SOUTH BAY HISTORY: Drive-in dairies

Full story: Daily Breeze

Torrance. In the era before 7-Elevens and gas station mini- marts, drive-in dairies served as the original convenience store.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Dec 15, 2013
Red W Blue

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

Judged:

The cows are elected! They are at Torrance City Hall & Sacramento, but resemble donkeys!

Since: Nov 09

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

Judged:

Too bad; it would have been nice to still see some of the things from the past.
Common Sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

There is still one open located on Aviation and Ford in North Redondo Beach.....
Ron

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

Judged:

Is it just me, or does "the story" sound a bit incomplete?

In around the 1958 time period, this 59 y/o recalls visiting a local dairy with Cub Scouts and school classes. Usually got our choice of chocolate milk or regular milk at the end of the tour. Guess one time they were out of chocolate milk, so the tour guide told us that their best chocolate milk cow had died. That statement sure made a group of us 8 year olds quite sad.
BInformed

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

Judged:

I grew up with the Quinn boys in Southwood Little League. They were a great, hard working family, that was literally driven out of Torrance. I fondly remember climbing up into the haystacks, watching a baby cow being born, and always being treated kindly by Mr. and Mrs. Quinn. Those were the good old days...
Anna

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

Judged:

I remember the dairies - especially the one on Hawthorne. Somehow I remember the entrance being closer to 238th - but then I was just a kid. We lived behind what is now between Lomita Bl and Best Buy. Our dad would speak Dutch with the proprietor at the dairy. I also remember the horse flies that we would get in the summer supposedly because of the dairy. Too bad there aren't any pictures with this article.
catwoman

Fullerton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

I remember one drive-in dairy; over by West High School. We use to ride our horses over there and no, I'm not talking about the early 1900's. This was in the early 1970's. It was a blast and I miss it.
Larry Altman reporter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

Read Sam Gnerre's complete story on dairies and many other stories about South Bay History at http://insidesocal.com/history/
Hmmmmm

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

The dairy on Crenshaw in North Torr was a favorite of my family becasue you could get what my Mother called a "cow", which was a huge container of milk, maybe 2.5 gal, and we kids could look at the cows. Good memories!
kwazywabbit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

Who remembers Bab's Drive-in on Inglewood Ave near 140th St? Or Lawndale Dairy on Marine near Hawthorne Blvd? Great places for under-age beer purchases. Statue of limitations over, I hope??!!:P
R-Smart

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

We used to buy our milk at Quinn's Dairy. I remember Mr. Rocha who milked the cows there and his son John worked out front at the Cash & Carry. In those days, the milk was sold in glass bottles.

We enjoyed watching the milk bottles being filled through the front window at the Cash & Carry. We could buy our bread, butter and even eggs without even getting out of our car. Those were fun days.
pedroman Lifetimer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

lets not forget Lochman Farm's located on Western an Avenida Apprenda. What was the tennis club(now condiminmiums) right next to the old navy housing. It was in in operation until the 70"s. You could stop in at anytime an see a true wirking dairty, cows and all.
usetobe resident

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

loved the convenience of lochman farms and it was great for the kids to see a real dairy. also liked adorr milk delivered to your door, bottled milk was so much better with out the hormones and plastic of today.it tasted completely different than the milk of today.
Fred

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2009

What about Hudson Dairy in North Torrance on Van Ness. I'm pretty sure they had cows in the 70's. Great memories.
R-Smart

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2010

What ever happened to Woody Wilson from Quinn's Dairy. He was so funny and the customers really liked him. Hope he did well!

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

pedroman Lifetimer wrote:
lets not forget Lochman Farm's located on Western an Avenida Apprenda. What was the tennis club(now condiminmiums) right next to the old navy housing. It was in in operation until the 70"s. You could stop in at anytime an see a true wirking dairty, cows and all.
During the 1960 presidential campaign they handed out what I recall was about 81/2 X 11 photos of Kennedy and Nixon (separately, not together in the photos) to customers.
cosmo longhorn

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2010

organophosphate are insecticides that interferes with an insect's nervous system

organophosphate - are organic compounds containing phosphorus, some of which are used as fertilizers and pesticides.

organophosphate - are any ester of phosphoric acid or its derivatives, especially one used as an insecticide or herbicide and the esters will link with testosterone or estrone of any hormone, example, prostaglandin; and will atttack cells in the form of causing cell mis-transcription;

Pesticides that contain phosphorus are short-lived, because they combine forming esters with hormones of plants and humans and animals and insects, and are toxic when first applied and only seemingly brokendown; by then the damage is done
Trailhead

Ivins, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

Our MEADOW PARK ELEMENTARY class would walk across the street in a line to this dairy and buy our carton of milk or get an ice cream. We didn't like our schools nickname though, because of our close proximity to the dairy. Other schools called us "Manure Park."
Anna wrote:
I remember the dairies - especially the one on Hawthorne. Somehow I remember the entrance being closer to 238th - but then I was just a kid. We lived behind what is now between Lomita Bl and Best Buy. Our dad would speak Dutch with the proprietor at the dairy. I also remember the horse flies that we would get in the summer supposedly because of the dairy. Too bad there aren't any pictures with this article.
Sharon

Rocklin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2013

Fred wrote:
What about Hudson Dairy in North Torrance on Van Ness. I'm pretty sure they had cows in the 70's. Great memories.
Hudson Dairy sold the cows in the 60's.
Sharon

Rocklin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2013

The cows from Hudson Dairy were sold around 1965.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Torrance Discussions

Search the Torrance Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 3 hr Commander Bunny 4,897
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 hr Right Direction 200,361
Review: Cascade Windows (Jul '10) 19 hr Thoroughly disappointed 45
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Jul 28 snodder 2,252
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Jul 27 Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 27 Facts facts 15,927
Torrance Police substation at Del Amo Fashion C... (Aug '09) Jul 21 Del Amo LP 86
•••
•••

Torrance News Video

•••
•••

Torrance Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Torrance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE