's when he got married and I left in '70 when I got married. My brother ended up on the West coast and I ended up on the East coast. Ironically, we are both back in Glasgow Village! He is living in the house that our parents bought in '55 and I am living with my husband of 2 yrs on Shepley where he & his wife and children moved back to in the 70's. Yes, it was great growing up here! It is sad to see how things have changed and sad to feel like an outsider in my old neighborhood. The houses are still sturdy and good places for a young family, but the neighborhood is not longer safe. We hope to move, but our house has been on the market for over a year with no success. Shepley is still one of the better streets to live on and we have good neighbors. So, all we can do is wait and hope the market improves! But, we still have good memories from growing and still have contacts from that time.
SUSAN JOYCE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2008

Judged:

I LOVED GROWING UP IN GLASGOW VILLAGE ALOT OF MEMORYS. SNEAKING OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND GOING POOL HOPING WAS GREAT! JUST TO BE OUT WITHOUT BE AFRAID OF ANYTHING. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE COUNTRY CLUB,ARE THE HORSE SHOW? I LIVED ON GLEN GARRY. I RECENTLY MOVED BACK WHAT A BAD DECISSION!
karen

Hazelwood, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2008

DeeDee wrote:
My parents have photos of our home on Prestwick Drive being built ... around 1953 or '54 ... my mom and my sister and I standing on the porch of our newly finished, yet to be sodded "estate."
Growing up in Glasgow Village was wonderful! A safe place to play with scores of children ... school grounds and playgrounds galore!... little automobile traffic made bicycling the safe and best way to get around ... I attended Glasgow Elementary School and then Riverview East Junior High School before our family moved ... I have the fondest memories growing up there ... the Ben Franklin and Tom Boy stores ... the Rexall Drug store at the corner of the shopping center ... Halloween netted the largest haul of candy you ever saw!... only wish my children would have had a similar area to experience the delights of childhood.
I grew up on Midlothian, when did you attend Glasgow and East?
DeVo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2008

Judged:

SUSAN JOYCE wrote:
I LOVED GROWING UP IN GLASGOW VILLAGE ALOT OF MEMORYS. SNEAKING OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND GOING POOL HOPING WAS GREAT! JUST TO BE OUT WITHOUT BE AFRAID OF ANYTHING. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE COUNTRY CLUB,ARE THE HORSE SHOW? I LIVED ON GLEN GARRY. I RECENTLY MOVED BACK WHAT A BAD DECISSION!
Our family lived on Brigadoon Circle - the country club was right out our back fence - we were there all the time! My sis had her wedding reception there when it was in it's prime. I took riding lessons down there also. Really sad to go back - it just fell apart. We all went to Highland Elementary and East Jr High. My 1st job was at chain of rocks park - that place was a landmark. We only know a few people who still live there - kind of scarey now - I almost hate to go back - I want to remember all the good times we had there - it was the best!
Penny

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2008

Judged:

I live in Glasgow Village on Brigadoon Circle on the corner. We have been here now 21 years. I raised 4 kids here. We have made some really good freinds living here. It is really sad to see how this neighborhood has gone down. I remember when I bought my house I couldnt wait to live here. I had always wanted to live in Glasgow. Now I can't wait for the day that I will be able to move.
We used to sit outside at night with all the neighbors and talk for hours. We just had our van stolen from in front of the house in broad day light a few weeks ago. 2nd car that was stolen here. I used to walk around the neighborhood. Not anymore. It's just not safe. Sad.
Jonell

Concord, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2008

Judged:

I moved with my parents to our new home on Renfrew Dr. in 1954. We lived there 3 years before my dad got a job in another state. It was a special time in my life--a wonderful, safe place for children. I, too, remember Ben Franklin, Chain of Rocks park, Glasgow Village elementary, which was just a block or two from our house. I walked to school and came home for lunch. My best friend, who lived on the corner of Shepley and Renfrew, and I rode our bikes everywhere. Halloween was indeed great fun. I have such fond memories of Glasgow Village.
Ken

Wentzville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

karen wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up on Midlothian, when did you attend Glasgow and East?
I grew up on Midlothian 400 block, went to St. Pius in the mid to late 50's
Back to the Village

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

Judged:

I also grew up in Glasgow Village in the 60's & 70's on Glen Garry. It was a great place to live back then. I returned to the Village in 2002. It is no longer a great (or safe) place to live. Gun shots are common and I have even been shot at while driving in my car. Glasgow Village is now just like 90% of North St. Louis County.
dave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2009

Judged:

its time to revolt
Sue

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2009

I grew up in the Village too, my Mom still lives there. Shame what has happened to the neighborhood. Maybe we should all move back there, there are certainly enough homes for sale, we could take it back. Make it safe for the kids. I still want to ride my bike and roller skate down the street, and goind sledding on the hill in the park. I miss it.
JohnM

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

Got nostalgic and found this great site. My parents bought our new home on Glen Garry in 1955 and left when I graduated from Rolla in 1975. It was a wonderful place to grow up. Remember little league baseball on the 4-Diamonds, boy scout troop 470, walks down Fry Lane to catch crawdads in the creek and visit the old graveyard with headstone dates in the 1800s.I live in TX now and have never been back. Sorry to hear of the current state of affairs.
prc

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

Backagain wrote:
Our family moved into our brand new home on Glen Garry in May of 1955. My brother left in the late 60's when he got married and I left in '70 when I got married. My brother ended up on the West coast and I ended up on the East coast. Ironically, we are both back in Glasgow Village! He is living in the house that our parents bought in '55 and I am living with my husband of 2 yrs on Shepley where he & his wife and children moved back to in the 70's. Yes, it was great growing up here! It is sad to see how things have changed and sad to feel like an outsider in my old neighborhood. The houses are still sturdy and good places for a young family, but the neighborhood is not longer safe. We hope to move, but our house has been on the market for over a year with no success. Shepley is still one of the better streets to live on and we have good neighbors. So, all we can do is wait and hope the market improves! But, we still have good memories from growing and still have contacts from that time.
There is not one place safe to live today; and everyone that moved left their house a mess with no updates and repairs; sold their house for big money; actually the Glasgow homes are much safer today; and this crime was transpiring already plus Glawsgow has always been full of drugs.
prc

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

Listen up; everyone from Glasgow-Remember the drug wall at Riverview and the Cat Walk. There has always been issues between robbies and drugs.
1968/69-14 robbies on Shepley.

Now, Glasgow homes were unsafe for anyone to live in and we risk our lives since we were children; we did not know; since the vast majority of parents did not invest in improvements; only afew homes did.

Also, individuals that sold their homes for big money, should have not had a dime; repairs were costly for the next family.

Now, families can live in comfort since the investor are fixing the problem for those families who left and made money.

Glasgow is safe; we just have more children in one home so that increases the numbers; and we are an adverse community; so people are people.

Their were gangs in our community- what would you call the Jocs or Jockites. And bullies this district at that time had too many male and females all ages; I have many examples so take off your blinders.

The shopping center is a mess; but it then due to lack of maintaining and that's what others did with their homes; but taken along time to override mis-maintained homes at least 30/40 years and the investors are doing it and afew of the others who stayed.

Remember the shopping already had issues back in the late's 60's; why do you think all businesses left the shopping center; then it was sold-down hill- they made money. Their will be something else to repace it and better than when we went to the store. I am 52 year of age.
Mike J

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2009

Judged:

Moved to Glasgow in summer of '55 on Roderick Dr. The drug store and Tom-Boys I remember well and both were easy to reach by bike. In later years, came Tony's Italian deli and Bonnie Boys. My mom used to take me to Bettendorf's store by the HF Circle. Had the occasion to re-visit a few years back for my 40th class reunion from RGHS. Some of it has changed but some things are exactly the same. Anybody remember Khoury League off Chambers Rd? I attended Glasgow Elem, Riverview Elem (no room at GE), RG Junior High on Chambers Rd, RGHS and UMSL. prc is correct. There were gangs around then too and alot of really tough guys. All things considered, though, it was a nice place to grow up. I fondly remember it.
jimbo

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

Judged:

Back to the Village wrote:
I also grew up in Glasgow Village in the 60's & 70's on Glen Garry. It was a great place to live back then. I returned to the Village in 2002. It is no longer a great (or safe) place to live. Gun shots are common and I have even been shot at while driving in my car. Glasgow Village is now just like 90% of North St. Louis County.
I live on spring garden and have for years its very hard to beleive
your car was shot at its not like that the people that got the easy loans on their houses are gone my street is fine stop painting the wrong picture and yes gun shots are not common you
dont live their their are still some people that like to live
their yes i am white their are not people with guns on the corner
people like you fucked up glasgow
prc

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

jimbo-I am very glad you voiced your opinion; our homes are well buildt and safe; as far as the kids, hey this happens everywhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of57
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Tower Grove Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Tower Grove People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance