Erwin Howard: 'I thought: God, I killed her'

Full story: Daily Breeze

Erwin Howard is overcome with emotion as he describes the killing of his former wife, popular El Segundo Realtor Julia "Deede" Keller, in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom Monday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
not enough

Garden Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

how can we ever release someone capable of murder ?...she's gone forever and he'll be free in 12 years. he's a real dirtbag.
Forgiveness

Goleta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Judged:

It's called forgiveness. Holding on to anger or resentment only ends up hurting and eating you up in the end.
No Promise Here

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

So if the family and prosecutors have agreed to not oppose any future parole hearings, it does not mean that others can step up to the plate and demand that he serve his entire sentence rather than be allowed to get out early.
This is what society is about, the rest of us can demand that a killer not be released to damage any other innocent people. He obviously has a desperate need to control others, and if that can't be "cured", treated or managed in the twelve years that he is incarcerated, then by all means other people should step forward for the memory of DeeDee and preservation of any other woman he might befriend if he is free.
Justice for Homicide Victims, Doris Tate Foundation and other such groups exist exactly for this reason. Thank God for these wonderful people who serve others and protect each of us - most of them have suffered extreme losses themselves and work so that you and I don't travel that path.
Judeca

Baytown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

"Lewin said he always believed Howard was a good man who had done a terrible act. Speaking directly to Howard, Lewin said he thought Howard was horrified by his own actions, and couldn't face them until now.

"I have no doubt you would trade places with her," Lewin said as Howard nodded. "I believe you have already redeemed yourself to some degree."

It's a shame others can't learn from her family - which is forgiveness. For some there is no such thing as 'enough' punishement. May God not be so hard on you when you are judged.
Peace for her

Lomita, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

The horrors that await him in prison! He knowingly made the decision to act on his self-serving urge to control a woman. Perhaps he will get to learn what it must have felt like for her. I hope his fellow inmates having him fearing for his life every single day for the next 12 years...may the screams he hears each night keep him from getting sleep.
No Promise Here

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Judeca wrote:
"Lewin said he always believed Howard was a good man who had done a terrible act. Speaking directly to Howard, Lewin said he thought Howard was horrified by his own actions, and couldn't face them until now.
"I have no doubt you would trade places with her," Lewin said as Howard nodded. "I believe you have already redeemed yourself to some degree."
It's a shame others can't learn from her family - which is forgiveness. For some there is no such thing as 'enough' punishement. May God not be so hard on you when you are judged.
What does "forgiveness" have to do with insuring protections of others? You are way off track and it appears that you have your own issues to promote rather than attack and deem others less worthy of religious attributes that you spout. You've got punishment mixed up with my desire for protection, go do some volunteer work behind bars and forgive all you want on your own time.
As for my own judgement, you've crossed over a line but I'll even forgive you your trespass and pray that you find other weapons to hoist rather than abusing the gifts given by higher powers.
wow

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Judged:

I cant believe this article. why is everyone trying to down play the fact that this man killed his exwife? it doesnt matter how sorry he is or if he never hits another person in his life. he killed her. murder is murder. if this is what our society calls a "good man who made a bad choice" then we have a LONG way to go.
Abe

Hawthorne, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Did you watch the video? Why did he tape her mouth shut and tape her legs and arms. This was no accident.
Knew Erwin

Claremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

After watching the family forgive him the way they did, after his confession, I feel justice and truth have prevailed. The prosecutors own words pretty much establish that.

It's a shame he didn't come clean right after she passed-out. If he had called for help, maybe she could have been recicitated (sp?).

To the more judgemental on this board like 'wow,' maybe you've picked the wrong case to make your point? A point I don't necessarily disagree with.
Dont Be Soft

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Judged:

Forgiveness wrote:
It's called forgiveness. Holding on to anger or resentment only ends up hurting and eating you up in the end.
Forgiveness to someone for breaking your window, stealing $20, or saying something hurtful is one thing. Forgiving someone for murder is unthinkable. It's overly soft people like you who cause people like this man to see the light of day, instead of getting the needle or the chamber like he deserves. Make harsher pentalties and watch the violence fade away. When there were hangings, men thought twice before killing someone or stealing horses. We need to get back to handing out harsher punishments for such crimes. Our only hangup is the soft, liberal, ACLU types who forgive and forget.
Truthfully

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

Judeca wrote:
I don't kill people, so "God's judgement" as you put it, isn't something I am overly stressed about!
lynn

Huntington Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

twelve year and they agree not to show up for his parole then. she is gone forever. how a family could do that i will never understand.
amazing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2008

I worked with him for many years and cant believe that he could do something like that..My heart goes out to the family and friends ..
Counting my Blessings

Temple, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2008

I dated Erwin for about 10 months in 1985. I am not surprised that those who knew him socially are shocked he was capable of murdering his ex-wife. Unfortunately, my only surprise is that he took 19 years to become lethal. I just learned of this case, and feel some sense of guilt that I never blew the whistle on him. He can be very sweet, soft-spoken and charming. He is also the only man I've ever dated who hit me. This occurred after many months of quietly jealous and controlling performances at social events, and in a jealous fit because I was taking a Jewish female friend to Yom Kippur services with me instead of him. I broke up with him after that, and he stalked me for several weeks, even coming down from Santa Barbara to LA to do so.

Incidentally, at the time I was dating him, he concealed, for awhile, the fact that he was in the country illegally. I helped him get an immigration lawyer. He eventually got amnesty. Gotta question some of our immigration laws, too.

Society needs to be protected from men like Erwin, who cannot control their emotions and use them as an excuse to hurt women. I only wish I had known about this; I would have offered to appear as a character witness for the prosecution. He needs to be put away.
billy the builder

Placentia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2008

This mans' story reminds me of Tweekers. They steal from you and then stay around and help you look for the stolen goods. Didn't he help everyone put up posters and help look for his wife? The family forgiving him is not only unbelievable, it must be a typo or something. God says we are to forgive, there must be a good reason for it, but damn! This family has a lot more strength than anyone I can think of. Revenge ? I suppose if you wait long enough these people get what is coming to them.
stranger

Spring Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2008

cut his balls off,

“Don't Sass Me, Boy!”

Since: Jul 08

Firebaugh, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2008

Judged:

stranger wrote:
cut his balls off,
Make him eat them.
Bonesaw

Corona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2008

That is IF there is a god but killing someone unless truly by accident or in self defense is unforgivable.
Judeca wrote:
uglysouthbay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

not enough wrote:
how can we ever release someone capable of murder ?...she's gone forever and he'll be free in 12 years. he's a real dirtbag.
12 years is a long time
uglysouthbay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2009

Bonesaw wrote:
That is IF there is a god but killing someone unless truly by accident or in self defense is unforgivable.<quoted text>
I think killing racists is okay don't you? and for those that take that as an opportunity to say illegals, YOU'RE what I mean.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Torrance Discussions

Search the Torrance Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 6 min Brian_G 7,324
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 min Samuel 17,827
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 1 hr jef helms 15,674
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr DoDaDoDaDay 199,103
Compton Racial Gang War. (Mar '08) 8 hr DrJesus 242
Hermosa Beach California Parking Ticket Scams (Oct '10) 15 hr Stacey 7
Elin Vanderlip dies at 90 at her Rancho Palos V... (Jul '09) Apr 19 Just Saying 84
•••
•••

Torrance News Video

•••
Torrance Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Torrance Jobs

•••
•••
•••