First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Joanne

AOL

#1 Nov 4, 2007
I've heard that the Del Amo mall is fast turning into a ghetto mall. The clientele that the mgmt had targeted for has not materialized. I was recently there and surprised at the types of stores in that mall. The outdoor wing is nice, but too expensive for most teens. If not for the theater, there would be no foot traffic. Never go there at night, it's not safe ...lots of police, but that only tells you that there could be trouble brewing. I grew up in the Torrance area and spent my teens years at the mall, but now that belongs in the past. Very sad to see what's happening.
Carrie

Waianae, HI

#2 Jan 8, 2008
True. It's 1/3 asian, 1/3 black, & 1/3 hispanic. I was literally the only white person in the mall. Just 10 years ago, it was at least half white.
Jean

AOL

#3 Jan 13, 2008
Nothing but a teen gathering hole in the new Lifestyle section. They just stand around giggling and chatting all over the place. Don't know how the stores are going to survive.

Indoors, it's even worse. Old and dark and just not appealing at all. Down near the Sears section it's a totally different world. If you shop at Sears, be prepared to listen to store announcements in Spanish and if you don't understand the language , it's your problem....Sears doesn't care about your business.

I tend to shop in other malls now, Del Amo is just a big mess.
Max

AOL

#4 Jan 19, 2008
Del Amo has gone way downhill and most locals just shop in anchor stores only. They don't stroll the mall. Actually I know many friends that just stop shopping there are all. Take a look at the bus stops, that's the customers Del Amo attracts. Mall really looks very ghetto-ish.
David -WHITE GUY

United States

#5 Feb 8, 2008
Carrie wrote:
True. It's 1/3 asian, 1/3 black, & 1/3 hispanic. I was literally the only white person in the mall. Just 10 years ago, it was at least half white.
FUNNY, THE NATIVE AMERICAN'S SAID SOMETHING SIMILAR A FEW YEARS AFTER THE PILGRIMS INVADED.
gREG

San Clemente, CA

#6 Feb 8, 2008
YOU GUYS ARE ALL RACIST WHITE DEVILS!!!!
HAHAHAHA!!!! YEAH WE DID TAKE OVER BITCHES
Gone From South Bay

Coalinga, CA

#7 Feb 12, 2008
Well, I guess the scumbags from Hawthorne, Inglewood and Lawndale had to go SOMEPLACE after they destroyed their mall in Hawthorne. The ghetto-ization of Del Amo is yet one more reason I moved out of LA, and have no intention of coming back. If the City of Torrance doesn't want to lose the taxpayers that keep them alive, they damned well better send the TPD (psychotic bastards that THEY are) to clean house and make Del Amo a good, safe place like it used to be.

Barring that politically incorrect act occuring, the scumbags can have the South Bay; I'm finished with it.
tilo

Rio Grande City, TX

#8 Feb 12, 2008
del amo is a cool place.
for teens that is .
i wonder if all these people that posted bad things are adults.
[it would figure]
ITS A MALL..TEENS LOVE THE MALL...
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT ...
GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Gone From South Bay

Gilroy, CA

#9 Feb 12, 2008
tilo wrote:
del amo is a cool place.
for teens that is .
i wonder if all these people that posted bad things are adults.
[it would figure]
ITS A MALL..TEENS LOVE THE MALL...
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT ...
GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Look, you snot-nosed asswipe: if it wasn't for adults, there would BE no malls for little dipsh*ts like you to ghetto-ize. I hung out at the Del Amo Mall back when it was a good place, so I'll make whatever comments I want: you ain't entitled to do so. Go somewhere else? I make and spend $$, which is what keeps malls going, Dummy. Store owners want ME there, not you; I help keep them alive. You got a job? Probably not. In school? Judging from your asinine posts, doubtful. You are just a useless drain on society who thinks its his right to trash malls. Hell, you're not even FROM Torrance: you're in God-forsaken Texas. Why are you even involved in this discussion? Get your welfare-cheating mother to change your diaper and then go outside and play a nice game of Hide-And-Go-Lose-Yourself, little boy. Morons like you make a wonderful argument in favor of abortion.
Bubbles

Aliso Viejo, CA

#10 Feb 12, 2008
Gone From South Bay wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, you snot-nosed asswipe: if it wasn't for adults, there would BE no malls for little dipsh*ts like you to ghetto-ize. I hung out at the Del Amo Mall back when it was a good place, so I'll make whatever comments I want: you ain't entitled to do so. Go somewhere else? I make and spend $$, which is what keeps malls going, Dummy. Store owners want ME there, not you; I help keep them alive. You got a job? Probably not. In school? Judging from your asinine posts, doubtful. You are just a useless drain on society who thinks its his right to trash malls. Hell, you're not even FROM Torrance: you're in God-forsaken Texas. Why are you even involved in this discussion? Get your welfare-cheating mother to change your diaper and then go outside and play a nice game of Hide-And-Go-Lose-Yourself, little boy. Morons like you make a wonderful argument in favor of abortion.
LMAO! Love it! You rock! I used to like Del Amo, but do you remember Old Towne Mall, that rocket they had in the back, you could go into it. How cool was that in the early 70's? I remember the carousel inside the Mall, but they took it out. All the riffraff from the north started to come in, and ruined both malls.
Bubbles

Aliso Viejo, CA

#11 Feb 12, 2008
Gone From South Bay wrote:
Well, I guess the scumbags from Hawthorne, Inglewood and Lawndale had to go SOMEPLACE after they destroyed their mall in Hawthorne. The ghetto-ization of Del Amo is yet one more reason I moved out of LA, and have no intention of coming back. If the City of Torrance doesn't want to lose the taxpayers that keep them alive, they damned well better send the TPD (psychotic bastards that THEY are) to clean house and make Del Amo a good, safe place like it used to be.
Barring that politically incorrect act occuring, the scumbags can have the South Bay; I'm finished with it.
Not all are bad that come out of Hawthorne - like myself. I agree 100% with your post.
Rosie - Lawndale

United States

#12 Mar 25, 2008
Putting aside, all of the above comments in reality does sound racist. In actuality, I have lived in the area during all the changes. Yes, having young children of my own- I literally have to go in and get what we need and get out. It is not about the ghetto, it boils down to parental supervision, moral and values. All families regardless, of background has a black sheep with-in. I do not think all whites are born with a silver spoon in their mouths. So maybe, you should do something to help out the community as to oppose lashing out. Just something for you to consider...
Gone From South Bay wrote:
Well, I guess the scumbags from Hawthorne, Inglewood and Lawndale had to go SOMEPLACE after they destroyed their mall in Hawthorne. The ghetto-ization of Del Amo is yet one more reason I moved out of LA, and have no intention of coming back. If the City of Torrance doesn't want to lose the taxpayers that keep them alive, they damned well better send the TPD (psychotic bastards that THEY are) to clean house and make Del Amo a good, safe place like it used to be.
Barring that politically incorrect act occuring, the scumbags can have the South Bay; I'm finished with it.
Carrie

San Pedro, CA

#13 Apr 10, 2008
Gone From South Bay wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, you snot-nosed asswipe: if it wasn't for adults, there would BE no malls for little dipsh*ts like you to ghetto-ize. I hung out at the Del Amo Mall back when it was a good place, so I'll make whatever comments I want: you ain't entitled to do so. Go somewhere else? I make and spend $$, which is what keeps malls going, Dummy. Store owners want ME there, not you; I help keep them alive. You got a job? Probably not. In school? Judging from your asinine posts, doubtful. You are just a useless drain on society who thinks its his right to trash malls. Hell, you're not even FROM Torrance: you're in God-forsaken Texas. Why are you even involved in this discussion? Get your welfare-cheating mother to change your diaper and then go outside and play a nice game of Hide-And-Go-Lose-Yourself, little boy. Morons like you make a wonderful argument in favor of abortion.
So abusive. I know I used to love hanging out at Del Amo in my preteen and teen age years. Why shouldn't the children today be able to have the same experience. Maybe if these children had better role models, one's who are not volatile like yourself, they would have a better chance at being respectful young people. You seem to expect more out of them than you do yourself. Hold yourself to the same standards. There is riff-raff every where, but we are often a product of our environment, this comment should be directed at an adult not a child. If treated right and taught to be a contributing member of society, he to will help these stores survive, just like you and I grew up and helped them stay in business. I guess we would rather keep those who are not like us far away. Out of sight, out of mind????? P.S. I personally found your post more asinine than I found his.
Bubbles

Aliso Viejo, CA

#14 May 24, 2008
Carrie wrote:
<quoted text>
So abusive. I know I used to love hanging out at Del Amo in my preteen and teen age years. Why shouldn't the children today be able to have the same experience. Maybe if these children had better role models, one's who are not volatile like yourself, they would have a better chance at being respectful young people. You seem to expect more out of them than you do yourself. Hold yourself to the same standards. There is riff-raff every where, but we are often a product of our environment, this comment should be directed at an adult not a child. If treated right and taught to be a contributing member of society, he to will help these stores survive, just like you and I grew up and helped them stay in business. I guess we would rather keep those who are not like us far away. Out of sight, out of mind????? P.S. I personally found your post more asinine than I found his.
Uh, he's right.
Sharon

AOL

#15 May 25, 2008
I only shop at Macys these days and never stroll thru the mall anymore. People lack manners or courtesy these days, both adults and teens.
Never ever go to the Sears/Penney end of the mall -- sorry it's like Mexico. Yes, I have noticed all the Spanish signs in both Sears and Penneys. Sears only broadcast in Spanish too, if you don't understand the language -- too bad for you ! That's Sears' attitude.
M A Lopez

North Hills, CA

#16 Jun 11, 2008
Carrie wrote:
<quoted text>
So abusive. I know I used to love hanging out at Del Amo in my preteen and teen age years. Why shouldn't the children today be able to have the same experience. Maybe if these children had better role models, one's who are not volatile like yourself, they would have a better chance at being respectful young people. You seem to expect more out of them than you do yourself. Hold yourself to the same standards. There is riff-raff every where, but we are often a product of our environment, this comment should be directed at an adult not a child. If treated right and taught to be a contributing member of society, he to will help these stores survive, just like you and I grew up and helped them stay in business. I guess we would rather keep those who are not like us far away. Out of sight, out of mind????? P.S. I personally found your post more asinine than I found his.
I completely agree.
I just want to ask, what is ghetto to the rest of the people on this post? Would I be considered ghetto because I grew up in East Long Beach, surrounded by gangmembers. I had lived in a 2 bedroom apartment most of my life. I have an accent. My parents came from Mexico just a couple of years before I was born. My mom can somewhat speak English. I use the public bus systems. I love hanging out at malls even when I don't have money just to be with my friends.
Would that make me ghetto?
Or how about the fact that i attend the number 4 magnet school in the nation? Number three high school in California. I am graduating soon and going to Berkeley on mostly scholarships. My dad speaks fluent english and owns his own business. I don't smoke or do stupid drugs.

Since: Mar 08

Coalinga, CA

#17 Jun 13, 2008
M A Lopez wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely agree.
I just want to ask, what is ghetto to the rest of the people on this post? Would I be considered ghetto because I grew up in East Long Beach, surrounded by gangmembers. I had lived in a 2 bedroom apartment most of my life. I have an accent. My parents came from Mexico just a couple of years before I was born. My mom can somewhat speak English. I use the public bus systems. I love hanging out at malls even when I don't have money just to be with my friends.
Would that make me ghetto?
Yes, I believe that it would.

Since: Mar 08

Coalinga, CA

#18 Jun 13, 2008
Carrie wrote:
<quoted text>
So abusive. I know I used to love hanging out at Del Amo in my preteen and teen age years. Why shouldn't the children today be able to have the same experience. Maybe if these children had better role models, one's who are not volatile like yourself, they would have a better chance at being respectful young people. You seem to expect more out of them than you do yourself. Hold yourself to the same standards. There is riff-raff every where, but we are often a product of our environment, this comment should be directed at an adult not a child. If treated right and taught to be a contributing member of society, he to will help these stores survive, just like you and I grew up and helped them stay in business. I guess we would rather keep those who are not like us far away. Out of sight, out of mind????? P.S. I personally found your post more asinine than I found his.
Uh, yeah: a PV chick. THERE'S an expert on reality...
M A Lopez

North Hills, CA

#19 Jun 19, 2008
Gone From South Bay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I believe that it would.
Apparently you chose to completely ignore the second half of my comment, where I mentioned that I am getting a better education than you ever had. The fact is I have class unlike some people who judge others by what they think they know about them. I'm glad I'm moving up in this world and don't have to deal with judgemental people like you.
Dawn

Mesquite, TX

#20 Jun 23, 2008
I grew up in Lawndale,back in the 80s Del Amo Mall was the place to be with your friends to just hang out go to movie's ,arcade, the food court seems like the kids are still doing this so whats the problem and before you say its race is not the issue(I am White) as I remember it was one of those malls where all colors where and we all got along which at that time was a blessing even Old Town Mall the one with the carousel was a safe place. Hawthorne mall was for awhile. When South Bay Mall was just South Bay before the Galleria was built we hung out there to at the movies etc. HAS it changed so much ??I am a Cailfornian born and raised JUST married a Army man and have been moving around so dont make any stick to your state crap please I can make statements for Cailfornia is my Heart and Soul..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Dudley 20,710
News Incarceration nation: What it's really like whe... Dec 4 concerned res 1
News The 30-year metal reign of Tom Araya and Slayer (Aug '12) Dec 3 T Rump 4
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Redondo Beach (Oct '15) Dec 2 Madeline 58
What is the back story re Scottsdale Townhomes (Apr '10) Dec 1 BGnLA1 18
News Adopt-a-family for Christmas (Dec '08) Dec 1 djmillar1 56
News What Do a Woman's Breast Implants Have to Do Wi... Nov 30 concerned res 1

Torrance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Torrance Mortgages