California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments
4,841 - 4,860 of 4,895 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Decide what

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Jul 11

Judged:

Last week, five Republican-appointed men on the Supreme Court decided that bosses have total power to deny critical health care to their employees..

Under our bill, employers would not get to pick and choose which health benefits their employees will get and which they won't because your boss or employer should not get to decide what health care is right for you and your family.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Jul 11

Judged:

Helpful Hank wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say there were evangelicals on the bench. I said the justices there should be removed. Their ruling provided for special rights for Christians.
Helpful Hank.

Yes. I agree. In today's world of Orwellian NEWSPEAK, we would do well to define terms prior to engaging in political discourse. It has often been noted that who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

Before debating whether our Jewish friends and the Roman Catholics sitting on the Government high Court are providing "special rights" for evangelical **(Protestant)** Christians, we must review the historical record. Only then can we determine what we mean by "special rights".

If "special rights". is defined as the generally accepted - or the assumed - meaning, such a definition would certainly be a tribute to revolutionary occupied Government schools that have been tasked with the "dumbing down" of the populace ever since the 60s 70s revolutionary era began. It's all a matter of how well we understand the meaning of the language being used.

Ronald
truth-facts

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Jul 11

Judged:

Decide what wrote:
Last week, five Republican-appointed men on the Supreme Court decided that bosses have total power to deny critical health care to their employees..
Under our bill, employers would not get to pick and choose which health benefits their employees will get and which they won't because your boss or employer should not get to decide what health care is right for you and your family.
FALSE war on women.
Your great at repeating dumbazz talking points.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Jul 11

Judged:

Decide what wrote:
No, the issue wasn't "deny critical health care" or employers deciding what health care is right for you and your family; the issue was forcing employers to pay for abortions and abortifacients against their religious beliefs that a fetus is a human being.

Democrats enacted the Religious Freedom and Restoration Act, Vice President Joe Biden to name just one. The conservative justices applied the law fairly to all.
Go Play

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Friday Jul 11

Judged:

Just take your plastic bags and go play some where else then.
joe

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Well Duh wrote:
Trying to be efficient and earth friendly, we use the paper bags three times before they wind up in their final "resting place." The first use is to carry out the groceries (we also use canvas bags as well). Secondly, we use them to collect all the recyclable (bottles, egg cartons, cans, etc.) trash in the house and then it all goes to the recycle bin that the City trash service picks up. Lastly, and most importantly, we use them to pick up the dog poop.

Did someone mention placing the plastic bags over the legislators' heads? Now that is a good start.:)
Indeed
sarah

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

joe wrote:
<quoted text>Indeed
Double agree

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Want proof the war is waged by ISIS, not Catholics?
The Obama Administration’s Border-Crisis Plan B: Use the Catholic Church
The federal government reaches out to a California diocese to help shelter illegal immigrants in California.
By Ryan Lovelace

In order to avoid future clashes with the citizens of Murrieta, Calif., over attempts to transfer illegal immigrants there, the Obama administration has turned to an unusual bedfellow: the Catholic Church. Deacon Luis Sanchez of the Diocese of San Bernardino tells National Review Online that an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent approached the diocese on July 2, 2014, and “expressed his desire for the Church to help in helping these families reach their destination.” Since that time, he says, diocesan officials have spoken on the phone with ICE, and they held a planning meeting on Monday.

John Andrews, the diocese’s director of communications who attended the planning meeting, tells NRO that the idea is to set up “transitional centers” where volunteers and representatives from Catholic Charities would provide food, medical, and spiritual care for families who have been processed at a Border Patrol station. He says he hopes to help the people pushed out of Murrieta, and would need to accommodate 140 people arriving every three days. Andrews says he expects the centers will house mostly mothers and their children for one or two days. But if there’s a situation where a family needs to stay longer than a day or two, he says that placing illegal immigrants with a local family would represent a “very viable option.”....
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/382352/...
Oldies news stand

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Judged:

OLD NEWS, get another source facts folder.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Want proof the war is waged by ISIS, not Catholics?
<quoted text>
Brian_G.

Good point. The Godless "Liberals"***(now in power)*** like nothing better than to ban all mention of the Christian religion of our fathers from the public square. The only exception is when it furthers their revolutionary agenda.

Ronald
Oldies news stand

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Judged:

OLD NEWS, get another source facts folder or newspaper stand to hock your BS from.
Sins of the Father

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Brian_G.
Good point. The Godless "Liberals"***(now in power)*** like nothing better than to ban all mention of the Christian religion of our fathers from the public square. The only exception is when it furthers their revolutionary agenda.
Ronald
Your silly religions do not belong in the public square. Keep that superstitious garbage in the churches, where idiots are free to gather and embrace such stupidity.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Judged:

Sins of the Father wrote:
<quoted text>
Your silly religions do not belong in the public square. Keep that superstitious garbage in the churches, where idiots are free to gather and embrace such stupidity.
Sins of the Father.

Well, that is a debate I choose not to enter into. As I previously stated, the Godless "Liberals"***(now in power)*** like nothing better than to ban all mention of the Christian religion of our fathers from the public square. It strikes me as rather curious that the nation's first African president and his White "Liberal" cronies and hangers-on would then appeal to the Catholic church when doing so fits their revolutionary agenda. This was reported by Brian_G in post # 5691. I have no reason to believe his post is untrue.

Ronald
Sins of the Father

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Sins of the Father.
Well, that is a debate I choose not to enter into. As I previously stated, the Godless "Liberals"***(now in power)*** like nothing better than to ban all mention of the Christian religion of our fathers from the public square. It strikes me as rather curious that the nation's first African president and his White "Liberal" cronies and hangers-on would then appeal to the Catholic church when doing so fits their revolutionary agenda. This was reported by Brian_G in post # 5691. I have no reason to believe his post is untrue.
Ronald
Who is the "our" in "our fathers"? You and a friend? What is it about your father's religion that you mistakenly feel you're forbidden to discuss? Obviously you can't be talking about the founding fathers of the U.S. as they were mostly deists or atheists; very few of them were Christian.

It is the founding fathers we have to thank for our not having an official religion in this country. They wanted no part of that as the First Amendment clearly demonstrates. Of course you already know that if you ever studied the history of the United States.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Judged:

<quoted text>
Who is the "our" in "our fathers"? You and a friend? What is it about your father's religion that you mistakenly feel you're forbidden to discuss? Obviously you can't be talking about the founding fathers of the U.S. as they were mostly deists or atheists; very few of them were Christian.
It is the founding fathers we have to thank for our not having an official religion in this country. They wanted no part of that as the First Amendment clearly demonstrates. Of course you already know that if you ever studied the history of the United States.
Sins of the Father.

Yes. I am not particularly religious, but I agree. That is a myth that comes from the 60s 70s revolutionary era. In order to rule, the so-called Godless "Liberals" first designed to destroy all sense of community, cohesion, and commonality among the American people. The fact is that, ever since even before its founding, America has been Christian, governed by Christian law and Christian values. That all changed once the revolutionaries found they could easily manipulate the self-serving "know nothing" generation, an effete generation whose womenfolk were incapable of even successfully reproducing their own kind. That generation is even now receiving their just reward. They are simply dying off, becoming a taunt and a curse to succeeding generations.

Please do not misunderstand, Sins of the Father. I do not mean to imply that there have not been evil people and evil doers in the land. How could man ever know good unless he has evil with which to compare the good? In fact, the Lord addressed that very issue. According to the word of the living God:

" For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ." (Jude 1:4)

"Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men:" (1 Thessalonians 2:15)

"Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, to fill up their sins alway: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost." (1 Thessalonians 2:16)

Ronald

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Judged:

Our founding fathers were Christians of many denominations. We have religious freedom, until same sex marriage. Then, sex segregationists can sue Christians to force them to attend and serve religious wedding ceremonies Christians find profane.

BTW, every religion's founding holy texts, if they mention marriage at all, always define marriage as male and female. None of the world's religions has same sex marriage in their founding scripture.

The Religious Freedom and Restoration Act was introduced to the Senate by then Senator Joe Biden, our Vice President. The plaintiffs in Hobby Lobby relied on the law signed by President Clinton.

Speak out against Hamas hiding in mosques and residences; call them haters and terrorists; not political opponents and fellow citizens. ISIS murders gays on the streets of Iraq, is Obama interested in killing our enemies and victory or killing time and our troops?
erasers

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Judged:

Not on this spot
Sins of the Father

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Saturday Jul 12

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Our founding fathers were Christians of many denominations.
No, they were not, and even if they had been, it is irrelevant to the government of the United States, as provided by the First Amendment. If you're unfamiliar with it, which you appear to be, you should look it up.

If the Constitution doesn't impress you, look up the Treaty of Tripoli, which states that "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." It was passed unanimously by the Senate and signed by President John Adams.

You should have paid attention in American History class instead of sniffing glue or whatever it was you were doing.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sunday Jul 13

Judged:

No, they were not, and even if they had been, it is irrelevant to the government of the United States, as provided by the First Amendment. If you're unfamiliar with it, which you appear to be, you should look it up.
The First Amendment gives us freedom of religion. The Hobby Lobby plaintiffs relied on Biden's and Clinton's Religious Freedom and Restoration Act and the court ruled in their favor.

If the Constitution doesn't impress you, look up the Treaty of Tripoli, which states that "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." It was passed unanimously by the Senate and signed by President John Adams.
Obama abrogated that treaty when he bombed the Subjects of Tripoli and executed the Bey of Tripoli. That's one good thing about Obama.

You should have paid attention in American History class instead of sniffing glue or whatever it was you were doing.
^^^I make arguments based on issues, not on the character of other posters; this is where we differ.
summons

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sunday Jul 13

Judged:

WE DON'T CARE TAKE YOUR BS SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Torrance Forum right now

Search the Torrance Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 hr PEE PEE PETE 200,360
Review: Cascade Windows (Jul '10) 13 hr Thoroughly disappointed 45
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Jul 28 snodder 2,252
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Jul 27 Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 27 Facts facts 15,927
Torrance Police substation at Del Amo Fashion C... (Aug '09) Jul 21 Del Amo LP 86
ExxonMobil employee dies from accidental burn i... (Apr '09) Jul 7 Mary 21
•••
•••

Torrance News Video

•••
•••

Torrance Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Torrance People Search