Torrance traffic tickets up 60 percent

Full story: Daily Breeze 188
Torrance police issued 60 percent more traffic tickets in the first four months of 2010 over the same period last year - an increase attributed to the department's recent restructuring. Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
LOL

Los Angeles, CA

#209 May 26, 2010
joeblo wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on my observations of the police, it is my opinion that the police are pulling aggressive illegal manuevers violating the traffic laws at times because it is convenient to do so and no one will give them a ticket and at the same time writing tickets to motorists for the same violations.
If you truly believe that, then copy down their license #'s and turn them in. Have dates, times, locations and description of driver if you can.

I think you'll find in most cases, they have valid reason for their action.
joeblo i

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#210 May 26, 2010
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
If you truly believe that, then copy down their license #'s and turn them in. Have dates, times, locations and description of driver if you can.
I think you'll find in most cases, they have valid reason for their action.
LOL et al. I have said my peace on this subject. I am done. I appreciate your points of view as well. Thanks.
Oceanside

El Cajon, CA

#212 May 27, 2010
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Whiner
The remedy to this is simple. Come to a complete stop.
It's not hard, try it.
In may case at least, I did. I knew they were there and I was careful to come to a complete stop. Photos prove that the officer (from his hidden position) did not have a view of the limit line or my wheels. I'll fight my ticket and win but how many of my neighbors will grab their ankles and pay up? Fly trap ticketing is a lazy cop's cash cow and there is no defense for it.
Oceanside

El Cajon, CA

#213 May 28, 2010
Studies show that stop signs increase mid-block speeds and create violators of motorists who know the sign to be unwarranted. When not required to stop by cross street traffic, only 5 to 20% of all drivers come to a complete stop, 40 to 60% will come to a rolling stop below 5 mph, and 20 to 4O% will pass through at higher speeds. To repeatedly target these low-traffic areas for rolling stops is an injustice.

Branding 80-95% of all drivers criminal is an injustice. In this case it's only a teeny-tiny injustice, really, but even a little injustice is galling, and that erodes the usefulness of laws. If drivers KNOW they are driving in a way that's safe and respectful, but they're looking at a $242+ ticket they just got slapped with in a sting, they lose respect for law. Doesn't it seem like a problem if safety-minded, conscientious people lose respect for the law?
Douglas

La Mirada, CA

#215 Sep 18, 2010
Torrance Pd needs to keep up the enforcement and have a TASK FORCE to ticket those who are on cell phones. Another great idea would be to follow FIRE ENGINES and Ambulances and ticket those who do not pull over or even pass then when they are going to an emergency call.
Douglas

La Mirada, CA

#216 Sep 18, 2010
People have no idea about the teeny tiny injustice of being stopped. The thing about that is they catch real criminals that drive or those who do not have a license or insurance that are out there.

Get the facts :)
2020 vision

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#217 Oct 6, 2013
I love how Torrance motorcycle cops sit in Best Buy parking lot on PCH and Hawthorn between 11:00am and 6:00 pm, just waiting for the masses to turn left. They claim there are three signs completely visible stating no turn. Yes, I and 5 others are completely blind-oh yes, and the 60 others in the last two months. Yes, I found the signs two lanes over on both sides of the busy street. Might I mention that one of the signs is after the person has committed to the CURBED turning lane. What a scam! It is obviously poor positioning of the signs. I wrote a letter on deaf ears and requested engineer studies for the signage with no results. Money, money, money!!!!!
Concerned

Torrance, CA

#218 Feb 26, 2014
Motivated wrote:
I am a Police Officer and it makes me laugh at all the people complaining about getting a ticket and bashing the cops because they did their job. Don't violate the law and you won't get a ticket. You know, we do give a lot of warnings, which is our discretion. Maybe if you had a better attitude and took responsibility for making a mistake, we would be more inclined to give a warning. The intersection of Vista Montana and Newton is very well posted and has been for 20 years. If you can't see the signs, you should not be driving a car. I am going to spend extra special time there now in hopes i can catch one of the haters that think it is a trap. I will be happy to cite you and welcome your challenge in court.
Excellent point. Another area prone to both speeders and stop sign violators is on Monterey Street between Crenshaw and Maple. I hope you can direct an ATO there on occasion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr tcaud 19,486
Torrance Music Thread (Apr '14) Nov 24 Musikologist 2
Adopt-a-family for Christmas (Dec '08) Nov 23 tabitatoney 49
Review: Pro Elim Photo Photography Nov 22 padilla0607 2
LOS ANGELES: Consulado Mexicano Sobre Ruedas es... (Nov '08) Nov 22 reyvel 225
VISAS Y PASAPORTES MEXICANOS: Consulado Mexican... (Feb '13) Nov 20 Elvira Rodriguez 13
Who do you support for Governor in California i... (Oct '10) Nov 20 ketinomotermer 3,766

Torrance News Video

Torrance Dating
Find my Match

Torrance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Torrance News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Torrance

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:51 am PST