Dispute Over Inmate's Death in Pine Lawn

Full story: Fox2Now 36
A mother in North St. Louis County is crying out for justice after her son dies in a Pine Lawn jail cell. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
walter wilson

Florissant, MO

#1 Sep 2, 2009
there is a lot of strange stuff going on in the pinelawn police department,the should be investigated by the FBI and other federal agencies.
lewisakadoon

United States

#2 Sep 2, 2009
Are you serious? My heart goes out to his family. The city of pinelawn has the most corrupt officers and staff in the entire city of st. louis. There is no way that a person can hang themself in one of those holding cells without some assistance. No cameras, no witnesses, no nothing, wow. Please interview me channel 2 news so that I can give you guys some insight on what really goes on in there because I have been in there before and it was recent. My name is Lewis and my e-mail address is lewisakadoon@yahoo.com.
shame

United States

#3 Sep 3, 2009
They beat this guy and strung him up so he wouldn't talk about it
shame

United States

#4 Sep 3, 2009
The county needs to take over all of these municipalities because they are all corrupt from pinelawn, pagedale, hillsdale, beverly hills and so on
teyesbm

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Sep 3, 2009
I agree. Being a rsident in Pinelawn I do not see how this could have continued for this long!
mr elmwood

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Sep 7, 2009
We need everyone that lives in pinelawn or has been locked up in pinelawn or knows someone that has been locked up in pinelaw jail to comment and let us know how they feel about the police officers who work for pinelawn, let us know your stories let us know what they my have done you, a family member or anybody you know. We need to come together as a whole in the situation because we are going to need as much support from the community as we can get, we need everyone to help so that this does not happen to someone else, if the pinelawn police feel they have got away with this theres nothing stopping this from happening again.NO JUSTICE NOT PEACE...(close friend of the family!!!)L.L

“MCL”

Since: Sep 09

St. Louis

#7 Sep 7, 2009
Hmmm... I thought Pine Lawn was already taken over by the county. I have never been in there though, but I know they are VERY unfair to any white people they come across in their town. My dad has worked on houses there before and they gave him all kinds of trouble.

Anyway, i don't know what to believe. I certainly don't want to believe that any officers would abuse their powers in any district, but it happens. I just honestly don't think that they would have killed him.
mr elmwood

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Sep 7, 2009
well trust me they killed him his eye was hanging from his eye socket what u think he did that him self they beat and killed my homeboy and i know that for a fact he most definalty would not kill himself . why did the police take his body to the hospital in a police car fully cloths if u hung your self u would have had to be in a cell with a jump suit on and they would have called the crim lab to view and investegate the crime scene but i guese thye took him down put his cloths back on and drove him to the hospital bs there going down for this sht

“MCL”

St. Louis

#9 Sep 8, 2009
You have your own clothes on when you are being detained for just a few hours. I don't know what the whole story is only what Fox 2 reported (and badly I might add, It's HUNG not HANGED)so I don't know if they took him to the hospital or his eyeball was hanging off or whatever else you have said, but to anyone here this is just speculation from the victim's family and friends. I am sorry, but I do not believe that he was killed until I see the proof....
mr elmwood

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Sep 8, 2009
get the facts before u make a statement im his boy and clothes friend to the family i no what happen and they killed him

“MCL”

St. Louis

#11 Sep 9, 2009
Ok, first of all it's CLOSE not CLOTHES and it's KNOW not NO. If you are going to defend your friend be educated about it. No one will take you seriously if you can't even spell or use correct grammar. No one has the "facts" but you apparently or this would be all over the news by now. We are talking about MURDER here!!! So YOU get the facts straight before you go accusing cops. Why is it always drama with you people? It's always everyone else's fault. My dad was treated unfairly by them because he was white and you don't hear him calling out "murder"!
And another problem with you people is that you do not respect the authorities enough! You have learned all the ways to manipulate the law and get every dollar you can from us taxpayers! Like I said, show me the proof or respect the law and anyone involved in it! You definitely do not appreciate the fact that these same men who "killed your boy" will seek justice when and if one of your so called "homes" takes you out!!!
Abused in St Charles

Troy, MO

#12 Sep 12, 2009
Too many people believe that things like this only happen in places like LA, Chicago, or New York.

Cops protect Cops, not the public. Isnt it interesting that the equipment that we, the public, pay for to watch over what goes on in jails just so happens to be 'off' or 'broken' when things like this happen?

I had an incident in St Charles where officers assaulted me for exercising my constitutionally protected right to refuse consent to a search. I had a video camera running, which captured the incident. The officers in question tried to erase the video tape, after they took me to jail, and but for a stroke of luck, might have succeeded. They charged me with resisting arrest and assaulting an officer, charges which were later dropped.

To the family of the victim, GET A LAWYER! Dont allow the police to intimidate you out of filing charges against the officers in question. Get a hold of the FBI, who is tasked with investigating rogue police, and get them to open an investigation.

Please, do not let these thugs with badges get away with this.

“MCL”

St. Louis

#13 Sep 13, 2009
You are talking about an assault and maybe an infraction of your rights. But they are talking about murder!!! Now I for one do not want to believe that the very same people who are supposed to serve and protect would be able to commit such a horrific crime. I am sorry, call me naive, but that is how I feel. And as a matter of fact, if this turns out to not be true, these officers can get those accusing them on defecation of character!

If this is true, I want to see more being done about it then just a few comments. There are other departments you can go to to express your complaints, and if you go high enough, as in the Feds, you will not be ignored. If your family member has been killed by these cops, do more about it then what you are doing! If this turns out to be the case, we will all hear about it on the news and you will have made me a believer. And you will get the justice your friend deserves!
teyesbm

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Sep 14, 2009
@ juggaletteSTL... So sorry your Daddy was treated VERY unfair by "us people"! Maybe mr.elmwood may not be as educated as you are but I was wondering... what the hell did that have to do with anything??? What does your perception of "us people" have to do with a possible murder? If the authorities don't care about your white Daddy and mistreat him (so you say), how do you think the less fortunate who live in what I'm sure you would say is the "ghetto" get treated?? Come spend a day in Pine Lawn and let me know what you think of the people who are soupposed to protect and serve! So from my "speculation" maybe "you people" just assumed you were being treated unfairly because of the color of your skin! How ironic??? Don't yell murder because of that though??? With all of your proper grammar and spell checking, your posts are still very ignorant!!!!

“MCL”

St. Louis

#15 Sep 15, 2009
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I brought up my dad to show he has been treated unfairly by the police in Pine Lawn (why are you saying "my people? I gather from your post that you are against the police) amd none of us hollered "murder". Believe me, I am not educated. I have my G.E.D. I bet Mr. Elmwood has more education then me, and I'm sure fox 2 has more education then me, but that is besides the point. I never said anything about the ghetto or whatever. It wouldn't feel like we didn't belong there if you all didn't make it that way. For your information I live in St. John, which is not some uppity rich white neighborhood. We do all accept each other here. You have me all wrong. I was just giving the police officers a voice since no one else on here is. I don't think I should be called ignorant for having an opinion.

“MCL”

St. Louis

#16 Sep 15, 2009
Oh and if "you people" didn't segregate yourselves and not allow us in your neighborhoods we wouldn't feel so prejudice against you. Every time we go into your neighborhoods we are robbed, shot at, have our cars stolen, or even worse, are murdered. I know you do it to yourselves too, but when we go into your neighborhoods we are basically considered bait or "fresh fish". I know more of you have been in prisons then us, fairly or unfairly, but you all have to get this prison mentality out of your heads! Stop letting us bring you down, if that's what we are doing. Which in some cases we are. Be strong as a people! Stand up and show us you can change! Reform yourselves! If not for us, for your own people. If not for your own people, then yourselves. Let the white people in to your neighborhoods! Let us know what kind and hospitable people you can be. You all have a lot of passion, but some of you turn that passion into anger. We know what we did to you was wrong, but how can we feel sorry for you when you are feeling sorry enough for yourselves for the both of us?
Abused in St Charles

Troy, MO

#17 Sep 15, 2009
"Now I for one do not want to believe that the very same people who are supposed to serve and protect would be able to commit such a horrific crime."

Benefit of the doubt, ok, I can buy that.

Then you go on to say.....
"Every time we go into your neighborhoods we are robbed, shot at, have our cars stolen, or even worse, are murdered."

So every time you go into a neighborhood, you know everyones social class/skin color? I've been in several "ghetto" type neighborhoods, even drove my car there. Was never robbed, shot at, had my car stolen, nor was I ever murdered, and I happen to be white as a ghost and near 40 to boot.

You dont want us to lump all police together, but you will lump all people of a social class/skin color together? Are all cops bad? Nope, just like all black people arent bad.

All cops, however, carry guns and are granted extraordinary powers over the rest of society. Both the good..........and the bad.

“MCL”

St. Louis

#18 Sep 15, 2009
No, not all black people are bad, but the ones who get overshadowed by the bad ones need to stand up and take their communities back. Keep in mind, THEY are the ones saying what a horrible place Pine Lawn is to live. Apparently, there is no justice. It's not hard to find the lower class predominately black neighborhoods. You and I both know this, and so do they. A lot of them would love for their neighborhoods to change, but that prison mentality is there for a lot of them and they have no clue how to change. You may say you have been through these neighborhoods and nothing bad has happened, but I personally cannot. I HAVE been robbed, at gunpoint, in Wellston. I gave the neighborhood the benefit of a doubt and got robbed at a gas station that was well lit and was supposed to be a police substation.

Oh, and about lumping them together, they lump themselves together all of the time. How come here in St. John, where is is pretty equally racially mixed, we can all get along pretty good for the most part, but there in Pine Lawn you can't even trust your policemen? You all have a say in who runs things around there so TAKE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD BACK! Simple as that. Make your voices be heard. Go higher up then the folks in Pine Lawn. Take your issues to Fox 2 if you have to, they will hook you up if they feel you are right.
Abused in St Charles

Troy, MO

#19 Sep 16, 2009
juggaletteSTL wrote:
No, not all black people are bad, but the ones who get overshadowed by the bad ones need to stand up and take their communities back.{/quote}
One could say the same thing about police though. If they dont like the reputation that they gain due to 'bad' cops, then perhaps they should stand up and say something about it rather than do everything they can to bury the evidence.
[quote]Keep in mind, THEY are the ones saying what a horrible place Pine Lawn is to live.[/quote]
From the comments that have appeared here, they arent saying that Pine Lawn is a bad place to live, just that the police in that Municipality happen to be less than trustworthy. Do the people that live there, or any Municipality for that matter, have any say over the officers who are hired or fired where they live? No, they dont.
[quote]Apparently, there is no justice. It's not hard to find the lower class predominately black neighborhoods. You and I both know this, and so do they. A lot of them would love for their neighborhoods to change, but that prison mentality is there for a lot of them and they have no clue how to change.[/quote]
I mean no offense, but I'm gonna call BS on that. You, or I, have zero clue who lives behind the walls of the homes in these neighborhoods. As far as 'prison mentality', your just building a straw man argument. You cannot say, with any authority, who has or hasnt been to prison in those neighborhoods. Also, there are a fair number of lower class white folks who happen to live in many of those neighborhoods as well.
[quote]You may say you have been through these neighborhoods and nothing bad has happened, but I personally cannot. I HAVE been robbed, at gunpoint, in Wellston. I gave the neighborhood the benefit of a doubt and got robbed at a gas station that was well lit and was supposed to be a police substation.[/quote]
So, you got robbed at a police substation, yet find fault with the neighborhood? Did the neighborhood rob you? Did the individual who robbed you live in that neighborhood, and if he did, did he do it with the approval of said neighborhood? Think about what your saying for a minute.
[quote]Oh, and about lumping them together, they lump themselves together all of the time. How come here in St. John, where is is pretty equally racially mixed, we can all get along pretty good for the most part, but there in Pine Lawn you can't even trust your policemen?[/quote]
Hate to tell you, but St John isnt always as peaceful as you claim. I did live in St John for several years. Went to school at Ritenour, which was anything but "peaceful". I had an incident with St John's PD when I was 18. Was skateboarding down St Charles Rock Road with a few friends. Police show up, took the skateboard, and told me I would need to have my parents come to pick it up. As I was 18, I knew I didnt need anyone else to pick it up, and informed the officers of this fact. They proceeded to arrest me, for "Resisting arrest", typical thin air charge that they like to use. While handcuffed, in the back seat of the cruiser, one officer reached into the backseat and punched me across the face. Once I got to the PD, this same officer came into the jail cell and began assaulting me. Its not an issue with one area's police, but police in general. Perhaps if they, the police, dont want to be "lumped" together, they should stand up and say something themselves, rather than covering up their fellow 'brothers in blue' crimes.
[quote][B]You all have a say in who runs things around there so TAKE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD BACK! Simple as that. Make your voices be heard.[/b] Go higher up then the folks in Pine Lawn. Take your issues to Fox 2 if you have to, they will hook you up if they feel you are right.
The part I bolded is about the only thing you have said thus far that I can agree with. All of us, not just those who happen to live in Pine Lawn, need to start standing up and taking back our governments.
Abused in St Charles

Troy, MO

#20 Sep 16, 2009
sorry about the jumble there. I obviously screwed up the [quote][/quote] tags somewhere

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tower Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New fear: What happens in Ferguson if no charges? 5 min Dog Man 2,497
Trayvon Martin's mom writes heartbreaking lette... 6 min Big Dog 8
StLouisAreaPolice 10 min YouPeopleAreFools 13
how th lowest fel mor under is out polic wilson 17 min OlPapaw 2
have your SREGGIN extingusher on the ready!! b... 19 min Coming Soon 1
nevuh shoot until yu see th - - - - - - - - -w... 20 min africhaiti 1
Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 52 min Here Is One 4,568
Tower Grove Dating
Find my Match

Tower Grove People Search