Torrance Police substation at Del Amo Fashion Center closes

Full story: Daily Breeze 86
A Torrance Police Community Center at the Del Amo Fashion Center, which opened in 1987 to combat rising crime, was closed in July by the mall owners. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Job Growth

Orange, CA

#1 Aug 6, 2009
I know alot of my buddies that are Police Officers at The Los Angeles Police Department, whom would really love to work for the mall while off-duty. Most of my Buddies work out the Harbor Division and they are well trained and most importanly respond to many calls of service without the availability of Backup units. Torrance and other south bay cities Police Departments have it easy where they can get back up within a minute to two, yet with LAPD you got to wait at least 5 Minutes for a Patrol Unit to assist you.

I hope they hire some Off Duty LAPD and even some of my buddies from Manhattan Beach PD.
Paul Donahue

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Aug 6, 2009
Another good reason to stay away from the Del Amo Mall.
Carson

United States

#3 Aug 6, 2009
Good thing. I'm tired of being hassled about tinted windows.

Ughh.. never mind... this is kind of scary.
Carson

United States

#5 Aug 6, 2009
I can't believe the racism here. Why would anyone with such sentiments live in Los Angeles? It's not as if this county was ever "white."
...and why would regular patrons of the Hawthorne mall go to Del Amo, isn't the Galleria much closer?
...and no gangbangers? Am I getting confused or isn't Del Amo the nearest mall to Wilmington and Pedro? Gangbangers have been shopping there since it opened. lol
Gert

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Aug 6, 2009
Job Growth wrote:
I know alot of my buddies that are Police Officers at The Los Angeles Police Department, whom would really love to work for the mall while off-duty. Most of my Buddies work out the Harbor Division and they are well trained and most importanly respond to many calls of service without the availability of Backup units. Torrance and other south bay cities Police Departments have it easy where they can get back up within a minute to two, yet with LAPD you got to wait at least 5 Minutes for a Patrol Unit to assist you.
I hope they hire some Off Duty LAPD and even some of my buddies from Manhattan Beach PD.
join tpd then.
mark

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Aug 6, 2009
Now instead of going to the PV mall sometimes I will go there all the time. LASD is up there keeping law and order and the gang members out. Shame on you Torrance the main highway connecting the Thugs from Carson to Torrance is that Mall..Let the looting begin..Now Del Amo is going to look like the Galleria
Militia

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Aug 6, 2009
we don't need cops.

the citizens can take care of themselves.

proven fact, states that are sane and allow permits...crime is next to nothing regarding person on person crime.

with the patriot acts, everything is recorded anyways.
Job Growth

Orange, CA

#9 Aug 6, 2009
Gert wrote:
<quoted text>
join tpd then.
Thanks but No Thanks, haha
Get Real

Torrance, CA

#10 Aug 6, 2009
The Mall says it's not an economic decision????

I call Bull S*it. It is always about the money, otherwise they would increase what they pay and have more cops there...

Off-Duty cops don't have the same resources as on-duty cops, especially if they are from a different police department.
Steve

Redondo Beach, CA

#11 Aug 7, 2009
I grew up with Del Amo Mall. I remember when Sears stood by itself south of Carson St. Orbachs and Montgomery Wards sat in the original mall portion north of Carson St. There was the cart with the lady who sold the lemonade and hand dipped ice cream inside. All fond memories. Now, the "original" portion of the mall is for the most part nothing but cheap knick knack and furniture shops. With maybe a decent retailer somewhere buried in between. The newest section is nice but as several of the comments here indicate, tends to draw the local knuckleheads.
There seems to be plenty of blame to go around here. My 2 small cents go in part to the owners of Del Amo Mall. In the 80's indoor mega malls reigned supreme, with Del Amo Mall here in the west and that super duper huge one they built out east (Minnesota I think) dominating the shopping landscape. However, through the 90's the "shopping experience" moved to the outdoor promenade type of setting. Del Amo continued to languish in the 80's setting. The food court, the setting, decor, stores, the list could go on and on. Take a walk through there and you'll see the original and largest part of the mall is still stuck in the 80's. Most legitimate shoppers tapered off going elsewhere, and the rift raft moved right in. It wasn't until 2005 that the owners decided to finally move into the 90's. And it's a half a---d move at that. The new portion is not very large at all and has a very limited number of shops. Places like The Spectrum, 3rd St Promenade and The Block have left Del Amo in the dust. The Block doesn't sit too far from some less desirable OC neighborhoods but yet the place is always packed with legimate shoppers due to the types of shops and atmosphere they provide for the consumer. Del Amo Mall has failed miserably from that standpoint. Now they're left paying for it. Short of putting a cop every ten feet they're still going to draw undesirable's in there until they wake up and realize what the shopper (who spends the money) wants.
Listen

Glendale, CA

#13 Aug 7, 2009
Did you hear it? It was a cheer from all the ghetto rats who normally inhabit the mall, upon hearing this news. As usual, the owners of the mall are sacrificing safety over money! No worries, I will not be shopping there until TPD returns.
Resident

Fullerton, CA

#14 Aug 7, 2009
I think the mall management got wise to TPD officers doing nothing except socializing at the substation. They never patrolled the mall unless they were shopping or finding a place to eat. It would take two of them to handle a simple shoplifter call. The mall should hire professional security to include pro-active off-duty officers. TPD is still required by law to respond and handle problems.
LOL

Hacienda Heights, CA

#15 Aug 7, 2009
And we're advertising this fact why?????

DB, please have more sense that this!
LOL

Hacienda Heights, CA

#16 Aug 7, 2009
Steve wrote:
I grew up with Del Amo Mall. I remember when Sears stood by itself south of Carson St. Orbachs and Montgomery Wards sat in the original mall portion north of Carson St. There was the cart with the lady who sold the lemonade and hand dipped ice cream inside. All fond memories. Now, the "original" portion of the mall is for the most part nothing but cheap knick knack and furniture shops. With maybe a decent retailer somewhere buried in between. The newest section is nice but as several of the comments here indicate, tends to draw the local knuckleheads.
There seems to be plenty of blame to go around here. My 2 small cents go in part to the owners of Del Amo Mall. In the 80's indoor mega malls reigned supreme, with Del Amo Mall here in the west and that super duper huge one they built out east (Minnesota I think) dominating the shopping landscape. However, through the 90's the "shopping experience" moved to the outdoor promenade type of setting. Del Amo continued to languish in the 80's setting. The food court, the setting, decor, stores, the list could go on and on. Take a walk through there and you'll see the original and largest part of the mall is still stuck in the 80's. Most legitimate shoppers tapered off going elsewhere, and the rift raft moved right in. It wasn't until 2005 that the owners decided to finally move into the 90's. And it's a half a---d move at that. The new portion is not very large at all and has a very limited number of shops. Places like The Spectrum, 3rd St Promenade and The Block have left Del Amo in the dust. The Block doesn't sit too far from some less desirable OC neighborhoods but yet the place is always packed with legimate shoppers due to the types of shops and atmosphere they provide for the consumer. Del Amo Mall has failed miserably from that standpoint. Now they're left paying for it. Short of putting a cop every ten feet they're still going to draw undesirable's in there until they wake up and realize what the shopper (who spends the money) wants.
Hey...being a local, do you recall the name of the drive thru dairy that used to be on...I think it was Hawthorne?
wow

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Aug 7, 2009
just send the cops over to hawthorne fpr surveillance , as they normally are in that city chasing suspects and potential alleged felons , for days
wow

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Aug 7, 2009
Job Growth wrote:
lapd is great , not manhattan !!!! to whimpy , i am off duty tijuana and ready fer hire , gracias amigo , also pinkerton security or off duty reno 911 deputys will work dat mall
PIFFEL

Huntington Beach, CA

#19 Aug 7, 2009
whiteflight wrote:
<quoted text
I voted for Obama...
How's that change work'n for ya?
Change

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Aug 7, 2009
PIFFEL wrote:
<quoted text>
How's that change work'n for ya?
So far so good. Iraq war is coming to an end. Health care will be reformed (although not a single-payer system - not that he ever promised that). Latina appointed to the Supreme Court. Republicans still reeling from loss and clinging to Bobby Jindal and Sarah Palin as their future. Democrat registrations keep going up. Republican registrations keep going down. Pretty soon Gays will serve openly in the military. Gitmo will close. No more torture. More and more Republican "moralists" caught with their pants down cheating on their spouses.

Change is great. Thanks for asking.
Huh

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Aug 7, 2009
What's going on? This story has been up a few hours and no meaningless riddles attacking Scotto and the Council?

You're dropping the ball, pudgy.
Gardena PD is a joke

Sylmar, CA

#22 Aug 7, 2009
You know I really dont go to the mall anymore because of it's THUG LIFE but now for sure I wont go. The policy they have up everywhere is a joke. Go there anytime and you will see misfits every where. I have small kids and do not like having them in a place where I feel they wont be safe. Regardless of White, Asian, Latino or Black, punks are punks and not until the parents start being held accountable will things in society change. Andrews is a really good security company and I hope they really do bring on off duty patrol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Del Amo Fashion Center owners announce $200M up... (Aug '10) Oct 15 SMR 134
ASK THE LAWYER: Lawyers can be certified as spe... (Jun '09) Oct 13 maryjaneprincton 3
South Bay hospitals work to reduce emergency ro... Oct 5 Kate Smith 1
Do you approve of Pat Furey as Council Member? Sep 28 Frank Scotto 1
Do you approve of FRANK SCOTTO as Mayor? Sep 28 Pat Furey 1
Father, son had sought new life (Jul '08) Sep 21 eff outta here 224
An era closes for Schullers and their congregants (Jun '12) Sep '14 R Schuller 3

Torrance News Video

Torrance Dating
Find my Match

Torrance Jobs

Torrance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Torrance News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Torrance

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]