Are tickets over the line?

Are tickets over the line?

There are 170 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Sep 4, 2010, titled Are tickets over the line?. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

A driver crosses double yellow lines to avoid a traffic snarl that is blocking access to the left turn lane on eastbound Torrance Boulevard at the corner with Crenshaw Boulevard.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
The Way It Is

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Sep 4, 2010
Simple, don't cross the double yellow line, and you don't get a ticket. Have some patience.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 09

USA

#2 Sep 4, 2010
Wow, very professionally reported. Quite in depth and probing. I should say it held my interest. Not the usual run of the mill article. The quality of the reporting might mollify the Breeze critics this go 'round. Very well done. Kudos Nick Green.

USA

#3 Sep 4, 2010
The Way It Is wrote:
Simple, don't cross the double yellow line, and you don't get a ticket. Have some patience.
Some people must actually have a job to go to every morning. I could see how anything that would interfere with making it to work in a timely fashion would be quite irritating to say the least. To add insult to injury you are further delayed when you are subsequently pulled over. Their patience was certainly tested in that respect. I used be rousted all the time. I would be routinely pulled over only to be let go after being queried and establishing I wasn't a hoodlum. Once it was at 5am and I told the officer I appreciated that he was doing his job but he was making me late for work. I would be dressed in my hospital scrubs and all. Thank goodness I have different hours now. Yes, patience. We'd all like more of it. Do tell !!!
Steve

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Sep 5, 2010
Careful Mr. Green... your "reporting" is bordering on an editorial with all your personal interjections. The editors at your prestigious paper may not pick up on it, but if you plan on getting anywhere with a career as a journalist, you may want to watch yourself and your inherent biases.
Code 3

Cerritos, CA

#5 Sep 5, 2010
What a loser this Doug Macglashan is,, doesn't he have anything better to do when he eventually goes to work? Nothing better than to sit and watch the cops doing their job. Get a life! Maybe he didn't qualify to become a cop and was disqualified during backgrounds.
PAC-10

Anaheim, CA

#6 Sep 5, 2010
Code 3 wrote:
What a loser this Doug Macglashan is,, doesn't he have anything better to do when he eventually goes to work? Nothing better than to sit and watch the cops doing their job. Get a life! Maybe he didn't qualify to become a cop and was disqualified during backgrounds.
Hey we should all watch how our civil servants do their jobs. Checks and Balance is the way to go.
Native

Redondo Beach, CA

#7 Sep 5, 2010
Doug MacGlashan is now on the TPD blacklist and will need to watch his back from now on.
Don Diller

Van Nuys, CA

#8 Sep 5, 2010
One solution would be to take an officer or two and put them into the intersection to direct traffic during rush hour instead of sending the wolf pack to cite motorists.
jim

Kaneohe, HI

#9 Sep 5, 2010
Either many motorists don't know that it is against the law to cross the double yellow line to get to the left hand turn land, or there are a lot of motorists who think the laws are stupid and therefore don't apply to them. Morons.
The Way It Is

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Sep 5, 2010
Garrett Lee wrote:
<quoted text>Some people must actually have a job to go to every morning.
Here's a novel idea, maybe leave with enough time to get to work. I work in the Valley, and I always leave an hour and a half before I have to be there. Most of the time I get there with 15 minutes or so to spare. Sometimes I'm lucky and get there 30 minutes early, and I have some time to grab something to eat. But, I've only been late once in 2 1/2 years. Even when I get stuck in typical LA traffic, I don't have to cut over the double yellow line in order to make it on time.
Wow

Mission Viejo, CA

#11 Sep 5, 2010
Replace the lines with center dividers and no more violators :)

Why can't people just obey the law?
Wow

Mission Viejo, CA

#12 Sep 5, 2010
Garrett Lee wrote:
<quoted text>Some people must actually have a job to go to every morning. I could see how anything that would interfere with making it to work in a timely fashion would be quite irritating to say the least. To add insult to injury you are further delayed when you are subsequently pulled over. Their patience was certainly tested in that respect. I used be rousted all the time. I would be routinely pulled over only to be let go after being queried and establishing I wasn't a hoodlum. Once it was at 5am and I told the officer I appreciated that he was doing his job but he was making me late for work. I would be dressed in my hospital scrubs and all. Thank goodness I have different hours now. Yes, patience. We'd all like more of it. Do tell !!!
Leave earlier, DUH!!!!

Your lack of judgement is no excuse.
AllabouttheBenja mins

Redondo Beach, CA

#13 Sep 5, 2010
Don Diller wrote:
One solution would be to take an officer or two and put them into the intersection to direct traffic during rush hour instead of sending the wolf pack to cite motorists.
But then they couldn't collect their $$$.
Retired

Walnut, CA

#14 Sep 5, 2010
Good job Nick ...

Good job MacGlashan

Poor job TPD, really poor job Capt. David Smith, for you $200K salary you are really cheating the citizens of Torrance.

Likewise, a really poor job goes to Craig Bilezerian.

The overpaid bureaucrats in Torrance are "theoretically" supposed to work together to provide "services" to the citizens of Torrance. "Crappy" intersection design isn't a "service". The insular, "its not our problem" attitude of the police is an abject failure of police management.

If the TPD was worth what they are being paid, they wouldn't need management intervention, the individual officers, noting the high number of violations and/or accidents would have call a meeting with the relevant traffic engineers and both would have been working to solve the problem before anyone was hurt.

But instead, the motor cops treated it like their own private "cherry patch" and the management of both the police department and the traffic engineering department went along fat dumb and happy cashing their paychecks until Nick had the gall to actually publish a real story about a problem.(And Nick probably wouldn't have noticed the story if MacGlashan hadn't called him.)

Capt. David Smith and Craig Bilezerian both ought to be terminated for incompetence.(Smith, because in his "command and control" organization, wasn't "commanding" or "controlling" anything. And Bilezerian for failing to keep track of police traffic activites which any dolt could see are related to traffic design.)

But this is government, and the bad guys here will keep getting paid until things break totally, then they will demand more money to make things worse.

USA

#15 Sep 5, 2010
Wow wrote:
Replace the lines with center dividers and no more violators :)
Why can't people just obey the law?
OBVIOUSLY they thought it enough of a problem to investigate further and suspend enforcement. Roads are not always engineered correctly. Some are deemed hazards and are redone. Usually after someone loses their life and they are made to rethink if it could have been a contributing factor. IE;for a road to be safe at a certain speed a engineering study has to deem it so. Duh! That's why they are consulting said dept. in this case. Some laws need to, are are often amended. Some laws are just plain stupid. We used to have to drive 55 MPH, not so anymore. Why? b/c things change for a reason. Obviously they studied the situ and determined the change was warranted. You are probably one of those knucklehead's that drives 65 mph in the fast lane just because you stubbornly want to follow the law. Plenty of people would disagree with you while technically you would be correct in doing so. I myself have been pulled over in the number three lane and warned for "not going with the flow of traffic". You are probably too young but there used to be a thing called prohibition. Well, that too changed. Things are not always so black and white. Me, I like seeing things in color. Thinking outside the box would serve you better.
What

Ava, MO

#16 Sep 5, 2010
"So this is how Liberty dies with thunderous applause."

USA

#17 Sep 5, 2010
The Way It Is wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a novel idea, maybe leave with enough time to get to work. I work in the Valley, and I always leave an hour and a half before I have to be there. Most of the time I get there with 15 minutes or so to spare. Sometimes I'm lucky and get there 30 minutes early, and I have some time to grab something to eat. But, I've only been late once in 2 1/2 years. Even when I get stuck in typical LA traffic, I don't have to cut over the double yellow line in order to make it on time.
Yeah, my Dad was like you. I'm on Chinese time - one hour later. If I had to drive an hour and a half to work I'd kill myself. As it is, it takes me forty five minutes to an hour to get to work. You are probably one of the perfect ones. I on the other hand, am occasionally late and sometimes violate traffic laws. Because unlike you I'm not so perfect. Nor do I strive to be. Me, hopefully I'll be late for my own funeral.

USA

#18 Sep 5, 2010
Don Diller wrote:
Well said !!! I like that alternative. At least 'till they sort it out. You my man, are using you noodle.
Revenue Commissioner

Redlands, CA

#19 Sep 5, 2010
Yes, this is definitely revenue for the city of Torrance. We have wealthy residents and not much crime, so an overallocation of resources for petty violations. Especially a few blocks from the police station on Torrance Boulevard. Have lived n 5 states and have never seen a level of over enforcement like I have here.
Haddit

Pico Rivera, CA

#20 Sep 5, 2010
Creating a temporary median by placing sand/water filled barrels would block drivers from crossing over, and could easily be removed for parades.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City of Inglewood 12 hr INGLEWOOD CALIFORNIA 2
Review: McDonald's 12 hr MCDONALDS INGLEWOOD 3
Review: Chervon Gas Station 12 hr CHERVON INGLEWOOD 3
Review: Hollywood Park at Los Angeles Rams Stadium 13 hr LOS ANGELES CHARG... 6
Review: Church's Chicken 22 hr CHURCHS CHICKEN I... 2
Review: Taco Bell 23 hr TACO BELL INGLEWOOD 2
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Mon NKOTBLOCC 4,544

Torrance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Torrance Mortgages