Torrance firefighters to get 10.5% sa...

Torrance firefighters to get 10.5% salary, benefits increase

There are 96 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Apr 9, 2009, titled Torrance firefighters to get 10.5% salary, benefits increase. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Torrance firefighters have received a new three-year contract that gives them a 10.5 percent increase in salaries and benefits over the next three years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
TaxNoMore

Reseda, CA

#86 Dec 25, 2010
TWTL wrote:
<quoted text>
You government union leaches have grown a disgustingly engorged body full of the blood of us private citizens.
It is our patriotic duty to hasten the fall of California, to purge our state and local government of the vile unionistas that import illiterate government dependent people that will never wave an American flag.
This is war, capitalism against you vile public union people that are told who to vote for by your union lords so that you can grow in numbers, more schools, more hospitals, more welfare offices, more prisons, more lazy cops, more lazy fire and scammed pensions by paid off political union puppets
Wow, you are mad ..huh?
jaykwan

Los Angeles, CA

#87 Dec 25, 2010
I was born and raised in Torrance and anybody that has half a brain knows that the police and fire dept are well trained and very efficient, anybody that has the balls to risk thier lives to protect the public deserve to be well paid.
TaxNoMore

Reseda, CA

#88 Dec 25, 2010
jaykwan wrote:
I was born and raised in Torrance and anybody that has half a brain knows that the police and fire dept are well trained and very efficient, anybody that has the balls to risk thier lives to protect the public deserve to be well paid.
Government unions should be illegal.

They are a conflict of interest, and they’re probably the closest thing to a legalized mafia we have here in the US.

It’s extremely difficult to get rid of a bad government worker; and once they have acquired any kind of seniority (5 years or so), it’s almost impossible.

So once they’re on the public payroll, they remain a millstone around the taxpayer’s neck as long as they live.

And these ‘freely negotiated contracts’ are often put in place by people who have made inside deals—sort of a ‘you-scratch-my-back-I’ll-scra tch-yours’ arrangement.

The suckers paying the tax bill usually have no clue what’s going on.

‘Public servant’? I’ve known a few good ones, but the term is rapidly becoming an oxymoron.

A ‘public servant’ worthy of the name is efficient and conscientious about both their job performance and the tax dollars they are spending.

The quality of their work speaks for itself.

They don’t view their position as a vehicle for oppression or revenge against businesses or other members of the public.

Someone like that doesn’t need to hide behind a government union.

I think it’s the bad apples (and the mediocre) that benefit the most from the protection of government unions.

And that’s what is bankrupting so many city governments.

http://online.worldmag.com/2010/12/15/tyranny...
Bull McCaffrey

United States

#89 Dec 29, 2010
This is OUTRAGEOUS!

In a time when everyone is suffering cuts, these high-school graduates get a 10% payraise?! And please don't cite the "risking their lives" BS. They are not like me (Bull McCaffrey), and this ain't some movie dramatization.

I wonder if someone will say whether A) Any TFD firemen has EVER lost their life on duty B) How many "backdraft" fires actually happen. How many fires did they actually fight here in Torrance? I'm gonna guess one a month?

If you want to see where your tax money is going, try go to Wilson Park any day of the week. You'll see the Firetruck parked there... and you'll see a fireman holding a walkie-talkie while taking a nice afternoon jog. While everyone is hard at work, these charlatans get to exercise on everyone's dime. It really is shameful.
Bull McCaffrey

United States

#90 Dec 29, 2010
Actually wrote:
I'm not a Firefighter, nor am I related to any firefighters.
The truth is that my wife was in a terrible car accident years ago, and the only reason she survived was the speed in which firefighters were able to pry her out of her car with the "jaws of life."
Maybe if one of your loved ones gets trapped in a car bleeding to death... maybe then you would support a standard of living increase for firefighters.
You aren't even brave enough to post your name on here. I doubt you would be brave enough to fight a fire or save another human being.
That's their F-n JOB! Do you think they'd react any slower, if they were ONLY paid $65k? I assume not, since these guys are such pious and high-character Supermen. What if, instead of using $1 million for 8 firemen--they employed 12, 15 firemen (at lower salary). Would they get to the scene just as fast?

I don't understand why firefighter is made to be such an exclusive position. What else are these guys gonna do? I know they are "heroes" and all, but what else could they do? I'll tell you what: longshorman

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#91 Dec 30, 2010
Bull McCaffrey wrote:
<quoted text>
That's their F-n JOB! Do you think they'd react any slower, if they were ONLY paid $65k? I assume not, since these guys are such pious and high-character Supermen. What if, instead of using $1 million for 8 firemen--they employed 12, 15 firemen (at lower salary). Would they get to the scene just as fast?
I don't understand why firefighter is made to
be such an exclusive position. What else are
these guys gonna do? I know they are
"heroes" and all, but what else could they
do? I'll tell you what: longshorman
Like most, you are uneducated. Its unfortunate.
TaxNoMore

Reseda, CA

#92 Dec 30, 2010
Third Party wrote:
<quoted text>
“The moral case for unions—protecting working families from exploitation—does not apply to public employment.

Government employees today are among the most protected, well-paid employees in the country.

Ironically, public-sector unions have become the exploiters, and working families once again need someone to stand up for them.”
Steven Seagal--Lawman

United States

#93 Dec 31, 2010
Third Party wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me why having more firemen employed, all at a more REASONABLE salary, is better than employing an *exclusive* number of men, is not a good measure. It helps the public to have MORE available firefighters (i.e. paramedic). And for any position, they will have hundreds if not thousands of applicants.

Why should only a SELECT few be employed? Answer that for me.
wenis johnson

Los Angeles, CA

#94 Jul 11, 2011
baby poop
Bob Lewis

Newport Beach, CA

#95 Jul 12, 2011
Don't worry. The Pensions won't bankrupt Torrance for at least four more years.

Don't blame the Firemen. The stupidest, most self destructive voters in America voted to destroy their own families future quality of life when they elected the Unioncrat politicians who awarded the Big Bonanzas in return for campaign support.
Doug

United States

#96 Sep 25, 2011
Your just a moron spouting your mouth off pretending you know something. Are you for real? Have you ever worked 24 hours straight?
BIG MONEY wrote:
$$$$$$$$$$
I would like to see that Torrance FD as well as other FD's go to a normal work schedule. Maybe do three shifts a day, all 8 hours in length and have them work that. I dont see the need for guys to be working 24 or 48 hours a time, its bad for us the public to have them working that amount of time without much sleep, also we are paying them a lot of money to sleep and sit around and watch tv.
Lets give them the raise, however require a change of work schedules.
TaxNoMore

United States

#97 Oct 30, 2011
Doug wrote:
Your just a moron spouting your mouth off pretending you know something. Are you for real? Have you ever worked 24 hours straight?
<quoted text>

Have you ever worked 24 hours straight?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,ha,ha,ha,ha

Your just a moron spouting your mouth off pretending you know something.

Are you for real?
TaxNoMore

United States

#100 Nov 6, 2011
Firefighting is a cushy job.

Firefighters may have the best work schedule in the United States—24 hours on, 48 hours off.

And those 24 hours are usually not terribly onerous.

While a few big-city fire stations may have four, five, six calls, or more during a shift, most aren't nearly that busy, giving firefighters time to give tours to school kids, barbecue hamburgers, wash fire engines, sleep, and pose for

"The Firefighters of Los Angeles, 2012" calendars.

Indeed, fire officials devote much of their time to figuring out how to cover up the fact they're not getting the hoses out very often.

So we have firefighters doing ambulance work, firefighters doing search-and-rescue work, anything but Job No. 1.

Meanwhile, the long days off give many firefighters a chance to start second careers.

That makes it easy for them to retire after 20 years, take a pension, and start another profession.

I've known firefighters who moonlighted as

builders, photographers, and attorneys.
cityworker

Los Angeles, CA

#101 May 24, 2012
Residing in Torrance wrote:
What's sad, is that they probably still could not afford to buy a median priced home in Torrance which is now around $600k. But the bright side: at least they'll be able to keep up with rent increases.
Alot of them live in the christmas tree lane area of torrance....way over 600 thou....we city workers havent gotten a raise in over four years while the cost of living still goes up...i know we have a rep for not working hard but thats not true at all...the city thought about giving us a raise about two years ago only if the fd and pd would take a little off their raise...of course they said no....and i just read they are getting their 6th ladder truck for 600 thousand...we only have about four high rises in torrance....why do they need 6 working ladder trucks? Ridiculous

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#102 Jun 30, 2012
cityworker wrote:
<quoted text>
Alot of them live in the christmas tree lane area of torrance....way over 600 thou....we city workers havent gotten a raise in over four years while the cost of living still goes up...i know we have a rep for not working hard but thats not true at all...the city thought about giving us a raise about two years ago only if the fd and pd would take a little off their raise...of course they said no....and i just read they are getting their 6th ladder truck for 600 thousand...we only have about four high rises in torrance....why do they need 6 working ladder trucks? Ridiculous
6 ladder trucks? you are obviously confused on what a ladder truck is...... They have 2 front line trucks and one reserve, and two of the three have aerial ladders that dont even work. And btw, you dont need to have "high rises" to have a ladder truck, all you need is a building over three stories tall....which are countless in the city
Tim

United States

#103 Jul 3, 2012
Good for them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elephant cement for sell at factory price N1000... Tue Dr Edeh 1
Adekunle Ajasin Uni-versity,AAUA admission list... Tue Dr Edeh 1
News Dining news: Japanese food fest in Torrance, L'... Aug 18 Andres Bonifacio 1
Review: Cascade Windows (Jul '10) Aug 11 crs1959 48
News Del Conte's (May '09) Aug 11 Roa 11
News All Los Angeles County Jails on Lockdown (Feb '06) Aug 6 dry lube 1,715
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) Jul '15 Raj 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Torrance Mortgages