Boy dies in fall from Lakers' luxury ...

Boy dies in fall from Lakers' luxury suite during Sunday's game

There are 91 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Nov 22, 2010, titled Boy dies in fall from Lakers' luxury suite during Sunday's game. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

A young boy has died from a fall from a luxury suite following the Lakers' Sunday night game against the Golden State Warriors at Staples Center, a police spokesman said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Wow

Mission Viejo, CA

#1 Nov 22, 2010
Great parenting and here come the lawyers.
Cougars 2000

United States

#2 Nov 22, 2010
Where the "fudge" where the parents/guardians???????
HB Mom

Camarillo, CA

#4 Nov 22, 2010
I was at a Clipper game recently and we saw 2 guys horsing around in box and said they could easily have fallen out of the box. So unfortunately it doesn't surprise me.

So so sad.

Since: Sep 10

United States

#6 Nov 22, 2010
Balcony, 2-3 year old, low railings, poor supervision by parents, and NO protective screening all contributed to this child's death.

There is NO EXCUSE to bring that young of a child to a sporting event especially up into a fifty foot high balcony and then to ignore the child just so the parent(s)could enjoy the game that the innocent child had no clue about in the first place.

This is exactly what you can expect when a person is more concerned about their own interest to the point that they forget about their parental responsibilities. If they could afford a ticket to the event, then they could have afforded a baby-sitter.
Rest of Story

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Nov 22, 2010
LA Times has much more information. It seems like the parents should be looking for a lawyer to somehow explain away the fact that the kid had "gotten away from them" and they were looking for him when he fell. Hopefully when CPS gets done with them they will no longer have any kids to interfere with their Lakers games.
CityWithAHometow nFeel

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Nov 22, 2010
In general, not sure how to avoid this type of accident. Short of enclosing every luxury box and upper level tier with plastic sheets I'm not sure how much can be done to prevent people from falling. Adults have a responsibility to watch out for their kids. If adults are lax in the attention they give to their kids incidents like this will happen.

I seem to recall there was another death at Staples about a year ago when some guy who was severely drunk was above the entrance tunnel and fell to his death. There may be other incidents. Unfortunate, but stuff like this happens. Life is not risk-free. For adults, and for kids.

“Quotes don't replace thinking”

Since: Aug 08

Temecula

#9 Nov 22, 2010
Say You Dont wrote:
Balcony, 2-3 year old, low railings, poor supervision by parents, and NO protective screening all contributed to this child's death.
There is NO EXCUSE to bring that young of a child to a sporting event especially up into a fifty foot high balcony and then to ignore the child just so the parent(s)could enjoy the game that the innocent child had no clue about in the first place.
This is exactly what you can expect when a person is more concerned about their own interest to the point that they forget about their parental responsibilities. If they could afford a ticket to the event, then they could have afforded a baby-sitter.
Also, at least in the suites that I've visited, there's a ledge in front of the seats in the first row that's probably about 16"-18" off the ground. It's easy for a little one to climb and is one step closer to the top of the low-clearance panels.
Law Abiding Citizen

Downey, CA

#10 Nov 22, 2010
The idiots put him on the railing to take a picture of him and he slipped or managed to wriggle away from them.

http://www.sportsrageous.com/toddler-dies-aft...

Some people have NO BUSINESS having children.

RIP, Little Dude.

“Quotes don't replace thinking”

Since: Aug 08

Temecula

#11 Nov 22, 2010
Law Abiding Citizen wrote:
The idiots put him on the railing to take a picture of him and he slipped or managed to wriggle away from them.
http://www.sportsrageous.com/toddler-dies-aft...
Some people have NO BUSINESS having children.
RIP, Little Dude.
All due respect, the attached article didn't support your statement.
Pablo got yo yob Perez

Beverly Hills, CA

#12 Nov 22, 2010
Having a 6 month old and a 2 year old, I cannot imaging the pain, the horror, the fear that this young child had to bear during his fall and the moments before he passed.

It really doesnt matter to me what the parents are feeling. Poor little guy didnt deserve this...accident or not.
Where Is The Boy

Encinitas, CA

#13 Nov 22, 2010
Should Have Been Sitting At Ground Floor Level,Poor Kid, RIP, Your Mommy And Daddy Are Going To Get A Lot Of Money
Law Abiding Citizen

Downey, CA

#14 Nov 22, 2010
Ah yes, it was updated from what was posted this morning.

Still, I find it hard to believe a toddler would get up there on his own. In addition to the actual wall, there is plexiglass that is about another foot high.(2-3 feet high directly in front of the stairs that go down from the suites.

I'm just glad the Abused Child unit is involved. Now if they only get over to La Habra once they are done with this case!
Pedro Sanchez

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Nov 22, 2010
The Parents didn't want to pay my cousin maria OT to look out for the kid, she used to take care of him 12 hours a day. bad parenting !

Since: Sep 10

United States

#17 Nov 22, 2010
Where Is The Boy wrote:
Should Have Been Sitting At Ground Floor Level,Poor Kid, RIP, Your Mommy And Daddy Are Going To Get A Lot Of Money
It is not the responsibility of the village to safely raise your child. That is YOUR responsibility. If you have to be led by the hand and told what is dangerous for your child and what is not, then maybe you shouldn't have children. Common sense should have been applied here and obviously it wasn't. Stop trying to push that responsibility off onto someone else.

No one has ever fallen off of that balcony before and the minute an unattended child falls, you want to give that inattentive parent money for their negligence. There should never ever be any profit in being a negligent parent.
carlos

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Nov 22, 2010
my deepest sympathy to the boy family.
thats ridiculus

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Nov 22, 2010
I know illegals that will work OT without OT pay. Your cousin sounds like a wannabe greengo.
Big Lou

Valley Village, CA

#20 Nov 22, 2010
Toss the parents off from that suite. See how they like falling 50 feet.
Law Abiding Citizen

Downey, CA

#21 Nov 22, 2010
Where Is The Boy wrote:
Your Mommy And Daddy Are Going To Get A Lot Of Money
What an idiot. Mommy and daddy will be lucky not to end up in jail.
Jimmy

Whittier, CA

#22 Nov 22, 2010
The little boy wanted to take a photo so he climbed to the edge and lost his balance and feel 50 feet to the concrete below. Alot of workers and fans saw him fall. Parents were not anywhere near him so there was no way to grab him when he fell.

Since: Jan 10

Long Beach, CA

#23 Nov 22, 2010
Somebody needs to be prosecuted for putting this child in that kind of danger

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Earl 20,624
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) 23 hr Human 19
News Manhattan Beach police have issued 17,002 ticke... (May '09) Mon Slade surfer Thom... 19
Torrance Mugshots and Criminal Arrest Records Mon Slade surfer Thom... 3
News New MB rules aim to halt mansionization (Feb '08) Sep 21 Janet R 17
Fog Horn in Marina Del Rey (Dec '10) Sep 21 westsidesurf 10
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Sep 21 El Jiringas 4,515

Torrance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Torrance Mortgages