Holidays turn to survival as jobless benefits end

Full story: Daily Breeze

This Nov. 30, 2010 photo shows Silvia Lewis, right, and her daughter, Giada, 10, in their Nashville, Tenn.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Dec 2, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SuzieSays

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

How come these people who had "good" jobs had no savings?

At mid 40s you would think people have some kind of nest egg. If they did not run out now they would have at retirement in their 60s.

Too much consumption is the problem.
Gary

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

It looks like her food budget hasn't taken a hit...

I have a right to iphones and big screen TVs
I have a right to drive gaz guzzling luxury SUVs.
I have a right to have as many kids as I want.
I have a right to live beyond my means.

I have a right to YOUR money to pay for it all.

“Just saying”

Since: Feb 09

Springfield, Il.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

This is not the Republicans fault. The DemocRATS still have the numbers if they wanted to extend the handouts. I can see Odumbo now: HO! HO! HO! Merry Holidays.

“Just saying”

Since: Feb 09

Springfield, Il.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

H.O. H.O. H.O. is banned? What the hell is Santa going to do?
Think Again

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

"Wayne Pittman has been telling his family not expect much for Christmas either.
The 46-year-old carpenter, along with his wife and 9-year-old son, have stopped going to movies, going out to eat and buying new clothes. With his $297 weekly checks gone, holiday gifts are definitely out."

Uh, he's been on unemployment for almost two years and they've just stopped going out??? They should have stopped all those things 99 weeks ago.

Statements like this are why I do not support extending the benefits.

Put that money instead into job creation - small business loans, organizations that will HIRE PEOPLE to GROW THEIR BUSINESS and then HIRE MORE PEOPLE.

The short-sighted (next election only) government is nothing but a spend-it-all-to-no-avail waste of money.
Pedro Sanchez

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

I am sorry to say, but California-where are all those employer's that you have chased out with your poor business environment. People here in this state, shouldn't blame the Fed's, the benefits have been too generous, for too long. Obama's failed stimulus plan, and their bragging about jobs created will now be staring all of you in the face. There are no green jobs, even the city of Los Angeles can't employ green employees. In the meantime, these benefits have to stop-as do all the entitlements, the House is not bailing California out anymore. Jerry Brown will have to change course, if you think the taxpayer's can be the new bailout-they're all broke!
South Bay Local

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

I've been unemployed for almost two years. I have a college education and over 25 years of experience as an account executive/customer service/sales rep. Tell me where the jobs are and I'll go apply because I'm not having any luck finding anything anywhere!!! They need to extend the unemployment benefits until the state/country can find a way out of this terrible economy. That money goes right back into the economy anyway so what's the difference???
Why You Have No Job

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

South Bay Local wrote:
That money goes right back into the economy anyway so what's the difference???
THE DIFFERENCE is that it isn't your money, it is my money. I worked for it and I will keep it!
Why You Have No Job

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

South Bay Local wrote:
I've been unemployed for almost two years. I have a college education and over 25 years of experience as an account executive/customer service/sales rep.
Locally: See's hired holiday help; Target hired holiday help; Starbucks hired holiday help.

Maybe YOU are the problem?!? In any case, we've paid your benefits for two years. That's enough.
different view

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

South Bay Local wrote:
I've been unemployed for almost two years. I have a college education and over 25 years of experience as an account executive/customer service/sales rep. Tell me where the jobs are and I'll go apply because I'm not having any luck finding anything anywhere!!! They need to extend the unemployment benefits until the state/country can find a way out of this terrible economy. That money goes right back into the economy anyway so what's the difference???
Well, I have a job and I just found another to transition away from what I'm doing. If you can't find a job, you're just not looking. There are plenty of good paying jobs if you're willing to work hard. Your job right now should be spending 8 hours a day looking for a job, not relying on unemployment.
RIIGGGHHHTTT

Alhambra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Gary wrote:
It looks like her food budget hasn't taken a hit...
I have a right to iphones and big screen TVs
I have a right to drive gaz guzzling luxury SUVs.
I have a right to have as many kids as I want.
I have a right to live beyond my means.
I have a right to YOUR money to pay for it all.
Have you ever watched for an hour or so at the welfare office? Checked out the cars in the parking lots? Watched people with iphones etc passing the time standing in line waiting their turn? Youbetcha. But you and I are rich, right? We can afford their luxuries.
RIIGGGHHHTTT

Alhambra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Pedro Sanchez wrote:
I am sorry to say, but California-where are all those employer's that you have chased out with your poor business environment. People here in this state, shouldn't blame the Fed's, the benefits have been too generous, for too long. Obama's failed stimulus plan, and their bragging about jobs created will now be staring all of you in the face. There are no green jobs, even the city of Los Angeles can't employ green employees. In the meantime, these benefits have to stop-as do all the entitlements, the House is not bailing California out anymore. Jerry Brown will have to change course, if you think the taxpayer's can be the new bailout-they're all broke!
Sacramento isn't helping any either. Pelosi wants to increase the employer's workers comp fund taxes by 33%. She says that will stimulate the economy and increase jobs. What she conveniently ignores is the potential for businesses to go under because of this enormous increase in their cost of doing business. Even if that werenít the case, increasing their expenses by 33% would either raise the cost of their product or eliminate a job or more to pay for them. Itís also interesting to note that they decided not to announce this increase until after the elections. Sort of makes me suspicious all by itself, but with Call Me Senator Pelosi you must pay as much attention to what she doesn't say as to what she does. Sacramento's just playing us like a fiddle. nd the beat goes on. http://www.nfib.com/nfib-in-my-state/nfib-in-...
Why You Have No Job

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Amazing! Looky here:

U.S. private sector payrolls rose by the most in three years in November, lifting optimism about the job market ahead of Friday's government employment report, while manufacturing data showed growth was intact.

The labor market has been among the weakest parts of the U.S. economy, and economists see gains in that area as evidence that the recovery is picking up steam. Manufacturing, on the other hand, has led the recovery.

U.S. private employers added a stronger-than-forecast 93,000 jobs in November, the biggest rise since November 2007, after an upwardly revised gain of 82,000 the month before, data by ADP Employer Services, which developed the report with Macroeconomic Advisers LLC, showed Wednesday.
Daniel

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Pelosi is a Representative in the House and what you linked to is North Carolina. Why do we let some people vote?
South Bay Local

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Why You Have No Job wrote:
<quoted text>
THE DIFFERENCE is that it isn't your money, it is my money. I worked for it and I will keep it!
You're an idiot. It's my money. I paid into it for over 35 years. Also, I don't get unemployment from Calif, I get it from another state that I got laid off in. I moved back to this lousy state take care of my dying father and there are no jobs. Too many illegals and people who support them. I've applied at See's, Starbucks and every other place I could. You are ignorant at best so you need to MYOB.
South Bay Local

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

different view wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I have a job and I just found another to transition away from what I'm doing. If you can't find a job, you're just not looking. There are plenty of good paying jobs if you're willing to work hard. Your job right now should be spending 8 hours a day looking for a job, not relying on unemployment.
I don't rely on unenjoyment you loser, there are no jobs in Cali. Been looking everyday. Got that Houston???
I is smart

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

South Bay Local wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot. It's my money. I paid into it for over 35 years. Also, I don't get unemployment from Calif, I get it from another state that I got laid off in. I moved back to this lousy state take care of my dying father and there are no jobs. Too many illegals and people who support them. I've applied at See's, Starbucks and every other place I could. You are ignorant at best so you need to MYOB.
Uh-oh, someone just turned you in for not residing in the state where you are getting unemployment. Hope you don't have to pay back all those checks. Who is your case worker and what is their number -- I feel an obligation to turn you in -- NOT! Jus messin with you, have a nice day!
Why You Have No Job

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

South Bay Local wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. If I'm "ignorant" how come I have a job?

You applied all those places and no one chose you. I'd say YOU are the ignorant one.

If you don't want to be judged, don't post!(MYOB....)

FWIW, why haven't you applied for in-home care worker status w/ the state here, since you are "taking care of your dying dad?" That'd be a bit o' earned cash for ya.

Or, move yourself and your dad back to whatever state you came from if you can't make it here.
Why You Have No Job

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Scuse me, if I'm "an idiot."

I misquoted you....

Whatever. No one owes you anything. Not even a job.
BWF

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Boy, we have some real anti-Christians on this thread. You'd think that a nation that can conduct multiple theaters of warfare globally, allow the blatant theft of trillions of dollars by Wall St., and give billions of dollars of foreign aid each year (cough*ISRAEL*cough), might just have a few dollars left over for people who's jobs migrated to India because of corporate greed.

"NO WAY!! Get a job you lazy bum!"

Many Americans are turning into this cannibalistic hordes of soulless materialist scum. Witness the recent "Black Friday" videos on youtube.

Folks, the JOBS ARE GONE. And they are not coming back. New jobs might be created in the "green sector", we'll see.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 20 min TONY BENEDDETO 18,837
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 15 hr Pea solved 200,564
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 22 hr Donny B 7,922
OinkSM Secret Sauce Patent Issued Wed JasonTT 1
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Tue matches lighters 15,961
Los Angeles County caregivers working to get fo... Aug 25 SPARKY 3
8 Great Dive Bars in Los Angeles (Aug '13) Aug 24 Kid_Tomorrow 3
•••

Torrance News Video

•••
•••

Torrance Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Torrance People Search