Torrance police cite 42 in traffic sting

Torrance police cite 42 in traffic sting

There are 113 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Sep 22, 2010, titled Torrance police cite 42 in traffic sting. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

More police news Police cited 42 drivers Wednesday morning for failing to yield to pedestrians during a sting operation in Torrance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1 Sep 22, 2010
How long does a traffic ticket take to write up? 15 min? There must have been 10 cops to make 42 citations in 1 hour.
OMG

Pleasanton, CA

#2 Sep 22, 2010
Nice little revenue enhancer.
fed up

Potomac, MD

#3 Sep 22, 2010
Whats the rumpus wrote:
How long does a traffic ticket take to write up? 15 min? There must have been 10 cops to make 42 citations in 1 hour.
you could write them faster right? observe the infraction, pull the car over safely,get the D.L. and check the driver for any problems he or she may be having that might have caused the issue? then run the person to be sure you did not have a wanted person that might be on americas most wanted on saturday? but you could do it in less than 15 minutes. my next question to you is why did you not become a cop yourself then..........
South Bay Dude

Bellflower, CA

#4 Sep 22, 2010
I wish they would do that on RBB & MBB by ECC & Alondra Park. People driving while texting & distracted are likely candidates to hit pedestrians.
Corrupt-O-Crats

Redondo Beach, CA

#6 Sep 22, 2010
South Bay Dude wrote:
I wish they would do that on RBB & MBB by ECC & Alondra Park. People driving while texting & distracted are likely candidates to hit pedestrians.
Not to mention the pedistrians not following the laws too. Jay-walking, crossing when it says "don't walk", crossing against a red, not using the crosswalk, not looking both ways, etc, etc, etc ...

I've seen people step into the crosswalk WITHOUT even looking. The law may be on the pedistrians side, but is it worth getting hit or even killed ???
Torrance PD is lame

Pacific Palisades, CA

#7 Sep 22, 2010
fed up wrote:
<quoted text>you could write them faster right? observe the infraction, pull the car over safely,get the D.L. and check the driver for any problems he or she may be having that might have caused the issue? then run the person to be sure you did not have a wanted person that might be on americas most wanted on saturday? but you could do it in less than 15 minutes. my next question to you is why did you not become a cop yourself then..........
Because he probably didn't want to throw his life away and become a worthless piece of pork. Give me a break, why don't torrance cops go back to doing actual police work, wait a minute, they never have!
Ron

Redondo Beach, CA

#8 Sep 22, 2010
South Bay Dude wrote:
Especially pedestrians that cross without looking to see that cars see them. Pedestrians take for granted that the cars are stopping and it doesn't help when they have ipods in there ears and or are texting when stepping into the street. I hate that why don't they get tickets for that. Some times they are there own worst enemy.
Trash Man

Redondo Beach, CA

#9 Sep 22, 2010
Sting operations should be illegal.
TICKETED

Pasadena, CA

#10 Sep 22, 2010
Note that this intersection was in an Industrial Park across the street from a large parking lot along the west end of the Airport. THERE IS NO INTERSECTION there. I was ticketed and did not see any pedestrian. The "pedestrian" was on the opposite side of the street awaiting to cross. From now on I will stop on this busy blvd if any pedestrian is standing on the curb at this crosswalk.
the law

Pasadena, CA

#11 Sep 22, 2010
CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE 21950 STATES THAT:
(a) The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
(b) This section does not relieve a pedestrian from the duty of due care for his or her safety. No pedestrian may suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard. No pedestrian may unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
(c) The driver of a vehicle approaching a pedestrian within any marked or unmarked crosswalk shall exercise all due care and shall reduce the speed of the vehicle or take any other action relating to the operation of the vehicle as necessary to safeguard the safety of the pedestrian.
(d) Subdivision (b) does not relieve a driver of a vehicle from the duty of exercising due care for the safety of any pedestrian within any unmarked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.
Notice these subdivisions do not necessarily require a motorist to wait for a crossing-walking pedestrian to completely leave the crosswalk and step onto the curb before a driver may lawfully pass. Instead, the statute requires only that a driver yield the right-of-way to pedestrians [subsection (a)], and to exercise "all due care," [Subsection {c}. Vehicle Code 525 defines right-of-way as "the privilege of the immediate use of the highway."
Torrance

Torrance, CA

#12 Sep 22, 2010
This year I saw a pedestrian crossing sting operation in Motebello in the middle of a busy street without a crosswalk. At one point the cop stepped onto the street and a car passed, it didn't have time to stop and they still got a ticket. I have thought about it a lot and wished I had gone over and given the driver my number as a witness. They pulled over alot, probably had 15 motorcycle cops. They were ticketing people on both sides for not stopping. I really don't have a lot of respect for the way it was run.
Tom

Highland, CA

#14 Sep 22, 2010
Peds should yield to all wheeled traffic, when crossing a street not controlled by a traffic signal.
In other words, take responsibility for your actions, manage your own risk; don't depend on drivers to stop...
Corrupt-O-Crats

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Sep 22, 2010
Torrance wrote:
This year I saw a pedestrian crossing sting operation in Motebello in the middle of a busy street without a crosswalk. At one point the cop stepped onto the street and a car passed, it didn't have time to stop and they still got a ticket. I have thought about it a lot and wished I had gone over and given the driver my number as a witness. They pulled over alot, probably had 15 motorcycle cops. They were ticketing people on both sides for not stopping. I really don't have a lot of respect for the way it was run.
I remember getting caught up in one of these ridiculous stings (in Gardena) a while back, and the cop just kept walking back and forth without resting or stopping. All he did was create a traffic jam.

When I pulled up to the intersection where this was taking place I yelled at the cop to "knock that crap off".

Since: May 10

Van Nuys, CA

#16 Sep 22, 2010
Knowing the Torrance police I'm guessing they had a real slow moving pedestrian and ticketed cars who drove through the other end of the crosswalk, far from the pedestrian in question. I imagine your not allowed to drive through a crosswalk if there is a ped located anywhere in it if we were all to follow the letter of the law.

Traffic needs to move around here and life is too short, if you're not endangering somebody why wait? If somebody intentionally recklessly turns inches in front of a pedestrian that's one thing but who does that? In my experience as a pedestrian and a driver I nearly always see peds given an adequate berth in crosswalks. Laws or no laws, everybody I've met prefer not to hit people while they drive.

The police's priority needs to be drivers who are driving recklessly and are actually a threat to somebody, there are enough of them out there without having to entrap people.
you gotta be kiddin

West Hills, CA

#17 Sep 22, 2010
The motorcycle cops should follow ambulances and get all the people that don't pull over for emergency vehicles. It's mind numbing how many people don't care.
Wow

Mission Viejo, CA

#18 Sep 22, 2010
Good. All I can say is GOOD!!!!

Yippee, break the law, get a ticket :)
Will

Monterey Park, CA

#19 Sep 22, 2010
Good vs Evil wrote:
<quoted text>
The same reason they have 15 TPD on you when they pull ANYONE over, nothing better to do....Yes people, also known as low crime rate city. Yipee.
"Low crime rate City" because of the way they handle business you foolish little boy... keep it up TPD!
ole Bob

Whittier, CA

#20 Sep 22, 2010
These stings are nothing more than 90 minutes of entrapment run by the police to take money from citizens.

Burbank runs the stings with a pink bunny costume. The contempt for the public displayed by these stings is palpable.

The legislature needs to reel in the ability of the departments to profit from their activities. They have grown to consider money from fines as "their money" when in reality fines are a debt to society that has come due, and the monies should be shared by all.
Cant fight City Hall

North Hollywood, CA

#21 Sep 22, 2010
Some folks are questioning the timing of the "pedestrian". The plainclothes cop or whomever they use steps off the curb when the car is already in the crosswalk or is too close to stop. These stings raise awareness but are not always conducted fairly.
I'd rather see the cops ticketing texting drivers and drivers holding cell phones.
Lulz

Torrance, CA

#22 Sep 22, 2010
Colleagues? Sounds like entrapment. These cops were intentionally impeding rush-hour traffic. What scum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Torrance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr stupid republicans 20,391
Review: Pro Elim Photo Photography (Nov '14) Jul 24 Kristen 5
News Some say it's time California had statewide rul... Jul 24 Le Jimbo 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Redondo Beach (Oct '15) Jul 22 Anonymous 37
What is the back story re Scottsdale Townhomes (Apr '10) Jul 21 Sickofit 15
New Local Youth Baseball Club Jul 20 cammac84 1
What has happened to Lynwood? (Dec '05) Jul 19 madrachod 1,094

Torrance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Torrance Mortgages