Brilliant! A British store

Jul 23, 2007 Full story: Press-Telegram 42

“This is an exciting opportunity for residents on the Eastside of Long Beach to have a neighborhood market that provides fresh, quality foods at affordable prices”

The British are coming. This time it's good news. Inner-city residents have been complaining since the 1992 riots that there are not enough mainstream supermarkets in their neighborhoods. via Press-Telegram

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ComptonCA

Hawaiian Gardens, CA

#1 Jul 23, 2007
Thats great. I would gladly shop on that new store.
lycanmoon

United States

#2 Jul 23, 2007
We used to have one in Lakewood some 3-4 years ago, and I always frequented it. He just didn't get enough business to stay open, but it was great, like a small version of the Continental Shop on Santa Monica Blvd near Westwood. Hope it goes throuh!
oneways

Torrance, CA

#3 Jul 24, 2007
TESCO sounds like another Walmart to me.The
Albertsons on Norwalk and Artesia was recently
closed.They paid union wages.Tesco will open
on the site of the former Albertsons.I see from the article TESCO will pay $10 hour most starting positions.That means there will be no *new* jobs created,what will be created are jobs with less benifits at lower wages.I'm really disapointed the reporter from the Press Telegram was so rah rah in the story.Didn't
point out any of the negatives.
slk123

Huntington Park, CA

#4 Sep 9, 2007
Acutually, we are getting something else at the old Albertsons site. It's a Northgate. The TESCO store is on Rosecrans.
So this was our city father's idea of bringing some grocery stores back to Norwalk? I really hope the TESCO (Fresh and Easy) is a nice place to shop. I keep having to go farther and farther to spend my money.
oneways

Glendale, CA

#5 Sep 10, 2007
slk123 wrote:
Acutually, we are getting something else at the old Albertsons site. It's a Northgate. The TESCO store is on Rosecrans.
So this was our city father's idea of bringing some grocery stores back to Norwalk? I really hope the TESCO (Fresh and Easy) is a nice place to shop. I keep having to go farther and farther to spend my money.
Thanks for the info, I just assumed it was going
to be a Tesco
jerry

Long Beach, CA

#6 Nov 9, 2007
The new Fresh and easy stores are about as cozy as a county hospital. Everything seems so sterile and white. The food may be decent but theres somthing to be said about a nice shopping experience. Not nice here!

“www.LAAG.us”

Since: Oct 07

Lakewood CA

#8 Nov 9, 2007
Tesco Plc which owns Fresh and Easy is using this neighborhood market thing as a gimmick. they are just the wal mart of the UK. But hey any non union stores are welcome around here in Lakewood. Just like costco going into lkwd center mall. The more competition the better. Maybe all the food will come from China! woopie!
http://www.laag.us/2007/11/fresh-easy-news.ht...
Black momma

Norwalk, CA

#9 Jul 23, 2013
ComptonCA wrote:
Thats great. I would gladly shop on that new store.
I don't you think you understood what really happen with the first brits invaded the free worlds they brought slaves responcible for the Irish slave trade and the African slave trade, wipe out a whole race of natives stole are the resources from Africa created a money structure to enrich there own lives. So many things that you need to dig deep that the history books really don't tell you. I was shock because I didn't know. What they did to the Irish was unreal.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#10 Jul 23, 2013
Black momma wrote:
<quoted text>I don't you think you understood what really happen with the first brits invaded the free worlds they brought slaves responcible for the Irish slave trade and the African slave trade, wipe out a whole race of natives stole are the resources from Africa created a money structure to enrich there own lives. So many things that you need to dig deep that the history books really don't tell you. I was shock because I didn't know. What they did to the Irish was unreal.
Black momma.

Yes. I agree. Mother Africa cries out for the return of her stolen children. Few today would argue that stealing Africans was the right thing to do. The GREATER SIN, though, is the continuing refusal of the racists to return these stolen children to whence they were stolen. Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government.*(basic stuff)* The racists' continuing to use loopholes in the White man's law as technicalities to keep a teary-eyed mother Africa in anguish because she be separated from her children is no longer defensible. LET THEM PEOPLE GO! It is the right thing to do.

Ronald
Black momma

Norwalk, CA

#11 Jul 23, 2013
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Black momma.
Yes. I agree. Mother Africa cries out for the return of her stolen children. Few today would argue that stealing Africans was the right thing to do. The GREATER SIN, though, is the continuing refusal of the racists to return these stolen children to whence they were stolen. Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government.*(basic stuff)* The racists' continuing to use loopholes in the White man's law as technicalities to keep a teary-eyed mother Africa in anguish because she be separated from her children is no longer defensible. LET THEM PEOPLE GO! It is the right thing to do.
Ronald
Thank you so much. You must take a trip to Africa which no one promotes but it was very strange I went about back quite a while ago. I felt I was treated sort of like another tourist I thought they would really embrace me. At times some were sort of rude. We are are far removed from the culture and the new age black women could not keep her mouth shut. One thing is that black men treat their women like a goddess and are equal in educational intelligence but last word comes from her husband. They do work together even if her idea is better. African women are so smooth she will put a twist on it not to belittle him and slowly incorperate her original idea BAM. Black women need to inspithese are the key to uplifting our black men. Instead of pushing them to bling bling bling. Just stop how about what book have you read? If we can't afford a new car right now let's wait. Take each other and back each other up. My young black women are so angry and I know why. Perfect example look at the movie django which I love this movie because it did give you a few details of history and black people jobs in the industry. Who was sitting at the table with white devil while he was making a buisness deal and listening learning from the enemy black women. I know I am going off topic but point is black men need to take a chance open a store employ yourself. And tell no one you are the owner, humble yourself I did watch what happen a few people but not customers only people who want info about opening another. Trust me I did it
Historian

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Jul 23, 2013
Black momma wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you so much. You must take a trip to Africa which no one promotes but it was very strange I went about back quite a while ago. I felt I was treated sort of like another tourist I thought they would really embrace me. At times some were sort of rude. We are are far removed from the culture and the new age black women could not keep her mouth shut. One thing is that black men treat their women like a goddess and are equal in educational intelligence but last word comes from her husband.
Just want to pipe in here and testify for Black Momma. Yes, Africans have different ways than Americans, and I think that's a huge reason why integration has turned out to be such a huge disappointment. If we refuse to conform to African ways, then what hope do we have for the future of integration?

Find below a video documentary of Africa. I share it with the hope that after viewing, we americans might be a bit more careful about what we say/do around Africans and African Americans, and be a little bit more supportive of their culture, which they've lived by for a thousand years longer than our relatively new American ways:



Let us know what you think, Black Momma!!
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#13 Jul 23, 2013
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
Just want to pipe in here and testify for Black Momma. Yes, Africans have different ways than Americans, and I think that's a huge reason why integration has turned out to be such a huge disappointment. If we refuse to conform to African ways, then what hope do we have for the future of integration?
Find below a video documentary of Africa. I share it with the hope that after viewing, we americans might be a bit more careful about what we say/do around Africans and African Americans, and be a little bit more supportive of their culture, which they've lived by for a thousand years longer than our relatively new American ways:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZRuSS0iiFyoXX
Let us know what you think, Black Momma!!
Historian.

Yes. I agree. In their native habitat, African females do the labor while their males sit about philosophizing. Western culture is indeed behind African culture in that regard, but perhaps we deserve at least an " A " for effort. For example, Government "news" sources report that women are gradually taking over the workplace in western nations.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/28u3dmn

Ronald
Black momma

Norwalk, CA

#14 Jul 23, 2013
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
Just want to pipe in here and testify for Black Momma. Yes, Africans have different ways than Americans, and I think that's a huge reason why integration has turned out to be such a huge disappointment. If we refuse to conform to African ways, then what hope do we have for the future of integration?
Find below a video documentary of Africa. I share it with the hope that after viewing, we americans might be a bit more careful about what we say/do around Africans and African Americans, and be a little bit more supportive of their culture, which they've lived by for a thousand years longer than our relatively new American ways:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZRuSS0iiFyoXX
Let us know what you think, Black Momma!!
This is odd coming from me because to be honest with all of you I don't trust a documentry only because it could be mock. These people live in a world of dispair and will have themselves protrayed as savages to get some sort of compensation I know that mock devil better than anyone I am married to a blue eyed devil (sorry baby) the very nature of white people is different unless you were born into a surroundings of just blacks and I was raise around very well to do whites in a time which was rare. That unearned entitlment is in there veins. Just think all that power anytime you can take old beat up teacup and say oh this lord blah blah inbred rat face teacup it is worth 100,000.00 come on I do not trust these people unless the real spirit of God is in your heart not the version of hate but of pure love. We need to close all the doors to these churches and start a new. What is written is not a experience of you. We are all apostles of God but each different. Africa is lost because they were the first body of man. Venture out went underground mutated the gene. Bottom line is we have no motherland that was a resource center that was not guarded by mortal mankind. We must start a new at the start. The great poet Constance once said If I live searching I will never find but if I stand still whatever I am searching for will fund me.
Long Beach Native

Long Beach, CA

#15 Jul 23, 2013
"That unearned entitlment is in there veins."
----------

You're referring to black folks, right?

As for the rest of your post...bullshit! Those are perceptions created in your own mind.

By the way you spelled entitlement wrong.
Long Beach Native

Long Beach, CA

#16 Jul 23, 2013
www_LAAG_us wrote:
Tesco Plc which owns Fresh and Easy is using this neighborhood market thing as a gimmick. they are just the wal mart of the UK. But hey any non union stores are welcome around here in Lakewood. Just like costco going into lkwd center mall. The more competition the better. Maybe all the food will come from China! woopie!
http://www.laag.us/2007/11/fresh-easy-news.ht...
I enjoy picking up things from this store. I have a hard time finding certain things for a reasonable price, like Bruschetta or their stuffed olives, at a traditional supermarket. And, the salads/sandwiches from Fresh and Easy are very yummy.
blackety black

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Jul 24, 2013
Black momma wrote:
<quoted text>This is odd coming from me because to be honest with all of you I don't trust a documentry only because it could be mock. These people live in a world of dispair and will have themselves protrayed as savages to get some sort of compensation I know that mock devil better than anyone I am married to a blue eyed devil (sorry baby) the very nature of white people is different unless you were born into a surroundings of just blacks and I was raise around very well to do whites in a time which was rare. That unearned entitlment is in there veins.
Yeah, them white folks always be lying. Like that supposed genocide in Rwanda where blacks supposedly killed almost a million people in a couple of months. The UN is whitey, so they lied. Rwanda is doing great, ya'll! Same with Haiti. Never was an earthquake. Just the tricky white people trying to make the brothas look bad!! They ain't eaten no childs in da Congo. Anoddah white lie! Africans gots it goin ON!

Reminds me of da old negro space program the whites tried to keep quiet back in da early '60's, as well as when the first Africans reached da moon BEFORE the whites did!

Ya'll keep preachin' da TRUTH, girl! OUR truth, not whitey's lame azz truth.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#18 Jul 24, 2013
blackety black wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, them white folks always be lying. Like that supposed genocide in Rwanda where blacks supposedly killed almost a million people in a couple of months. The UN is whitey, so they lied. Rwanda is doing great, ya'll! Same with Haiti. Never was an earthquake. Just the tricky white people trying to make the brothas look bad!! They ain't eaten no childs in da Congo. Anoddah white lie! Africans gots it goin ON!
Reminds me of da old negro space program the whites tried to keep quiet back in da early '60's, as well as when the first Africans reached da moon BEFORE the whites did!
Ya'll keep preachin' da TRUTH, girl! OUR truth, not whitey's lame azz truth.
blackety black.

The first moon landing was an astounding achievement, especially when one considers the thieving Greeks stole all the advanced scientific knowledge of the Africans.

Ronald
Black momma

Norwalk, CA

#19 Jul 26, 2013
Long Beach Native wrote:
"That unearned entitlment is in there veins."
----------
You're referring to black folks, right?
As for the rest of your post...bullshit! Those are perceptions created in your own mind.
By the way you spelled entitlement wrong.
oh I am so sorry massuh that I za did not spell the first euro, latin, sub divided Spanish & French language. Here we have click click click clock clock click it's that better. And in the famous words of one the greatest leaders of all time Way down in the jungle deep!
Black momma

Norwalk, CA

#20 Jul 26, 2013
Long Beach Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoy picking up things from this store. I have a hard time finding certain things for a reasonable price, like Bruschetta or their stuffed olives, at a traditional supermarket. And, the salads/sandwiches from Fresh and Easy are very yummy.
I bet that is your Porsche park outside you got something to hide.
Black momma

Norwalk, CA

#21 Jul 26, 2013
Come real brothas that is funny!

How I love you
how l luv ya my dear old mammy chaaaa

And when you go into the store of the brits the word
n... Ger does not exist they call us carvas our daughter just got back from UK. What kind of bs is that carva. She told us she is half a carva that sounds like a salad with stuff olives I have 5 jars of that. I will send them to the yummy person please say you are gay or a girl. Something about a regular brother saying yummy or bye bye is kinda of uhhhh (smile)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 18 hr Pastor LDM 19,381
Downtown Manhattan Beach 21 hr Just saying 3
Gone Girls: Human Trafficking on the Home Front... Tue Reader 1
Del Amo Fashion Center owners announce $200M up... (Aug '10) Oct 15 SMR 134
ASK THE LAWYER: Lawyers can be certified as spe... (Jun '09) Oct 13 maryjaneprincton 3
South Bay hospitals work to reduce emergency ro... Oct 5 Kate Smith 1
Do you approve of Pat Furey as Council Member? Sep 28 Frank Scotto 1

Torrance News Video

Torrance Dating
Find my Match

Torrance Jobs

Torrance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Torrance News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Torrance

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]